T110's Skiing Holiday by the Pool with a Nice Drink

• Please log in to reply
32058 replies to this topic

KilljoyCutter #27701 Posted Apr 14 2018 - 22:24

Major

• Players
  • 8469 battles

View PostStarne, on Apr 14 2018 - 11:44, said:

Of course they are. They know there's no possible scenario in which military escalation turns out well for them.

At minimum, fighting a doom-to-fail expeditionary war against the US (...and the UK, France, and quite possibly the Saudis and who knows who else...) in Syria would be politically devastating for Putin. Not only would it completely destroy the 'Russia Stronk! Putin Stronk! Russia Stronk Because Putin!' narrative and image he's constructed, it would complete undo all of his gains in Syria both in terms of his own goals (Notably, Russia would lose the naval base at Tartus forever), and his efforts to court the Iranians (Assad would definitely be removed, and Iran's project to create a direct land route to Lebanon would be toast). Never mind that there's pretty much no way that a war between Russia and the west over Syria would stay in Syria. If the UK and France were belligerents, would they really allow Russian naval movements on their doorstep? How would they enforce that without attacking Russian warships? Would the Turks close the Bosphorus to Russian shipping entirely? Plus, even a low-intensity, relatively contained "Not-War" (Because I'm 90% sure that both sides would insist they weren't actually at war) would permanently secure economic and political sanctions on Russia, and bring who knows what else in terms of further measures. So even the best-case scenario would directly imperil the future of Putin's regime.

At worst, turning a shooting dispute over Syria into a shooting war in Europe would be an even worse no-win scenario for Putin. He knows that the Russia military doesn't stand a chance in a conventional confrontation with the West. So his only choices would be immediate nuclear escalation (I actually think this is pretty unlikely. The Kremlin is paranoid that the west secretly has some kind of effective strategic missile defense system, thus rendering Russia's aging and poorly maintained nuclear arsenal completely useless), or roll over and accept defeat, most likely fleeing to China, because he's the wealthiest man in the world and there's no way he could stomach or risk living as some kind of on-the-run fugitive in Russia just to play guerilla leader. Remember that he doesn't care about Russia except as a means of enriching himself and a base of power. He almost certainly wouldn't go down fighting just to preserve Russia's national honor or whatever.

Which is kind of the point of this whole charade. Syria, Ukraine, they're all just political ploys for Putin to use his control over the Russian state to expand his personal wealth and power. He won't do anything to meaningfully imperil that wealth and power. Putin isn't a conventional head of state, he's a mob boss that also happens to have control over a country.

I very much suspected that talk of shooting down the missiles and their launch platforms was so much bluster. 

While it's not being discussed in the media... I doubt the total lack of Russian defensive action or response here has gone unnoticed in various capitals. 

E:  much tough talk about how the strikes "will be" or "could be" countered by "Russian strength" is about the "best" case for Putin.  Even if Russian forces in Syria had managed to shoot down a few cruise missiles, what then?  Does Russia continue to expend the limited supply of its most advanced air defense assets against more waves of US/UK/France missiles? 

Edited by KilljoyCutter, Apr 14 2018 - 23:04.

Dragon_Witch #27702 Posted Apr 14 2018 - 22:34

Major

• Players
  • 11682 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Apr 14 2018 - 16:24, said:

I very much suspected that talk of shooting down the missiles and their launch platforms was so much bluster. 

While it's not being discussed in the media... I doubt the total lack of Russian defensive action or response here has gone unnoticed in various capitals. 

Particularly those countries who seem to think Russia is on "their side".

Avalon304 #27703 Posted Apr 14 2018 - 23:35

Major

• Players
  • 18951 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

Well this was... a game:

http://wotreplays.eu...-avalon304-t-10

Ive been missing out on the goodness that is the T-10... some nice brawling and some good teamwork with 4TankersAndDog happened in that game.

Life_In_Black #27704 Posted Apr 14 2018 - 23:39

Major

• Players
  • 25290 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
So, WoT only heats up the laptop and causes the fan to work overtime when I'm tabbed into the game. Tabbing out (to say, post here right now) causes the laptop to go back to normal. Not sure why that is. But to play for more than a battle or two at a time, I'm going to need to get some sort of cooling device. Sigh.

Tjtod #27705 Posted Apr 14 2018 - 23:55

Captain

• Players
  • 6540 battles

View PostLife_In_Black, on Apr 14 2018 - 18:39, said:

So, WoT only heats up the laptop and causes the fan to work overtime when I'm tabbed into the game. Tabbing out (to say, post here right now) causes the laptop to go back to normal. Not sure why that is. But to play for more than a battle or two at a time, I'm going to need to get some sort of cooling device. Sigh.

have you cleaned out your laptop of dust and stuff recently?

Life_In_Black #27706 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 00:02

Major

• Players
  • 25290 battles
  • [KGS] KGS

View PostTjtod, on Apr 14 2018 - 17:55, said:

have you cleaned out your laptop of dust and stuff recently?

As best I could yeah. I haven't opened it up though. Kind of worried about doing that.

Dragon_Witch #27707 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 00:46

Major

• Players
  • 11682 battles

View PostLife_In_Black, on Apr 14 2018 - 18:02, said:

As best I could yeah. I haven't opened it up though. Kind of worried about doing that.

Yeah, that's really not something you want to do if you're not confident in your abilities in handling electronics.

PrimarchRogalDorn #27708 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 00:57

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25 battles

Life_In_Black #27709 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 01:01

Major

• Players
  • 25290 battles
  • [KGS] KGS

View PostEmpressNero, on Apr 14 2018 - 18:46, said:

Yeah, that's really not something you want to do if you're not confident in your abilities in handling electronics.

I could probably do it, but yeah, not something I feel that comfortable with. But I might not have much choice.

DerViktim #27710 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 01:39

Major

• Players
  • 18294 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostLife_In_Black, on Apr 14 2018 - 17:39, said:

Basically, when WoT isn't up on your screen the GPU doesn't need to actually render anything. Since it isn't working hard anymore your laptop cools down because the heavy processing load has been put in a very low priority state. If I launch a graphics intensive game on my less than a year old Razer Blade it sounds like a jet engine just fired up within 20 seconds or so and the keyboard starts to get warm. This is completely normal. Laptops tend to run quiet and cool except when they are under heavy loads. It is a "make the battery last as long as possible" kind of thing. When they are under load the small high RPM fans inside go berserk and the laptop can get uncomfortably warm to the touch. This is a limitation of the small enclosures laptop hardware is encased within. Very little airflow and air volume on the inside makes it hard for the heat sinks to keep up with the heat the hardware is generating at full load so the entire thing gets warm because the casing itself is considered part of the heat dissipation system for the laptop.

On thing you can do to help would be to get a laptop cooling pad (they usually run from $20-$40). These basically keep air circulating around the laptop so that case of the laptop radiates heat as efficiently as possible and that the fans have cool air to pull in.

edit: Here's a relatively basic name brand one: https://www.amazon.c...duct/B01FXDVE26

This one is a bit fancier: https://www.amazon.c...duct/B00J0NZYOK

Amazon has all kinds of cooling pads that range from $20 to $60 bucks with LED lighting, multiple fans, etc etc. The ones I linked are made by Thermaltake so I'd conclude they would hold up and work fairly well.

Edited by DerViktim, Apr 15 2018 - 01:49.

Life_In_Black #27711 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 01:56

Major

• Players
  • 25290 battles
  • [KGS] KGS

View PostDerViktim, on Apr 14 2018 - 19:39, said:

Basically, when WoT isn't up on your screen the GPU doesn't need to actually render anything. Since it isn't working hard anymore your laptop cools down because the heavy processing load has been put in a very low priority state. If I launch a graphics intensive game on my less than a year old Razer Blade it sounds like a jet engine just fired up within 20 seconds or so and the keyboard starts to get warm. This is completely normal. Laptops tend to run quiet and cool except when they are under heavy loads. It is a "make the battery last as long as possible" kind of thing. When they are under load the small high RPM fans inside go berserk and the laptop can get uncomfortably warm to the touch. This is a limitation of the small enclosures laptop hardware is encased within. Very little airflow and air volume on the inside makes it hard for the heat sinks to keep up with the heat the hardware is generating at full load so the entire thing gets warm because the casing itself is considered part of the heat dissipation system for the laptop.

On thing you can do to help would be to get a laptop cooling pad (they usually run from $20-$40). These basically keep air circulating around the laptop so that case of the laptop radiates heat as efficiently as possible and that the fans have cool air to pull in.

edit: Here's a relatively basic name brand one: https://www.amazon.c...duct/B01FXDVE26

This one is a bit fancier: https://www.amazon.c...duct/B00J0NZYOK

Amazon has all kinds of cooling pads that range from $20 to $60 bucks with LED lighting, multiple fans, etc etc. The ones I linked are made by Thermaltake so I'd conclude they would hold up and work fairly well.

Thank you for the explanation and links. I'm glad it's probably not a dust thing, as I really don't want to have to take the laptop apart if I can help it.

FrozenKemp #27712 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 01:56

Major

• Players
  • 46604 battles

Huh, those cooling pads are pretty neat. 

Life_In_Black #27713 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 02:06

Major

• Players
  • 25290 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
Is there a mod currently that would reduce some of the workload on the laptop by disabling things that can't be changed right now? Like for instance, the annoying lighting you get in the garage that would look pretty if I could run it on high settings?

LittleJoeRambler #27714 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 02:08

Major

• Players
  • 23522 battles
My old laptop has been travelling with a cooling pad for like 7-8 years now, works pretty well at keeping everything functional. Although I'm not sure I'd try running WoT on it anymore since it's been some 2+ years since that laptop has been turned on. I did play the majority of my WoT matches on it back in the day, probably 18,000 to 20,000 of them.

PrimarchRogalDorn #27715 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 03:36

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25 battles

Life_In_Black #27716 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 03:59

Major

• Players
  • 25290 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
I think the teams are even worse than when I stopped playing. Holy f*cking sh*t, how do you get to be that dumb and ignorant?

SpectreHD #27717 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 04:11

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16529 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostLife_In_Black, on Apr 15 2018 - 10:59, said:

I think the teams are even worse than when I stopped playing. Holy f*cking sh*t, how do you get to be that dumb and ignorant?

Yup, decided to play a few matches, well just one, to get the Camo and by THE EMPEROR! Played in the Thunderbolt, lost I think 5 in a row. Doesn't help that all the Tier 6 Shermans can't carry games at all where they really require being exposed for far too long to even realise their DPM potential.

This is why I am and always will advocate for skill team balancing. It is just beyond stupid to not include it in a team based game. Pubs or not.

Also team VOIP. If MWO online can do so with no issues of "squeakers" or ragers, then I am sure WoT can. If there are problem players, there is always the mute feature.

This game will never improve gameplay wise if it refuses to implement standard features in Western games while being plagued by dodgy balancing.

Edited by SpectreHD, Apr 15 2018 - 04:15.

Avalon304 #27718 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 04:54

Major

• Players
  • 18951 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostSpectreHD, on Apr 14 2018 - 20:11, said:

This is why I am and always will advocate for skill team balancing. It is just beyond stupid to not include it in a team based game. Pubs or not.

Have you ever played a game with skill based matchmaking? Its almost always universally awful, especially for non-ranked modes.

Apache1990 #27719 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 06:23

Major

• Players
  • 34797 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Apr 14 2018 - 22:54, said:

Have you ever played a game with skill based matchmaking? Its almost always universally awful, especially for non-ranked modes.

MWO is ok, but that's because instead of skill based MM, it has skill accelerated time-spent MM.

WoT ranked battles were pretty good after getting out of the scrub bracket as well.

Avalon304 #27720 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 06:35

Major

• Players
  • 18951 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostApache1990, on Apr 14 2018 - 22:23, said:

MWO is ok, but that's because instead of skill based MM, it has skill accelerated time-spent MM.

WoT ranked battles were pretty good after getting out of the scrub bracket as well.

Skill accelerated time spent?

And WOT ranked isnt skill based at all its rank based. Which is the best you can probably get in games like this. Because most skill based systems (using a developer derived rating) are generally awful.

48 user(s) are reading this topic

5 members, 42 guests, 1 anonymous users

LittleJoeRambler, LordCommanderMilitant, ChairmanMilo, Tjtod, HeadlockMvnky