Jump to content


T110's Sixth Summer of Love and Tolerance


  • Please log in to reply
30570 replies to this topic

Zergling #5881 Posted May 19 2017 - 23:36

    Major

  • Players
  • 16721 battles
  • 8,012
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011

View PostDuty_Remains, on May 20 2017 - 08:27, said:

Well there's also the documented cases of deliberately misleading editing and coverage...

 

Take CNN's misportrayal of the words of a woman's statements during the riots in Milwaukee, that conveniently left out the part that called for targeting white people's property.

 

There's also things like the Wall Street Journal publishing a hit piece against Pewdiepie...

 

There's been a lot of things in the last few years that have made me think that the media industry (fringe and mainstream) simply is not to be trusted and must be treated as a manipulative force pushing an agenda.

 

To be clear this applies to everyone from the smallest YouTubers to Fox News, CNN and sadly, just recently the Associated Press itself.

 

Yeah, I use a variety of sources for most news stories, simply because these days multiple articles are required for some degree of verification, different opinions and for calling out misleading [edited]like your examples.

I even look at the fringe, crackpot and propaganda sites (eg, Breitbart, Infowars, Russia Today) on occasion, just to see other opinions/outlooks, even if I know they are laughably stupid/biased.

 

And the MSM needs to realise that with the new focus on media credibility, they have to step up and be more credible. Not just continue to insist they are more credible, but prove that they are.

 



Duty_Remains #5882 Posted May 19 2017 - 23:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 17145 battles
  • 2,691
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View PostZergling, on May 19 2017 - 16:36, said:

Yeah, I use a variety of sources for most news stories, simply because these days multiple articles are required for some degree of verification, different opinions and for calling out misleading [edited]like your examples.

I even look at the fringe, crackpot and propaganda sites (eg, Breitbart, Infowars, Russia Today) on occasion, just to see other opinions/outlooks, even if I know they are laughably stupid/biased.

 

And the MSM needs to realise that with the new focus on media credibility, they have to step up and be more credible. Not just continue to insist they are more credible, but prove that they are.

 

Well said...

 

I can read anything but to do that I have to put it into the context of that particular outlet's interests and read very carefully to see what they say, how they say it and what the don't mention (which is the first thing I'll look for in alternate coverage).  Recently it took me about 30 minutes of scouring multiple pages of search results on the Dutch elections just to find out whether or not Geert Wilders party had won more or less seats.  I don't like Wilders but that was what had struct me as the most important question in the entire election and it took forever to find a source that even mention how many seats each party won.  Probably because the left side of the Dutch political spectrum got hammered, really hard.

 

The last line of your post is particularly important as that is the root of the media's present problems.  It all comes down to proof: proving themselves and proving their assertions goes hand in hand.

 


 

I've been watching quite a bit of the Ruben Report when I can devote the time to it... but 1 hour plus videos are a slog for me and I have to make considerable use of the pause button to get through them.

 

What I just watched...  It doesn't really deal with the media or Trump much (thankfully in both cases) as the roots of liberal philosophy and it points out some books I should probably read in order to be a better person.


Edited by Duty_Remains, May 19 2017 - 23:53.


Zergling #5883 Posted May 19 2017 - 23:55

    Major

  • Players
  • 16721 battles
  • 8,012
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011

View PostDuty_Remains, on May 20 2017 - 08:45, said:

The last line of your post is particularly important as that is the root of the media's present problems.  It all comes down to proof: proving themselves and proving their assertions goes hand in hand.

 

I don't think the MSM has realised that the rules of 'the game' have changed; with the proliferation of alternate and frequently false news, all media has to be held to higher standards than previously, even if the MSM isn't guilty of any false reporting of its own (which it has been).

 



Duty_Remains #5884 Posted May 20 2017 - 00:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 17145 battles
  • 2,691
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View PostZergling, on May 19 2017 - 16:55, said:

 

I don't think the MSM has realised that the rules of 'the game' have changed; with the proliferation of alternate and frequently false news, all media has to be held to higher standards than previously, even if the MSM isn't guilty of any false reporting of its own (which it has been).

 

 

Especially given how easy it has become to access alternate narratives and do your own fact checking...  Either that or they are somehow overestimating the public's laziness, which boggles the mind.



Zergling #5885 Posted May 20 2017 - 00:06

    Major

  • Players
  • 16721 battles
  • 8,012
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    02-09-2011

WANNA BUY A MECHPACK?

 

 

View PostDuty_Remains, on May 20 2017 - 09:00, said:

Especially given how easy it has become to access alternate narratives and do your own fact checking...  Either that or they are somehow overestimating the public's laziness, which boggles the mind.

 

They are probably just reacting slowly because that is how old formats react when new innovations cause change (in this case, proliferation of the internet media sources, social media and opinion blogs).

They'll adapt in time, but until they do there will be a lot of problems like this whole 'fake news' thing.

 



Legiondude #5886 Posted May 20 2017 - 00:09

    Major

  • Players
  • 20223 battles
  • 23,123
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    08-22-2011

View PostDuty_Remains, on May 19 2017 - 16:45, said:

I've been watching quite a bit of the Ruben Report when I can devote the time to it... but 1 hour plus videos are a slog for me and I have to make considerable use of the pause button to get through them.

I've entered the habit of training my brain to listen to speech at 2x speed(Not for music mind you, but people talking at a camera or mic type stuff, which is alot of Youtube's content), helps free of time I'd waste watching Youtube at normal speed

 

Unfortunately much of that time saved just gets sunk into watching more Youtube videos >_>



TheUDF #5887 Posted May 20 2017 - 00:11

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 8111 battles
  • 1,534
  • Member since:
    07-19-2010

View PostStarne, on May 19 2017 - 14:34, said:

 

I was under the impression that the decision to arm Scharnhorst and Gneisenau with 11inchers instead of 15inchers was a political decision. The factors being that Hitler wanted capital ships NOW, and that waiting for the 15inch guns would've meant delaying the ships in addition to cooler heads being worried that 15inch guns might spook the British admiralty more than 11inchers would.

 

That being said, yes the Hood is consistent with British/Japanese Battlecruiser design (speed and guns at the expense of armor) as compared to German battlecruiser design (speed and armor at the expense of fewer and/or smaller guns).

 

I think it was mainly to try and remain compliant with the huge limitations that Britain and France set on their navy while preparing for later up-gunning when they actually were nearing conflict. Letter of the law, if not in spirit.

 

As for Japanese BC design...they pretty much copied what Britain did verbatim so...



Tishler #5888 Posted May 20 2017 - 00:12

    Major

  • Players
  • 7194 battles
  • 3,380
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    10-05-2011

View PostZergling, on May 19 2017 - 17:55, said:

 

I don't think the MSM has realised that the rules of 'the game' have changed; with the proliferation of alternate and frequently false news, all media has to be held to higher standards than previously, even if the MSM isn't guilty of any false reporting of its own (which it has been).

 

 

Don't forget the media has to do that while working on vastly smaller budgets. 

Posted Image

Digital subscriptions are growing, but not as fast as newspapers are dying.



Duty_Remains #5889 Posted May 20 2017 - 00:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 17145 battles
  • 2,691
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View PostTishler, on May 19 2017 - 17:12, said:

 

Don't forget the media has to do that while working on vastly smaller budgets. 

Posted Image

Digital subscriptions are growing, but not as fast as newspapers are dying.

 

True... but the internet makes things easier and cheaper for them as well.  Also the sooner they change they adapt to the new environment the better for both us and them.

 

EDIT:  I almost wonder if they should focus on targeting waiting room / cafeteria audiences...  That's the only place I touch any kind of actual printed media anymore.


Edited by Duty_Remains, May 20 2017 - 00:27.


cipher12 #5890 Posted May 20 2017 - 00:30

    Major

  • Players
  • 11752 battles
  • 7,194
  • Member since:
    11-17-2011

View PostZergling, on May 20 2017 - 00:06, said:

Even clan tech cant make the Orion good and that Jenner looks like an awkward meme mech.

 

Oh and MWOs client to reset my download after 10gb yup really loving this experience sure wish I had 1st world internet and not British internet.


Edited by cipher12, May 20 2017 - 00:38.


Duty_Remains #5891 Posted May 20 2017 - 00:36

    Major

  • Players
  • 17145 battles
  • 2,691
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View Postcipher12, on May 19 2017 - 17:30, said:

Even clan tech cant make the Orion good and that Jenner looks like an awkward meme mech.

 

The hardpoints are unimpressive across all of those 'mechs... so barring ridiculous quirks I'm expecting them all to be DOA.

 

Interestingly there's another Home Clan being referenced... Star Adder this time.


Edited by Duty_Remains, May 20 2017 - 00:39.


SpectreHD #5892 Posted May 20 2017 - 00:37

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 16513 battles
  • 16,592
  • [TT] TT
  • Member since:
    07-12-2010

View PostDaigensui, on May 20 2017 - 02:51, said:

Am I the only one enjoying WoT at this point?

 

Only because certain issues do not affect you I would say. You don't yearn for the M60A1 or US tech tree changes, don't mind premium ammo and will be unlikely targeted by XVM sniping. Just a guess anyway.

Kenshin2kx #5893 Posted May 20 2017 - 02:58

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 17566 battles
  • 5,799
  • Member since:
    07-20-2014

View PostDuty_Remains, on May 19 2017 - 13:25, said:

 

True... but the internet makes things easier and cheaper for them as well.  Also the sooner they change they adapt to the new environment the better for both us and them.

 

EDIT:  I almost wonder if they should focus on targeting waiting room / cafeteria audiences...  That's the only place I touch any kind of actual printed media anymore.

.... I find that even in those places, I've begun to rely on the smartphone instead of looking for a good magazine or newspaper for say my dental appointment, hair cutting or some similar waiting scenario ... and on top of that, it seems to me these places have less and less available materials in general.



Jarms48 #5894 Posted May 20 2017 - 05:54

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 117 battles
  • 1,337
  • Member since:
    06-21-2015

View PostTheUDF, on May 20 2017 - 04:36, said:

Jim Sterling is a well-known and followed personality in the games review media community.

 

I'm oddly excited for Jim's video, as much as I enjoy WoT, I still want to see Jim's criticism. 

 

View PostDaigensui, on May 20 2017 - 04:51, said:

Am I the only one enjoying WoT at this point?

 

I still am, but I'm avoiding tiers VII and above. I've only been grinding marks of excellence in my tier V & VI's. 



Duty_Remains #5895 Posted May 20 2017 - 07:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 17145 battles
  • 2,691
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View PostKenshin2kx, on May 19 2017 - 19:58, said:

.... I find that even in those places, I've begun to rely on the smartphone instead of looking for a good magazine or newspaper for say my dental appointment, hair cutting or some similar waiting scenario ... and on top of that, it seems to me these places have less and less available materials in general.

 

Same here honestly but...  It's hard to justify non-online publication for periodicals these days.  I like physical books but newspapers and magazines just end up being clutter I don't need.

 

I was trying to think of something newspapers and magazines could hold onto... and sadly that's the best I could come up with.



Platypusbill #5896 Posted May 20 2017 - 10:15

    Captain

  • Players
  • 20 battles
  • 1,006
  • Member since:
    01-01-2013

View PostDaigensui, on Apr 15 2017 - 11:46, said:

 

There might be factors from that case that we don't know about. Having a lawyer husband really opened my eyes to just how little is usually reported to the public, and almost no one except those working in the legal profession would read the full case for the details.

 

For some reason I didn't get the notifications for people quoting me until now, and I hadn't noticed your reply. I realise it's been a while, but I feel this needs to be addressed.

 

I actually managed to find a forum thread where one poster had citations from the court case that go into the nitty gritty details. Spoilered because wall of text.

Spoiler

 


Edited by Platypusbill, May 20 2017 - 10:29.


GoldMountain #5897 Posted May 20 2017 - 13:36

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 41 battles
  • 7,775
  • Member since:
    01-06-2011
I get that aswell sometimes.
Suddenly have a bunch of notifications push through for a day or two.
Forums dont intergrate well into mobile devices.

Dragon_Witch #5898 Posted May 20 2017 - 16:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 11676 battles
  • 12,543
  • Member since:
    03-27-2011

Well, I'm officially part of the problem.  I bought a K tank.  Super bummed that it doesn't come with ANY camouflage options.  At all.  And of course it has that ugly emblem on the front. 

 

...Really, I just wish Wargaming would have released it as a standard premium tank instead of ruining it by making it their "mascot" for their "Espurts".  And naturally, it'll never show up in the shop again, just like the previous two "Espurts" tanks.  And we'll never see a non-crap edition of it. 

 

Ultimately though, I wanted a K tank.  I've wanted one since I first saw it.  And now I have one and am officially a stat padding wallet warrior who clubs seals.  Yay.



Tjtod #5899 Posted May 20 2017 - 16:25

    Captain

  • Players
  • 6540 battles
  • 1,602
  • Member since:
    04-01-2013


GoldMountain #5900 Posted May 20 2017 - 16:29

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 41 battles
  • 7,775
  • Member since:
    01-06-2011
Ahh well, who can say anything when that is just WG's buisness model right now.

Dosh out ridiculously bad and mostly copycat premium tier 8s to death.

Edited by GoldMountain, May 20 2017 - 16:42.





44 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 44 guests, 0 anonymous users