mac os x flashing glitch bug missing tanks missing logos

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

black_colt #61 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 22:35

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3337 battles

View PostUTurnTerminator, on Mar 18 2017 - 23:07, said:

Thanks to some finagling with the RB wrapper (many thanks to dstud208 for saving the day on this one) and I've figured out how to jury rig it to work. Sort of.

The RB wrapper does not launch properly at startup (usually crashing pretty hard) so I open the regular WOT wrapper, then force-quit it. For some reason that lets the RB wrapper start. However, it has to completely reinstall the game, all 7GB of it every time I want to play. This takes about 45 minutes to an hour on my connection (Charter High Speed Internet is just super). Now, the trouble is that it's a coin toss whether it will load in or not. Once it's finished updating, the launcher will either play flawlessly, or start an update process that I can't interrupt that breaks it again. It's not consistent, and I don't know why it happens. When it does happen, I have to force-quit everything, and then start over from scratch. If anyone has any ideas on what I might be doing wrong, or how to otherwise solve this dilemma, I'd be very grateful.

It's been discouraging to say the least that, as far as I've seen, there's been no word on this issue officially, let alone a potential fix in the works. While I have the game limping along now, this is far from what I'd call an acceptable long-term solution to an utterly asinine problem. But, we shall see what the future yet holds I suppose.

All the same, many thanks again to dstud208- if not for you I (as well as many other Mac users) would be utterly sunk. A great many of us (and a certain game developer too) owes you a great debt of gratitude for what you've managed to do!

Please raise a Support Ticket with CodeWeavers - https://www.codeweav...tact-us#support

Apparently [I read somewhere on the Forum - too tired to look for it] that a fix for some issues in being reviewed/evaluated by WarGaming - who knows maybe your issue is addressed in this unconfirmed patch by CodeWeavers.

If not, perhaps they have a solution for you or need more information so they can address

jesterx67 #62 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 22:43

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

codeweavers email today inr espone to the ticket i raised

We have found the fix for this issue and sent it over to Wargaming and they are testing it internally. It is now up to them on when to release the next update that fixes this issue.

SaucerGumshoe #63 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 23:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 8485 battles
My CodeWeavers support ticket says the same thing - its in WG's court. Whats funny here is I have a WG ticket open asking them about the fix CodeWeavers submitted to them and they keep giving me boiler plate/pre-canned response and close my ticket - and I keep reopening it. WG support is coming off as a bunch of clowns trying to close support tickets to make their numbers look good. Really annoyed right now

Edited by SaucerGumshoe, Mar 20 2017 - 23:09.

black_colt #64 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 23:17

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3337 battles

View PostSaucerGumshoe, on Mar 20 2017 - 14:04, said:

My CodeWeavers support ticket says the same thing - its in WG's court. Whats funny here is I have a WG ticket open asking them about the fix CodeWeavers submitted to them and they keep giving me boiler plate/pre-canned response and close my ticket - and I keep reopening it. WG support is coming off as a bunch of clowns trying to close support tickets to make their numbers look good. Really annoyed right now

moyzie01 suggested that we contact our Council of Armed Forces [COAF] through a Clan  - http://forum.worldof...0#entry10843749 - see Post #1014 - through which we could possibly express our disappointment [be nice now] on the perceived lack of concern/action on the CodeWeavers patch.

Do you know anyone is a Clan that can confirm the COAF and get your [and others] expression of disappointment further up the chain?

If so, please ask them if it is alright for others to contact them and request action?

Edited by black_colt, Mar 20 2017 - 23:18.

dstud208 #65 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 00:03

Captain

• Players
  • 17607 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO

View PostSaucerGumshoe, on Mar 20 2017 - 15:04, said:

HA!! That's awesome, "No! Don't close my ticket you hoser!"

SaucerGumshoe #66 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 01:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 8485 battles

Well I re-opened my support ticket twice today since I posted this (and they've closed it 3 times). The last WG support rep said he would forward it onto the development team... we'll see what happens. My hope is that with the way my IT support desk is at work, someone from the development team will interface with the support team and get it on a sprint cycle so it gets rolled out. I know at my job we always escalate outage bugs (which is what this is - the game is unplayable, not being dramatic).

In the end Mac users are probably such a minuscule part of their user base I see this happening over and over. In the end this is a PC game and thats just how it is. I've been on http://www.digitalstorm.com/ all day spec'ing out a PC for gaming just because this is not the first ported game on the Mac I've had issues with.

I'll probably sit tight for another couple weeks since I'm not looking to drop $2k-$3k on a PC right now.

black_colt #67 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 05:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3337 battles

View PostSaucerGumshoe, on Mar 20 2017 - 16:16, said:

Well I re-opened my support ticket twice today since I posted this (and they've closed it 3 times). The last WG support rep said he would forward it onto the development team... we'll see what happens. My hope is that with the way my IT support desk is at work, someone from the development team will interface with the support team and get it on a sprint cycle so it gets rolled out. I know at my job we always escalate outage bugs (which is what this is - the game is unplayable, not being dramatic).

In the end Mac users are probably such a minuscule part of their user base I see this happening over and over. In the end this is a PC game and thats just how it is. I've been on http://www.digitalstorm.com/ all day spec'ing out a PC for gaming just because this is not the first ported game on the Mac I've had issues with.

I'll probably sit tight for another couple weeks since I'm not looking to drop $2k-$3k on a PC right now.

Why not use Boot Camp to run MS Windows natively while this is sorted out? 

Microsoft allows you to download a full version of MS Windows 10 and use for thirty [30] days without activation.

I have a Boot Camp partition with MS Windows 10 Pro  [100 USD for a full retail version after initially testing out on my Apple-branded Intel-based hardware] for those times where the WoT Mac Wrapper is unplayable for whatever reason [hopefully WarGaming will either certify or reject the rumored patch from CodeWeavers].

SaucerGumshoe #68 Posted Mar 22 2017 - 01:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 8485 battles

Fair point on bootcamp. I used to dual boot and I got rid of it because I was running low on drive space but maybe I will go back to that as a work around. Good suggestion. I have an old iMac late 2009 model (Radeon 4850) so its showing its age, hence my reasoning about just buying a new PC for gaming - I probably came off as crazy saying I'd drop $2k to get around a mac wrapper problem :-). Really I need a new machine.

UTurnTerminator #69 Posted Mar 22 2017 - 05:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4635 battles

View PostSaucerGumshoe, on Mar 20 2017 - 23:04, said:

Seems you've had the same luck with WG's support department I've had. The most productive response I got was that they were aware of this issue.

The least productive was when I was told to play the game on a PC instead. :teethhappy:

black_colt #70 Posted Mar 22 2017 - 07:06

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3337 battles

View PostSaucerGumshoe, on Mar 21 2017 - 16:13, said:

Fair point on bootcamp. I used to dual boot and I got rid of it because I was running low on drive space but maybe I will go back to that as a work around. Good suggestion. I have an old iMac late 2009 model (Radeon 4850) so its showing its age, hence my reasoning about just buying a new PC for gaming - I probably came off as crazy saying I'd drop $2k to get around a mac wrapper problem :-). Really I need a new machine.

Have you tried the [rolled-back] wrapper - look for the posts from dstud208 for the details - which has allowed some Mac users to play the game?

Nice machine but you are right it is showing its age.

Perhaps not the best way/value - not crazy.

Hopefully Apple will refresh the iMac line soon - maybe we get Thunderbolt 3, a faster SSD, dedicated NVIDIA graphics with more than 4GB VRAM, and the latest Intel x64 processor - so if the need is not immediate you may be rewarded by waiting.

Edited by black_colt, Mar 22 2017 - 07:21.

black_colt #71 Posted Mar 22 2017 - 07:08

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3337 battles

View PostUTurnTerminator, on Mar 21 2017 - 20:08, said:

Seems you've had the same luck with WG's support department I've had. The most productive response I got was that they were aware of this issue.

The least productive was when I was told to play the game on a PC instead. :teethhappy:

The MS Windows ignorant are quite funny sometimes.

Looks like they are having more serious issues - user interface freezing, stuttering, etc - with the native app and MS Windows.

WarGaming really needs to make it more prominent that they do not support the WoT Mac Wrapper prior to allowing you to download.  The simple act of being able to download suggests that you can get support from WarGaming.

Apparently CodeWeavers has submitted a patch [not sure what it resolves] to WarGaming for certification/permission to release.  Hopefully WarGaming will action that request right away.

While this may not help you right now - there is possible light at the end of tunnel..

Edited by black_colt, Mar 22 2017 - 07:20.

UTurnTerminator #72 Posted Mar 23 2017 - 04:59

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4635 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Mar 22 2017 - 07:08, said:

The MS Windows ignorant are quite funny sometimes.

Looks like they are having more serious issues - user interface freezing, stuttering, etc - with the native app and MS Windows.

WarGaming really needs to make it more prominent that they do not support the WoT Mac Wrapper prior to allowing you to download.  The simple act of being able to download suggests that you can get support from WarGaming.

Apparently CodeWeavers has submitted a patch [not sure what it resolves] to WarGaming for certification/permission to release.  Hopefully WarGaming will action that request right away.

While this may not help you right now - there is possible light at the end of tunnel..

Good to know there's at least a fix in the works. Guess that's the best we can do.

black_colt #73 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 16:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3337 battles

View PostUTurnTerminator, on Mar 22 2017 - 19:59, said:

Good to know there's at least a fix in the works. Guess that's the best we can do.

Yeah - it is good to know that some issues have been patched/fixed - would like to get a change log so we can see what patches/fixes were submitted.

The waiting is the worst part ... really wish there was a formal process of requesting action [versus posting to the Forum] on this patch.

Edited by black_colt, Mar 24 2017 - 18:21.

SaucerGumshoe #74 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 22:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 8485 battles

Well I followed @black_colt's suggestions and installed windows on a separate drive partition. I had a hell of a time - my late 2009 iMac will not boot off a USB stick and my superdrive appears to be broken (will not read any discs) so bootcamp assistant was a no-go. I had to do all sorts of whacky work arounds with VirtualBox etc to get windows installed but I have it up and WOT is working OK now booted into Windows.

So I'd downgrade my particular case from "game is unplayable" to "annoyingly will reboot and play within windows"

black_colt #75 Posted Mar 25 2017 - 16:22

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3337 battles

View PostSaucerGumshoe, on Mar 24 2017 - 13:42, said:

Well I followed @black_colt's suggestions and installed windows on a separate drive partition. I had a hell of a time - my late 2009 iMac will not boot off a USB stick and my superdrive appears to be broken (will not read any discs) so bootcamp assistant was a no-go. I had to do all sorts of whacky work arounds with VirtualBox etc to get windows installed but I have it up and WOT is working OK now booted into Windows.

So I'd downgrade my particular case from "game is unplayable" to "annoyingly will reboot and play within windows"

That is unfortunate - usually no issues with Boot Camp.

In case you have noticed emulators, like VirtualBox, are RAM hogs.  

If you have not already maxed out the RAM on your 2009 IMac perhaps you would consider doing so.  The Late 2009 21.5 and 27-inch supports up to 16GB RAM while the Early 2009 20 and 24-inch supports up to 8GB RAM.  Adding RAM is really easy on either - just unscrew couple of/a screw, remove a cover, pull a tab, push-in to click, push back up, replace the cover and tighten the screws/screw.

bubbleboy264 #76 Posted Mar 28 2017 - 17:19

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4593 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

Hi, I downloaded the RB launcher and it worked the 1st time I used it. However now it tries to automatically update itself and I can't stop it. Hopefully wg will actually release a fixed version soon. Also I know this is a different game but wows is unplayable right now for weeks and naturally nothing is being done. The whole 2.0 launcher messed everything up.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users