crew 104 crew mastery

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

scommy327 #61 Posted Apr 19 2017 - 03:12

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5700 battles
  • [KLICK] KLICK
What would be best crew skills for a Tiger 1? 

timelabor #62 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 00:54

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 28340 battles

Mine varies by tank and nation...

every country, every tier, every type:  BIA

TD and LT -- Camo and 6th sense

SPG - who care?  Once you get BIA there's not much else to help you -- camo, but you get spotted -- hit -- you're dead anyway

MT and HT -- some careful planning here:

HT at tier over 6 and counties with engines that fire up at 20% -- get the Maintenance to reduce fire risk and Safe stowage -- reduce chances of that annoying ammo rack hit on a tank that already take 9,10,13 seconds to load... NO to Camo, yes to recon & other vision extenders

MT -- similar to the HT - but Camo is more important and the handling characteristics improvements -- these are the tanks and crews where 4-5-6 perks/skills make the biggest difference (IMHO)

I learned to work on the % increase items first (those that provide immediate benefits as the % increases) -- and then re-skill during sale times to get those 100% required items (BIA, 6th, Safe Stowage, etc).

This another Perk/Skill that would be interesting is some sort of Medic Skill -- allows a crew member to be "rehabilitated" -- similar to other repairs that occur over time --- during the medic intervention the affected crew member would slowly heal... but anyone with medic capabilities would perform as less that 100% efficiency -- multiple medics, faster recovery time.

Edited by timelabor, Apr 21 2017 - 00:55.

chambax #63 Posted Apr 26 2017 - 18:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 13756 battles
  • [_B-Z_] _B-Z_
I wish i could share the crew among same nation/tank type. Have to train a good crew for each tank is just imposible.

Schrader78 #64 Posted Apr 27 2017 - 01:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 19099 battles
  • [BR1] BR1

Could someone please tell me why if you have a female crew that is incomplete, that female crew came with SOS pre-loaded, and you add a male crew member to fill out your crew, why when he is finally trained in BIA that the BIA and SOS are not compatible? Now I understand that it is obvious that the names are not the same but the icon is. So, I thought they would work together. Imagine my dismay when BIA was finally trained and it made no difference at all. All the stats on that tank still say that BIA does not apply, so no bonus.

Edited by Schrader78, Apr 27 2017 - 01:45.

Boomslanger #65 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 01:06

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 27342 battles
  • [A_O_D] A_O_D

View PostGhostPrime, on Feb 22 2017 - 09:30, said:

Hello Tankers! 

We would like to know how you all set up your crew in your tanks? Everyone is different in the way they pick crews and perks. What ones are the best for you, and in what tank/type of tank?

Please check out this article to see some tips, and some crew setups from our staff

Let us know yours in this thread! 

View PostMacDaddyMatty, on Feb 22 2017 - 09:52, said:

I mostly run dedicated crews, and tweak the skills according to that tanks strengths/weaknesses.

For tier 6 and up, I retrain a crew from a tier 3 or 4 tank that has 2+ skills to the new tank, as the higher tiers suffer from unskilled crews more than the lower tiers. Sometimes I will take crews from several tanks to fill a new high tier tank. I don't mind having mixed crews at low tiers as the elite tanks boost the most unskilled crew*

* As long as you check "accelerate crew treaining" ++

++ This should be the default.

View PostLordCommanderMilitant, on Feb 22 2017 - 09:59, said:

Repairs, BIA, 6th Sense, Recon, Fire Control, Camo

Snap Shot, BIA, Deadeye, Repairs, Fire Control, Camo

Smooth Ride, BIA, Repairs, Fire Control, Camo

Repairs, BIA, Fire Control, Camo

Sit Awareness, BIA, Repairs, Fire Control, Camo.

Of course, I train the first set then drop them for BIA when they're done and retrain them again as the second perk. I haven't actually made it to having 4 complete skills on any crew, but I guess the only thing left at that point would be camo.

Most of the skills aren't worth it. I think my JS-3 crew has one of the loader Perks to make it not spontaneously explode, but otherwise there's not that much that's useful once you've got the essential ones.

View PostLordCommanderMilitant, on Feb 22 2017 - 09:59, said:

Repairs, BIA, 6th Sense, Recon, Fire Control, Camo

Snap Shot, BIA, Deadeye, Repairs, Fire Control, Camo

Smooth Ride, BIA, Repairs, Fire Control, Camo

Repairs, BIA, Fire Control, Camo

Sit Awareness, BIA, Repairs, Fire Control, Camo.

Of course, I train the first set then drop them for BIA when they're done and retrain them again as the second perk. I haven't actually made it to having 4 complete skills on any crew, but I guess the only thing left at that point would be camo.

Most of the skills aren't worth it. I think my JS-3 crew has one of the loader Perks to make it not spontaneously explode, but otherwise there's not that much that's useful once you've got the essential ones.

When I first started playing I went under the assumption that the crew I had must be at least average in the job they were given and did not think training the crew was very important. After all in real life a crew that went into combat be it the German, British , Russian or American or any other country a  tank crew was their most trained and elite soldier (read about the German tank crew in WW-II their very best, seasoned, trained soldiers from Wehrmacht and the Waffen Schutz Staffel (the war fighting SS)   went and trained as Panzer crews. Also, these dudes crewed tanks that were mostly to be found with elite units supported by equally elite Panzer Grenadier Foot soldiers. The same for the allies with elite tank Regiments with weird names like "Fusiliers" and "Poona horse" etc. SO no army like said "I think we could buy a good tank by looking up the "tech Tree" for our requirement and crew it with 4 or 5 of our infantry dudes who can learn the tank Academy courses while on the job if they dont get killed Furthermore when done they can, very slowly. learn skills that we dont know yet what they are for. I finally gave in when I was grinding with my T-34 and it was taking forever to unlock the T-43 and begin to train my crew with skills I hadn't the faintest idea about. I chose the skills by interpreting their English language meaning and expected great things to happen so my Gunner got "Dead eye" of which I had read both in popular and classic fiction to mean " great aim" even the description in WoT, obviously put there by our Russian friends read "enable the gunner to identify modules that may  cause serious pain to the enemy and hopefully destroy them with some great aiming so it was according to my gunner's interpretation a skill no gunner should be without. Like wise 'snap shot'  and so on. With a lot of crew XPs stashed up my first set of Skills for the crew reached a hundred percent very quickly and the Commander had the only useful sounding skill "eagle eye", Gunner had "dead eye" driver had "smooth ride"  others If I remember right had "camo and a few other useless skills. Net result? even though I had the binoculars; camo net and Christie's suspension and some good food for the crew, my shooting and driving did not change the least bit. as far as staying hidden, with three of my crew at 100% camo and a camo net it seemed that if the battlefield were a dark stage, someone was shining a spotlight on me. Now the tank is pretty fast and snappy so I could reach some pretty damn crazy places like in Karelia tank half under water top hidden by long grass and a bush with a tree toppled over to use as cover + camo net. Spotted in 30 seconds killed by a heavy in another 20 seconds. Shot back 85mill APCR and missed missed and Bounce  (stupid gunner is useless after all the XPs and food spent on him. gave him a gun rammer which I exchanged with an enhanced gun laying drive in some games (-10 gold) and finally discarded the stupid net because it did not seem to help and gave the gun both the rammer and the gun laying drive I think it helped reloads a minuscule amount alternately who in WoT do I need to bribe and with what? ) Similarly, I attribute any driving skills of the driver to my handiness with keys. Having extensively used the keyboard in simulators (flight) and FPS games I am just a deadly dude with the arrow keys and the major enhancement that ever came was when I moved the driving keys to the arrow keys. I think the "wzas" keys to be stupid especially if you have mapped keys around it for other purposes that could get you killed in a battle if you use them Unintentionally at the wrong times. But hey whatever makes you a good driver works. I have driven a stick shift almost all my life and when someone says clutch braking bad things come to mind like "here lies John Blake, stepped on clutch instead of brakes" I do not care for clutch braking. I have ridden tanks and asked drivers I am given to understand that it is a way of reversing the transmission to counter rotate the transmission of one side of the tracks thus causing the tank to pivot around faster. I do not know if it means " a skill that helps you protect your engine and increase tank speed by 30%". I have never noticed the difference in the vehicle I really need to turn quickly, my SPG. Maybe it decreases your turn Radius but the only equipment in which I have seen Turn Radius matter are aircraft so there.Around this time after my expectations of the crew -skills were going through the ground, I decided to do some serious investigation. There's nothing searchable as 'crew skills' in tnkoPedia. Everywhere anyone has written about it it is the same description as the one you get in the GUI for choosing a tank skill Even in the article on this from which I got directed here. I do find a list of " good to have" skill set for a crew and a kind of tank but no one expands on what a skill does. And anyway unless WoT does so I shall not believe it. And anyway, now that I had a hundred Percent on my first set the second set was taking a million battles.That is it! I thought! WoT gave me a retarded crew who takes forever to be trained and must not be able to do even simple things of their specialty/functionality properly. So I started announcing it to the reds (in those days you could communicate with the reds and ask for favors or give away positions or cuss them and get them so annoyed that they won the battle faster and killed you over and over again till all that would be left of your tank would be some wisps of vapor. Anyway some red took pity and after shooting up my tank told me that this slow training was perfectly natural and I did not really think that those crew actually drove or fought did I? The crew was not retarded and, having watched me play, he was of the opinion that I totally sucked at the game and should Uninstall and play something else.Even your team mates do not give you such advice these days only the reds gave you advice and answered your queries, however, misleading the answer might be... Oh, how I long for an "allows you to cuss the red dudes " skill for the commander maybe? WoT could sell it even and make a pile... Well, I finally found my way to the T-62A that once held all of NATO and Western Europe at its Cannon point. I think it is under gunned considering the amount of shells I bounced off other tanks maybe it should be given a 120 mil gun like the one on the IS4 or better still a 130 mil gun of the Su-100Y. I attributed the low pen of the gun to Rifling. I assumed A high muzzle velocity would (maybe) rip off the inner sleeve of the gun so low-velocity rounds were used? But that fell to the side when I learned of the Indians using a 120mm rifled gun on their new tank which could fire kinetic rounds that needed very high muzzle velocity. I quickly sold the T-62A noting rightly that even though I had a tier X tank, I did not personally have Tier X skills also not being able to pen other tanks made me upgrade my ammo to premium HEAT rounds which were 4K credits a pop and I was quickly reducing my credits even when a battle was won. So I took a grave decision and dropped my medium lines at various tiers like the Centurion 1, the Leopard PT 1, the Sherman and picked up SPGs I read up forums and learnt the best practices in crew training and followed them and for the first time I picked out crew skills that have worked by way of self-tested verification. I have no recommendations to offer other than BIA which  seems to have an effect on all your equipment enhancing their ability and I am talking Equipment not crew. BIA thus reduces reload time (invaluable eh?)  reduces gun's dispersion , increases camo effect and god knows, almost every equipment that has crew control. will not effect a shell's effect for instance. Remember you can kill your BIA instantly by recruiting a female crew because you cannot teach BIA and SIS does not work with BIA  I have noted the effect of BIA on the Battle field on all SPGs And the E-50. so here is the list of skills I have messed around with to notice their effect and have in most cases measured their effect on  various crew type:

crew:

Commander: BIA

Sixth Sense (very useful especially when 100% but starts working earlier)

Eagle Eye (starts to work at 100% only you can see the damaged part of an enemy tank in Red on your reticle view.. Your gunner has to target and shoot immediately)

Mentor A good sounding perk with a good effect not seen it wok yet even at 100% I train my commander in it anyway;)

Gunner: BIA by itself after complete 100%  Crew training in BIA

have not noticed any other skill actually work that I could measure

I train my gunner in Deadeye and Snap shot more in superstitious hope than anything else. Does it make my shooting even a bit better? I have not been able to measure.

I have trained my gunner in every skill in tests but nothing has made any observable impact but BIA

Driver:

One of the crews that I have not yet observed BIA make a difference on

Controlled Impact: Boy! does this work and how!

Once a light tank came and rammed my Hummel and trashed it.

next game same kind of tank trashed me again.

I trained my Hummel tank driver on Controlled impact and when a few games later the same tank type tried to Trash me, it got trashed. I think I have won three or four "rock solid" little gold emblem thingy in my Hummel.

I quickly trained all my tank drivers and ramming me now is very dangerous for the opposing tanks. I mostly use it defensively and it may be my imagination but I think it bounces shells off too.

Well, I consider it observable and working as advertised and more. 

radio dude

Have noted that better the radio more tanks you can see and further away.  I always put the best Radio in my tank so I get a very good picture of the battle field and maybe because of that I do not see the effect of any skill, even BIA so you decide that a skill really works by counting the amount of tanks you see from your base maybe?

Loaders: Trying to test Adrenaline rush could be useful if it works. BIA enhances safety especially if you buy the wet ammo rack or a carousel. Much the same as the skills for the crew

. Intuition I need to test further as I do not change shell types often It would not add value to my tank anyway.

I have never noticed Camo work Though again by force of habit train my crew in it.

So that is all friends, it is not my observations in skill effects that I care for but I make an appeal to WoT and gamers who are learned and experienced to give information on what the skills actually provide and a way to discern the advertised effect of a skill. Not something like " Camo hides you so train in camo skill"' but more like " camo hides you may notice this easily while in the battle or training in the following way or if you do - - - -" I am sure it will make better player experience as they become adept at picking skills of their choice rather than depend on the vague description or even vaguer and practically useless recommendation of the skills a player's play style may require.

Boomslanger #66 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 01:18

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 27342 battles
  • [A_O_D] A_O_D
Or maybe give users a tool to measure. Like the effect of a camo, the dispersion (in a circle or actual distance a shell from the gun hit like maybe a "mouse over' or maybe a user can develop a mod or if there is a mod out there already let us/me know?

ianizor1000 #67 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 07:40

Captain

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [T_K_O] T_K_O

View PostDarkDaddy, on Feb 25 2017 - 14:09, said:

GhostPrime:

Should the forum have a "Crew Management" section?

WoT is a crew management game disguised as a tank game.  I certainly made a lot of crew management errors, and probably still do.  I think the need is there.  

On point to the direct post, I believe Garbad had a nice set of crew skill recommendations online

DarkDaddy

​Once crew is at 100% with 6th sense and repairs, the rest of the bonuses are small. Crew management is a very small portion of the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users