Does trash slur make one feel professional?

rage racism homophobia stupid people raeg

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic

Thylacoleo #1 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 07:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 9187 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

"go suck <insert nationality here> di**"

"omg tiger ur a fgt"

"stupid aussie, ur all [edited]bcuz u won't help me"

Etc etc.

Makes me wonder what it is about this game that elicits such racial/homophobic/sexist slurs. The rage is obvious, clearly - I get it, no one likes losing. But even when we are winning the battle, I've seen people throw these slurs around like it's a food fight. The other day I was playing a game and it was going generally well. Of course, as stated in one of the examples above, somebody started making slurs at someone in our team who was clearly an Australian (as it was in their name). It was an SPG and they did a pretty good amount of damage, but then some idiot decided to charge in and tell the SPG to help them fire at an enemy that he clearly shouldn't have confronted directly. Sure enough, the SPG was in the middle of a reload and the dude started flipping out at him, throwing racial slurs at them because he wasn't firing (even though it was clearly stated they were reloading. Well, the guy died, lol. And yet we won anyway. It was a good match.

I confronted the dude asking what his problem was and pointed out that we obviously won and he replied: "go suck aussie [edited], [edited]. there all [edited]nd so r u" Naturally, I went ahead and congratulated the SPG for scoring a high damage count in the battle and just ignored the other dude afterwards. What is it with this game that elicits people to act like this? Win or lose, people seem to not give half a care about the things they say or how wrong it actually is to say craplike that - and unless they were truly racist/sexist/homophobic/whatever I doubt they would say anything like that to someone's face. And no, this is not restricted to just aussies. I've seen it toward other people, too, regardless of who the said person actually is. When things go wrong for someone in this stupid game, does cussing someone out and pinning blame on someone else make them feel professional or hardcore or what it is? Do people think it makes them look cool to say stuff like that to other users? Yes, it's acompetitive online game. There is going to be trash talk and salt, but are the slurs really necessary? Does one really need to act racist or whatever just to dis somebody else?

And it's also kind of odd that even though these kinds of remarks are not allowed on the forums, they are allowed in-game. Or perhaps maybe it's not that they aren't "allowed" but rather just hard to moderate. -shrug- Is that stuff actually allowed in game or no? Is it reportable?

Edited by Thylacoleo, Mar 14 2017 - 08:57.

Allegra #2 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 07:56

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 8142 battles
  • [W-S] W-S

People 'dis Aussies?

Them's fighting words!

I've reported people in chat before - not because of the issues you have raised but due racist overtones.

Normally to the people you refer to, I merely say FO.

Cheers

Guilty_By_Association_xD #3 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 08:16

Captain

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 45026 battles
  • [RUSHB] RUSHB

Its an online multiplayer game. This is normal, salt and roasting. If you get triggered by it maybe interacting with other people online is not for you. If I want to call some teal trash after he yolos me and loses all his hp to shoot me once, why not? This is a competitive game after all, were all in it to win, some people not so much. Why do you care about being professional, you dont play this game professionally. 

I miss all chat

Simpletun #4 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 08:25

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7073 battles

View PostPompous_Magnus, on Mar 13 2017 - 23:16, said:

Its an online multiplayer game. This is normal, salt and roasting. If you get triggered by it maybe interacting with other people online is not for you. If I want to call some teal trash after he yolos me and loses all his hp to shoot me once, why not? This is a competitive game after all, were all in it to win, some people not so much. Why do you care about being professional, you dont play this game professionally. 

I miss all chat

Go stream so I have something to do

And yes all chat needs to make its return, with a option to disable enemy team chat.

How else are we gonna give "props" to the enemy arty for good shots?

Captain_Rownd #5 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 08:31

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1790 battles

It's sad, but at least it helps remind you how fundamentally awful a lot of people out there really are.

Helmz #6 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 08:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7377 battles
Where ever there is competition there is stress.  Some cope better than others to losing.  WOT is pretty tame compared to where I came from.

Red_Ensign #7 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 09:01

Major

• Players
  • 6760 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

if you're playing with a buddy, you can call him an idiot sometimes and it's fine.  I consider that acceptable with strangers too, because you're treating them no worse than a buddy who screws up.

the stuff you're describing... just no.  I don't know if reporting does anything, but if it doesn't it should.  there's no excuse to be a C*nt in-game.

TheSeventhSeeker #8 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 09:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8 battles
  • [KUMA] KUMA
Yeah welcome to tanks, WG stopped reviewing the majority of chat reports in mid-2013 or so and instead of hiring more moderators they just removed all chat.

Edited by TheSeventhSeeker, Mar 14 2017 - 09:11.

ImApollo #9 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 09:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8104 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostThylacoleo, on Mar 13 2017 - 22:45, said:

"go suck <insert nationality here> di**"

"omg tiger ur a fgt"

"stupid aussie, ur all [edited]bcuz u won't help me"

Etc etc.

Makes me wonder what it is about this game that elicits such racial/homophobic/sexist slurs. The rage is obvious, clearly - I get it, no one likes losing. But even when we are winning the battle, I've seen people throw these slurs around like it's a food fight. The other day I was playing a game and it was going generally well. Of course, as stated in one of the examples above, somebody started making slurs at someone in our team who was clearly an Australian (as it was in their name). It was an SPG and they did a pretty good amount of damage, but then some idiot decided to charge in and tell the SPG to help them fire at an enemy that he clearly shouldn't have confronted directly. Sure enough, the SPG was in the middle of a reload and the dude started flipping out at him, throwing racial slurs at them because he wasn't firing (even though it was clearly stated they were reloading. Well, the guy died, lol. And yet we won anyway. It was a good match.

I confronted the dude asking what his problem was and pointed out that we obviously won and he replied: "go suck aussie [edited], [edited]. there all [edited]nd so r u" Naturally, I went ahead and congratulated the SPG for scoring a high damage count in the battle and just ignored the other dude afterwards. What is it with this game that elicits people to act like this? Win or lose, people seem to not give half a care about the things they say or how wrong it actually is to say craplike that - and unless they were truly racist/sexist/homophobic/whatever I doubt they would say anything like that to someone's face. And no, this is not restricted to just aussies. I've seen it toward other people, too, regardless of who the said person actually is. When things go wrong for someone in this stupid game, does cussing someone out and pinning blame on someone else make them feel professional or hardcore or what it is? Do people think it makes them look cool to say stuff like that to other users? Yes, it's acompetitive online game. There is going to be trash talk and salt, but are the slurs really necessary? Does one really need to act racist or whatever just to dis somebody else?

And it's also kind of odd that even though these kinds of remarks are not allowed on the forums, they are allowed in-game. Or perhaps maybe it's not that they aren't "allowed" but rather just hard to moderate. -shrug- Is that stuff actually allowed in game or no? Is it reportable?

They do it to get you to write a paragraph on the forums like you are right now. If you are too depressed over someone saying mean things then the Internet is not the right place for you...

Pipinghot #10 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 09:26

Major

• Players
  • 25838 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostThylacoleo, on Mar 14 2017 - 01:45, said:

Makes me wonder what it is about this game that elicits such racial/homophobic/sexist slurs.

It has nothing to do with "this game", it's every online PvP game. Some games have slightly less (like League of Legends), and I am in no way making excuses for bad behavior in any game, but if you think it's somehow unique to this game then you need to spend some time playing First Person Shooters, pretty much every FPS has always been as bad as WoT.

Thylacoleo #11 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 09:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 9187 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostImApollo, on Mar 14 2017 - 00:19, said:

They do it to get you to write a paragraph on the forums like you are right now. If you are too depressed over someone saying mean things then the Internet is not the right place for you...

You and one other person mentioned this and you seem to think I am 'sad' or 'depressed' about that kind of talk on the internet. I am well aware that this is the internet and that anything can really be said without reprecussion. However, you are misunderstanding my intentions of making this post. Truth be told, I shake my head at these people. I will admit: it does somewhat peeve me. They are ignorant and silly at best. But there is nothing I can do about it nor am I going to cry about it. The whole reason for this post was to strike a conversation and "dissect" the inner intentions behind said people. It is because I am curious about why people feel obligated to say things like that and wanted to see if anyone else here would like to casually discuss with me what it is about these people and what goes through their heads when they say these kinds of things. That and this doesn't seem like a subject much discussed so I decided to bring it up for [edited]and giggles and see what happens.

I apologize for the misunderstanding. Hopefully that clears things up.

Dhizi #12 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 09:29

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4276 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

People spout the most illogical things when they are angry. Especially when under the confidentiality of the internet that protects them from -- what in real life, would have reasonable repercussions. Since they -- children, can get away with it, they do it.

As far as ones who sling racism, sex/sexual-based remarks, or nation-based remarks...Blacklist, send the replay in a ticket to WG, and they'll most likely receive a chat-ban for a good duration of time, since their mother wasn't wise enough to smack the stupid outta em' when they came from the womb.

There isn't any excuse for those types of remarks, and they are punished -- i've received..5? If I remember correctly, private messages from those i've reported for horrid 'jokes' and language about how they were 'going to get payback for reporting them for freedom of speech'. Sorry, freedom of speech =/= freedom of ignorance. I'll happily continue on getting those who deserve it chat-banned. One person actually messaged me with a thanks since I'd talked some sense into him since he was throwing around slanderous speech at the enemy in..Well, calling every enemy the N-word because they're the enemy? He'd gotten a 48 hour chat-ban duration and told me that he'd try to control his temper from that point on..I'd just hope he does it for his sake, not mine.

People just need to be good to others. Simple as that.

Dhizi #13 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 09:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4276 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostThylacoleo, on Mar 14 2017 - 03:28, said:

You and one other person mentioned this and you seem to think I am 'sad' or 'depressed' about that kind of talk on the internet. I am well aware that this is the internet and that anything can really be said without reprecussion. However, you are misunderstanding my intentions of making this post. Truth be told, I shake my head at these people. I will admit: it does somewhat peeve me. They are ignorant and silly at best. But there is nothing I can do about it nor am I going to cry about it. The whole reason for this post was to strike a conversation and "dissect" the inner intentions behind said people. It is because I am curious about why people feel obligated to say things like that and wanted to see if anyone else here would like to casually discuss with me what it is about these people and what goes through their heads when they say these kinds of things. That and this doesn't seem like a subject much discussed so I decided to bring it up for [edited]and giggles and see what happens.

I apologize for the misunderstanding. Hopefully that clears things up.

TL;DR

If you didn't read my last comment, it's summed up to a simple line.

They do it because they have a 'impunity' from physical criticism. Since they're not in the public eye, no-one knows who they are..They do it because they can get away with it. Just like any younger kid who says a naughty word when his parents aren't around, but immediately locks up and doesn't say one thing close to a cuss word because a authority figure is near..They're simply called ignorant children.

Edited by Dhizi, Mar 14 2017 - 09:46.

Thylacoleo #14 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 09:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 9187 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostPipinghot, on Mar 14 2017 - 00:26, said:

It has nothing to do with "this game", it's every online PvP game. Some games have slightly less (like League of Legends), and I am in no way making excuses for bad behavior in any game, but if you think it's somehow unique to this game then you need to spend some time playing First Person Shooters, pretty much every FPS has always been as bad as WoT.

I don't play many FPS games, unless you count ARK as one. People have mentioned before that Steam games are pretty bad, but so far I haven't seen it bad quite like this in WoT. And even in World of Warcraft, the community seems really laid back there. Yes, I have seen people misbehave and throw around slurs, but it's never common. Both in retail and even private servers in WoW.

But so far in my observations, F2P games seem to have the worst communities. Years back when I played Bigpoint's crappy browser games, you got some pretty nasty people there, too. And so far I have noticed this kind of attitude mostly in F2P/P2W games, but that could just be a coincidence.

PunCzarBlintz #15 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 11:25

Major

• Players
  • 69608 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
Some people never grow up past adolescents.

Harkonen_siegetank #16 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 11:41

Major

• Players
  • 27963 battles
  • [_LOL_] _LOL_
People seem to forget the art of trash talking.

MaceDinDuNuffin #17 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 11:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24378 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0
Does being a furry make you feel special?

madgiecool #18 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 11:51

Major

• Players
  • 47797 battles
  • [4NZAB] 4NZAB

I recall a player being rude and offensive (nothing new here) and then stating he was a 50yo Vet and didn't give a stuff.

Well newsflash, what has your previous job got to do with being rude and offensive?

:hiding:

NK_33 #19 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 11:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 17221 battles

Plato discussed this phenomenon, no I'm not kidding: https://en.wikipedia...i/Ring_of_Gyges

Block Quote

Through the story of the ring, Republic considers whether an intelligent person would be moral if he did not have to fear being caught and punished for doing injustices.

The internet is the Ring of Gyges made manifest, do people have to be moral if there is no punishment?  Team Killing, abusing physics, extremely harsh language are punished, but insults are not.  It speaks well that freed of all fear of 'being caught and punished for doing injustices' most of the community are friendly and generally helpful (if a bit snarky).

That seems to prove Socrates correct, the toxic ones are slaves to their appetites, and the happy/helpful ones are the rational ones:

Block Quote

Socrates ultimately argues that justice does not derive from this social construct: the man who abused the power of the Ring of Gyges has in fact enslaved himself to his appetites, while the man who chose not to use it remains rationally in control of himself and is therefore happy.

Manabozo #20 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 12:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 44195 battles
  • [GMONK] GMONK
I've seen the guy yelling about Aussies. Not quite sure that that was all about, but he was pretty triggered. It's the first time I've seen anyone complain about Australians in this game.

Also tagged with rage, racism, homophobia, stupid, people, raeg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users