Jump to content


Please add round expulsion animations to the game

Animation Improvements

  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

EternalAegis #1 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 13:54

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 28333 battles
  • 15
  • Member since:
    01-01-2012
When rounds are fired in a tank, excess rounds are ejected from the turret through a hatch in the back. A more realistic rendering of gun firing and therefore battle can be achieved. 

IceDragon_1968 #2 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:07

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 43302 battles
  • 39
  • [-RECK] -RECK
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014
Why? Just why? 

Altwar #3 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:31

    Major

  • Players
  • 58299 battles
  • 5,231
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

Okay, lets say they add rounds being expelled.  Do they disappear in the air once that happens or do they fall to the ground and stay there, or do they just vanish like tank tracks do in about 2-3 seconds?  And what value do we realize from this addition beyond an extra bit of realism?  Expand upon your thought if you will?

 

Meanwhile, I will say that while an extra bit of realism would be welcomed, there are several other instances that make this game obvious as an arcade game as opposed to a simulator (realism).  Repairing tracks is one such example.



CrazzyStreaker #4 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:37

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 5847 battles
  • 364
  • Member since:
    05-27-2016
I would rather have Match Maker and map rotation fixed. :(

Almighty_Johnson #5 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:39

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 26598 battles
  • 2,270
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    11-10-2014

View PostCrazzyStreaker, on Mar 16 2017 - 08:37, said:

I would rather have Match Maker and map rotation fixed. :(

 

Indeed.  And also many tanks do not "eject" spent shells this way. 

EternalAegis #6 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:58

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 28333 battles
  • 15
  • Member since:
    01-01-2012

View PostAltwar, on Mar 16 2017 - 08:31, said:

Okay, lets say they add rounds being expelled.  Do they disappear in the air once that happens or do they fall to the ground and stay there, or do they just vanish like tank tracks do in about 2-3 seconds?  And what value do we realize from this addition beyond an extra bit of realism?  Expand upon your thought if you will?

 

Meanwhile, I will say that while an extra bit of realism would be welcomed, there are several other instances that make this game obvious as an arcade game as opposed to a simulator (realism).  Repairing tracks is one such example.

1) The shells are simply expelled and fall to the ground (unless there is a carrier that catches them) They dissapear after a few seconds. The end. 

2) You misunderstand what this would add to the game. Why are extra pieces of flair added to tanks? Why are there helmets on the cromwell B? The point is not realism, it is immersion, and beauty. On some level you appreciate how tanks look no? This function adds an immersive point to the game. 

 

View PostCrazzyStreaker, on Mar 16 2017 - 08:37, said:

I would rather have Match Maker and map rotation fixed. :(

Obviously. But this is not a "fix" this is an addition. This is a different issue completely. 

 

 

View Post84Doc04, on Mar 16 2017 - 08:39, said:

 

Indeed.  And also many tanks do not "eject" spent shells this way. 

Then don't add those animations? Is it hard to not add things to a game? 

 



LeaveIT2Beaver #7 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:00

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 37341 battles
  • 9,950
  • [J4F] J4F
  • Member since:
    07-04-2014
I would rather they fix the servers than add mincemeat animation that means nothing

EternalAegis #8 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:05

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 28333 battles
  • 15
  • Member since:
    01-01-2012

View PostLeaveIT2Beaver, on Mar 16 2017 - 09:00, said:

I would rather they fix the servers than add mincemeat animation that means nothing

Again, "fixing" is not the same as "improving" part of the game. This is not an "x or y" argument. I'm not disagreeing with you, but the teams responsible for graphical improvements are not the same teams that are responsible for matchmaker algorithms or server maintenance. 



LeaveIT2Beaver #9 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:11

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 37341 battles
  • 9,950
  • [J4F] J4F
  • Member since:
    07-04-2014

View PostEternalAegis, on Mar 16 2017 - 09:05, said:

Again, "fixing" is not the same as "improving" part of the game. This is not an "x or y" argument. I'm not disagreeing with you, but the teams responsible for graphical improvements are not the same teams that are responsible for matchmaker algorithms or server maintenance. 

 

I understand. Fro me it is a matter of capital (time & money) being expended on a project that adds art vs. capital being spent on a problem that negates play and financial growth. BUT! I respect your suggestion. It shows you care enough to add to the game :great:

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver, Mar 16 2017 - 15:11.


Altwar #10 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:12

    Major

  • Players
  • 58299 battles
  • 5,231
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

View PostEternalAegis, on Mar 16 2017 - 05:58, said:

1) The shells are simply expelled and fall to the ground (unless there is a carrier that catches them) They dissapear after a few seconds. The end. 

2) You misunderstand what this would add to the game. Why are extra pieces of flair added to tanks? Why are there helmets on the cromwell B? The point is not realism, it is immersion, and beauty. On some level you appreciate how tanks look no? This function adds an immersive point to the game.

 

Oh I understand the enjoyment factor/immersion given from additional details.  I agree with you there.  Just saying realism in response to your initial comment about a more realistic rendering of gun firing.

 

And cool on the rounds being dropped to the ground upon expulsion.  Can you imagine seeing that happen with the Pz C or M7 Cargo Car as examples?  Fun stuff!  And also dozens to hundreds of more pixels needing additional temporary rendering which adds to load for everyone's computers, which is why I don't think it would happen.  For the same reason smoke canisters and smoke discharges from tanks don't really linger after a firing, the WoT community as a whole don't have the computers capable of being able to take on such a graphic rendering/data load.  

 

Still, a pretty cool idea if it were possible.



AndrewSledge #11 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:21

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 36158 battles
  • 2,018
  • [1_FFD] 1_FFD
  • Member since:
    04-14-2014
Yeah, that would be cool for the tanks that did that. I've been happy that in the HD remodels of some of the casemate TDs, they've started to animate the movement of the gunner's periscopes when you move the gun, like on the SU-100Y. :great:

US_Cavalryman #12 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:44

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 67621 battles
  • 948
  • Member since:
    11-26-2011

View PostEternalAegis, on Mar 16 2017 - 07:54, said:

When rounds are fired in a tank, excess rounds are ejected from the turret through a hatch in the back. A more realistic rendering of gun firing and therefore battle can be achieved.

 

really?  I recall my loader having to chuck them out of his hatch!

EternalAegis #13 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:58

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 28333 battles
  • 15
  • Member since:
    01-01-2012

Again, individuals responsible for improving graphical aspects of the game are not the same as those responsible for improving server/lag/mm quality. Money spent on adding new tanks to the game (there are already hundreds), could be better spent improving game components and graphics. Warthunder has substantially improved tank and environmental design. While WoT has better gameplay (on average), it lags significantly behind other systems in graphical content. In order to compete with newer, glitzier games WoT will need to improve the quality of its models and environment. This is but one area where I think WG could improve. However, I agree with the jist of your comments, and I appreciate your feedback

 

View PostAltwar, on Mar 16 2017 - 09:12, said:  

Oh I understand the enjoyment factor/immersion given from additional details.  I agree with you there.  Just saying realism in response to your initial comment about a more realistic rendering of gun firing.

 

And cool on the rounds being dropped to the ground upon expulsion.  Can you imagine seeing that happen with the Pz C or M7 Cargo Car as examples?  Fun stuff!  And also dozens to hundreds of more pixels needing additional temporary rendering which adds to load for everyone's computers, which is why I don't think it would happen.  For the same reason smoke canisters and smoke discharges from tanks don't really linger after a firing, the WoT community as a whole don't have the computers capable of being able to take on such a graphic rendering/data load.  

 

Still, a pretty cool idea if it were possible.

 

Thank you both for understanding my argument. While I agree that this would certainly add increased processing requirements to the game, the effect would obviously be controlled through the options panel, much like hd models of tanks. In other words, if your computer is unable to run the effect, you could just disable it. 

 

Edited by EternalAegis, Mar 16 2017 - 16:12.


EternalAegis #14 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:59

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 28333 battles
  • 15
  • Member since:
    01-01-2012

View PostUS_Cavalryman, on Mar 16 2017 - 09:44, said:

 

really?  I recall my loader having to chuck them out of his hatch!

I don't see your point. The rounds are still ejected out of the hatch no?



US_Cavalryman #15 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 16:07

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 67621 battles
  • 948
  • Member since:
    11-26-2011

View PostEternalAegis, on Mar 16 2017 - 09:59, said:

I don't see your point. The rounds are still ejected out of the hatch no?

 

So you want WG to have tiny little loaders throwing round casings from the top of their tank?  In combat you'd be buttoned up so there would be no tossing round casings. Sheesh!  How about more realistic reload times.  If I had a crew that needed 20 seconds to reload I'd drill them in reloading to death.

ArmorStorm #16 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 16:21

    Major

  • Players
  • 37530 battles
  • 8,480
  • [F__R] F__R
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

View PostEternalAegis, on Mar 16 2017 - 06:54, said:

When rounds are fired in a tank, excess rounds are ejected from the turret through a hatch in the back. A more realistic rendering of gun firing and therefore battle can be achieved. 

 

First of all, no they don't. In most designs ESPECIALLY of WWII/Korean War vintage the shell casings simply land in the hull for the crew to deal with.  Second, who gives a dip whether or not trash gets tossed out on the ground, it would have ZERO effect on the game.  

ArmorStorm #17 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 16:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 37530 battles
  • 8,480
  • [F__R] F__R
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

View PostEternalAegis, on Mar 16 2017 - 08:59, said:

I don't see your point. The rounds are still ejected out of the hatch no?

 

Look at most of the tanks.  Do you SEE a little ejection port for the shell casings?  Most of the tanks are hand-loaded, there is no automatic loading or ejection mechanism in the vehicles.  Maybe some of the later period tanks do this, but most do not.

EternalAegis #18 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 16:26

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 28333 battles
  • 15
  • Member since:
    01-01-2012

View PostUS_Cavalryman, on Mar 16 2017 - 10:07, said:

So you want WG to have tiny little loaders throwing round casings from the top of their tank? 

I'm not sure where you got tiny little loaders from. Please stop putting little elves in your tank. They're people too. They have rights. 

 

  

Block Quote

In combat you'd be buttoned up so there would be no tossing round casings

 I don't know if you've ever been in combat, but shell casings are most certainly tossed. Just because you are in combat does not mean the hatches in your tank suddenly stop working. 

 

 

Block Quote

How about more realistic reload times.  If I had a crew that needed 20 seconds to reload I'd drill them in reloading to death. 

 Good idea. Maybe you should make a post about it.

 



EternalAegis #19 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 16:35

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 28333 battles
  • 15
  • Member since:
    01-01-2012

View PostArmorStorm, on Mar 16 2017 - 10:25, said:

 

Look at most of the tanks.  Do you SEE a little ejection port for the shell casings?  Most of the tanks are hand-loaded, there is no automatic loading or ejection mechanism in the vehicles.  Maybe some of the later period tanks do this, but most do not.

If you look carefully at this extremely modern tank, you may spot a hatch on the turret, where shell casings are ejected. Perhaps you are confusing automatic ejection systems with "loader throwing out casings". I never said the ejection was automatic, I am simply arguing for the ejection of casings as an aesthetic improvement, especially in tanks were the ejection system is 1) automatic, 2) readily visible. 


Edited by EternalAegis, Mar 16 2017 - 16:38.






Also tagged with Animation, Improvements

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users