Raiders of the Lost Ark

City of God

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Dr. Strangelove

Once Upon A Time In The West

Lawrence of Arabia

Seven Samurai

The Right Stuff

I have only watched 10 of those, but I agree with you on almost all of those being great films.  (I... haven't finished The Godfather...)

FrozenKemp #22 Posted Mar 13 2017 - 13:25

Major

• Players
  • 39527 battles
  • [27PZR] 27PZR

I have a few favourites like Casablanca and Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Princess Bride,  etc but if I had to pick one film these days it would be...

Mad Max: Fury Road 

No, it does not have much plot. That's very simple.

That aside, it looks fantastic and the sheer level of craft involved is ridiculous. They didn't actually drive the cars that fast but it looks like they did.  You see people crawling along the underside of the tanker while doing repairs...  There were wires but not after they used CG to seamlessly erase them.  They made all those crazy cars and trucks and decorated them with the detritus of our world because the idea was that these survivors scavenged whatever they could. 

There's a bunch of physical acting going on and Charleze Theron manages to both look good and kick butt at the same time, even with her head shaved and only one hand.

I've never repeatedly watched a film lots of times like the girls did with Titanic when it came out.  Well... Until Fury Road. I've probably watched it 6 times now including one showing of it in black and white at a small theatre here.

Klaatu_Nicto #23 Posted Mar 13 2017 - 21:20

Major

• Players
  • 43864 battles

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto, Mar 13 2017 - 21:26.

Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD #24 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 12:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 13567 battles

as for recent movies Dredd was pretty good.

I think we're on the verge of a great new decade of creativity and proper filmmaking and when I say that I don't mean dramatic movies only that aren't really creative.  People complain about Comic book movies but they don't really bother me at all.  Actually I think with the success of Deadpool and Logan it is more likely that comic book movies can be treated seriously and not disposable nonsense.  Kind of sad that comics themselves have gone downhill but hey the movies are good.

Now what I don't like are the Star Wars movies or really any of those movies that try too hard to pander to neckbeards with no opinions of their own.  No I don't think your tranny granny donkey lover Jedi is transgressive and bold I think it's stupid and not compelling at all.  Another thing I don't get is who actually grew up with Star Wars?  I mean the movies were good but I grew up with post-Star Wars movies which were technically better.  Still you can't just slap Terminator or Predator on a movie title and expect me to love it.  Those last few Terminator movies sucked!  One of the reasons I like Dredd so much is that they got the style of the 80's and 90's movies without being pandering or derivative. 

Iron_Soul_Stealer #25 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 05:31

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

View Postzed2204, on Mar 13 2017 - 02:48, said:

Yes 

Second choice

The Thing

Yep, I loved that movie.

The 80's version with Kurt Russel is by far the best, but I did like the original 1951 film, too. I did not, however, like the latest 2011 prequel-version, though. I thought it was terrible.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #26 Posted Mar 27 2017 - 00:58

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

Here's another personal favourite of mine. I almost forgot to add this one.

Our little clan just watched this movie a few weeks ago on family day...and I highly recommend it.

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

Ewan_Wutarmee #27 Posted Mar 27 2017 - 01:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 18148 battles
  • [_USMC] _USMC

View PostNL_Celt, on Mar 12 2017 - 19:36, said:

Quest for the Holy Grail. Shouldn't have to explain why.

​Life of Brian..

"Wolf Nipple chips.. Get your Wolf Nipple chips here..."

Ewan_Wutarmee #28 Posted Mar 27 2017 - 02:38

Corporal

• Players
  • 18148 battles
  • [_USMC] _USMC

Sands of Iwo Jima:  As a Marine Corps veteran, what's not to like? Iwo Jima, Marines kicking *ss, and John Wayne

The Eagle has Landed: First movie (As far as I know) to show a realistic grenade explosion..

Deadpool:  Dry humor, gratuitous violence..

The Patriot:  Founding of America history is of special interest to me, this is a great story.

Saving Private Ryan: The scene where the German slowly plunges the knife into the American soldier is powerful and sobering..

Fury:  Tanks.. Just Tanks.. Brad Pitt is a hack.. but TANKS!!!

Wanted:  Angelina Jolie and curving bullets... Why not?

The Mechanic Movies:  Jason Statham.. Cool premise..

Klaatu_Nicto #29 Posted Mar 29 2017 - 18:21

Major

• Players
  • 43864 battles

Iron_Soul_Stealer #30 Posted Apr 02 2017 - 01:13

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

I really liked the film Sully.

I don't want to give too much away, in case you haven't watched it yet, but it's about a pilot that experiences a serious engine malfunction, and believes, to the best of his knowledge, that the safest course of action {and only option} is to land on the Hudson River. He is hailed as a hero, because no one was killed in the incident, however, a certain group of people embark on a crusade to prove, in perfect 20/20 hindsight {of course}, that Captain Sully was wrong for landing on the river...and that he should have returned back to the airport and landed there. They use a wonderful array of computer models and simulations, as well as facts and evidence to prove Capt Sully "wrong". Like I said, I won't be a spoiler, so I will let you watch the film, and then decide for yourself what you believe. 

Furthermore, on that very interesting subject of beliefs...

I've noticed, lately, that there seems to be this growing and disturbing trend towards changing and altering the very concept and meaning the words opinion and belief. And I think I know why. 

There is this strange breed out there who believe that if they can prove someone wrong at every level {including their personal opinions & beliefs}, then they somehow "'win"....and become "morally superior". This crusade 'growing movement' of 'proving someones opinion wrong' is a very elitist notion..and a dangerous path towards moral superiority. And as history has shown us many, many times, that usually does not end well. 

Spoiler

zed2204 #31 Posted Apr 03 2017 - 08:17

Captain

• -Players-
  • 32637 battles
  • [LIO] LIO

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Mar 18 2017 - 05:31, said:

Yep, I loved that movie.

The 80's version with Kurt Russel is by far the best, but I did like the original 1951 film, too. I did not, however, like the latest 2011 prequel-version, though. I thought it was terrible.

I don't think it was terrible, of course it wasn't on the level of John Carpenter's​ version but I liked it wasn't a reboot/remake, it had many flaws but it was still enjoyable

Compared to the Alien 3-4 it was far less disappointing

Herr_Klug #32 Posted Apr 03 2017 - 14:29

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 41779 battles
Star Wars (don't give me that New Hope crap), I was 8 when it was in the theater .... the perfect age.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #33 Posted Apr 06 2017 - 00:39

Major

• Players
  • 2907 battles

View Postzed2204, on Apr 03 2017 - 02:17, said:

I don't think it was terrible, of course it wasn't on the level of John Carpenter's​ version but I liked it wasn't a reboot/remake, it had many flaws but it was still enjoyable

Compared to the Alien 3-4 it was far less disappointing

That reminds me...

I know a lot of people didn't like the Alien vs. Predator spin off, but I didn't mind them. I thought they were alright. Anything to avoid watching another sig weaver flic is fine with me. 

And I'm looking forward to watching Arrival. Still haven't seen it yet.

Anyone watch this yet..?

zed2204 #34 Posted Apr 06 2017 - 07:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 32637 battles
  • [LIO] LIO

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Apr 06 2017 - 00:39, said:

That reminds me...

I know a lot of people didn't like the Alien vs. Predator spin off, but I didn't mind them. I thought they were alright. Anything to avoid watching another sig weaver flic is fine with me. 

The first one was fine, quite enjoyable, it had some awesome moments especially where 1 xenomorph wasted the 2 predators, the qween battle and the scene where the predators get overrun on top of the piramid, the film was good and didn't mess with the story in any way

But the second ,wow, that was some low budget second rate script where the guy with the axe got replaced by the Alien, it was horribly shot, ultra dark, bad characters, bad story

And the Aliens - why they picked the Cameron aliens I can't understand and made them even worse, not to mention meddling with the life cycle

ElwoodP #35 Posted Apr 06 2017 - 13:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11801 battles

1. "Harvey" with Jimmy Stewart. My all time favorite. Gets better every time you watch it.

2. "Pimpernel Smith" Leslie Howard wrote this in 1941 exposing some of Hitler's nasty ways long before the general population knew. His civilian passenger airliner was "accidentally" shot down by some me109s while he was on tour promoting the movie. They were only 140 miles out of there patrol zone...

3. "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", 42.

FrozenKemp #36 Posted Apr 06 2017 - 17:45

Major

• Players
  • 39527 battles
  • [27PZR] 27PZR

Just watched Harvey on Netflix last weekend :)

I saw Arrival... in January?  I forget.  It's really good.  

RandomlyGeneratedNPC #37 Posted Apr 07 2017 - 00:03

• 2664 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

A Clockwork Orange

Mirrormask

Inception

Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind - really good Jim Carey film

Reign over me - One of those films where Adam Sandler doesn't make me cringe while watching 

Klaatu_Nicto #38 Posted Apr 07 2017 - 02:54

Major

• Players
  • 43864 battles

View PostRandomlyGeneratedNPC, on Apr 06 2017 - 15:03, said:

Reign over me - One of those films where Adam Sandler doesn't make me cringe while watching 

That was a really good movie. Sandler surprised me with his performance.

GarlicFries #39 Posted Apr 07 2017 - 02:59

Major

• Players
  • 20149 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

why? I bet you know why.

mattwong #40 Posted Apr 07 2017 - 15:08

Major

• Players
  • 30234 battles

View PostRandomlyGeneratedNPC, on Apr 06 2017 - 18:03, said:

I haven't seen it.  I adopted a "No Adam Sandler" policy many years ago, because I despise his on-screen persona so much.  Every one of his characters tends to follow the same arc:

Beginning of movie: self-absorbed, inconsiderate moron with no real goals in life

Middle of movie: self-absorbed, inconsiderate moron who develops a goal in  life

End of movie: slightly less self-absorbed, inconsiderate moron

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users