Help with Mac specs please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Jonny_the_Brit #1 Posted Mar 15 2017 - 21:38

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

Hey guys. So I played WoT under boot camp on my old 2011 Mac mini for a year, until Blitz was released for the Mac and for a number of reasons I switched to that. I'm about to get some new IT and would love to be able to go back to playing WoT, preferably under the Mac wrapper rather than rebooting into boot camp.

So are any of you getting good results - decent frame rate, reasonable or even good quality graphics - playing under the Mac wrapper, and if so what are the specs of Mac that I'm going to need? Or do I need to buy a PC just to play WoT?

Any advice gratefully received. Cheers.

DERP_IN_THE_FACE #2 Posted Mar 15 2017 - 21:58

Major

• Players
  • 26907 battles
  • [FATE] FATE

Unless you are in a production business where Macs can be productive, just get a decent PC for all of your games. you dont have to go over board price wise either

I hear that sometimes running WOT for some people under Mac wrapper can be frustrating especially after patches. Otherwise not many people complain about it

Edited by DERP_IN_THE_FACE, Mar 15 2017 - 21:59.

ISNomads #3 Posted Mar 15 2017 - 22:07

Captain

• Players
  • 27216 battles
  • [WHAMO] WHAMO

I currently have this

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)

2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I use the SD WoT package, I use the Mac wrapper, I use the minimum graphics settings but shift a few settings to higher levels, and I usually get somewhere around 90 FPS. The only negative is that the machine gets quite warm sometimes. If you look at my real stats, you can see that I can still perform decently with that setup.

Any newer computer you get (laptop or iMac) should perform at least as well as mine. I think others have posted that computers on the higher end of Apple's offerings will do quite well with the 'improved' graphics settings.

galspanic #4 Posted Mar 15 2017 - 22:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 21262 battles
  • [GUNS3] GUNS3

View PostDERP_IN_THE_FACE, on Mar 15 2017 - 12:58, said:

Unless you are in a production business where Macs can be productive, just get a decent PC for all of your games. you dont have to go over board price wise either

I hear that sometimes running WOT for some people under Mac wrapper can be frustrating especially after patches. Otherwise not many people complain about it

Pretty sure that's not what he asked, but on these forums I guess people ignore the question all the time.  I run the game just fine with this on low graphics:

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2012)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

When I first started I had the graphics turned up and it freaked out, so I set them to minimum or whatever and it worked okay.  I am not a huge graphics snob/connoisseur though, so I don't know if that's enough. 

DERP_IN_THE_FACE #5 Posted Mar 15 2017 - 23:20

Major

• Players
  • 26907 battles
  • [FATE] FATE

View Postgalspanic, on Mar 15 2017 - 16:47, said:

Pretty sure that's not what he asked, but on these forums I guess people ignore the question all the time.  I run the game just fine with this on low graphics:

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2012)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

When I first started I had the graphics turned up and it freaked out, so I set them to minimum or whatever and it worked okay.  I am not a huge graphics snob/connoisseur though, so I don't know if that's enough. 

basically, if you want the game to run well and be pretty, you buy a pc. If you just want to play and don't care too much about the eye candy, use a mac. I have no idea what specs macs can have nor am I interested in knowing. All I can say is from prior experience it runs mostly okay on any computer that can run an exe file.....

black_colt #6 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

View PostJonny_the_Brit, on Mar 15 2017 - 12:38, said:

Hey guys. So I played WoT under boot camp on my old 2011 Mac mini for a year, until Blitz was released for the Mac and for a number of reasons I switched to that. I'm about to get some new IT and would love to be able to go back to playing WoT, preferably under the Mac wrapper rather than rebooting into boot camp.

So are any of you getting good results - decent frame rate, reasonable or even good quality graphics - playing under the Mac wrapper, and if so what are the specs of Mac that I'm going to need? Or do I need to buy a PC just to play WoT?

I have not used the WoT Mac Wrapper on a machine with only an integrated graphics card - all of my hardware has either integrated and discrete or discrete only.

What is your budget and will the Mac be your primary machine or just for the game?

AndrewSledge #7 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:57

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 24521 battles
I use a MacBook Pro mid-2012 with integrated graphics. I can run the SD client at medium settings at around 50fps, which is decent enough for me, but the fan runs all the time. If you just need a computer for gaming, then a PC is probably a better choice, if you  just like Macs better, the current offerings should all pretty much be able to run it at low settings. For better graphics, you'll want to get the higher end laptop or desktop Macs that have a separate graphics card rather than an integrated one.

black_colt #8 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 16:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

View PostDERP_IN_THE_FACE, on Mar 15 2017 - 14:20, said:

basically, if you want the game to run well and be pretty, you buy a pc. If you just want to play and don't care too much about the eye candy, use a mac. I have no idea what specs macs can have nor am I interested in knowing. All I can say is from prior experience it runs mostly okay on any computer that can run an exe file.....

It is never black and white as MS Windows versus macOS ... it is about what works for you.

Basically you buy a computer based on several things - your budget, will it be your primary machine and if so what apps do you need to run, are you familiar with the OS?

As a person who has run Linux, OS/2, MS Windows, OS X, Mac OS, Solaris for Intel as well as macOS - I find myself coming back to the Mac [Apple-branded Intel-based hardware and macOS].

Several reasons for that ...

In my experience [have been using Macs since 1991] is that my Mac hardware outlives my non-Mac hardware.  I have a 2011 27-inch iMac that still plays the game well.  My Late 2015 27-inch iMac 5K Retina is great - able to run two 27-inch screens [2560x1440 - billions of colors] and a RAID-Z drive with macOS without a hiccup - MS Windows 10 Pro requires me to disconnect the monitors and RAID drive just so it can update itself.  Was able to triple-boot on the same hardware [Linux, OS X, MS Windows] so I had option using the best OS for the app I needed to run.

If I did not want to boot out of macOS - I just run an emulator like Parallels.  Either Linux or MS Windows runs in a window in macOS with little/no performance hits [because I have 32GB RAM and a PCIe SSD].

Or I ran WINE [Wine Is Not an Emulator] and with the advances in the WINE environment there is less and less reason to get MS Windows to run MS Windows apps.  64-bit support was just added for macOS in WINE 2.0 - now if WarGaming would just update the game to a 64-bit app but they probably will not since it seems the majority of the MS Windows base is still running 32-bit [Mac hardware has been using x86-64 processors with a 64-bit OS since 2011].  WOW is a way but it will never have parity with native 64-bit MS Windows calls. 

macOS always seems to just work ... no need to fuss around.  If I want to fuss around then I just boot into MS Windows or Linux.

In summary - buy what works best for you based on your budget, what you are going to use the hardware for, and your experience with a OS.

For some people that is MS Windows, for others it is macOS, and for others it is Linux.

p.s. The WoT Mac Wrapper consistently runs 90/100 FPS with two monitors versus MS Windows 10 Pro at 60/70 FPS on a single monitor [drops to about 50 FPS with two monitors] on my iMac 5K Retina so I see no reason to buy a PC [Intel-based hardware running MS Windows].

Edited by black_colt, Mar 16 2017 - 16:22.

AlamoMelt #9 Posted Mar 26 2017 - 22:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16533 battles

View PostJonny_the_Brit, on Mar 15 2017 - 13:38, said:

Not sure if you're still looking, but I could play fine with the wrapper on my 13" MacBook Air from early 2014 (has an Intel HD Graphics 5000 integrated GPU). Graphics were in the low/medium range but the fps was completely workable. The little thing did get pretty hot though. Plays like a dream on the current run of 27" iMacs.

Jonny_the_Brit #10 Posted Mar 26 2017 - 22:41

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

Thanks everyone for thoughtful advice. In the end I realised I could buy both a gaming PC AND and new Mac mini (if they ever update it!) for less money than a high-end Macbook Pro. So now I'm playing WoT, WoT Blitz and WoW on a Dell PC with a VERY big graphics card, and boy does it look lovely!

Thanks again!

dstud208 #11 Posted Mar 27 2017 - 00:21

Captain

• Players
  • 17761 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO
Glad your set bro!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users