• Players
  • 57437 battles

View PostStarne, on Jan 13 2018 - 19:29, said:

Submarines! April 4th game mode:

I-201 as our "destroyer"

Type IX as our "light cruiser"

Balao as our "heavy cruiser"

Surcourf as our "battleship"

I-400 as our "Aircraft Carrier" (One-plane squadrons)

'Submerge' is a consumable that lasts 2 minutes at a time (with a 2 minute cool-down), unless cancelled early. The ship is completely undetectable except at 1km or less during this period. Spotting range is reduced to 5km and only torpedoes can be fired. The ship is immune to all incoming fire, except torpedoes. I-400 cannot launch or retrieve aircraft while submerged (in case that needed to be said).

sounds pretty interesting

Dragon_Witch #22942 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 01:53

Major

• Players
  • 11681 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Jan 13 2018 - 19:28, said:

*sigh* What a waste... I could probably live the rest of my life off that much money without ever having to work...

I don't know what I would do with most of the money if I were to win.  I just know that a tank would appear in my yard so fast that it'd make your head spin.

Avalon304 #22943 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 02:13

Major

• Players
  • 18480 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostEmpressNero, on Jan 13 2018 - 17:53, said:

I don't know what I would do with most of the money if I were to win.  I just know that a tank would appear in my yard so fast that it'd make your head spin.

I might do that... Centurions are probably pretty cheap (compared to other tanks)... but Id be more likely to just live modestly and let the money collect interest and live off of it.  I would however buy a car that isnt 20 years old... lol

Starne #22944 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 02:16

Major

• Players
  • 7533 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostAvalon304, on Jan 13 2018 - 19:28, said:

*sigh* What a waste... I could probably live the rest of my life off that much money without ever having to work...

Oh no, you underestimate the unfathomable depths of this dude's stupidity. The maximum prize to which he was entitled was over $450 million. By taking the one-time lump sum, he screwed himself out of over $200 million.

If he had taken a structured payout, he would've enjoyed about $20 million a year for 20 years. Call it $15 million or so after taxes.

With that amount of money, someone could give $5 million a year to charity, keep $5 million as "spending money" and put $5 million away into stuff like stocks, bonds, and funds every year. After 20 years, you'd have $100 million, likely more, squirreled away and gaining interest. You'd have given $100 million (or more) to charity, and still have enough money saved up from the leftovers of your annual "spending money" to live out the rest of your life extremely comfortably. PLUS, your children, grandchildren and quite possibly great-grandchildren would likely be able to live their entire lives, from birth to death, never having to worry about paying bills or working long hours to make ends meet. Plus, there's no reason you couldn't continue "working" 10 hours a week or so to keep yourself busy and be able to put just a little bit more money away.

Of course, the kind of person that wins the lottery and takes the one-time lump sum doesn't think that way, do they?

Edited by Starne, Jan 14 2018 - 02:19.

Avalon304 #22945 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 02:19

Major

• Players
  • 18480 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostStarne, on Jan 13 2018 - 18:16, said:

Oh no, you underestimate the unfathomable depths of this dude's stupidity. The maximum prize to which he was entitled was over $450 million. By taking the one-time lump sum, he screwed himself out of over $200 million.

If he had taken a structured payout, he would've enjoyed about $20 million a year for 20 years. Call it $15 million or so after taxes.

With that amount of money, someone could give $5 million a year to charity, keep $5 million as "spending money" and put $5 million away into stuff like stocks, bonds, and funds every year. After 20 years, you'd have $100 million, likely more, squirreled away and gaining interest. You'd have given $100 million (or more) to charity, and still have enough money saved up from the leftovers of your annual "spending money" to live out the rest of your life extremely comfortably. PLUS, your children, grandchildren and quite possibly great-grandchildren would likely be able to live their entire lives, from birth to death, never having to worry about paying bills or working long hours to make ends meet. Plus, there's no reason you couldn't continue "working" 10 hours a week or so to keep yourself busy and be able to put just a little bit more money away.

Of course, the kind of person that wins the lottery and takes the one-time lump sum doesn't think that way, do they?

[edited]... I would have taken the structured payments. Invested most of it, and lived modestly for the rest of my life... jesus [edited]christ Im angry right now... [edited]that guy and all his stupid decisions.

Starne #22946 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 02:28

Major

• Players
  • 7533 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostAvalon304, on Jan 13 2018 - 20:19, said:

[edited]... I would have taken the structured payments. Invested most of it, and lived modestly for the rest of my life... jesus [edited]christ Im angry right now... [edited]that guy and all his stupid decisions.

If it's any consolation, it's extremely likely he'll end up penniless if not in debt and quite possibly dead within 5 years. The vast majority of people that take the lump sum lose it all inside of a decade, and usually end up worse off than they were before they won it. Some do in fact end up dead. Some of them even end up having highly publicized public melt-downs along the lines of "Destitute lottery winner shot and killed by police after holding supermarket customers at gunpoint" or "Lottery winner arrested trying to break into one of the five mansions he purchased with his winnings" or "Lottery winner and guests killed in tragic boating accident: Law enforcement suspects murder-suicide" or my personal favorite (and true story); "Missing lottery winner's remains found buried in fiance's back yard, fiance charged with first degree murder".

The people that take the structured payments usually end up fading into comfortable obscurity, and they end up handling it even better if they don't let it effect their lifestyle too much.

Moral of the story: DO NOT EVER TAKE THE LUMP SUM PAYOUT YOU STUPIDS.

Edited by Starne, Jan 14 2018 - 02:34.

Daigensui #22947 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 02:57

Major

• Players
  • 28410 battles
  • [KANCO] KANCO

View PostStarne, on Jan 13 2018 - 17:28, said:

Moral of the story: DO NOT EVER TAKE THE LUMP SUM PAYOUT YOU STUPIDS.

Given the rate of interest and inflation, taking the structured payment is usually taking less money over the long run.

The problem is that most people don't do well with the lump payments to take advantage of getting the money upfront.

Dragon_Witch #22948 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 02:59

Major

• Players
  • 11681 battles

Remember that Extreme Home Makeover show that was really popular a few years back?  For those of you who don't know, the premise of the show  was that people would call in and say "Our house is total crap and we have a mortgage and there's 20 of us living in the house.  Help us"  And they'd show up, send the family on vacation, and rebuild the house with all these nice customization and basically made the house personalized to the family.  My favorite story about that show was a family who got their house made over.  Part of the package that came with the makeover was that the house was completely paid off.  They owned the house.  Within 2 years they had lost everything.  Turns out they had mortgaged the house to the hilt to buy some construction equipment and start a company that quickly went insolvent.  The moral of the story?  I dunno. 

Starne #22949 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 03:01

Major

• Players
  • 7533 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostDaigensui, on Jan 13 2018 - 20:57, said:

Given the rate of interest and inflation, taking the structured payment is usually taking less money over the long run.

The problem is that most people don't do well with the lump payments to take advantage of getting the money upfront.

And why risk it? The amount you might lose to inflation can be mitigated by investing it in a diverse portfolio rather than just letting it sit in an account, and you pretty much minimize the risk of losing it all, either due to a prolonged rush of crap to the brain, or something beyond your control (beyond things like societal collapse or an extinction-level event).

Edited by Starne, Jan 14 2018 - 03:01.

Zergling #22950 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 04:14

Major

• Players
  • 16721 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

So, about 2 weeks ago TheB33f posted a video about a salty puglord in MWO:

Spoiler

And today TheB33f posted another video; the return of the salty puglord, now with death threats!

Spoiler

I went and looked through my own videos, because that name ringed a bell, and found that [edited]head doing what he does in one of my games too:

Spoiler

So yeah, I hope that guy gets a permanent ban from MWO.

SpectreHD #22951 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 04:26

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16514 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostAvalon304, on Jan 14 2018 - 09:13, said:

I might do that... Centurions are probably pretty cheap (compared to other tanks)... but Id be more likely to just live modestly and let the money collect interest and live off of it.  I would however buy a car that isnt 20 years old... lol

Same here. Except maybe the tank part. I might get a Stryker or an MRAP though. Seems more reasonable.

As for cars though. I'd definitely get a Challenger and Charger Hellcat, and a normal Charger as an everyday driver.

View PostZergling, on Jan 14 2018 - 11:14, said:

So, about 2 weeks ago TheB33f posted a video about a salty puglord in MWO:

Spoiler

And today TheB33f posted another video; the return of the salty puglord, now with death threats!

Spoiler

I went and looked through my own videos, because that name ringed a bell, and found that [edited]head doing what he does in one of my games too:

Spoiler

So yeah, I hope that guy gets a permanent ban from MWO.

Wow that guys gives Aussies a bad name. Usually Aussies can take the piss but this guy...

I like how he tells people in the first video to let him play his own game, others play theirs but proceeds to tell you how to play with your LBK.

Edited by SpectreHD, Jan 14 2018 - 08:18.

Starne #22952 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 04:47

Major

• Players
  • 7533 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostEmpressNero, on Jan 13 2018 - 20:59, said:

Remember that Extreme Home Makeover show that was really popular a few years back?  For those of you who don't know, the premise of the show  was that people would call in and say "Our house is total crap and we have a mortgage and there's 20 of us living in the house.  Help us"  And they'd show up, send the family on vacation, and rebuild the house with all these nice customization and basically made the house personalized to the family.  My favorite story about that show was a family who got their house made over.  Part of the package that came with the makeover was that the house was completely paid off.  They owned the house.  Within 2 years they had lost everything.  Turns out they had mortgaged the house to the hilt to buy some construction equipment and start a company that quickly went insolvent.  The moral of the story?  I dunno. 

Several possible morals. People don't do well with sudden windfalls. Betting the farm (or house) rarely pays off. Don't dive head-first into a capital intensive business if you aren't prepared to lose it all. If you can't afford to lose it, don't use it.

View PostSpectreHD, on Jan 13 2018 - 22:26, said:

Same here. Except maybe the tank part. I might get a Stryker or an MRAP though. Seems more reasonable.

As for cars though. I'd definitely get a Challenger and Charger Hellcat, and a normal Charger as an everyday driver.

I'd probably buy myself a Tesla Model X, not exactly the most practical vehicle, but it's got some "ooh" factor, and I'd just as well support a noble cause (Electric vehicles, not Musk's megalomania). Would probably end up driving my 2005 Camry (:teethhappy:) until after I graduated and moved out of state, though. Most Florida cities aren't forward-thinking enough to have readily accessible charging stations.

A cousin of mine who made a fortune as a government contractor owns a 2015 Shelby Mustang. It lives in his garage. He drives it maybe three or four times a year but doesn't have the heart to put it up on a stand. It's like riding in the cockpit of an airplane. Doing 150mph on country roads isn't exactly my thing, though.

Other toys I'd be interested to own if I won the lottery would be a Mosin-Nagant, a 98K and a M1 Garand in shootable condition.

Edited by Starne, Jan 14 2018 - 04:51.

cipher12 #22953 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 05:16

Major

• Players
  • 11752 battles
As someone who lives like a student I cant imagine what to do with that much money. Not that I have to worry about such things as I dont play the lottery since its just a tax for people who are bad with money.

Starne #22954 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 05:47

Major

• Players
  • 7533 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Postcipher12, on Jan 13 2018 - 23:16, said:

As someone who lives like a student I cant imagine what to do with that much money. Not that I have to worry about such things as I dont play the lottery since its just a tax for people who are bad with money.

Lottery tickets are cheap if you only buy a few and don't buy them compulsively. Besides, I rarely indulge in vices so buying a few lottery tickets once in awhile makes a good guilty pleasure.

The Roy Moore wing of the GOP just won't give it up. The new target of their impotent rage? Alabama's other Senator, Richard Shelby, who made the mistake of issuing a public statement that he couldn't in good conscience vote for or support Moore. They're demanding that the Alabama GOP formally censure Shelby and that he resign for "Betraying President Trump and the Republican Party". They've even been sending out waves of robocalls slamming Shelby. The right-wing Texan gazillionaire who is bank-rolling these efforts (I guess outside money is only bad when your opponents are getting it) proudly proclaims that he wants to see Shelby go the way of Bob Corker and Jeff Flake, two GOP senators who are retiring in 2018, he also blames Shelby for "Destroying" the GOP in Alabama. Luther Strange, who Roy Moore defeated in the primary, described the attacks against Shelby as "stunningly dumb".

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/13/roy-moore-richard-shelby-alabama-339185

Funny how the cultists and black-shirts blame everyone but the unelectable child molester and their greasy orange fuhrer for losing the election.

I'm almost tempted to wish Shelby would resign (he was reelected in 2016, so he's not up until 2022) just so Moore could win the Republican nomination again and lose a second time.

KilljoyCutter #22955 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 06:24

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

Most cities don't have much electric vehicle charging, period.

Personally I'm sticking to gas or hybrid until the time to "refuel" problem is worked out, it makes long distance travel l by car tedious at best.

Maybe my power being out right now has me extra irked about electric anything.

Want to go to sleep.   Can't sleep in "silence", always have TV or radio on at night to drown out the little noises that keep me awake.  Hoping tablet will hold out on battery until the power comes back, so I can play music.

stalkervision #22956 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 07:00

Major

• Players
  • 57437 battles

Avalon304 #22957 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 07:29

Major

• Players
  • 18480 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

So... Ive not played Modern WoT, like actively played a battle in like a year and a half now, but through taking part in their advent calendar and activating bonus codes from youtubers... Ive nearly unlocked the XM1A3... this is hilarious.

EDIT: How to unlock the final task of the DoY campaign in one battle by getting 4 of the 6 stars:

Spoiler

EDIT: Das Replay: https://replayswows.com/replay/14106

Edited by Avalon304, Jan 14 2018 - 12:01.

Razven #22958 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 12:26

Major

• Players
  • 42 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Poststalkervision, on Jan 14 2018 - 05:32, said:

got some super glue? Glue the offending t/p thief to the potty seat. Booby trap the seat with spots of S/G beforehand when you know they are about to drop a big daily steamer.

I live in bad area of town, in an apartment owned by the the local gang/triads and my roommates are all "interesting personalities". If I pulled that stunt off, I'd probably end up missing a limb or in a relatively shallow grave.

View PostStarne, on Jan 14 2018 - 05:11, said:

T14 hull with the Jumbo's 6" (stock) turret and the 76mm M1A1, plz.

While we're at it, can we bolt some scrap armor plate onto the front, too?

So in addition to the Mutant 6, we have the Mutant 14.

Dragon_Witch #22959 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 15:07

Major

• Players
  • 11681 battles

View PostStarne, on Jan 13 2018 - 23:47, said:

The Roy Moore wing of the GOP just won't give it up. The new target of their impotent rage? Alabama's other Senator, Richard Shelby, who made the mistake of issuing a public statement that he couldn't in good conscience vote for or support Moore. They're demanding that the Alabama GOP formally censure Shelby and that he resign for "Betraying President Trump and the Republican Party". They've even been sending out waves of robocalls slamming Shelby. The right-wing Texan gazillionaire who is bank-rolling these efforts (I guess outside money is only bad when your opponents are getting it) proudly proclaims that he wants to see Shelby go the way of Bob Corker and Jeff Flake, two GOP senators who are retiring in 2018, he also blames Shelby for "Destroying" the GOP in Alabama. Luther Strange, who Roy Moore defeated in the primary, described the attacks against Shelby as "stunningly dumb".

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/13/roy-moore-richard-shelby-alabama-339185

Funny how the cultists and black-shirts blame everyone but the unelectable child molester and their greasy orange fuhrer for losing the election.

I'm almost tempted to wish Shelby would resign (he was reelected in 2016, so he's not up until 2022) just so Moore could win the Republican nomination again and lose a second time.

He's really fighting the outcome kicking and screaming isn't he?  Probably learned that trick from his victims.

FrozenKemp #22960 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 16:05

Major

• Players
  • 46032 battles
Eww 

54 user(s) are reading this topic

6 members, 46 guests, 2 anonymous users

Starne, cipher12, Tjtod, LordCommanderMilitant, DerViktim, LittleJoeRambler