Joe (the cat) just made a 4+ foot leap to catch a fly in midair.   :great:

And then ate it.  :confused:

Starne #22842 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 05:59

Major

• Players
  • 7501 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 11 2018 - 21:47, said:

Under a merit-based system, Donald Trump wouldn't have been able to immigrate to the US...

The ( small 'r' ) republican in me has been interested in the idea of merit-based citizenship for awhile now.

If I were setting up a system, the bar for resident status would be relatively low, and it would be awarded as a birthright to anyone either born on the soil of [country] or with at least one parent with residency status. Residents would pay taxes, and be eligible for all the services available to citizens, but they would not be able to vote, serve on juries, hold elected or appointed public office, hold an officer's commission in the military, or serve in certain civil service positions. The requirements for a resident, whether native-born or naturalized, to become a citizen would be something along these lines: Completion of a standard 16 year education (2 years of preschool, plus the 12 years of primary education, and two years of vocational, technical or liberal arts education, all provided at little or no cost to residents) or the equivalent, the ability to demonstrate a basic knowledge of civics and current events, proven through satisfactory completion of a written or oral exam, and either documentation proving a certain number of annual hours of public/community service, or a assenting to a legally-binding commitment to serve at least X (4?) years in either the military or public service, with placement to be determined by a battery of aptitude tests.

Citizenship status would last for 10 years, to be renewed through completing the civic knowledge exam again and providing documentation of ongoing community service. Knowingly cheating on any of the above-mentioned exams, knowingly falsifying any documentation or failing to complete an agreed-to term of public service without being released from such is grounds for the immediate revocation of citizenship, and permanent exclusion from citizenship. Felony-level crimes also result in the revocation of citizenship in addition to any other sentence rendered, and the convicted cannot reapply for citizenship until they have served whatever sentence they have been given. A lapse of citizenship results in the individual in question being immediately removed from any elected or appointed public office and being either demoted or terminated from any military or civil service position requiring citizenship.

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

Kinda draconian, and would probably be hell to make work in practice and police against abuses. But then, isn't every system difficult to make work in practice and police against abuses?

Edited by Starne, Jan 12 2018 - 06:12.

Avalon304 #22843 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 06:04

Major

• Players
  • 17352 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

Bungie seems to want to address the issues the community has been complaining about...

https://www.bungie.n...tail/News/46567

It sounds good.

DerViktim #22844 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 07:33

Major

• Players
  • 18287 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

And now for something completely different. Just came across this...

http://www.familyguyyourself.com/

It is kinda scary how close you can get....

Avalon304 #22845 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 07:42

Major

• Players
  • 17352 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostDerViktim, on Jan 11 2018 - 23:33, said:

And now for something completely different. Just came across this...

http://www.familyguyyourself.com/

It is kinda scary how close you can get....

Well... that was an interesting distraction. Got pretty close, but not exact.

EDIT: Messed around on the WoWs public test (mostly to get the rewards for the live server).

Not impressed with Yamato. I know its the Yamato... and its guns can lol-overmatch anything in the game. And I dont mind slow lumbering BBs, but it just didnt feel nice to play.

Much more impressed with torpedo acceleration on Shimakaze. The 12km torps go down to 9.6km and go something like 72 knots which give the best balance of speed/damage/range. Tried the 8km torps, and getting those down to 6.4km was hilarious with their 81 knot speed. Made them nearly impossible to dodge, but I dont really think theyre practical (that being said I probably would run with them sometimes just to meme).

Gonna try Midway tomorrow... see if the Skillway is worth the grind (not that I'll stop now since Im at tier 7). Maybe try Des Memes again too. Liked the DPM.

Edited by Avalon304, Jan 12 2018 - 10:00.

SpectreHD #22846 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 10:21

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16333 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostAvalon304, on Jan 12 2018 - 14:42, said:

EDIT: Messed around on the WoWs public test (mostly to get the rewards for the live server).

What reward is that?

Razven #22847 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 10:35

Major

• Players
  • 42 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 12 2018 - 03:52, said:

Maybe things have changed here, but it is my lifelong experience from my location in place and time that a middle-aged man trying to support a family should view a minimum-wage job as a temporary arrangement to "get by" while seeking other better employment.   And that 16-year-old line-cook doesn't need a living wage, he should be in school and working to save for college, for spending money, etc. 

>that 16-year-old line-cook doesn't need a living wage

Honestly, who are we to judge why this hypothetical person needs the money. If he's working instead of going to school, he should be paid for it.

View PostDerViktim, on Jan 12 2018 - 04:09, said:

Last I knew Raz was in Asia somewhere. Different perspectives and different situation.

Also, EVERYONE working deserves a living wage. Period. Full stop. The idea that any job is "lesser" than any other job is laughable. I wasn't always an I.T. guy. I've cleaned floors, cleaned toilets, cleaned and stocked bars, was a janitor in a meat processing plant, stocked shelves, worked as a meat clerk (did the job of a night manager/apprentice for part time pay because it got me more hours), and many other "dirty menial jobs". It gave me a lot of perspective on just how important those job are. There is a dignity in an honest day's work and nobody that does an honest day's work should need to be on welfare or any other form of public assistance. You're entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to think you are dead wrong.

A living wage is not only about supporting a family, having a car or having nice things, it's about having the means to start moving up. And while we are on this topic...

It is a bad time to let you guys know that I've reestablished contact with an old high school friend who is now in a cushy job, owns his own house and earns approximately 5 times what I get by lying about his previous work experience and has strongly recommended that I do the same if I, in his words, "Want to get anywhere in life." He continued with a lecture that nobody needs integrity nor honesty and that most of his work he privately hands off to his underlings who actually do know how things work and outsources most of the work at an inflated figure and receives kickbacks for it.

Daigensui #22848 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 11:06

Major

• Players
  • 27751 battles
  • [KANCO] KANCO

View PostRazven, on Jan 12 2018 - 01:35, said:

It is a bad time to let you guys know that I've reestablished contact with an old high school friend who is now in a cushy job, owns his own house and earns approximately 5 times what I get by lying about his previous work experience and has strongly recommended that I do the same if I, in his words, "Want to get anywhere in life." He continued with a lecture that nobody needs integrity nor honesty and that most of his work he privately hands off to his underlings who actually do know how things work and outsources most of the work at an inflated figure and receives kickbacks for it.

That sort of crook always come crashing down within five years.

GoldMountain #22849 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 11:11

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 41 battles

If they have the gift of the gab, they can get away with just knowing barely enough and keep doing it.

They often screw over a lot of people in the mean time. It's completely disgusting but there are some who are good enough at it that they can keep it going for as long as possible.

Daigensui #22850 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 11:21

Major

• Players
  • 27751 battles
  • [KANCO] KANCO

Avalon304 #22851 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 11:27

Major

• Players
  • 17352 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostSpectreHD, on Jan 12 2018 - 02:21, said:

What reward is that?

Listed here:

https://worldofwarsh...common/pt070-2/

Nothing too spectacular, but nice to get.

Razven #22852 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 11:33

Major

• Players
  • 42 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostDaigensui, on Jan 12 2018 - 18:06, said:

That sort of crook always come crashing down within five years.

The part of me that stands for honesty and integrity wants to see him go down in flames; the friendship side insists on me wishing him good luck; the money side says I join in, right now.

View PostGoldMountain, on Jan 12 2018 - 18:11, said:

If they have the gift of the gab, they can get away with just knowing barely enough and keep doing it.

They often screw over a lot of people in the mean time. It's completely disgusting but there are some who are good enough at it that they can keep it going for as long as possible.

He's already screwing over people, namely another friend from high school and I. I'm somewhat displeased with my current jobs and he's offered me some freelance work. I write (actually, let's say "rehash" ) articles for him at the supposed price of $30USD a pop and I get to keep $10 and I have to give him back $20 into his private account.

Somewhat displeased by this arrangement that we have. The guy does literally nothing asides from attaching some examples for me to work with and gets a cool $80USD a day for 3 minutes of work.

Edited by Razven, Jan 12 2018 - 12:19.

Zergling #22853 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 11:45

Major

• Players
  • 16721 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

The housing market in Australia is kinda insane; it is in a massive bubble that is sure to pop at some point or another, and when it does there is gonna be massive amounts of money lost.

View PostDaigensui, on Jan 12 2018 - 20:21, said:

Being a total nerd, I'm annoyed they got the Star Destroyer from Star Wars wrong. It is depicted as an Imperial class which is 1600 meters long, not 900 meters. 900 meters would be the length of the no longer canon Victory class.

FrozenKemp #22854 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 12:32

Major

• Players
  • 43763 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 11 2018 - 23:58, said:

With apologies to the cartoon.... 

GO JOE!

Shrike58 #22855 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 12:51

Major

• Players
  • 60831 battles
  • [SG] SG

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 11 2018 - 23:58, said:

Low fat protein!

Shrike58 #22856 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 12:57

Major

• Players
  • 60831 battles
  • [SG] SG

View PostMajorOffensive, on Jan 11 2018 - 17:27, said:

For anyone who doesn't know, WG announced that Holiday Ops rewards must be redeemed by 6 February.  Quite a bit sooner than the mid-March they announced originally.

True...but the only thing I need to cash in yet is the Tier-IX price discount...not sure that I'll have the Mauschen or the new French Tier-IX heavy unlocked by then.

Life_In_Black #22857 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 13:11

Major

• Players
  • 24841 battles
  • [KGS] KGS

View PostShrike58, on Jan 12 2018 - 06:57, said:

True...but the only thing I need to cash in yet is the Tier-IX price discount...not sure that I'll have the Mauschen or the new French Tier-IX heavy unlocked by then.

You don't need it unlocked to apply the discount.

FrozenKemp #22858 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 14:16

Major

• Players
  • 43763 battles

View PostShrike58, on Jan 12 2018 - 06:51, said:

Low fat protein!

Free range and organic! 

KilljoyCutter #22859 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 14:32

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostRazven, on Jan 12 2018 - 04:35, said:

Honestly, who are we to judge why this hypothetical person needs the money. If he's working instead of going to school, he should be paid for it.

A living wage is not only about supporting a family, having a car or having nice things, it's about having the means to start moving up. And while we are on this topic...

Might be one of those country-difference things... A lot of American kids who don't NEED a dime to support themselves still get jobs to save up money for stuff they want, college expensive, etc 

Where the US fails a lot of kids isn't in how much they're paid for their part-time jobs, it's in the dire lack of quality in their educations.   While part of me bristles at the thought of people choosing to have children they can't afford to raise, it's not the children's fault, statistically every dollar spent on education of kids coming out of poverty and low-income situations has been shown to result in saving ten or more dollars that would have been spent on "assistance programs" (or prisons...) later in their lives, and I want the people around me (and the resulting society) to be educated and savvy and erudite.

SpectreHD #22860 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 16:06

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16333 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Jan 12 2018 - 21:32, said:

Might be one of those country-difference things... A lot of American kids who don't NEED a dime to support themselves still get jobs to save up money for stuff they want, college expensive, etc 

Where the US fails a lot of kids isn't in how much they're paid for their part-time jobs, it's in the dire lack of quality in their educations.   While part of me bristles at the thought of people choosing to have children they can't afford to raise, it's not the children's fault, statistically every dollar spent on education of kids coming out of poverty and low-income situations has been shown to result in saving ten or more dollars that would have been spent on "assistance programs" (or prisons...) later in their lives, and I want the people around me (and the resulting society) to be educated and savvy and erudite.

Agreed. Education and not necessarily about going to college, but learning trade skills should be improved.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users

Avalon304, SpectreHD, WotanX