Posted Mar 13 2017 - 19:30
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 19:31
google "world of tank ghost shells". thats how.
The problem is not the servers nor the clients, it's actually a BigWorld engine fault process that begins when the server fails to calculate a penetration value. In layman terms, here's the process (missing a few filler elements such as shell travel time, tank velocity, gun arc, type of shells, etc etc etc. for the sake of simplicity):
- client is driving
- server receives the "drive command" replies back "you are now driving" and sometime later it determines there is an enemy tank in sight that the client can see, so it sends the data back saying "you have a tank in sight"
- client now sees enemy tank
- server acknowledges the tank is there and all the aiming mechanics occur
- client shoots at tank
- server acknowledges the client has shot and triggers the reload timer for the client while also processing the penetration value of the shell, angle, RNG (+/-25%), area to damage and determines, if theres a penetration/ricochet or damage to any internal modules (shoot commander's hatch, driver dies! *trollface*) or (shoot driver's compartment, suddenly tank gets tracks damage *trollface v2*) (Insider: actually this is explained by ricochets inside the tank, but ill leave it at that).
- Bigworld engine which is running along the streamline of the server fails to process the client request and delivers a "null"
- Server: hey, but I just sent the data!
- Bigworld: yes and I say it's null, now obey!
- Server: ??? okay ._.
Server sends the ping back with null value: "lel, tank wasn't there". Client displays a ghost shell event in return.
Edited by Hurk, Mar 13 2017 - 19:33.
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 19:32
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 19:32
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 19:35
because the world server is still a separate process and it still fails to calculate a value in time occasionally.
every 1 in 1,000,000 times that happens, its just not a big deal... heck, there is a good chance it happens on a shell that didnt matter anyway. (like idiots shooting at the start of a battle)
also... its not a "client" problem. thus, no change.
Edited by Hurk, Mar 13 2017 - 19:36.
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 19:36
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 19:58
While Hurk has done an excellent job of explaining ghost shells, I think in this instance this isn't a ghost shell (at least not in the typical sense).
This is a known issue especially on the backs of German TD's where your gun barrel goes entirely inside of the other tank. Since the game looks at penetrations occurring when a shell penetrates the armor, and in these cases no shell is going through the armor since it's actually originating inside of the tank, the game doesn't recognize the shot as having ever hit anything.
This happens more commonly on German TD's because people flank them regularly, and when they get to the rear they find a big flat rear end that when they push up against it it causes the entire gun to go inside of that tank.
One's entire gun must be inside the enemy tank for this to occur because the game considers shots as originating at the very beginning of the barrel not the end.
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 20:04
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 20:05
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 20:08
They tried doing it that way in earliest testing period.... it didn't work well at all, that's why the barrel is not a solid object.
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 20:22
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 20:32
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 20:49
That's is a noob making me laugh
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 21:13
WHY?! Ghost shells were existing in 8.x clients and still isnt fixed?
it is working as program, just another way for WG to insure which team wins. I have at least 50 to 60 ghost shots a day. JUst spend more money and kiss their butts a little harder, ]]
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 21:15
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 21:26
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 21:43
It's a problem with the German Tank Destroyers - You cannot actually do any damage to the rear of their vehicles while face-hugging their booties if your barrel is going through their tank.
This is not a problem with any other kind of tank in my experience; most often a problem with German Tank Destroyers. They broke it a while back during a patch that was not even related to the German TD's, yet they still managed to mess it up.
The Jg.Pz. E-100 is the most infamous example of this issue, but it can and will occur with other German TD's as well.
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 21:57
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 21:58
It's been a joke. I keep jamming my keyboard when my tank turns excessively or keeps driving after i've let off the button. Let alone the firing delay and ghost shells...
Posted Mar 13 2017 - 22:00
Yes. We tested the Germany TD glitch in the training room. Your actually lucky it even fired. Some tanks won't even fire if the mantle is pressed into the back of the Germans. It's because of the flat and sometime back sloped rear armor. TD players know this, that's why he backed you up a slope.
Also tagged with bugs, fix, this
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users