Need advice on Mac ...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Isola_di_Fano #1 Posted Mar 13 2017 - 21:11

Major

• Players
  • 17676 battles

My old iMac died 2 months ago: I used to play WoT on bootcamp with the good old XP.

I'd like to stay with Apple as my photo library is quite huge and I am familiar with the Photo app and the iPhotLibray app.

However spending $1650 CAD for a new decent Mac .... mehhh nope!

I was thinking about getting the Mac mini, the middle one at $849 CAD  http://www.apple.com/ca/mac-mini/specs

Specs seems enough to play WoT, do you think I would get 40+ FPS on that thing ?

Is the Mac wrapper efficient ? What about that Intel Iris Graphics ?

Not a tech guy at all ...

I might go PC as I am also familiar with windows 10 and don't have issues with it, I'd be missing iPhoto but ...

Could be an all-in-one or a tower, doesn't really matter.

Anything under $1000 CAD, any suggestions ?

And I can't build one either, just too dumb and ignorant to do that !

Thanks for the help.

Azriella #2 Posted Mar 13 2017 - 21:21

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1955 battles
  • [-D1G-] -D1G-

Hey there, there's now a Mac wrapper for WoT so running via Boot Camp is no longer necessary.  If you plan on staying with a Mac, I'm not sure a Mac Mini would be able to run the game steadily in the near future due to the graphical update that is planned.  Realistically, it would require a computer with a dedicated GPU most likely if the video trailers are actual gameplay.  

As far as a PC, I think you could buy an All-In-One PC with a good processor for between $400 and $700.  Most of those however, do not have a dedicated graphics card when they're under $1000 unless they're on sale or an older model.  I would reccomend getting any computer that has a 3.2 GHz processor or better with 4 or more cores.  As long as it's a full tower or mini ATX case it should accomate an upgrade to the graphics card which is very simple.  Take for example a cheaper card such as mine which is an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Superclocked with 2 GB VRAM would run you about $130.  (Bonus to this card, you won't need a new power supply which makes things more complicated and more like building a computer.  The card can run on a standard 300 watt power supply.  Literally all you'd need to do is drop it into the case in the proper PCIe slot on your motherboard, plug in your monitor to the card, install drivers and you're done.  Not much building involved.  ;)

If you have any more questions, feel free to talk to me here or in a private message.  :)

EDIT: As far as your iPhoto library, if you have an external hard drive or a large flash drive you can right click on the library file on any Mac (maybe borrow one from a friend for a couple hours) and "VIew Contents", you can copy all your photos into a format readable by a PC and therefore would no longer have the need for iPhoto or the new Photos app by Apple.

Edited by Azriella, Mar 13 2017 - 21:23.

Fodder_2016 #3 Posted Mar 13 2017 - 21:48

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9637 battles

http://www.laptopmag...iles-windows-pc

If you're not using FCP-X then there's no need for Apple hardware anymore. It's too expensive for the performance you get, and it's largely non-upgradeable.  I say this as an iMac owner.  I use the wrapper and the i5 does okay with WoT, but it really cooks the CPU, forcing me to install a third party temp/fan controller to keep everything at 120F.

Isola_di_Fano #4 Posted Mar 13 2017 - 22:04

Major

• Players
  • 17676 battles

Thank you for the infos.

Pictures are saved (Thank God) on a very old Macbook but transferring all 40k of them and re-creating albums and so on ...ARG !!! but ...

Azriella:

Honestly I would not even be able to recognize what a graphic card looks like (not exagerating much here ...) so, how about something like this maybe:

http://www.staples.ca/en/ASUS-M32BF-RS1-CB-Desktop-Computer-3-9GHz-AMD-A10-7800-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-Windows-10/product_2075131_2-CA_1_20001

or maybe

http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Pavilion-24-B019-AMD-A10-9630P-All-in-One-Desktop-Computer-1TB-7200-RPM-SATA-8GB-DDR4-Win-10/product_2401022_1-CA_1_20001

processor and specs from what I can see seems fine, maybe a bit slower on the HP but it is a all-in-one

And 1 last stupid question maybe: does the brand name really makes a difference nowadays ?

If so, would you recommend Asus, Acer, Lenovo or HP  ?

Thanks

Edited by Isola_di_Fano, Mar 13 2017 - 22:05.

enjineer #5 Posted Mar 13 2017 - 23:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 40671 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostAzriella, on Mar 13 2017 - 15:21, said:

Hey there, there's now a Mac wrapper for WoT so running via Boot Camp is no longer necessary.  If you plan on staying with a Mac, I'm not sure a Mac Mini would be able to run the game steadily in the near future due to the graphical update that is planned.  Realistically, it would require a computer with a dedicated GPU most likely if the video trailers are actual gameplay.  

As far as a PC, I think you could buy an All-In-One PC with a good processor for between $400 and $700.  Most of those however, do not have a dedicated graphics card when they're under $1000 unless they're on sale or an older model.  I would reccomend getting any computer that has a 3.2 GHz processor or better with 4 or more cores.  As long as it's a full tower or mini ATX case it should accomate an upgrade to the graphics card which is very simple.  Take for example a cheaper card such as mine which is an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Superclocked with 2 GB VRAM would run you about $130.  (Bonus to this card, you won't need a new power supply which makes things more complicated and more like building a computer.  The card can run on a standard 300 watt power supply.  Literally all you'd need to do is drop it into the case in the proper PCIe slot on your motherboard, plug in your monitor to the card, install drivers and you're done.  Not much building involved.  ;)

If you have any more questions, feel free to talk to me here or in a private message.  :)

EDIT: As far as your iPhoto library, if you have an external hard drive or a large flash drive you can right click on the library file on any Mac (maybe borrow one from a friend for a couple hours) and "VIew Contents", you can copy all your photos into a format readable by a PC and therefore would no longer have the need for iPhoto or the new Photos app by Apple.

All-in-Ones are generally crap for gaming.

dstud208 #6 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 15:34

Captain

• Players
  • 17741 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO

View PostIsola_di_Fano, on Mar 13 2017 - 14:04, said:

Thank you for the infos.

Pictures are saved (Thank God) on a very old Macbook but transferring all 40k of them and re-creating albums and so on ...ARG !!! but ...

Azriella:

Honestly I would not even be able to recognize what a graphic card looks like (not exagerating much here ...) so, how about something like this maybe:

http://www.staples.ca/en/ASUS-M32BF-RS1-CB-Desktop-Computer-3-9GHz-AMD-A10-7800-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-Windows-10/product_2075131_2-CA_1_20001

or maybe

http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Pavilion-24-B019-AMD-A10-9630P-All-in-One-Desktop-Computer-1TB-7200-RPM-SATA-8GB-DDR4-Win-10/product_2401022_1-CA_1_20001

processor and specs from what I can see seems fine, maybe a bit slower on the HP but it is a all-in-one

And 1 last stupid question maybe: does the brand name really makes a difference nowadays ?

Thanks

The first tower you posted would be good, or something like this:

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Ultra GUA3120A w/ AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz CPU, 8GB DDR3, AMD R7 250 2GB, 1TB HDD, 24X DVD+-RW & Win 10 Home 64-Bit Desktop Gaming PC https://www.amazon.c...i_y2.XybFKCV4W3

Its about $500 USD

It could play on medium to high settings at 45-60 fps. Significantly better than the Mac mini. Especially since the latest Mac mini update was in 2013 or something, so it's seriously behind as far as raw power is concerned. The mini I would say would struggle even on the lowest settings.

dstud208 #7 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 15:38

Captain

• Players
  • 17741 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO
Here's the Canadian one, $680 CAD

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Ultra GUA3122ACA w/ AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz CPU, 8GB DDR3, AMD R7 250 2GB, 1TB HDD, 24X DVD+-RW & Win 10 Home 64-Bit Desktop Gaming PC https://www.amazon.c...i_9aaYyb7GFCFYC

ISNomads #8 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 16:10

Captain

• Players
  • 25601 battles
  • [WHAMO] WHAMO
Avoid HP. I worked there for 5 years and have owned some of their products and I have no confidence in their products. The HP computers they gave me for work always had issues and they once replaced one of those with a refurbished computer and when I got it, it has cat hair in the fan.

Isola_di_Fano #9 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 17:25

Major

• Players
  • 17676 battles

View Postdstud208, on Mar 14 2017 - 09:38, said:

Here's the Canadian one, $680 CAD

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Ultra GUA3122ACA w/ AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz CPU, 8GB DDR3, AMD R7 250 2GB, 1TB HDD, 24X DVD+-RW & Win 10 Home 64-Bit Desktop Gaming PC https://www.amazon.c...i_9aaYyb7GFCFYC

Looking good.

As previously said I am not tech oriented, so much so that I will choose a car based on the looks and color.

This PC has a red glass: SOLD !!!

Jokes aside ... those specs are looking pretty good, thanks.

And it seems they have the exact same one at the store across the street

:)

dstud208 #10 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 19:07

Captain

• Players
  • 17741 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO
Oh that's even better than!

Azriella #11 Posted Mar 15 2017 - 00:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1955 battles
  • [-D1G-] -D1G-

View PostIsola_di_Fano, on Mar 13 2017 - 13:04, said:

Thank you for the infos.

Azriella:

or maybe

Thanks

I'm not entirely sure about the compatibility between AMD processors and Nvidia graphics cards to be honest.  I haven't brushed up on that but generally I'd pair an AMD processor with a Radeon graphics card.  Maybe someone can confirm or deny this for me please.  :)

Regardless, some of the gaming PC's that come already built are a good option as well.  I've seen people post a few good ones above my post.   You can also browse the iBUYPOWER website.  They make some pretty cool custom gaming computers to your specifications and price points.  :3

black_colt #12 Posted Mar 15 2017 - 01:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3359 battles

View PostIsola_di_Fano, on Mar 13 2017 - 12:11, said:

My old iMac died 2 months ago: I used to play WoT on bootcamp with the good old XP.

I'd like to stay with Apple as my photo library is quite huge and I am familiar with the Photo app and the iPhotLibray app.

However spending $1650 CAD for a new decent Mac .... mehhh nope!

I was thinking about getting the Mac mini, the middle one at $849 CAD  http://www.apple.com/ca/mac-mini/specs

Specs seems enough to play WoT, do you think I would get 40+ FPS on that thing ?

Is the Mac wrapper efficient ? What about that Intel Iris Graphics ?

Not a tech guy at all ...

I might go PC as I am also familiar with windows 10 and don't have issues with it, I'd be missing iPhoto but ...

Could be an all-in-one or a tower, doesn't really matter.

Anything under $1000 CAD, any suggestions ?

And I can't build one either, just too dumb and ignorant to do that !

Thanks for the help.

View PostAzriella, on Mar 13 2017 - 12:21, said:

Isola_di_Fano,

Azriella is correct - it is best to run the WoT Mac Wrapper on a Mac [Apple-branded Intel-based hardware running OS X] that has a dedicated GPU.  The Mac Mini will not be a good choice.

If all you are using the [new] hardware for is to play World of Tanks and you have a budget of 750 USD - then a modular [separate case and monitor] PC hardware [Intel-based hardware with MS Windows] is probably the way to go.

Not sure if you will be able to leverage your copy of MS Windows XP though ... so you may have to use MS Windows 10 [and those of you that run MS Windows exclusively can correct me if I am wrong]

Actually an easier way is to attach a exFAT formatted external drive to your Mac [OS X has full read/write support for exFAT], launch Photos, select all the photos, and then select [File][Export] and then [Export Unmodified Original for XXX photos] and then point to the external drive.  This may take awhile depending on the type of connection being used - USB 2 is very slow.  You may need to break up the export depending on the size of the external drive and how many photos you have.

IIRC exFAT is supported by almost all versions of MS Windows [support for MS Windows XP and Vista where added via updates] so you can then import the photos into the app of your choice on the PC hardware.

If you want to write to an NTFS formatted external drive then you will need to obtain third-party software as OS X only has read support for NTFS [there is a way to turn on write support for NTFS in OS X but it requires the use of several Terminal commands - the exact procedure escapes me].

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users