penetration T69 T54E1

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Twinkinator #1 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 17:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 12850 battles
  • [AMX40] AMX40

(if this should go onto another forum topic then please redirect me to where it should go.)

So as I continue to grind to the T54E1, the T69 strikes me as probably one of the worst medium tanks at tier 8. The reason being is that you can't penetrate anything in your own tier apart from tanks with paper for armor. The T54E1 to me also seems to have this issue from just looking at the 210mm average penetration on the 105mm but it seems to be doing fine however I'm not sure if they're just flinging APCR at me for 255mm of average penetration. the T69 however has had a real penetration lack. Consider that they actually buffed the penetration of the 90mm from 174 (1mm less average than the 76mm) to 181. This is still absolutely terrible at tier 8 because I can fire a full clip of AP rounds and do absolutely no damage to a T-34-3 while he sits and derps me for 440 average with his 122mm gun. If the gun had penetration more in line with the Pershing then the tank will at least be bearable to play in my opinion. another thing that irks me about the T69 is it's Mobility can really catch people off guard with how bad it actually is. Even fully upgraded the thing is a slug. it has really bad pick up and I don't know how it can actually get to the top speed of 51kph if it even does on flat ground. to put this into perspective. The specific power ratio is less than 1 off from the T26E5 which is a heavy tank armored up the wazoo. also if you pay attention to other medium tanks at tier 8, their specific power is usually around 16.5 while the T69 sits around 15.93. The M4A1 rev is about half way to that and that's a sherman with a 105 gun usually reserved for tier 9 tanks. This does carry over to the T54E1 but that tank is competitive with its current stats. I really feel that the T69 is extremely underpowered for a tier 8 and that either a mobility buff or a Penetration buff would really help the tank out. if you went for the penetration then you would put it more in line with the Pershing and take it to 190. if it were to get a mobility buff then the Specific power would probably go to about 16.5 to get it a bit more pickup. either one wouldn't be too much to ask honestly.

Edited by Twinkinator, Feb 09 2017 - 17:38.

ImNotTSI #2 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 17:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 22639 battles
  • [KOVAH] KOVAH
Sounds like you don't know weak spots and if you do can't aim I found both tanks are really good.

linxcc #3 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 17:54

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12514 battles
  • [TEMPL] TEMPL

View PostTwinkinator, on Feb 09 2017 - 17:37, said:

T-34-3 while he sits and derps me for 440 average with his 122mm gun.

What.... Pls learn game before complaining kappa

xperiment2g #4 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 17:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 23417 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4

Twink,

The T69 used to be a beast with a higher Pen value but was nerfed many years ago.  The tank was just to OP in the hands of good players. It was actually nerfed so hard back then (pen and soft stats) that everyone stopped playing it. They recently buffed the T69 back up a bit in a previous patches, but not up to the old values.  WG has been very careful how they balance this tank, it can become OP very quickly because of the burst damage and mobility.

Black_Paw #5 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 18:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29784 battles

Wow, this is the first time I've seen the T54E1 being ridiculed like this.. Do you not know how to utilize the T54E1's 210 standard AP?

(Such a powerful autoloader)...

You're making statements that aren't even logical.. "I used a full clip on the T-34-3 and didn't pen" - REALLY? Then you don't know weak spots bud, clearly you shouldn't be in high tier tanks to even begin with. You're causing people to lose battles due to your lack of skill at such high tiers

It's the noobs like you who come on these forums and start ranting horsesh*t which truly grind my gears.

WATCH TUTORIAL VIDEOS, LEARN TO READ ARMOR STATS & AMMUNITION PENETRATION.

AssassinK727 #6 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 18:08

Private

• Players
  • 11109 battles
Having moved over to this line recently and am currently playing the T69.  I have determined that the tank is really fun to play and is definitely a keeper in my book.  It has the mobility you need and good firepower.  If you know how to go hulldown, the turret can even be quite reliable with bouncing.  It seems like you aren't treating the tank as flanking medium.  You want to be taking advantage of mistakes that the enemy makes.  The tank isn't a brawler, it is a flanker / assassin type tank.  Think of a batchat with a bit more armor for the tier and gun depression.  Also, I am quite unsure why you have a gripe with the mobility.  The tank is more than capable of getting to where it is needed.  It has a top speed of 51 and it can reliably reach that.  It just seems like you need to practice rolls within tank groups.  Not all mediums are brawlers.  Autoloaders take quite a bit of time to learn.  So just keep practicing and aim for weak spots if you encounter tanks frontally.  If it is a tier 9 or 10, don't fight a frontal fight.  Easy as that.

KingtigerIVIV #7 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 18:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20219 battles

View PostTwinkinator, on Feb 09 2017 - 16:37, said:

(if this should go onto another forum topic then please redirect me to where it should go.)

So as I continue to grind to the T54E1, the T69 strikes me as probably one of the worst medium tanks at tier 8. The reason being is that you can't penetrate anything in your own tier apart from tanks with paper for armor(WAIT BUT MANY TIER 8 MEDS HAVE ~175-180 PEN). The T54E1 to me also seems to have this issue from just looking at the 210mm average penetration on the 105mm but it seems to be doing fine however I'm not sure if they're just flinging APCR at me for 255mm of average penetration. the T69 however has had a real penetration lack. Consider that they actually buffed the penetration of the 90mm from 174 (1mm less average than the 76mm) to 181. This is still absolutely terrible at tier 8 because I can fire a full clip of AP rounds and do absolutely no damage to a T-34-3 (THE HULL OF A T34-3 IS EASILY PENNABLE BY 175 PEN GUNS) while he sits and derps me for 440 average (NO, HE DOES 390 AVERAGE ALPHA WIH 175 PEN) with his 122mm gun. If the gun had penetration more in line with the Pershing (PERSHING ONLY HAS 190 PEN, THAT ISN'T MUCH BETTER AND IT'S NOT AN AUTOLOADER) then the tank will at least be bearable to play in my opinion. another thing that irks me about the T69 is it's Mobility can really catch people off guard with how bad it actually is (USE YOUR LONG RELOAD TIME TO RELOCATE TO BETTER POSITIONS). Even fully upgraded the thing is a slug. it has really bad pick up and I don't know how it can actually get to the top speed of 51kph if it even does on flat ground. to put this into perspective. The specific power ratio is less than 1 off from the T26E5 which is a heavy tank armored up the wazoo(????). also if you pay attention to other medium tanks at tier 8, their specific power is usually around 16.5 while the T69 sits around 15.93. The M4A1 rev is about half way to that and that's a sherman with a 105 gun usually reserved for tier 9 tanks (BUT WITH 200 PEN APCR, WHICH IS ACTUALLY THE SAME EFFECTIVE PEN AS THE T69). This does carry over to the T54E1 but that tank is competitive with its current stats. I really feel that the T69 is extremely underpowered for a tier 8 and that either a mobility buff or a Penetration buff would really help the tank out. if you went for the penetration then you would put it more in line with the Pershing and take it to 190. if it were to get a mobility buff then the Specific power would probably go to about 16.5 to get it a bit more pickup. either one wouldn't be too much to ask honestly.

DON'T FACE HEAVIES WITH THE T69, PUNISH EQUAL/LOWER TIER MEDIUMS WITH YOUR CLIP AND REPOSITION.

Turtle_Back #8 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 18:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 44367 battles
  • [T-F-Z] T-F-Z

It's take practice playing autoloaders. The mobility of both these tanks is not great but when played correctly, they can savage the enemy. You need to be able to have a means of bailing from the battle in order to deal with the reload. Go in, unleash a clip then high tail it to safety for reload. Repeat. I really enjoy the T53E1, it can be a very effective tank but neither of these tanks are brawlers.

_DangerNoodle #9 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 18:52

Major

• Players
  • 15745 battles
  • [_FAM_] _FAM_
There comes a point where the tank isn't the problem and user error is...

ogHaKo #10 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 18:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 24666 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
Comrade, AP rounds on t69 are only for sides\armorless tanks period. HEAT is for everything else.

RMxR #11 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 18:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 35428 battles

View PostTwinkinator, on Feb 09 2017 - 10:37, said:

So as I continue to grind to the T54E1, the T69 strikes me as probably one of the worst medium tanks at tier 8. The reason being is that you can't penetrate anything in your own tier apart from tanks with paper for armor. The T54E1 to me also seems to have this issue from just looking at the 210mm average penetration on the 105mm but it seems to be doing fine however I'm not sure if they're just flinging APCR at me for 255mm of average penetration. the T69 however has had a real penetration lack. Consider that they actually buffed the penetration of the 90mm from 174 (1mm less average than the 76mm) to 181. This is still absolutely terrible at tier 8 because I can fire a full clip of AP rounds and do absolutely no damage to a T-34-3 while he sits and derps me for 440 average with his 122mm gun. If the gun had penetration more in line with the Pershing then the tank will at least be bearable to play in my opinion. another thing that irks me about the T69 is it's Mobility can really catch people off guard with how bad it actually is. Even fully upgraded the thing is a slug. it has really bad pick up and I don't know how it can actually get to the top speed of 51kph if it even does on flat ground. to put this into perspective. The specific power ratio is less than 1 off from the T26E5 which is a heavy tank armored up the wazoo. also if you pay attention to other medium tanks at tier 8, their specific power is usually around 16.5 while the T69 sits around 15.93. The M4A1 rev is about half way to that and that's a sherman with a 105 gun usually reserved for tier 9 tanks. This does carry over to the T54E1 but that tank is competitive with its current stats. I really feel that the T69 is extremely underpowered for a tier 8 and that either a mobility buff or a Penetration buff would really help the tank out. if you went for the penetration then you would put it more in line with the Pershing and take it to 190. if it were to get a mobility buff then the Specific power would probably go to about 16.5 to get it a bit more pickup. either one wouldn't be too much to ask honestly.

I've played the T69 and the main problem of this tank is the bad accuracy and aim time it has. The penetration values are not that bad if you compare them with same tier mediums like the T-44 or the T95E2 (all of them have an average of 180 mm using AP rounds). The key to be a good medium tank in a high tier match is to be opportunistic and always seek for appropiate objectives and of course shoot the weak spots. Even if i managed to 2 mark the T69 (easy or not), the bad accuracy, the limited ammunition and the aim time make this tank not worth to keep. Sure you can have fun with an autoloader but it's painful to see how you miss half your shots even if you spent more than 2 seconds aiming at the target. The mobility and view range are great though but yeah i would say is somewhat underpowered.

I haven't played the T54E1 but it looks like the same history in a different tier.

Random__Task #12 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 19:22

Captain

• Players
  • 16271 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK
The T69 is a beast. Play close support to heavies, flank, etc.  what you can't pen with AP you need to load HEAT.  And 54E1 is a beast as well.  

BaconMeLoveIt #13 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 19:23

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8005 battles
  • [-STN-] -STN-

But... don't you see? Check the previous tanks that leads to that T69. Most, if not all, of those tanks are support tanks that are either used as a flanker/active scouting or passive scouting.

Exhibit A: The M7 hybrid LT/MT.

Edited by BaconMeLoveIt, Feb 09 2017 - 19:24.

Dratt_Dastardly #14 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 19:36

Captain

• Players
  • 26581 battles

They are also more supporting tanks than front line.  I'm not saying they don't go to the front however.

I had better games in my T54E1 when I went with the heavies.  I'd stay in the back and let the heavies brawl it out.  Let them get hit.  Of course the heavies only pop out to shoot when one, are reloaded; two, preferribly after the other shot.  The T54E1 can pop out and try to shoot before the enemy drops back, then wait for an enemy to pop out and shoot before dropping into cover.  The autoloader interrupts the normal exchange of pop and shoot the heavies do.

Technically they can do well flanking but probably should have a buddy then too.  The buddy gets the enemy's attention and then the next thing he knows, gets hit by four more shots within eight seconds.

Not to mention being surrounded by teammates gives you more security while reloading.

bocaPG #15 Posted Feb 09 2017 - 19:41

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14349 battles
  • [SRB] SRB

View PostTwinkinator, on Feb 09 2017 - 11:37, said:

T54E1 gun is fine, fantastic autoloader, mobility is mediocre. Regardless, great tank if played correctly, it has a unique play style. Bunch of videos out there.....

Twinkinator #16 Posted Feb 20 2017 - 06:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 12850 battles
  • [AMX40] AMX40

View PostTurtle_Back, on Feb 09 2017 - 18:29, said:

It's take practice playing autoloaders. The mobility of both these tanks is not great but when played correctly, they can savage the enemy. You need to be able to have a means of bailing from the battle in order to deal with the reload. Go in, unleash a clip then high tail it to safety for reload. Repeat. I really enjoy the T53E1, it can be a very effective tank but neither of these tanks are brawlers.

I haven't gotten to grips with autoloaders fully yet and it's partially why I'm having trouble with it. The main issue i find though is that a lot of the time I'm not able to penetrate a lot of the tanks I shoot if the thing even hits. I also didn't bring up the gun's horrific accuracy. The T54E1 seems to do fine at tier 9 but the T69 for me, struggles hard at tier 8.

Also thank you for taking the time to at least be respectful and not act like those who replied previously.

Maltfourti #17 Posted Feb 20 2017 - 16:18

Captain

• Players
  • 33506 battles
The pen isn't really the problem. The lack of mobility, which would allow you to position better to make use of the pen is whats messing you up. Don't try to be a traditional flanking medium with either of these. Play support. I usually roll with the heavies if mm allows it, that way I have a mobility advantage against what I'm fighting. I just figured this out myself after repeatedly failing against other mediums who were quicker and had better aimtime.

sansjoy #18 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 22:00

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16718 battles

I flat out hated the T69.  I laugh because what I knew was going to be the last battle before unlocking the T54E1, I accidentally drown about 30 seconds into the battle, and I rage sold it.  About half way through the T54E1, I realized how to play it, and how I should have played the T69.  They are not front line pushers.  They are to be used as opportunistic scavengers, feeding on the wounded and dying of the enemy.

When I need a high damage battle, I roll out the T54E1.  In a city map, just lurk, and pop around the corner and while they are focused on the heavies they are brawling with, burst one or two wounded heavies to their graves. 

Contrary to by last T69 battle, what I thought was to be my last T54E1 battle, I did 3600 damage and killed 6.  I plan on keeping it

8bit_Gamer #19 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 22:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13205 battles

View PostImNotTSI, on Feb 09 2017 - 16:46, said:

Sounds like you don't know weak spots and if you do can't aim I found both tanks are really good.

Typical BS response to a legitimate tank balance issue.

Also tagged with penetration, T69, T54E1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users