Luck skill

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

BasilBarfly01 #21 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 05:04

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10782 battles
  • [MUG-D] MUG-D

Ok, my final thought on this topic.  If all the players who tell us how to play are so good and there is nothing wrong with the game mechanics, nor is there anything wrong with match making, then how come there are no players with over 75% win ratio?

Basil

ff8ff8 #22 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 06:46

Captain

• Players
  • 17808 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostBasilBarfly01, on Sep 12 2017 - 20:04, said:

Ok, my final thought on this topic.  If all the players who tell us how to play are so good and there is nothing wrong with the game mechanics, nor is there anything wrong with match making, then how come there are no players with over 75% win ratio?

Basil

...there are

Doomslinger #23 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 07:07

Major

• Players
  • 60559 battles

View PostBasilBarfly01, on Sep 13 2017 - 00:04, said:

Basil

Here are over 40 players with over 75% w/r with over 1000 battles played:

Noobmeter

Chalybos #24 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 17:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20894 battles

Here's the thing about claims of luck: what makes them special and you jinxed?  All things being equal, the only variable is the person at the keyboard.  Unless they paid extra for WoTXTRAluckypackage.exe from the premium store.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.  

platoscum #25 Posted Oct 02 2017 - 20:30

Private

• -Players-
  • 3158 battles
  • [1MOAC] 1MOAC
Do you think Poker is all luck?  If you do, you're a damn fool.  In games with random variables,  the randomness evens out over iterations.  Also, it's ridiculous all the [edited]people make about tiers.  When you're a tier IV,  in a game with tier VI tanks,  the OTHER SIDE ALSO HAS TIER IV TANKS!!  Every disadvantage you can think of is usually mirrored on the other side.  If not this game, then the next.  Does anyone ever complain when their team gets an unfair advantage?  Losing streaks happen.  It's the nature of probability.  You're not gonna win then lose then win then lose.  There are going to be long streaks when you feel the game is unfair in some way because you couldn't possibly be THIS BAD.  Well,  you CAN improve your winrate if you want to...  It takes research and reflection on what you might do differently,  and just plain grinding crew skills.  The players who continually [edited]about how unfair rng is or unfairness of the game have a psychological issue to overcome, plain and simple.  Stop [edited]about unfairness in game and in life and you will be a force to be reckoned with.

taugrim #26 Posted Oct 02 2017 - 22:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21031 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

View PostBasilBarfly01, on Mar 03 2017 - 01:35, said:

I have only been playing for a few months on the USA(East) and Asia servers and I have come to the conclusion that this game is 10% skill and 90% luck.

Now I know you are going to look at my stats and say I am a bad player.  I counter that I am an unlucky player.  If luck had nothing to do with it, then why are there not many people with over 60% score?  Because if you get to good at the game and you are becoming skillful at it, the game puts you in with a bunch of thumb sucking, crayon eating, helmet wearing, screen licking, glue sniffing nerf herding tomatoes who couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

Let me first say I'm not posting to be mean to you, but this whole premise is ridiculous.

Yes, WoT has a high degree of RNG. However, WoT also has an extremely high skill cap and mistakes are punished severely, as is inaction, poor decision-making, lack of awareness, and lack of knowledge of game mechanics.

You have played over a hundred different tanks, and you fail to contribute to your team in your average battle in any meaningful way, based on my glancing at your 30 most-played tanks.

So why is it you think you're unlucky and not bad?

You are failing to recognize your incompetence, and hence blaming it on bad luck, because you simply do not understand what skill is in this game. It's called the "Dunning Kruger" effect.

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein people of low ability suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority derives from the metacognitiveinability of low-ability persons to recognize their own ineptitude.

You will not reach even average performance until you are wiling to be reflective and meaningfully consider how you can improve your skill level. This is the same for any domain, not just a game like WoT.

Again, I don't say this to be mean to you - I've spent literally hundreds of hours publishing guides on WoT to help players. My desire is to help people. And that starts with cutting through sillyness like your whole premise.

Think of it this way - you're consistently in the bottom 20% in terms of statistical performance for any given tank in your garage, across many dozens of tanks. Which is the more rational explanation:

1. I'm unlucky

2. I'm bad

Edited by taugrim, Oct 02 2017 - 22:47.

taugrim #27 Posted Oct 02 2017 - 22:43

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21031 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

View PostColinB, on Mar 16 2017 - 19:30, said:

Hi Basil.

I understand what you mean. I'm a bad player who wants to do better. Sometimes there doesn't seem to be a single thing you can do. It is a very bad feeling when you think that you can and should do better, but nothing works.

There is some luck involved, but in my newbie view, how you perform is up to your choices in the game. Watching the map, deciding how hard to push (or not), where to go, whom to support. If you always go to B3 to spot, no matter what is happening on the map, and in every tank you own, you won't get a good result very often.

You may be bad, but you are miles ahead in terms of self-awareness relative to Basil, and that self-awareness is the first step in becoming a better player.

_Tsavo #28 Posted Oct 02 2017 - 22:46

Major

• Players
  • 37479 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

View Posttaugrim, on Oct 02 2017 - 16:43, said:

You may be bad, but you are miles ahead in terms of self-awareness relative to Basil, and that self-awareness is the first step in becoming a better player.

Listen to this feller, he's a good one.

Also tagged with Luck, skill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users