T110's Transcontinental Transplant

• Please log in to reply
33189 replies to this topic

Dragon_Witch #33181 Posted Yesterday, 10:22 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11802 battles

View PostStarne, on Sep 21 2018 - 13:19, said:

Don't be ridiculous. Only poor people get sent to jail for the rest of their lives over even the most minor offenses. Rich people get infinite mulligans.

17-year old Danny Trailerpark had small amount of weed? Zero tolerance! Intent to distribute! 50 years! Throw that scumbag away like the trash he is!

17-year old Jimmy Silverspoon raped a girl? Five days community service! He didn't know any better! And seal the records! Wouldn't want to ruin his life!

Just so you know, I was happy and having a good day at work before you posted this.  Then I read your post.  Then my boss said something about how the rich keep getting richer and there's nothing we can do about it.  And between those two, it kinda ruined my day.

I just hope that someday during my lifetime the proletariat rise up against their rich oppressors and just start executing Jimmy Silverspoon and his buddies in the streets.  Of course, the proletariat will be brutally crushed by the government who has a vested interest in redistributing the "wealth" of the poor and "middle class" to the ultra rich.  But at least the Richie Riches of the nation will have been given a bloody nose. 

Edited by Dragon_Witch, Yesterday, 10:26 PM.

Starne #33182 Posted Yesterday, 11:06 PM

Major

• Players
  • 7535 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostDragon_Witch, on Sep 21 2018 - 16:22, said:

Just so you know, I was happy and having a good day at work before you posted this.  Then I read your post.  Then my boss said something about how the rich keep getting richer and there's nothing we can do about it.  And between those two, it kinda ruined my day.

I just hope that someday during my lifetime the proletariat rise up against their rich oppressors and just start executing Jimmy Silverspoon and his buddies in the streets.  Of course, the proletariat will be brutally crushed by the government who has a vested interest in redistributing the "wealth" of the poor and "middle class" to the ultra rich.  But at least the Richie Riches of the nation will have been given a bloody nose. 

A little hyperbolic, but you're not too off the mark. The US political system is, IMO, on a collision course with catastrophe unless there's a nigh-impossible change of course soon.

Wealthy elites/oligarchs eroding state (Government) autonomy through regulatory capture and the exploitation of political rent-seeking rarely ends well. One of the foremost models for what caused the French Revolution cites the lack of state autonomy, entirely at the hands of a taxation-adverse aristocracy, as one of the primary causal processes.

• In layman's terms, if the rich people exert so much control over the government that they can unilaterally set or veto policy, very bad things happen. The government is forced to act in the rich people's interests, not the interests of broader society, and this can result in the government losing political power to an oligarchy, and becoming unable to discharge its duties for lack of revenue and resources.

Two, high levels of economic and social inequality are universally bad for democracy. The more unequal things become, the more the have-nots will demand equitable redistribution, and the more the haves will resist. The haves will first subvert and then abandon democracy because they're so outnumbered. When the now compromised democracy fails to deliver, the have-nots will eventually abandon democracy as well and increasingly turn to demagogues and radicalism. One radical element, usually but not always the right-wing one, gets co-opted by elites and violence inevitably ensues.

• Remember that democracy, like all other forms of government, is a means to an end, not an end unto itself. If a system of government persistently doesn't work for a group, that group will seek alternatives.

Edited by Starne, Today, 01:37 AM.

RitaGamer #33183 Posted Yesterday, 11:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 2729 battles
  • [ANGRY] ANGRY

View PostVollketten, on Sep 21 2018 - 20:05, said:

photo by Ian Wilcox

Spoiler

Seen from inside it's clear why the Churchill couldn't get a bigger turret to mount a bigger gun as, with the tracks running over the body it restricts the maximum turret-ring width enormously.

We bumped at W&P this year. He's a nice lad.

He also took a couple photos of me at TTM which I appreciate. 

Spoiler

PrimarchRogalDorn #33184 Posted Today, 01:05 AM

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25 battles
Spoiler
Bentley Speed 8 #8

Apache1990 #33185 Posted Today, 01:45 AM

Major

• Players
  • 34797 battles

View Postramp4ge, on Sep 21 2018 - 13:56, said:

MWO also renders everything all the time, so you can see a mech beyond your ability to spot it or hit it. I've always thought WoTs spotting system was cancer. It's just gotten even more cancerous with the amount of alpha and burst damage that can be laid against you while completely invisible.

Technically it doesn't render if the mech is supposed to be completely obscured by terrain, but you only notice this in areas with bad terrain hitboxes (tops of hills on Polar Highlands, etc.), where you can see a mech blink out of existence because it's no longer in LoS (even though you can still see the top edge of it, because the visual of the hill is slightly lower than the hitbox).  Everywhere else it works great.

ramp4ge #33186 Posted Today, 06:32 AM

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 333 battles
I have been trying for 3 days to get a fire started with my Eagle 7 to complete a mission and haven't started a single one. 3rd game out in my new IS-2M, I take a blind shot at an Eagle 7 and set it on fire. 

​I just don't have words.

Avalon304 #33187 Posted Today, 08:06 AM

Major

• Players
  • 19147 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Postramp4ge, on Sep 21 2018 - 22:32, said:

I have been trying for 3 days to get a fire started with my Eagle 7 to complete a mission and haven't started a single one. 3rd game out in my new IS-2M, I take a blind shot at an Eagle 7 and set it on fire. 

More module damage means more chance of setting a tank on fire through fuel tank damage.

Dragon_Witch #33188 Posted Today, 03:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11802 battles

View Postramp4ge, on Sep 22 2018 - 00:32, said:

And of course it's a medium mission, so you didn't get the mission complete because you used a heavy. 

How do you like the IS-2M?  I was thinking of getting it.

FrozenKemp #33189 Posted Today, 04:48 PM

Major

• Players
  • 47348 battles
All I know about setting fires is generally to shoot tanks in the side in the engine block. :-/ 

Edited by FrozenKemp, Today, 04:48 PM.

Dragon_Witch #33190 Posted Today, 05:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11802 battles
Long ago I learned to not try to complete the missions.  Just let it happen when it happens.  ...Which is probably why I still don't have a Stug IV.

35 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users

ChairmanMilo, ramp4ge