E50 - Simply the Boss

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
313 replies to this topic

LeuCeaMia #301 Posted Nov 02 2011 - 11:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11553 battles

View Postconductiv, on Nov 02 2011 - 09:26, said:

I love medium tanks, and I'm soon to get my first T9 med since beta, the E-50.

as a F2P I'm currently setting credits and free exp aside to immidiatly mod the tank and quickly "rush" a single module (as in grind up half instead of the whole amount needed). either the gun or the engine.

as I read the thread now rushing the engine is the wisest thing. so tracks>engine. after that slowly develop turret and 105mm, using the 88/L71 as the main gun and skipping the 88/L100 untill its team to elite the tank.

or do you guys feel a different upgrade path is in order.
You don't need the tracks to get the engine as all the engines the E-50 mounts have the same weight.

podcat #302 Posted Nov 03 2011 - 13:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 9128 battles

View Postflintcoin, on Nov 02 2011 - 08:48, said:

You'd have to be really really bad to get killed by a t54 imho

been testing this versus a buddy a few times and if 54 gets in close fast and tracks you you are dead because on level ground the 54 can circle faster than you can spin your turret. its pretty well balanced. most 54s arent good enough to do this though and then you have a huge advantage because of dps and hitpoints. same goes in wolfpacks where they cant circle at all and the Es should win every time. E however is a much worse scouts and cant knife-fight heavies as well so it feels pretty balanced so far. Patton could do with a turret armor buff to stay competitive though.

Vandelay #303 Posted Nov 03 2011 - 14:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11324 battles

View Postpodcat, on Nov 03 2011 - 13:07, said:

been testing this versus a buddy a few times and if 54 gets in close fast and tracks you you are dead because on level ground the 54 can circle faster than you can spin your turret. its pretty well balanced. most 54s arent good enough to do this though and then you have a huge advantage because of dps and hitpoints. same goes in wolfpacks where they cant circle at all and the Es should win every time. E however is a much worse scouts and cant knife-fight heavies as well so it feels pretty balanced so far. Patton could do with a turret armor buff to stay competitive though.

You sure? I thought with hull and turret movement combined the E-50 could turn quite a bit faster than the T-54 can circle.

Or are you talking about if a T-54 tracks the E-50 first?

podcat #304 Posted Nov 03 2011 - 15:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 9128 battles

View PostVandelay, on Nov 03 2011 - 14:47, said:

You sure? I thought with hull and turret movement combined the E-50 could turn quite a bit faster than the T-54 can circle.

Or are you talking about if a T-54 tracks the E-50 first?

yes I win easy if he can't track me on flat ground. even if I use repair kit to rep the track he will by then be on other side of me and track the other side :P but it requires good driving. if the terrain isnt flat t-54 gains more advantage because of the agility and can dip around to make you miss (although if he tries to circle while uphill you will be able to track him with your turret). If he tries hugging the side of the e-50 it means you can only pen by shooting his hatches which can be tricky if he moves around erratically while he always pens your side, but tracking and circling seems safer

1An0maly1 #305 Posted Nov 04 2011 - 23:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 9991 battles
The fact is that German tanks were made for long range shooting. They were not made for dogfighting.

Its hilarious to hear German players bragging about ramming T-54's and doing tons of damage. First off, it doesn't work that way. We all know that, I've only been rammed once by an E-50 where it was significant and in all reality from an engineering perspective the ramming damage is far over powered.

You don't always get the chance of ramming a T-54, and I'm talking about an intelligent T-54. We're not here to talk about the back end of the bell curve people.

The T-54 has no chance at long range, why E-50's think they should charge is beyond me. You fight to your strengths and your opponents weaknesses.

Just because you can hit 60 kph does not mean you should in a fight, lets be quite frank. Let me guess, with the E-50 many of you have troubles even hitting the T-54 at maximum speeds, them going 56 kph and you going 60 kph? I have yet to be hit in such cases. Why is it a problem? Because you guys have only been fighting like that for a single tank, T-54's fight like that through nearly nine consecutive tanks.

But you know what, I can stand here and whine all I like and it won't do any good because you guys just love your tanks that much. Which is good for you, you found the tank you love just as I have in my T-54. Instead of bitch you out and tell you how dumb or arrogant you are (in the words of another guy who did bitch me out in here), I'll give some tips for dog fighting from someone with more then 1,800 battles of dog fighting.

The most important thing is that dog fighting is a dance. A very good dog fighter will be able to set the tone of the fight, to keep up the rhythm, and most importantly to make the opponent fight to an unfamiliar tune. You need to find the music of dog fighting, otherwise your timing will be off and if you falter your enemy will notice and soon enough it will be you fighting to their tune, not the other way around.

Dog fighting isn't about firing off as many rounds as possible and hoping one hits, sure it seems like common sense, but I don't even need the 200 mm on my turret considering how poorly some people aim around here. My overall accuracy is 61% and my T-54 accuracy is closer to 70%. The irony being that German cannons are notoriously accurate on paper but in reality they are far less in battle because German players just don't know how to dog fight.

The T-54 was built only to dog fight, you were only built to snipe. The 60 kph engine is nothing more then a bonus (and a really nice one too, if I had that I could probably get airborne), the T-54 has far far far far far more practical dog fighting experience then most E-50 drivers do. How many battles have you guys done in tanks specifically made to dog fight? And by more experience I literally mean that the average E-50's experiences in a dog fight are a pathetic shadow of a T-54 driver that grinded through every tank in the medium line. It's not an insult, it's a statement of fact.

Also, you are a really big target, if you stop moving I guarantee you that the T-54 will have 100% accuracy but since the T-54 is still moving at 40-56 kph you will net maybe 40%-70%. You need to realize the mentality of the defensive measures on the T-54. They can be summed up with the words "cant touch this". In my opinion there is no safer thing in the game then a T-54 turning at 56 kph in a dogfight, there is simply nothing that can touch it.

Think hard about it, the T-54's side armor is paper, literally paper, its so low that it is the only tier 9 tank where you can get the penetration bonus for having double the penetration necessary on just the side armor.
How can something like that ever be hated so much? People called it OP and still call it vastly OP. The reason is simple, you can't penetrate what you can't hit. If you can't hit the side armor then there's just no point.

I can't give any tips for aim because my indoctrination in the Russian medium line (literally 90%-98% of my battles) has made all those skills into innate instincts, so I wouldn't know where to begin because I take them for granted.

What I can do is give tips to take advantage of those same qualities. The first maneuver is the J-turn.

The J-turn is your go to close range offensive maneuver. It assumes the following:

You are facing the enemy and the enemy is either facing you or is not moving.

You can survive incoming hits (if your that low on health that you can't survive more then two hits then there is no point, hang back and stay alive by sniping).

Your enemy is alone (as you get better you can even take on two enemies)

There is clear terrain you can move through without dropping speed.

The J turn is simple. Your tank starts at the top of the J and your opponent is at the middle of the curve. This is the easiest way to initiate a turning fight. Continue the turning fight and continue to circle the enemy and do not stop under any circumstances unless they are able to turn the turret fast enough in which case throw it into reverse and repeatedly switch forwards and reverse.

The super J-turn = It is the same as a normal J-turn except you are doing it downhill and so you maintain top speed throughout the turn.

How I do the J-turn: I do a normal J-turn but I begin by firing at the enemy (assuming I can pen) the second I initiate it so that by the time I am at the base of the J or right behind them I will have the gun reloaded to fire again into their soft rear armor. Under no circumstances do I stop.

An E-50 that uses this technique will not need that heavy duty side armor because your opponent won't be able to even hit you. The only thing better then a shot bouncing off you or a shot that didn't penetrate you is a shot that doesn't even hit you in the first place.

My opinion of the T-54 can be summed up with my sig: "Velocitas Eradico: I am speed and I destroy."

You cannot dog fight if you have no speed, if you have speed and you are in a dog fight then you become destruction incarnate. Keep that in mind and you will be a lot more formidable.

I will post again with more tactics if you guys like.

Maxxacre #306 Posted Nov 06 2011 - 09:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 4400 battles
I don't really think that it's all so cut and dry between the T-54 and the E-50.  I am seeing a lot of people comparing the two here, and each player has his own opinion on which tank is superior.  The way I see it, the superior tank is the one which is being driven by the superior driver.  There are tanks, particularly in lower and mid tiers, which are just sub-par or which will generally under-perform because they are being matched against higher tiers, but when it comes to the tier 9 tanks... it's all about the driver.

The E-50, Patton, and T-54 each have their own merits... and if a tanker is able to play to the particular strengths of his tank, while minimizing it's weaknesses, he will end up on top.  Now, as I see it, the E-50 is a complete beast when played correctly, just as the other tier 9 mediums are.

Once the tank is fully upgraded, with the 105, it's simply incredible.  I only really played it for doubles until I got it fully upgraded (I got the E-100 first, so I had most of it researched already), but once I got the 105 it turned into a completely different machine for me.  Right now, it's rare for me to get less than 1300 XP in a round.  I'm consistently killing multiple tanks each round, but more importantly, I'm putting out a lot of penetrating hits on whatever I come across.

Some people have made the argument that the E-50 is nothing more than a sniper and a support tank... which is a role it fills quite well... but I brawl quite a bit in it and I've had success in doing so.  From playing through the German heavy line, angling my armor has become instinctive and I'm able to bounce shots and play peekaboo with the tank quite well... but the gun has incredible DPM and I rarely bounce with it.  Not only that, but the aim time is very fast, the reload time is very fast, and the effective range is far more than anything else I've used.  You can reliably nail tanks in the side between 600-700 meters out with this thing... that comes in handy more often than not.

There's nothing I fear on the battlefield anymore.  There are simply things I have to be cautious of... such as a T-95 lining me up... but the tools are there to deal with it.  It's not as agile as a T-54, but it's fast and traverse is good enough to get the job done.

Bottom line, if you try to circle strafe in an E-50 like you're a T-54, you're doing it wrong.  If you play it right, which I see few people doing really (but that's any tank) then you WILL succeed in this tank.  Isn't that something us German tankers deserve anyway?  The T-54 serves its purpose, and it's certainly not going to be replaced by the E-50... but what the E-50 does, it does very well... and it does a lot more than just snipe and support if you want it to.  Of course, like I said, it all comes down to who is driving the thing.  A skilled T-54 driver will chew up a noob E-50 driver with ease... just like a skilled E-50 driver will destroy a T-54 driver with ease.

When the two tanks meet on the battlefield and they are both driven by equally skilled players, that's when it boils down to who uses the strengths of their tank the best, and who minimizes their weaknesses the most.  At the end of the day, that's the real difference between any equally balanced tanks of the same type in the same tier.

All I can say is that this tank caters to my play style in pubs very well and it's being reflected in the amount of XP I'm getting, and my performance in each round, since upgrading the tank fully.  That's enough for me... T-54 drivers can talk all day about how superior their tank is to mine, but none of that matters to me when I'm getting lots of kills and XP on a consistent basis.  Most importantly, I'm having a load of fun with it.  Why rain on the parade?

flintcoin #307 Posted Nov 07 2011 - 02:22

Major

• Players
  • 41506 battles
  • [BT] BT

View Post1An0maly1, on Nov 04 2011 - 23:30, said:

The fact is that German tanks were made for long range shooting. They were not made for dogfighting.

Its hilarious to hear German players bragging about ramming T-54's and doing tons of damage. First off, it doesn't work that way. We all know that, I've only been rammed once by an E-50 where it was significant and in all reality from an engineering perspective the ramming damage is far over powered.

You don't always get the chance of ramming a T-54, and I'm talking about an intelligent T-54. We're not here to talk about the back end of the bell curve people.

The T-54 has no chance at long range, why E-50's think they should charge is beyond me. You fight to your strengths and your opponents weaknesses.

Just because you can hit 60 kph does not mean you should in a fight, lets be quite frank. Let me guess, with the E-50 many of you have troubles even hitting the T-54 at maximum speeds, them going 56 kph and you going 60 kph? I have yet to be hit in such cases. Why is it a problem? Because you guys have only been fighting like that for a single tank, T-54's fight like that through nearly nine consecutive tanks.

But you know what, I can stand here and whine all I like and it won't do any good because you guys just love your tanks that much. Which is good for you, you found the tank you love just as I have in my T-54. Instead of bitch you out and tell you how dumb or arrogant you are (in the words of another guy who did bitch me out in here), I'll give some tips for dog fighting from someone with more then 1,800 battles of dog fighting.

The most important thing is that dog fighting is a dance. A very good dog fighter will be able to set the tone of the fight, to keep up the rhythm, and most importantly to make the opponent fight to an unfamiliar tune. You need to find the music of dog fighting, otherwise your timing will be off and if you falter your enemy will notice and soon enough it will be you fighting to their tune, not the other way around.

Dog fighting isn't about firing off as many rounds as possible and hoping one hits, sure it seems like common sense, but I don't even need the 200 mm on my turret considering how poorly some people aim around here. My overall accuracy is 61% and my T-54 accuracy is closer to 70%. The irony being that German cannons are notoriously accurate on paper but in reality they are far less in battle because German players just don't know how to dog fight.

The T-54 was built only to dog fight, you were only built to snipe. The 60 kph engine is nothing more then a bonus (and a really nice one too, if I had that I could probably get airborne), the T-54 has far far far far far more practical dog fighting experience then most E-50 drivers do. How many battles have you guys done in tanks specifically made to dog fight? And by more experience I literally mean that the average E-50's experiences in a dog fight are a pathetic shadow of a T-54 driver that grinded through every tank in the medium line. It's not an insult, it's a statement of fact.

Also, you are a really big target, if you stop moving I guarantee you that the T-54 will have 100% accuracy but since the T-54 is still moving at 40-56 kph you will net maybe 40%-70%. You need to realize the mentality of the defensive measures on the T-54. They can be summed up with the words "cant touch this". In my opinion there is no safer thing in the game then a T-54 turning at 56 kph in a dogfight, there is simply nothing that can touch it.

Think hard about it, the T-54's side armor is paper, literally paper, its so low that it is the only tier 9 tank where you can get the penetration bonus for having double the penetration necessary on just the side armor.
How can something like that ever be hated so much? People called it OP and still call it vastly OP. The reason is simple, you can't penetrate what you can't hit. If you can't hit the side armor then there's just no point.

I can't give any tips for aim because my indoctrination in the Russian medium line (literally 90%-98% of my battles) has made all those skills into innate instincts, so I wouldn't know where to begin because I take them for granted.

What I can do is give tips to take advantage of those same qualities. The first maneuver is the J-turn.

The J-turn is your go to close range offensive maneuver. It assumes the following:

You are facing the enemy and the enemy is either facing you or is not moving.

You can survive incoming hits (if your that low on health that you can't survive more then two hits then there is no point, hang back and stay alive by sniping).

Your enemy is alone (as you get better you can even take on two enemies)

There is clear terrain you can move through without dropping speed.

The J turn is simple. Your tank starts at the top of the J and your opponent is at the middle of the curve. This is the easiest way to initiate a turning fight. Continue the turning fight and continue to circle the enemy and do not stop under any circumstances unless they are able to turn the turret fast enough in which case throw it into reverse and repeatedly switch forwards and reverse.

The super J-turn = It is the same as a normal J-turn except you are doing it downhill and so you maintain top speed throughout the turn.

How I do the J-turn: I do a normal J-turn but I begin by firing at the enemy (assuming I can pen) the second I initiate it so that by the time I am at the base of the J or right behind them I will have the gun reloaded to fire again into their soft rear armor. Under no circumstances do I stop.

An E-50 that uses this technique will not need that heavy duty side armor because your opponent won't be able to even hit you. The only thing better then a shot bouncing off you or a shot that didn't penetrate you is a shot that doesn't even hit you in the first place.

My opinion of the T-54 can be summed up with my sig: "Velocitas Eradico: I am speed and I destroy."

You cannot dog fight if you have no speed, if you have speed and you are in a dog fight then you become destruction incarnate. Keep that in mind and you will be a lot more formidable.

I will post again with more tactics if you guys like.
Most rams in a t54 are NOT at 60kmh.  Most are at low speeds to keep our prey t54's permatracked.  

80% of short range engagements with a t54 I get to love bump them. The other 20% they are trying to run when they die.

E50's dont dance or dogfight.  The t54 is more agile and chasing them at 60kmh is counterproductive UNLESS theyre arty rushing.  They will then either zig zag or drive straight at their objective.  Not too hard to hit them at speed then.  

An e50 outbrawls a t54.  As you said were built for sniping.  A moving target at close range is far easier to hit then one at 500m.  The t54 is going to get abused, frustrated, eventually tracked, and die. period.

I really like how your dogfighting experience is including at1's and ms1's.  Youre actual medium experience is far lower than 90% of 2000ish games but whose counting.  

I love t54's that actually try to close with me I hate chasing them.  

Training room sometime?  say malinkova field center.  Then we can try a variety of maps including city maps etc.  100m engagement range or 50 if you prefer.  You can be going as fast as you want ill be sitting still.  Hell facehug if you want then say go.  We can even platoon or ill let you on our ts3 so you dont have to type when youre ready.

flintcoin #308 Posted Nov 07 2011 - 02:29

Major

• Players
  • 41506 battles
  • [BT] BT

View Postpodcat, on Nov 03 2011 - 15:13, said:

yes I win easy if he can't track me on flat ground. even if I use repair kit to rep the track he will by then be on other side of me and track the other side :P but it requires good driving. if the terrain isnt flat t-54 gains more advantage because of the agility and can dip around to make you miss (although if he tries to circle while uphill you will be able to track him with your turret). If he tries hugging the side of the e-50 it means you can only pen by shooting his hatches which can be tricky if he moves around erratically while he always pens your side, but tracking and circling seems safer

Unfortunately the t54 is going to slow down going uphill and get caught in uneven terrain.  The e50 can tank 1-2 hits initially and still come out on top more often then not.  Ive been permatracked when packed by 2 or more meds but never one.  If hes tracking me he's not really doing much damage and is still dogmeat.  An e50 with the 105 can reliably pen the turret on a t54. Not a good idea for the driver.

Best thing a t54 can do is run and hope the e50 follows into a city or your teammates' guns.  If its a city you hope he's a nub and wont just wait for you to get impatient and come around a corner.

minime262 #309 Posted Nov 07 2011 - 02:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19373 battles
  • [BEEER] BEEER

View Postflintcoin, on Nov 07 2011 - 02:22, said:

Most rams in a t54 are NOT at 60kmh.  Most are at low speeds to keep our prey t54's permatracked.  

80% of short range engagements with a t54 I get to love bump them. The other 20% they are trying to run when they die.

E50's dont dance or dogfight.  The t54 is more agile and chasing them at 60kmh is counterproductive UNLESS theyre arty rushing.  They will then either zig zag or drive straight at their objective.  Not too hard to hit them at speed then.  

An e50 outbrawls a t54.  As you said were built for sniping.  A moving target at close range is far easier to hit then one at 500m.  The t54 is going to get abused, frustrated, eventually tracked, and die. period.

I really like how your dogfighting experience is including at1's and ms1's.  Youre actual medium experience is far lower than 90% of 2000ish games but whose counting.  

I love t54's that actually try to close with me I hate chasing them.  

Training room sometime?  say malinkova field center.  Then we can try a variety of maps including city maps etc.  100m engagement range or 50 if you prefer.  You can be going as fast as you want ill be sitting still.  Hell facehug if you want then say go.  We can even platoon or ill let you on our ts3 so you dont have to type when youre ready.

you are on;)

RolandVH #310 Posted Nov 07 2011 - 20:02

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 35938 battles
  • [XMCX] XMCX

View Post1An0maly1, on Nov 04 2011 - 23:30, said:

I actually disagree with the emboldened statements here, at least a little bit. Before the E-50 was added, a Panther driver had to go through the oddball VK3002DB, which is actually considered to be a good [at least decent] dogfighter for its tier. You had to dogfight, to get close and make the sub-par [at tier 7] short 88 effective. Other tanks in the line could also be close-range fighters with certain equipment setups [VK3001H with 105mm gun, Panzer III with 75mm snubnose gun]. I'm not denying that an E-50 driver would have less experience with brawling than a T-54 driver; I'm just saying that E-50 drivers have a bit more experience than you might think ^__^

MaxMike #311 Posted Nov 08 2011 - 17:10

Major

• Players
  • 16349 battles
I guess some T-54 driver are so uber intelligent they can avoid being rammed by E-50s and just dance away... I ain't seem many of them though.

I don't think the T-54  dogfight advocate quite grasps the fact you only have to glancingly scrape a T-54 to stop him or track him, break his momentum, and make him a sitting duck. Oh and you don't have to hit a T-54 full speed to do significant damage I T-boned one a few days ago going about half speed and did 300+ damage.

In a upgraded E-50 a driver that knows what he is doing can pivot in place and keep it face toward a T-54 faster than the T-54 can circle the E-50. Yea I take a dogfight anytime when my nose is pointed at the side of the other tank. This begs the point that if you see a T-54 coming you can usually cripple him before he gets in dogfighting range.

Indoctrinated is the exact word to describe someone with no experience outside a limited range of Russian tanks lecturing others on the proper way to drive their tanks, tanks he has zero experience in.

Anyone that thinks the E-50 is simply a sniper and support tank and cannot brawl has no idea what they are talking about.

In my E-50 T-54s don't worry me Pattons are far more a threat.

Maxxacre #312 Posted Nov 09 2011 - 12:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 4400 battles
Any competent E-50 driver can avoid being circled by a T-54 with relative ease.  If you get tracked, you'll get hit in the side or back maybe once or twice... but it's very easy to get back into a position to bounce his shots even after that.  Turret and track traverse is not as slow as people make it out to be... when you're going full speed, it certainly doesn't turn on a dime, but when engaging a T-54 in the open you really just need to stop and stand your ground.  If the situation allows it, you can open up by ramming the T-54 in the side and keep him in a good position for you to hit him up pretty good.  You can continue to slow him down as he tries to circle you by just tapping him if you want... but you really don't need to.  Let's not forget that the E-50 has a superior gun as well...

I understand that the T-54 and E-50 have different roles to fulfill on the team... but I don't fear T-54s on the battlefield when I'm in my E-50 at all.  Perhaps they don't fear me either... but I usually end up the winner of those encounters, so maybe they should be more afraid.  They might stay alive another 10 seconds or so.

OddKilla #313 Posted Nov 28 2011 - 19:05

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9106 battles
  • [BG] BG

View PostMaxMike, on Nov 08 2011 - 17:10, said:

Indoctrinated is the exact word to describe someone with no experience outside a limited range of Russian tanks lecturing others on the proper way to drive their tanks, tanks he has zero experience in.
Before i say anything regarding the T54/E50 debate let me say I have never once driven a T54, and only fought them, but...I have never feared a 1v1 with a T54 in either a Patton or an E50. What I fear is a pair of them, when you have to choose which one to shoot and will seldom be able to kill before his buddy takes you out from behind. A lot of this conversation is moot in the arenas, how often do you really get a 1v1 on a pool table with no intervention?

View PostMaxMike, on Nov 08 2011 - 17:10, said:

In my E-50 T-54s don't worry me Pattons are far more a threat.
I've been wanting to bring that up, on my son's account (he hardly plays anymore) I have an elite Patton and I fear an E50 more than a T54 with it too. At least in most situations that you see in the open (PUG) battles. I have stand-off capability like the E50, if the T54 wants to dogfight he's gonna pay just trying to close the distance, plus the Patton can see the full 500 yards, has a nearly bulletproof turret for hull-down, and has barrel depression that allows you to use hull-down where the E50 will simply not have a shot without sticking his nose our or over the cover. The Patton is not a good dogfighter, but it has options and abilities to keep itself out of a dogfight.

Then again, once the bench racing conversation is over and we get back to the reality of a public battle you have to remember that this 1v1 scenario ends with both players getting artied by 1,000mm of steel rain while you try to do the "dance".

Garnett101st #314 Posted Nov 28 2011 - 21:12

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18039 battles
E50s or any other tier 8-10 tanks have no reason to fear a T54, unless they're coming in packs and you're alone. You should fear an E50 more than a T54, The E50 can snipe you, It will probably out DPM you, He probably has more health than you and he can ram you..

E50 is fking awesome! I dont own one yet, But one day i will  :Smile-izmena:

E50 > T54  (Im shocked that i havent read "T54 drivers just suck" or "T54 is just fine, They need to L2P" when the T54 is badly UP)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users