Jump to content


PC build question


  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Pump_Jack #1 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 14:06

    Captain

  • Players
  • 9663 battles
  • 1,849
  • [TXV] TXV
  • Member since:
    07-07-2012

I am getting a really nice check in a few week's, first one is back pay over an 8 year period from the VA then a monthly check..

 

I am wanting is to build a PC or have one built that will operate WoT at 60FPS or better and low ping.. 

My Internet is super fast and not an issue

 

I've always played on sub standard PC's, and actually know nothing about building one. 

Does anyone in this community know of a REPUTABLE Shop in the Dallas-Ft Worth area that builds top of the line gaming PC's ?



Harkonen_siegetank #2 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 14:11

    Major

  • Players
  • 27945 battles
  • 5,235
  • [_LOL_] _LOL_
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

With 400 bucks you can get what you want, heck even less than that actually.

 

i5

GTX 1050/1060

8/16 gb ram

500w psu

1TB hdd



Sovereign_m #3 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 14:19

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 25936 battles
  • 311
  • [REL-A] REL-A
  • Member since:
    10-26-2011

first question I always ask: what is your expected budget. 

 

Putting together a PC is actually quite simple. sometimes crapgoes wrong just like with anything electronic, but provided all the parts are good you should be fine. just stick with standard sizes for things. 

 

The parts I propose are as follows WITH prices! 

 

CPU: I7 6700K. it isn't "current gen" but it is very main stream and a very good CPU for the money. ~$340

 

Mobo: ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard ~$119

 

RAM: A set of G Skill Ripjaws 16 GB (In two sticks of 8 GB) @ 3200Mhz DDR4 will run ~$133 for the kit

 

PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 Watt fully Modular PSU (this is a little overkill but you will never have to get another one) $150

 

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1 Terrabyte Solid State Drive. ~$350. This is a bit expensive for an SSD but it will suit your needs just fine as all of your files will go in one place. bonus as these are fast as FK. Your Operating system will boot in 10 seconds flat. 

 

GPU: any GTX 1080 Graphics card. these are top of the line and just dropped like a rock in price since a newer card higher up in the line came out. ~550 OR if you wanna go slightly cheaper, the GTX 1070 is a great alternative. ~$380 for these. 

 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (mid tower case) so it should fit wherever. these are fantastic, easy to work in, and very well designed. Look sharp too. 

 

Buy a copy of windows 10 64 bit home. Need an OS! 

 

Everything else like CD drives and what not you can just get the cheapest whatever and throw it in there. it is up to your needs, but that is the bare minimum.

 

I would pick up a nice 144 Hz HD monitor too for all the money you will be throwing at this thing to see the actual performance your paying for. A new mouse and keyboard may also be in order. Good luck with the Build! and whatever you decide can we has pictures!? Pc builders like this sort of stuff lol. 


Edited by Sovereign_m, Mar 08 2017 - 14:48.


Pump_Jack #4 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 14:21

    Captain

  • Players
  • 9663 battles
  • 1,849
  • [TXV] TXV
  • Member since:
    07-07-2012

View PostSovereign_m, on Mar 08 2017 - 06:19, said:

first question I always ask: what is your expected budget. 

 

 

I will have at my disposal around $87,000 in back pay so the cost for quality is not an issue 

Pump_Jack #5 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 14:25

    Captain

  • Players
  • 9663 battles
  • 1,849
  • [TXV] TXV
  • Member since:
    07-07-2012

View PostHarkonen_siegetank, on Mar 08 2017 - 06:11, said:

With 400 bucks you can get what you want, heck even less than that actually.

 

i5

GTX 1050/1060

8/16 gb ram

500w psu

1TB hdd

 

I am not buying off the shelf from a big box store anymore.. 

Harkonen_siegetank #6 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 14:28

    Major

  • Players
  • 27945 battles
  • 5,235
  • [_LOL_] _LOL_
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

View PostPump_Jack, on Mar 08 2017 - 08:21, said:

 

I will have at my disposal around $87,000 in back pay so the cost for quality is not an issue 

 

Holy excrement! 

 

i7 6900K

32 DDR4

GTX 1080/1080TI/TitanX

700w PSU

256/512 GB NVMe SSD

2TB WD Black

Gsync Display

 

View PostPump_Jack, on Mar 08 2017 - 08:25, said:

 

I am not buying off the shelf from a big box store anymore.. 

 

​What I gave you is a rough setup. How you get it is up to you.

 



Atragon #7 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 14:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 32186 battles
  • 2,277
  • [-_-] -_-
  • Member since:
    04-22-2012
MSI's GTX1050 Ti Gaming is a nice card with nice software that wont wont break the budget or consume lots of power. I love it so far. Played Rise of Tomb Raider pretty well. If you have the money, go for the 1060/1080 and bigger power supply.

ArmorStorm #8 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 14:40

    Major

  • Players
  • 31943 battles
  • 5,936
  • [F__R] F__R
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

View PostPump_Jack, on Mar 08 2017 - 07:25, said:

 

I am not buying off the shelf from a big box store anymore.. 

 

I would still recommend doing so unless you want to learn more about computers.  A  decent pre-built pc plus a gtx 1060 gpu is solid for WoT. 

Sovereign_m #9 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 14:42

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 25936 battles
  • 311
  • [REL-A] REL-A
  • Member since:
    10-26-2011

View PostPump_Jack, on Mar 08 2017 - 08:21, said:

 

I will have at my disposal around $87,000 in back pay so the cost for quality is not an issue 

 

I posted my recommendations for prices above. in my original post as an edit. Good luck! 

Nonamanadus #10 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 14:51

    Captain

  • Players
  • 21328 battles
  • 1,511
  • [HBG] HBG
  • Member since:
    02-02-2013

Budget $3,000 with a good monitor/keyboard and it will last year's for what you will do. Avoid liquid cooling like the plague, SSD for main hard drive and have regular one for photos/music. Also factor in an external drive to back important files up and a fire safe. 

 

Build around a GTX 1080 and have 32 Ram.

 

You can go cheaper but if you want more flexibility that's the way I would go.



Pump_Jack #11 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 15:03

    Captain

  • Players
  • 9663 battles
  • 1,849
  • [TXV] TXV
  • Member since:
    07-07-2012

View PostSovereign_m, on Mar 08 2017 - 06:19, said:

 Good luck with the Build! and whatever you decide can we has pictures!? Pc builders like this sort of stuff lol. 

I doubt I could even start that build alone.. But if I decide to tackle it, I'll post a few pic for ya.

 



Sovereign_m #12 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 15:10

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 25936 battles
  • 311
  • [REL-A] REL-A
  • Member since:
    10-26-2011

View PostPump_Jack, on Mar 08 2017 - 09:03, said:

I doubt I could even start that build alone.. But if I decide to tackle it, I'll post a few pic for ya.

 

 

Ah but you can! 

watch this! same parts! it really isn't as hard as you think. 

 

 

 



Horribad_At_Tanks #13 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 18:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 2264 battles
  • 5,167
  • Member since:
    11-07-2012

View PostSovereign_m, on Mar 08 2017 - 09:10, said:

Ah but you can! 

watch this! same parts! it really isn't as hard as you think. 

 

I'll just add this in to complete the shaming. :trollface:

 

 

So basically unlimited budget paired with my sense of effciency in getting the most bang for the buck.

 

Cheaper than I thought it would be but it literally has it all and can do it all. $4000. :B

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tss2Yr

 

 



Lethalhavoc #14 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 18:35

    Major

  • Players
  • 37926 battles
  • 8,754
  • Member since:
    01-18-2013

Building a system is very easy, it scares first timers. But once you build one, you'll be ready to build more.

 

But if you're not comfortable building one, that's okay too, stay in your comfort level.

Most computer shops will build it for you for around $50. and if you want Windows installed too, it'll cost another $50.


 

So your best choice is to get a parts list and once it all arrives at your house, bring it to the computer shop for them to assemble.

You don't need to go nuts with the biggest, best and most expensive components.


 

Stick with a solid Intel based CPU and a powerful GTX 1060 or higher GPU (I would probably go a 1070) and you'll be set for years of happy gaming.

 

Oh if you're worried about the computer shop ripping you off, just take pictures of all of the components that you've bought.

Then match them up after it's assembled.


Edited by Lethalhavoc, Mar 08 2017 - 18:40.


Horribad_At_Tanks #15 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 20:20

    Major

  • Players
  • 2264 battles
  • 5,167
  • Member since:
    11-07-2012

View PostLethalhavoc, on Mar 08 2017 - 12:35, said:

But if you're not comfortable building one, that's okay too, stay in your comfort level.

Most computer shops will build it for you for around $50. and if you want Windows installed too, it'll cost another $50.


 

Stick with a solid Intel based CPU and a powerful GTX 1060 or higher GPU (I would probably go a 1070) and you'll be set for years of happy gaming.

 

Good advice as most smaller shops will be happy to earn a quick franklin with no worries about warranties or rma etc. Also good general advice for building a solid gaming rig for people without $87k in back pay burning a hole in their pocket.

 

This will game just as well at a lower 1440p resolution as the $4k monster I posted but costs a fraction.

 

$1700 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WKGW6X

 

Or if you need to game on a budget then 1080p is the current sweet spot of price vs performance.

 

$550 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xRrk7h

 

But if you literally are broke as a joke and can't even afford a console then this will do the trick as you can get win10 for free if you can stand a small watermark in the corner of the desktop reminding you it's not registered.

 

$200 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vRDLYr

 

And yes you can game off only the g4560 integrated.

 

 

 



Catatonick #16 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 20:48

    Captain

  • Players
  • 15561 battles
  • 1,203
  • [IDIED] IDIED
  • Member since:
    09-11-2011

You can absolutely build it yourself.  The only thing you want to watch out for is make sure the arrow on the CPU lines up with the dot on the Motherboard.  It should only drop in one way.  Intel is harder to screw up there are no pins on the CPU.  drop it in, pull the little lever down, hook it, put a little thermal paste on the metal thing on the CPU and NOT on the PCB.  A little pea sized amount is enough if your cooler doesn't already have it on it.  When plugging everything in make sure the pins on the power supply cables are right.  For the most part they are impossible to get wrong but I believe the CPU connector can plug into a graphics card and that's... bad... it's easy to tell if they are right just by looking so check before you plug it in. 

 

Other than that, there isn't much that can go wrong.  Watch a few videos and visit PCMasterRace on reddit and give some info and you'll get a full on PC build list in no time.

 

Also forget World of Tanks at 60+ fps.  Aim higher.  WoT will run at 60+ FPS on almost anything modern.

 

I just built this and it straight up caps the FPS in World of Tanks with everything maxed out.

 

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/1235512



ErnieWrecker #17 Posted Mar 10 2017 - 03:05

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 4942 battles
  • 128
  • [AVNGE] AVNGE
  • Member since:
    07-02-2016

View PostPump_Jack, on Mar 08 2017 - 14:06, said:

I am getting a really nice check in a few week's, first one is back pay over an 8 year period from the VA then a monthly check..

 

I am wanting is to build a PC or have one built that will operate WoT at 60FPS or better and low ping..

My Internet is super fast and not an issue

 

I've always played on sub standard PC's, and actually know nothing about building one.

Does anyone in this community know of a REPUTABLE Shop in the Dallas-Ft Worth area that builds top of the line gaming PC's ?

 

Why would you build a desktop around a single game such as WoT? Don't you ever use the computer for other games or productivity?

If all you want it for is just to play WoT on, you can simply get a system that has an i5 quad-core, 8Gb RAM, GTX 1050 graphics card, and a 500Gb SSD(since you won't be putting any other games and such on it, you can go with a smaller + faster SSD instead of a larger + slower mechanical HD). This is more than enough for playing WoT at 1080p. For 1440p, a GTX 1070 will be necessary unless graphics are turned all the way down.

 



Lethalhavoc #18 Posted Mar 10 2017 - 03:11

    Major

  • Players
  • 37926 battles
  • 8,754
  • Member since:
    01-18-2013

View PostErnieWrecker, on Mar 09 2017 - 22:05, said:

 

Why would you build a desktop around a single game such as WoT? Don't you ever use the computer for other games or productivity?

If all you want it for is just to play WoT on, you can simply get a system that has an i5 quad-core, 8Gb RAM, GTX 1050 graphics card, and a 500Gb SSD(since you won't be putting any other games and such on it, you can go with a smaller + faster SSD instead of a larger + slower mechanical HD). This is more than enough for playing WoT at 1080p. For 1440p, a GTX 1070 will be necessary unless graphics are turned all the way down.

 

 

I think a person should build a system that can crush single/dual core usage games like WoT, as there are numerous games like this one the market.

The biggest reason for this is that by extension the same system will be able to crush multi core games just as efficiently.



apollos_343 #19 Posted Mar 10 2017 - 03:24

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 7364 battles
  • 4
  • [GUNS1] GUNS1
  • Member since:
    05-07-2015

If you want to spare no expense and get the best performance for the dollar, here is a ballin build for you:

 

No.|                Part Name              
1. |    AMD Ryzen R7 1800X              
2. |    MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM Motherboard
3. |    CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB ram
4. |    2x AMD RX 480 8GB or a single GTX 1080ti
5. |    WD Blue 2TB HDD
6. |    Plextor M8Pe AIC 512GB NVMe SSD
7. |    be quiet! DARK ROCK PRO 3
8. |    Corsair Graphite Series 780T-W
9. |   CORSAIR RMi Series RM1000i

 

This build list is even color matched!



ErnieWrecker #20 Posted Mar 10 2017 - 03:28

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 4942 battles
  • 128
  • [AVNGE] AVNGE
  • Member since:
    07-02-2016

View PostNonamanadus, on Mar 08 2017 - 14:51, said:

Budget $3,000 with a good monitor/keyboard and it will last year's for what you will do. Avoid liquid cooling like the plague, SSD for main hard drive and have regular one for photos/music. Also factor in an external drive to back important files up and a fire safe.

 

Build around a GTX 1080 and have 32 Ram.

 

You can go cheaper but if you want more flexibility that's the way I would go.

 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with liquid cooling depending on the cooling system you get. If you're someone that can't be bothered to change the coolant every 6 months or so, then you need to get a closed loop maintenance free system like what Corsair makes. Those who do not overclock or simply use the Turbo Boost OC are simply wasting money with liquid cooling. Most of the people I know who have problems with liquid cooling are the ones that use the hardline/copper tubing setups, which is a headache to work with inside a rig. One thing I would never ever do is have a hardline liquid cooling system built and shipped to me. If you do not install the hardline cooling yourself, that's just asking for a disaster, because we all know how rough the scumbags tend to be with our packages during the shipping process.

 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users