Tank shells and targets

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Leoperd_2_ace #1 Posted Feb 15 2017 - 18:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12337 battles

Hello

I am I writer and i am currently writing a modern times Alt-history military short story.

My characters are riding around in a French ERC-90 Recon vehicle/ tank destroyer with a modern 90mm gun.

I would like to know what kinds i shells would be best for my crew to fire at different targets. and example of some of the targets I have them shooting at are:

infantry in the open

Brick/croncreat/wood buildings- ?

a Pick-up Truck- ?

M2 Bradly

Stryker APC- ?

M1A2 Abrams

so what should i be shooting at each of these targets

HE HESH (HEP), APHE (bursting charge) canister, HEAT, APDS

thanks in advance

MacDaddyMatty #2 Posted Feb 15 2017 - 18:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 17699 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Infantry in the open - HE VT (variable time, it explodes in the air above the ground)

Brick/croncreat/wood buildings - reinforced HEAP. Non reinforced HE

a Pick-up Truck - the kinetic energy from any round will kill it, HE will keep the round from going straight through

M2 Bradly - AT, HEAT. Depending on armor suite prob will not pen. Go for mobility kill.

Stryker APC - AT, HEAT. Depending on armor suite prob will not pen. Go for mobility kill.

M1A2 Abrams - SABO, they don't have this and will not pen it.

Edited by MacDaddyMatty, Feb 15 2017 - 18:50.

Leoperd_2_ace #3 Posted Feb 15 2017 - 19:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12337 battles

View PostMacDaddyMatty, on Feb 15 2017 - 18:48, said:

Infantry in the open - HE VT (variable time, it explodes in the air above the ground)

Brick/croncreat/wood buildings - reinforced HEAP. Non reinforced HE

a Pick-up Truck - the kinetic energy from any round will kill it, HE will keep the round from going straight through

M2 Bradly - AT, HEAT. Depending on armor suite prob will not pen. Go for mobility kill.

Stryker APC - AT, HEAT. Depending on armor suite prob will not pen. Go for mobility kill.

M1A2 Abrams - SABO, they don't have this and will not pen it.

the ERC-90 F4 Sagaie (the one in my story) has a long barreled 90mm gun that can fire and APFSDS (fin stabilized discarding sabot), the earlier F1 lynx model was limited to HEAT rounds.
so i will be able to engage an Abrams

t6c #4 Posted Feb 15 2017 - 21:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29678 battles
  • [-SSS-] -SSS-
Reccomed HESH for structures for the spall effects . It has been called the "wallbuster round" for a reason.

Canister for infantry in the open at close range. The effects are spectacular in the right situation.

Sister_Mary_Gearchange #5 Posted Jun 07 2017 - 09:00

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 20398 battles

View Postt6c, on Feb 15 2017 - 21:21, said:

Reccomed HESH for structures for the spall effects . It has been called the "wallbuster round" for a reason.

Canister for infantry in the open at close range. The effects are spectacular in the right situation.

Except that the ERC90 cant fire either of those.  HEAT, HE, Smoke and an APCBC round are the only choices.  It got a APDS round later on.

View PostLeoperd_2_ace, on Feb 15 2017 - 18:30, said:

Hello

I am I writer and i am currently writing a modern times Alt-history military short story.

My characters are riding around in a French ERC-90 Recon vehicle/ tank destroyer with a modern 90mm gun.

I would like to know what kinds i shells would be best for my crew to fire at different targets. and example of some of the targets I have them shooting at are:

infantry in the open

Brick/croncreat/wood buildings- ?

a Pick-up Truck- ?

M2 Bradly

Stryker APC- ?

M1A2 Abrams

so what should i be shooting at each of these targets

HE HESH (HEP), APHE (bursting charge) canister, HEAT, APDS

thanks in advance

The gun has the options for HE, HEAT, and APFSDS.  Sooooooo....

infantry in the open - this is what a co-ax mg is for.

Brick/croncreat/wood buildings- ? - HE

a Pick-up Truck- ? - HE or HEAT

M2 Bradly - Take your pick.  Fin is mostly likely to go through, but is likely to go *all* the way through.  If it were me, I'd fire HE because that will... ruin their day sufficiently

Stryker APC- ?  - HEAT or fin

M1A2 Abrams -  No. Just no.  The correct procedure for that would be to Run Away Quickly.  Yr not an MBT.  Now, if you happen to catch it napping from behind, maybe a fin round into the engine and *then* Run Away Quickly, but Running Away Quickly should be the first choice.

Worland #6 Posted Jun 07 2017 - 23:06

Major

• Players
  • 16556 battles
In practice, they are likely to only be packing HEAT and sabot. HEAT has become the defacto general purpose round against vehicles, light armor, buildings and infantry. It does create a rather large explosion in addition to the penetrating jet. Same for HESH. Works well on a lot of targets.

Considering most Western APCs are packing some kind of standzoff defense against RPGs, sabot would likely work better than either HEAT or HESH. Even older Combloc vehicles are getting upgraded armor kits.

Canister rounds are back in style, so if available for the vehicle I am writing about, I like to use them.

Leoperd_2_ace #7 Posted Jun 23 2017 - 02:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12337 battles

View PostSister_Mary_Gearchange, on Jun 07 2017 - 09:00, said:

M1A2 Abrams -  No. Just no.  The correct procedure for that would be to Run Away Quickly.  Yr not an MBT.  Now, if you happen to catch it napping from behind, maybe a fin round into the engine and *then* Run Away Quickly, but Running Away Quickly should be the first choice.

Just FYI, that is the plan.

In my story I am going to lure the Abrams, 2 Bradly's and a Stryker into a rock quarry and dispatch the 2 M2's there. after that lead the Styker and Abrams out towards a town, and take out the stryker while running through suburban streets. to deal with the Abrams i am going to have it chase my ERC into a outlet mall and with the help of some French Foreign Leigion infantry pop up behind it and place the Sabot right into its engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users