T110's Sixth Summer of Love and Tolerance

• Please log in to reply
29633 replies to this topic

Starne #27761 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 22:40

Major

• Players
  • 7533 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

Committed suicide by tying his hands and feet, shooting himself in the back several times and then throwing himself from that balcony for good measure, no doubt.

Edited by Starne, Apr 15 2018 - 22:46.

EmpressNero #27762 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 22:41

Major

• Players
  • 11571 battles

View PostStarne, on Apr 15 2018 - 16:40, said:

Committed suicide by tying his hands and feet together, shooting himself in the back several times and throwing himself from that balcony for good measure, no doubt.

No, he fell off the balcony back-first onto some bullets which just so happened to be lying on the ground.

RitaGamer #27763 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 22:52

Major

• Players
  • 2729 battles
  • [ANGRY] ANGRY

Best Marvel DC crossover 

FrozenKemp #27764 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 23:55

Major

• Players
  • 45414 battles

I think Rita is just trolling us with random stuff now ;)

Finally watched Matilda Diary 20.  (Linked on RSR a couple of days ago.)  It was really neat learning that the tank had a pressurized air system for gear changing.  Would never have guessed!

EmpressNero #27765 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 00:08

Major

• Players
  • 11571 battles
More information for Rita about why Portugal is the best country in Europe.

EmpressNero #27766 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 00:31

Major

• Players
  • 11571 battles

R Lee Ermey died today from pneumonia.  He was 74 years old.

LittleJoeRambler #27767 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 00:36

Major

• Players
  • 23522 battles

View PostChairmanMilo, on Apr 15 2018 - 12:19, said:

Time to trigger Far Cry 5 players:

#toosoon

You know, I read someone on Reddit who was musing that the game sort of railroads you into going to Holland Valley first what with the promotional material heavily featuring characters from that region and Dutch nudging you in that direction early on, and I think I know why.

The Holland Valley region is IMO the game at its best in terms of the story, and the gameplay is about the same throughout, so it feels like the best place to be. General consensus seems to be that the game sort of prefers you go Holland Valley->Henbane->Whitetail Mountains but I did Whitetail second because it looked prettier. I don't think the game really reaches that level of story quality past that though, and I kinda wish that the devs would tone down RP from story missions because I had several of them left over from each region after beating them. 

SpectreHD #27768 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 00:39

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16420 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostAvalon304, on Apr 16 2018 - 04:29, said:

You think you want that. But that is awful. Balanced teams have the effect of compressing winrates back toward 50% (49% in this game, because of draws). You can think the argument is bull but its true: in this game you either win or lose, when you balance the teams you wind up giving every team a ~50% chance to win or lose. Thats what happens in games like this.

You can also dislike that WR takes such a high importance, but winning is the point of this game. Win rate shows, with proper context, how often you alone can influence the games that youre in. Yes, damage per game should be used as context for win rate (because anyone can club in tier 5 and get a high win rate with low DPG), but at the end of the day winning is what this game is about.

I find it stupid that solo players think they deserve skill based match making instead of just improving. Not only is random MM more fair, it actually promotes learning how to play and improving. (If thats something a person actually cares about). Whether or not a player wants to do that is a different story, the players who dont will just go from blaming random MM to blaming the skill based MM for their failures, even as they get carried the majority of the time. I wouldnt have started learning and improving under a SBMM system, because there would have been nothing to overcome. In random MM I had to overcome that bad team factor, if I wanted to win and progress faster, so I had to seek out resources to team myself how to become better, to outplay other players who were equal to me and give me more time against players who were better. 

Skill based match making is universally awful. Its awful for the actually good players, its awful for the bad players, its awful for gameplay. (It wouldnt even result in significantly longer matches, because the MM in this game isnt the cause of short matches). Luckily Im pretty sure WG has said they'll never implement skill based MM, so we've dodged that awful bullet.

There we go again. More of that "compression of WR" crap. Teams will not be completely balanced for it to happen. Gameplay will never remain constant for that to happen. You and everyone else needs to get that through your heads. How is swapping some players around after the team has been made even make it possible for that to happen.

You can think it is stupid. I think it is stupid to have be in teams where I have no chances of winning because it is too much to carry. I don't give a damn if things supposedly evens out over a long period of time. I press battle and the only thing I am concerned about is the current match and not some crap to even out 1000 matches down the line. "Random" MM is not fair so long as platooning exists whereby they can significantly alter the odds. So there isn't this random is fair crap when it isn't random to begin with. And somehow I doubt it randoms promotes learning. Players aren't concerned about learning now and I doubt they would be any less concerned even if teams are more balanced when they can still fail to top tiers now. Maybe WG should do something with the way how shared EXP works when players who die can somehow earn equal and more to those that stayed alive. 

Avalon304 #27769 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 00:49

Major

• Players
  • 18003 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

View PostEmpressNero, on Apr 15 2018 - 16:31, said:

Well crap... that sucks.

View PostSpectreHD, on Apr 15 2018 - 16:39, said:

There we go again. More of that "compression of WR" crap. Teams will not be completely balanced for it to happen. Gameplay will never remain constant for that to happen. You and everyone else needs to get that through your heads. How is swapping some players around after the team has been made even make it possible for that to happen.

You can think it is stupid. I think it is stupid to have be in teams where I have no chances of winning because it is too much to carry. I don't give a damn if things supposedly evens out over a long period of time. I press battle and the only thing I am concerned about is the current match and not some crap to even out 1000 matches down the line. "Random" MM is not fair so long as platooning exists whereby they can significantly alter the odds. So there isn't this random is fair crap when it isn't random to begin with. And somehow I doubt it randoms promotes learning. Players aren't concerned about learning now and I doubt they would be any less concerned even if teams are more balanced when they can still fail to top tiers now. Maybe WG should do something with the way how shared EXP works when players who die can somehow earn equal and more to those that stayed alive. 

You dont understand then do you. If every team has a 50% chance of winning then EVERYONE's win rate will eventually compress back toward 50%. That how it will work and has worked in other games. It doesnt matter if the teams are formed balanced or if their balanced after forming, when two balanced teams meet each other, the chance to win for each time will be 50%. When every game is a 50% chance to win or lose then over enough battles everyones individual winrate will eventually equal out around 50%.

Every game I go into I have a chance to win. Period. Im concerned about my plaing in the match and doing what I can to win... not with the other 14 players. Im sorry to say it... but get good. If you go into games and you see yourself having no chance to win then get better. Dont complain about the MM. Just DO BETTER. Random is the most fair way of matching public battles like this. Plattons have no factor in it, theyre still subject to the same random MM as everyone else is. And random MM will promote more learning than skill based will. Random MM gives people the mountain to climb and over come. There will always be people who just dont care, but no one can help them. But for the people who do care and want to get better a random MM provides that obstacle that needs to be overcome. Skill based doesnt.

Get off the SBMM train, its never happening. And it never should. Because it would be awful, like it is in every other game that tries it.

Apache1990 #27770 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 00:59

Major

• Players
  • 34686 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE
Eh, I ran like 55% in AW and that had full WR based MM or something.  Good players are still gonna good because they're outliers.  Doesn't make matches feel any better though knowing that you're using up the good player slot, :­P.

Avalon304 #27771 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 01:00

Major

• Players
  • 18003 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

View PostApache1990, on Apr 15 2018 - 16:59, said:

Eh, I ran like 55% in AW and that had full WR based MM or something.  Good players are still gonna good because they're outliers.  Doesn't make matches feel any better though knowing that you're using up the good player slot, :­P.

AW's skill-influenced MM was awful though. Matches were just as lopsided. Like it was sure pure garbage that they turned it off almost immediately. I think it lasted like a week or 2.

EDIT: Oh yea and since they capped WR at 55% for the purposes of MM players who were actually better than that were actually treated as worse players. There has never been a game company that has ever done SBMM good for the purposes of a random battle mode. Never.

Edited by Avalon304, Apr 16 2018 - 01:11.

FrozenKemp #27772 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 01:28

Major

• Players
  • 45414 battles
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

EmpressNero #27773 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 01:30

Major

• Players
  • 11571 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on Apr 15 2018 - 19:28, said:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

pfft.  You call that a fight?

FrozenKemp #27774 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 01:34

Major

• Players
  • 45414 battles

View PostEmpressNero, on Apr 15 2018 - 19:30, said:

pfft.  You call that a fight?

I just saw an opportunity to use that quote :)  (From the very old movie, Dr Strangelove)

EmpressNero #27775 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 02:07

Major

• Players
  • 11571 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on Apr 15 2018 - 19:34, said:

I just saw an opportunity to use that quote :)  (From the very old movie, Dr Strangelove)

Surely you can't be serious.

Tjtod #27776 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 02:12

Captain

• Players
  • 6540 battles

View PostEmpressNero, on Apr 15 2018 - 21:07, said:

Surely you can't be serious.

Don't call me Shirley,

EmpressNero #27777 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 02:39

Major

• Players
  • 11571 battles
Soooo...  Chief.  It seems to me that, with the ability to choose color swatches on certain camouflage patterns, it would be a good time to re-introduce historically accurate camouflage colors to the British line as a secondary or tertiary color swatch on the affected patterns.

SpectreHD #27778 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 02:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16420 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostAvalon304, on Apr 16 2018 - 07:49, said:

Well crap... that sucks.

You dont understand then do you. If every team has a 50% chance of winning then EVERYONE's win rate will eventually compress back toward 50%. That how it will work and has worked in other games. It doesnt matter if the teams are formed balanced or if their balanced after forming, when two balanced teams meet each other, the chance to win for each time will be 50%. When every game is a 50% chance to win or lose then over enough battles everyones individual winrate will eventually equal out around 50%.

Every game I go into I have a chance to win. Period. Im concerned about my plaing in the match and doing what I can to win... not with the other 14 players. Im sorry to say it... but get good. If you go into games and you see yourself having no chance to win then get better. Dont complain about the MM. Just DO BETTER. Random is the most fair way of matching public battles like this. Plattons have no factor in it, theyre still subject to the same random MM as everyone else is. And random MM will promote more learning than skill based will. Random MM gives people the mountain to climb and over come. There will always be people who just dont care, but no one can help them. But for the people who do care and want to get better a random MM provides that obstacle that needs to be overcome. Skill based doesnt.

Get off the SBMM train, its never happening. And it never should. Because it would be awful, like it is in every other game that tries it.

You don't understand then do you? It isn't going to be 50% exact all match every match. Get off the math formulas and look at the real world scenario. A 50% 50% team will never exist just based on the different players that are in every match. Then we get in game variables like the different vehicles in the match, then the different maps, then the RNG, then the influence on ping etc etc.

Please get off the nonsensical unrealistic tripe of everyone getting  50% WR. It is just plain stupid.

All I want is reduce the disparity between teams.

View PostAvalon304, on Apr 16 2018 - 08:00, said:

AW's skill-influenced MM was awful though. Matches were just as lopsided. Like it was sure pure garbage that they turned it off almost immediately. I think it lasted like a week or 2.

EDIT: Oh yea and since they capped WR at 55% for the purposes of MM players who were actually better than that were actually treated as worse players. There has never been a game company that has ever done SBMM good for the purposes of a random battle mode. Never.

Bull crap. AW had it from the very beginning. No one complained about MM. It is only when they announced MM 2.0 did players know that it existed. Then all the "good" players starting whining. "Wah wah I am sooooooooooooo punished".

Even Garbad recognised that "random" MM isn't random because of platoons. But all the good "wah wah" players didn't entertain his idea of the MM of balancing platoons at the skill level.

Edited by SpectreHD, Apr 16 2018 - 02:52.

Daigensui #27779 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 02:53

Major

• Players
  • 28393 battles
  • [KANCO] KANCO
Pretty generic but fun G.W. Panther match. 4 kills.

Life_In_Black #27780 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 02:55

Major

• Players
  • 25288 battles
  • [KGS] KGS

View PostEmpressNero, on Apr 15 2018 - 20:39, said:

Soooo...  Chief.  It seems to me that, with the ability to choose color swatches on certain camouflage patterns, it would be a good time to re-introduce historically accurate camouflage colors to the British line as a secondary or tertiary color swatch on the affected patterns.

Heck, given you can buy styles and such for vehicles, now is a great time to implement national "styles" to the game. Imagine the money that would be raked in if people could buy German Beute styles for the T-34, or being able to deck out the M48A5 in German Bundeswehr livery. Wargaming would make a damn mint off of it.

69 user(s) are reading this topic

7 members, 61 guests, 1 anonymous users

avenue94, Starne, ChairmanMilo, cipher12, LordCommanderMilitant, ForcestormX, LittleJoeRambler