Jump to content


War-lead/Caller Help

Clan wars Strongholds Warlead Caller Help plz WOT

  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

ExclamationMarx #1 Posted Feb 10 2017 - 16:28

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 1595 battles
  • 510
  • Member since:
    12-25-2015

I'm a slightly new player and have found a recent affinity for Clan Wars/Strongholds. Although I'm a newer player and Won't be calling, much less warleading for quite some time, any of you guys out there got any tips for a new caller and possible warleader to get better in the mean time?

 

Thanks in advance!


Edited by ExclamationMarx, Feb 10 2017 - 16:30.


Metagross555 #2 Posted Feb 10 2017 - 16:44

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 26203 battles
  • 975
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
  • Member since:
    12-05-2014

what is a warleader, never heard that term

 

know what's happening on the minimap, what could happen and how to have people respond


Edited by Metagross555, Feb 10 2017 - 16:45.


ExclamationMarx #3 Posted Feb 10 2017 - 16:45

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 1595 battles
  • 510
  • Member since:
    12-25-2015

View PostMetagross555, on Feb 10 2017 - 10:44, said:

what is a warleader, never heard that term

 

know what's happening on the minimap, what could happen and how to have people respond

 

Warlead is the person who sets up the detachment and makes the tank lineup pre-battle.

kebab6597 #4 Posted Feb 10 2017 - 16:47

    Major

  • Players
  • 51873 battles
  • 8,261
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    04-16-2011

View PostMetagross555, on Feb 10 2017 - 15:44, said:

what is a warleader, never heard that term

 

know what's happening on the minimap, what could happen and how to have people respond

 

Nor had I until today but I figure he means "caller"

ExclamationMarx #5 Posted Feb 10 2017 - 16:49

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 1595 battles
  • 510
  • Member since:
    12-25-2015

View Postkebab6597, on Feb 10 2017 - 10:47, said:

 

Nor had I until today but I figure he means "caller"

 

Caller and Warlead ar usually the same person, but I've been in instances where they are two separate people in those positions...

J3Tears #6 Posted Feb 10 2017 - 17:19

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 7464 battles
  • 437
  • [-DIG-] -DIG-
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

Learn to think on your feet pretty fast. Things can change just like that. Make sure the people in the battle are respectful enough to not talk about other stuff during the battle, Keep it to a Minimum and Nobody over talk the caller. Try not to stall, I know some things may be obvious like, Dont sit in front of the Kv-2 but some people are waiting for you to call that out. I dont like to Micromanage every little thing but If I dont there is always that one person who is 5% health peeking out at a tank thats 100% health.  

 

A good idea is to go into Strongholds and play around with Calling. You can see the other team and it helps get some good practice in since the Player Numbers match up with Clan war Numbers. Like Tier 6 is 7v7, Tier 8 10v10, and Tier 10 is 15v15. 



__Worm__ #7 Posted Feb 10 2017 - 21:36

    Major

  • Players
  • 28273 battles
  • 3,677
  • [WANKO] WANKO
  • Member since:
    04-29-2011

make sure your team is "focusing" fire.

don't let players bring just anything make sure they have the right tank.

you don't need more than 1 scout.

it is not recommended to use heavy tanks in T-6 strongholds.

Always keep your base being capped in mind if you are getting farther away and not all of the enemy is exposed.

get to know the maps on a personal level so you have an idea of what will work.

remember there will be times when you need to have the awareness to call an "audible".

don't bring arty things happen way to fast for arty to even contribute @ tier 6.

don't split up your force, try to keep it to 1 scout checking your flank and everyone else wolf packing.

 

most important you will not get better if you quit. don't give up.



Roccandil #8 Posted Feb 10 2017 - 23:41

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 5319 battles
  • 241
  • [CARTL] CARTL
  • Member since:
    02-13-2016
It also helps to use a tool like wottactic.com to plan strategies and provide pre-battle briefings (at least in clan wars), so everyone knows where they're going and what they're doing before you load in.

SPACEDUDE71 #9 Posted Feb 14 2017 - 19:05

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 12112 battles
  • 431
  • Member since:
    10-06-2010
Watch videos of others calling a game.

GermanMade #10 Posted Feb 15 2017 - 20:49

    Captain

  • Players
  • 30232 battles
  • 1,485
  • [_-W-_] _-W-_
  • Member since:
    06-19-2012

There is alot of advise that can be giving so I leave this here:

 

1.  Remain calm during the battle, don't call out every mistake a player does.   

 

2.  If you want to the respect of your players own up to a mistake.  If you have a bad call, don't blame the players for the lose.



PhantomAngel #11 Posted Apr 07 2017 - 21:25

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 12392 battles
  • 117
  • [SCRAM] SCRAM
  • Member since:
    09-24-2010

Yo ExclamationMarx,

 

So you want to call? That's cool. Always fun to be the one calling shots. Sometimes it can get a little stressful, but a good caller can make a win happen with almost any group of players. As a caller you have to ask yourself "What is my job?" and the answer to that question is rather simple.

 

"As a caller my job is to put my boys and gals in the best possible situation in order to win."

 

So how do you that? How can you manipulate the battlefield in order to win? The answer to that is to know maps/tanks/players/and enemies. It's not easy to call for a group of guys you know nothing about so let's talk first about some basic tips when you join a random detachment and are asked to call.

 

(For the sake of discussion we'll talk about tier 6 since most of my experience is around Tank Companies, Strongholds, Tournies and clanwars in that tier.)

 

Tip 1) Take a look at the setup.

Ask yourself the following questions... What are the strengths of the tanks they readied up? (Penetration, DPM, Gun Depression, Armor). Do they have all their bases covered ?(heavy, medium, lights) Will they be able to stay together speed wise?(An OI can't keep up when paired with a KV85) It's more important when starting out to have pairings of tanks so that you can organize the call easier (It also makes it easier to identify players out of position) 

 

Tip 2) Who has a fully upgraded tank/crew?

You would be shocked the amount of players that will ready up a Cromwell that has a 75% crew. Do not let that happen. Ask players if they have a fully upgraded tank and 100% crew (Added bonus if they have sixth sense already.) Strongholds is not the place to be grinding for a tank. Any serious team that wants to win will have a fully upgraded tank, 100% crew with at least 1 perk, 3 pieces of equipment, camo and will shoot APCR when needed. If your team doesn't have that? The enemy will. It is better you take a less than preferred tank that is fully upgraded than a tank that can't even preform at the basic level.

 

Tip 3) Identify your reliable/unreliable players.

Every detachment has them... That one guy that people always say "Aw man he's a great guy! I really like him, but... he isn't the best."

It's extremely important you figure out who these players are and fast because you have to PLAN around their stupidity. And yeah... That's a mean way to put it but it's true. And don't make the mistake of thinking "Oh he's talking about red players..." Because I'm not. I've met plenty of purple players that are unreliable and red players that can do what needs to be done. Here are some tips to help you to identify an unreliable player: (These aren't full proof, sometimes people just have a bad game. Form your opinion about someone over the course of a few matches, don't write them off immediately.)

-Player has to be told repeatedly to follow the same order.

-When given the option the player will sit out in the open instead of automatically seeking a bush to hide behind.

-Player argues with orders or worse ignores them. (Yes sometimes we make bad calls, but during the battle is not the time to debate them)

-Player is constantly moving out of position

-Player throws away their tank by rushing in for no reason

-Player makes bad exchanges or no exchanges at all (example: Poking out to fire at a reloaded KV2 that's aimed down. Or Player won't poke out for shots against a KV2 that's already fired.)

-Player is constantly in other team-mates way.

-Player simply has a bad attitude or won't stop goofing around.

-Player is constantly readying up tanks you don't want or need. 

-Player is constantly talking during the match and disrupting battle coms with comments like "Seriously RNG?" or "What a lucky ******" etc

-Player has less than 50% hit ratio AFTER a battle. (Pay attention to who you expected to land shots and who actually did, study the after battle statistics.)

Now when you find a reliable player try to put them in the positions you think they'll excel. Those are the players that will deal the damage, the ones that will do the job you need done. The unreliable players need to have minor roles of lesser importance. Keep your personal feelings out of it, if you like someone but they just can't do what you need done then don't ask them to do the important stuff.

 

Tip 4) Enforce your call.

If someones out of position? TELL THEM. If someone is poking when you don't want them showing themselves? TELL THEM. If you need someone to shutup because you have to make a call? TELL THEM. You have to establish that you are in charge and when you tell someone to do something they need to DO IT. 

 

Tip 5) Don't ask for advice in game.

Asking for advice makes you sound weak, like you don't know what you're talking about. When you open that door, every tom-[edited]and harry start to give you their opinions "WE SHOULD PUSH!" "THAT GUYS ISOLATED!" "THIS FLANKS OPEN! LETS CAP!" ... Most of the time? These guys don't know what they're talking about or they're jumping the gun. If you need advice about your call, you should instead ask "yes or no" questions like "Hey Hellcat? Do you have shots onto this area?"  "Hey E8's are you able to get into cover if the enemy comes this way?"  "Hey T37 will you be able to light the cap from that bush?" Your players will have the answers you need to determine if you made a poor decision. Rely on FACTS of Yes or No questions, not people's opinions.  

 

Tip 6) Keep coms clean!

This is one of the most important tips. I've seen top tier clans that have ZERO discipline in detachments, they can't shut up and it's super distracting when you have 30 seconds to describe a complex battle plan. Tell your guys when you say "Battle Coms." that means shut up and listen! But don't get me wrong... I love relaxed and laid back detachments, however during the match I want our execution to be flawless. You cannot run a successful detachment when people can't keep quite. Your goal should be their SILENCE when you open your mouth to speak.

 

Tip 7) There are only 2 ways to win.

You can either cap out the enemy or kill them. When you make a call for a push? Don't forget you're creating a vulnerable cap. Make sure that when you leave your base exposed it was planned ahead of time. Also always watch for an enemy that leaves their cap exposed and take advantage of it. The reason the cap is so important is because it makes it easier to force a team to do something about it. And honestly? At the end of the day? A win is a win. Don't be picky about it.

 

Tip 8) Don't pay attention to XVM.

"We have a 28% chance to win."   I hate it when players tell me the odds. Why? Because I've been in detachments where people will say "Dang, it's a team of purples we lost."  ... They give up BEFORE THE FIGHT STARTS. Do not pay attention to XVM, just because they're purple doesn't mean they know how to call! Use discipline and positioning to counter the terrifying "Wolf Pack" Strat. Same goes if you see "We have a 90% chance to win." your guys get cocky and forget the enemy still has a gun.

 

 

Ah crap I ran out of time on my break... x,x Back to work! I'll post more later!

~Phantom

 

 

 

 



mojave #12 Posted Apr 08 2017 - 08:44

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 22050 battles
  • 180
  • [RELIC] RELIC
  • Member since:
    05-27-2011
The reason top tier clans dont enforce battle comms is that by the time people have progressed far enough skill wise to joinn a top tier clan then every player is capable of providing constructive information. Most often a top tier clan has one guy direct the battle and a bunch of others help influence. In a starter clan it is usually better to find an individual who knows what they are doing to run the battle rather than let people who potentially do not understand what their plays will result in.

eraser1 #13 Posted Apr 08 2017 - 23:26

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 16093 battles
  • 55
  • [RELIC] RELIC
  • Member since:
    07-23-2012

View PostPhantomAngel, on Apr 07 2017 - 14:25, said:

Tip 5) Don't ask for advice in game.

Asking for advice makes you sound weak, like you don't know what you're talking about. When you open that door, every tom-[edited]and harry start to give you their opinions "WE SHOULD PUSH!" "THAT GUYS ISOLATED!" "THIS FLANKS OPEN! LETS CAP!" ... Most of the time? These guys don't know what they're talking about or they're jumping the gun. If you need advice about your call, you should instead ask "yes or no" questions like "Hey Hellcat? Do you have shots onto this area?"  "Hey E8's are you able to get into cover if the enemy comes this way?"  "Hey T37 will you be able to light the cap from that bush?" Your players will have the answers you need to determine if you made a poor decision. Rely on FACTS of Yes or No questions, not people's opinions.  

 

Tip 6) Keep coms clean!

This is one of the most important tips. I've seen top tier clans that have ZERO discipline in detachments, they can't shut up and it's super distracting when you have 30 seconds to describe a complex battle plan. Tell your guys when you say "Battle Coms." that means shut up and listen! But don't get me wrong... I love relaxed and laid back detachments, however during the match I want our execution to be flawless. You cannot run a successful detachment when people can't keep quite. Your goal should be their SILENCE when you open your mouth to speak.

 

Tip 7) There are only 2 ways to win.

You can either cap out the enemy or kill them. When you make a call for a push? Don't forget you're creating a vulnerable cap. Make sure that when you leave your base exposed it was planned ahead of time. Also always watch for an enemy that leaves their cap exposed and take advantage of it. The reason the cap is so important is because it makes it easier to force a team to do something about it. And honestly? At the end of the day? A win is a win. Don't be picky about it.

"Don't ask for advice in-game"

That's not a good tip, especially for a good caller. If your players think you look weak when you ask questions, then they don't know much about calling and/or they expect their caller to do all of the thinking. This is NOT the case. The caller shouldn't be forced to think for every player - every player on your team has eyes and a brain. You would be intentionally wasting those resources by disregarding them. Granted, you might have worse players who don't know what you're talking about, but an idea is an idea. You would still have to evaluate various options either way. Just because most of the advice is bad doesn't mean that your plan will always be better.

 

"Keep Comms Clean"

You're absolutely correct that you need to cut out any chatter or unimportant info. However, forcing everybody to "shut up" is not a good thing. If your players are chattering when you're giving out a call, they need to stay quiet and listen, but that doesn't mean that the caller is the one that dictates any and all comms. Besides my comments on "giving advice", sometimes the caller will order a player to do a certain thing which isn't feasible. It is that player's duty to notify the caller that it is unfeasible. Otherwise you'll end up with bad plays that could have been prevented by a simple "I don't think that's a good idea".

 

"There are only 2 ways to win"

There are only 2 ways if you're attacking. If you're defending, then a draw counts as a victory.



Captain_Locke #14 Posted Apr 09 2017 - 18:57

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 20997 battles
  • 835
  • [SCRAM] SCRAM
  • Member since:
    09-23-2010

View Posteraser1, on Apr 08 2017 - 17:26, said:

"Don't ask for advice in-game"

That's not a good tip, especially for a good caller. If your players think you look weak when you ask questions, then they don't know much about calling and/or they expect their caller to do all of the thinking. This is NOT the case. The caller shouldn't be forced to think for every player - every player on your team has eyes and a brain. You would be intentionally wasting those resources by disregarding them. Granted, you might have worse players who don't know what you're talking about, but an idea is an idea. You would still have to evaluate various options either way. Just because most of the advice is bad doesn't mean that your plan will always be better.

 

"Keep Comms Clean"

You're absolutely correct that you need to cut out any chatter or unimportant info. However, forcing everybody to "shut up" is not a good thing. If your players are chattering when you're giving out a call, they need to stay quiet and listen, but that doesn't mean that the caller is the one that dictates any and all comms. Besides my comments on "giving advice", sometimes the caller will order a player to do a certain thing which isn't feasible. It is that player's duty to notify the caller that it is unfeasible. Otherwise you'll end up with bad plays that could have been prevented by a simple "I don't think that's a good idea".

 

"There are only 2 ways to win"

There are only 2 ways if you're attacking. If you're defending, then a draw counts as a victory.

 

It's crazy to understand, but just because a player is "good" doesn't mean they understand tactics. Trust me.

 

And the number one reason for me gtfoing of someone's clanwars/advance is because they simply will not shut up.I dislike having to wade through Five minutes of bullshipperyjust hear what I am supposed to be doing.


Edited by Captain_Locke, Apr 09 2017 - 18:57.


PhantomAngel #15 Posted Apr 10 2017 - 03:26

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 12392 battles
  • 117
  • [SCRAM] SCRAM
  • Member since:
    09-24-2010

View Posteraser1, on Apr 08 2017 - 22:26, said:

"Don't ask for advice in-game"

That's not a good tip, especially for a good caller. If your players think you look weak when you ask questions, then they don't know much about calling and/or they expect their caller to do all of the thinking. This is NOT the case. The caller shouldn't be forced to think for every player - every player on your team has eyes and a brain. You would be intentionally wasting those resources by disregarding them. Granted, you might have worse players who don't know what you're talking about, but an idea is an idea. You would still have to evaluate various options either way. Just because most of the advice is bad doesn't mean that your plan will always be better.

 

"Keep Comms Clean"

You're absolutely correct that you need to cut out any chatter or unimportant info. However, forcing everybody to "shut up" is not a good thing. If your players are chattering when you're giving out a call, they need to stay quiet and listen, but that doesn't mean that the caller is the one that dictates any and all comms. Besides my comments on "giving advice", sometimes the caller will order a player to do a certain thing which isn't feasible. It is that player's duty to notify the caller that it is unfeasible. Otherwise you'll end up with bad plays that could have been prevented by a simple "I don't think that's a good idea".

 

"There are only 2 ways to win"

There are only 2 ways if you're attacking. If you're defending, then a draw counts as a victory.

 

Please keep in mind these are tips for players calling for detachments they just joined with people they don't necessarily know.

 

Tip 5) Don't ask for advice in game.

So I think my point on this was missed or perhaps it was poorly worded. The reason I advise new callers not to ask for advice during a match is to avoid the pit-hole of more than one caller. When someone is a new caller to a detachment there are times when you engage in a power struggle with someone else that wants to override the call. When this happens you get players that don't know who to listen to. To avoid this, you always need to appear as though you know the answers or you'll end up in a situation where someone might ruin the plan you had in mind.

 

Tip 6) Keep coms clean!

My only point here was that when the caller speaks, people need to listen. I've been in detachments that were so chaotic the caller couldn't get a word in edgewise and that's a terrible situation.

 

Tip 7) There are only 2 ways to win.

Let's just rename this tip to... "Always pay attention to your cap."

 

I'll post more later.

~Phantom

 

 

 

 

 

 



Critya #16 Posted Apr 19 2017 - 19:12

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 16255 battles
  • 649
  • [LOAD] LOAD
  • Member since:
    01-29-2012
I had a whole set of videos on YouTube that I've been told have helped a ton of callers. It teaches the basics and some of the more advanced fundamentals that you need for calling any type of battle, how to prep for them, how to build your own strategy on any map, and things that callers need to be proficient at in ANY battle they call.

Check em out on YouTube. The channel is called "Crityagaming" you'll find them all in there.

The videos were made specifically for people new to calling. I've had people that now call in top 10 clans reach out to me and tell me how helpful they were when they first began calling.

Hope this helps and good luck! Calling is the most fun part of WoT in my opinion.

SledgeHammer_JS3 #17 Posted Apr 29 2017 - 01:36

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 12992 battles
  • 163
  • [WLVRN] WLVRN
  • Member since:
    08-04-2011

Is he serious? He can join my clan and i'll help him call some tournies...







Also tagged with Clan wars, Strongholds, Warlead, Caller, Help, plz, WOT

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users