Let the roll stompings continue until morale improves...

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Cheesehead1964 #1 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:15

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3295 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Approaching 1000 games and reaching my frustration point with this game...

For a few hundred games there I'd settled into my KV1, which has around a 50 percent win rate. Improved my overall win rate from down to 41% (gasp!) to 43%. Improving my experience and damage done and stats overall. Finished top dog on my team in several games.

The last 100 games or so have been garbage. Win rate declining. Not doing near as much damage. Getting killed early and often. I did jump around tanks a bit, trying TDs and scouting, but not so much that I think that's the blame.

I don't know if I'm trying to hard or what.

I thought about switching to mediums, but I suck in the Soviet T-34. I'm okay in the PzT25. But my win rate is still okay in the KV1.

What do to?

_Tsavo #2 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:25

Major

• Players
  • 36859 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

It's too early to worry about win rate.  Relax.  Set modest goals: pen 5 shots, do 75% your HP in damage, stay alive a little longer.  Find a good player, platoon of follow them around.  Start moving your goals a bit: 7 penetrating shots and 100% of your tank HP in damage.

Bad games will happen, you can only mitigate and control yourself, so don't let a match where you can't seem to do much get you down.  You'll get better as time goes on.

I'll elaborate more later or feel free to shoot me a PM with questions anytime C:

Good luck out there!

84Doc04 #3 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:37

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15801 battles
  • [E-T-D] E-T-D

I agree with Tsavo.  You are too new to be worried about stats yet.  Learn the game first.  You will need to develop skills in spotting mechanics, side scraping and armor use, map awareness and how/when to flex/flank.  There are a zillion subtle skills that will take far beyond a thousand battles to master.

My biggest suggestion would be to either join a clan or find some dedicated platoon mates.  Pub matches are brutal when you are alone.  Also watch every video you can.  I'd recommend Quicky Baby, Lemming Rush, Mighty Jingles, and Havok for starters.  They have good tutorials and show a wide variety of play styles and what happens when you are in favorable or horrible match-ups.

Hanz_Gooblemienhoffen_42 #4 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:41

Major

• Players
  • 13746 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 16 2017 - 08:15, said:

Approaching 1000 games and reaching my frustration point with this game...

For a few hundred games there I'd settled into my KV1, which has around a 50 percent win rate. Improved my overall win rate from down to 41% (gasp!) to 43%. Improving my experience and damage done and stats overall. Finished top dog on my team in several games.

The last 100 games or so have been garbage. Win rate declining. Not doing near as much damage. Getting killed early and often. I did jump around tanks a bit, trying TDs and scouting, but not so much that I think that's the blame.

I don't know if I'm trying to hard or what.

I thought about switching to mediums, but I suck in the Soviet T-34. I'm okay in the PzT25. But my win rate is still okay in the KV1.

What do to?

Ya what Tsavo is saying is pretty sage advice...take er easy dont get your enjoyment of the game too directly associated with your performance.

Also youre at the kinda "meh" tiers...where while the tanks are better than before, they still pale in comparison to the tanks youre about to unlock and have to face. While a KV1 is a great tank in its own tier, a bully to those below, it will get murdered by the higher tiers it faces.

Right now youre going to start to have to deepen your understanding of the game and start to learn another two tiers of tank..so when you get to T6..you have to know all the tanks up to T8...when you get to T7 you have to learn all the tanks up to T9 ad nauseam!

so the learning never stops...so try to enjoy yourself and progress at a pace that keeps up with your expanding knowledge.

Would suggest you start working with mentor or someone to help speed up this process!

Good luck mate...games just starting to get good, but the learning never stops.

ExclamationMarx #5 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:42

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1595 battles

I don't care about stats really, and honest to god it probably shows, In just care about having fun. It's not that I don't want to get better, I do, but it's not my first and top priority when I'm playing. My top priorities are SH/CW and Loling in my scouts.  :trollface:

I recommend going to the clan [MOVE], they are a VERY big help when it comes to wanting to learn the game, they helped me quite a bit in the beginning.

Good luck my friend!

Edited by ExclamationMarx, Mar 16 2017 - 14:43.

Cheesehead1964 #6 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3295 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Good advice all!

Can anyone recommend either:

(a) staying in KV1 and really learning it?

(b) recommend a good tank to focus on for my level, Tier Vish? Switch to medium?

© jump around? (I feel like this is killing me, but I kind of enjoy the Chaffee and SU85 - might be too much frustration though)

_Tsavo #7 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:58

Major

• Players
  • 36859 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO
Stick to the kv-1 for now, search the forum for "Lert's Guides" and give them a read.  They're built to help give you a base understanding of the game's finer components.

sooner61 #8 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 14:58

Private

• -Players-
  • 6068 battles
Cheesehead, I'm right about where you are in the game...I also have a KV-1 that I did ok in initially...but am now falling off.  Please continue to share your progression, mine is similar...and thanks to the guys (and/ or girls?) above who responded with those most helpful words of encouragement.

dunniteowl #9 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 17787 battles

This is a 'streak' or 'run' of tough moments.  I had a night the other night with a 43% win rate for the night, although I am doing much better overall than I was when I was in your position.  It is frustrating, though it's almost always something you can wait out.  It'll turn around for you, though my experience has been that it turns around sooner if you maintain a positive attitude and focus on just learning more about how to play.  I have had nights where I came out with a 20% WR for the evening, no matter what I did, nothing seemed to be panning out in my favor.  Hell, most nights you can count on two or three 'carry' games where you never or hardly get to see any action before the rest of your team has mopped up all the bits and some nights you don't even get those as a form of 'salve' to the evening.

It's easy to come out thinking, "Holy cow, that was awful!  I may just quit this damn game..."  Do it.  Quit for now.  Take a break.  Get your head straight.

Most folks who suddenly dip in performance are either grinding new units or are having trouble with some basic 'game mechanics' concepts that they think they understand better than they do.  Also, sometimes, after a few good nights, folks will get a bit of 'confidence' in their abilities that are perhaps, unwarranted, based on a 'good run' of games that are conflated into thinking they are actually performing more ably than they might truly be on the whole.

This is just as 'dangerous' as can be the attitude that 'it's not me, it's them' when it comes to reasons why performance drops occur.  Overconfidence leads to mistakes.  It's an aphorism that in this case, happens to be true as often as not.  The moment I think I really know what I'm doing with a tactic, unit, concept, it seems that is when I suddenly fail to do as well as I think I should -- or know I should be doing when compared to my stats and performance that I can objectively measure.

Even now, I am learning all manner of things -- or reinforcing the learning of them -- such that it ultimately will make of me a better player.  I imagine I'll be learning new things until I either get bored or die, because that's just how I roll.  I haven't been bored with this game even remotely yet.

Hang in there, man; and recognize that 'performance' metrics (ie: stats) are a Long Range View that are designed not to show everyone else how good or bad you are (even though there are plenty who will use them that way out of context) -- they are there to allow you to pinpoint strengths and weaknesses in your playing that might make a real difference in that 'performance.'  Don't take them too seriously.

Another thing.  When I first decided I was going to learn to play better, I did.  In that time, though, there were times when I saw my damage per game, XP per game and credits per game increasing -- yet I was having my backside handed to me more than usual it seemed.  This is part of that 'confirmation' bias that goes on.  You have a bad run, but your numbers in all other respects are going up -- WTH?!?  This is YOU doing better while your teams are getting rekt.  Don't sweat it, it's not a horrible thing.  YOU'RE doing better and that's the take away from all that.

In the meantime, while you're doing better, you're also just having a 'bad run' and it will ebb away as all things do.  After a time of this sort of ebb and flow of your WR, you'll notice that those streaks are less often, less harsh and less annoying (in the longer view) than they currently are.

As an example, with a 1000 matches, every two or three games you drop or rise by a hundredth of a percent (.01%) maybe as many as four or five.  In my case, a bad run can go .03 to .05% in a night, which is like, twenty losses more than wins or vice versa for a winning night.  You don't say?  A whole half a tenth of a percent, you say, wow, that's rough.

It's all about perspective.  Don't let the stats ruin the fun for you, too, even when you're using them.  I like to win.  I like to do better.  More than both of those, though, I really LIKE just playing the game.

I use my stats to gauge my performance over time and to help me spot my weaknesses and strengths in playing.  Even so, I don't obsess over them (well, not too much, but I do like to look) beyond taking the time to see my improvements over time.  Stats are for comparing.  You should also compare your stats to then and now in order to gain perspective for your own peace of mind.

If you're going to let the negative moments intrude into your gaming, then using performance over time and your overall "fun factor" as positives to keep you motivated and invested with the proper amount of perspective will carry you through these moments where it feels like things are not going as well.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Cheesehead1964 #10 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:02

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3295 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postsooner61, on Mar 16 2017 - 14:58, said:

Cheesehead, I'm right about where you are in the game...I also have a KV-1 that I did ok in initially...but am now falling off.  Please continue to share your progression, mine is similar...and thanks to the guys (and/ or girls?) above who responded with those most helpful words of encouragement.

Will do. Yeah our average damage rate and experience are about the same. Wonder why my win rate is so much lower? Frustrating, though I know I'm not supposed to fixate on that right now.

Pipinghot #11 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:03

Major

• Players
  • 25813 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

I wouldn't say that "jumping around" is best, but playing multiple classes at the same time is good for you. This could mean that you play until you get your x2 win in each tank every time you play, or it could mean you play 10 battles in one tank on one day, then 10 battles in a different class the next day, and then 10 battles in the third class the next day. Or some other combination, you get the idea. You don't want to just jump around willy nilly because that makes it harder to really get comfortable with a tank and learn how to play it to its maximum performance. But if you just play one tank over and over for a couple of hundred battles then you'll suddenly feel like a fish out of water when you switch to other tanks/classes.

As others have said, this is not the time to be worrying about your stats, instead your focus should be on learning the game and developing your skills. Part of that process is getting familiar with multiple classes of vehicles, part of it is getting enough exposure to all of the maps that they become more familiar, and a big part of it is learning the game mechanics. This game is the classic "easy to learn, hard to master" kind of game. You won't find huge success by having awesome twitch-fast reflexes, it's sort of a first person game but not a first person shooter. Long term success in WoT is based much more on knowledge than on reflexes or muscle speed.

If you have not done so yet, bookmark the "Battle Mechanics" section of the wiki

http://wiki.wargamin...attle_Mechanics

Every time you play try to learn something new. Read some section of the wiki grabs your attention, read it until you see something new that you didn't know before, then play 5-10 battles with the explicit goal of using that new information in the battle. Then repeat that process as much as you can.

If you're the kind of person who's good at working-at-learning, then you can improve your skills faster, but at some point that can feel like work. You have to know yourself well enough to decide your own threshold, you might do that process three times in a single night (learn something, play 5-10 battles, learn something, play 5-10 battles, learn something, play 5-10 battles) or you might just do it once and then spend the rest of your game session goofing around. You have to decide how much you want to improve, and how much you want to work at getting better at a game.

What makes this game hard for a lot of people is that it's not good enough just to improve, you have to improve more than other players, because ultimately that's who you're competing against. by the time you get to Tier V you're playing in battles with a lot of people who have a lot of experience and knowledge, if you don't work at improving your knowledge you'll have a hard time improving your performance and your win rate.

Mind you, none of this is "required" by any means. If you just like logging on for a few hours a week and running around going "pew pew boom! I'm driving a tank" that's fine too, everyone needs to enjoy the game on their own terms. But if you want to get better, it takes work and practice, just clicking "Battle" over and over is not going to make you better at the game.

Edited by Pipinghot, Mar 16 2017 - 15:06.

Cheesehead1964 #12 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:07

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3295 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Outstanding advice on this forum. Thanks for all the encouragement!

Nudnick #13 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:29

Captain

• -Players-
  • 19000 battles
My goal in the game has become knocking down trees and buildings, and running over little foreign cars. If I manage to damage an enemy tank before I'm killed it's a bonus. I'm thinking of changing my name to "Back to Garage".

dunniteowl #14 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 17787 battles

View PostNudnick, on Mar 16 2017 - 15:29, said:

My goal in the game has become knocking down trees and buildings, and running over little foreign cars. If I manage to damage an enemy tank before I'm killed it's a bonus. I'm thinking of changing my name to "Back to Garage".

It is these antics that are getting you targeted by arty.  They can see you knocking stuff over and project your path, then BLAM!  Hope that you're having a good time, no matter what!

GL, HF & HSYBF

LeaveIT2Beaver #15 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 27858 battles
  • [BRIG] BRIG

View PostNudnick, on Mar 16 2017 - 09:29, said:

Ur my teacher :great::teethhappy:

I have gotten where I like to take out laundry on the clothes line and run over the scarecrows. The garage is my fortress...

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver, Mar 16 2017 - 15:46.

LeaveIT2Beaver #16 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 27858 battles
  • [BRIG] BRIG

OP at 12,500 games my stats looked like your current stats only my hit rate was 33%.  All I can tell you is to watch videos on YouTube of the good players and take the solid advice given above. For me the easiest road to learning was to get on a TD track (I buy prems because I like to ). Get prem trainers when you can and remember to use them to increase your crew's skills!

If I can get my stats up so can you, and all you have to do is watch TV a little and experiment !  

The best of luck mate!:great::honoring:

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver, Mar 16 2017 - 15:51.

Hanz_Gooblemienhoffen_42 #17 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:51

Major

• Players
  • 13746 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 16 2017 - 08:47, said:

Good advice all!

Can anyone recommend either:

(a) staying in KV1 and really learning it?

(b) recommend a good tank to focus on for my level, Tier Vish? Switch to medium?

© jump around? (I feel like this is killing me, but I kind of enjoy the Chaffee and SU85 - might be too much frustration though)

You're already in a good line Russian IS to IS7 has a bunch of great very forgiving tanks and is totally balanced :) ....not OP at all. German E100 line is also pretty fun.

If you like medium play...try the Russian medium line...again very good tanks all through the lines.

Just understand that mediums in this game at T5 are pretty 'meh"...but at T6 start to get better when the guns get bigger like the T6 Russ Med the T34-85 is great for its tier.

Personally try not to jump too much around as the playstyle is totally different..i generally will focus on one  type per night...so mostly meds or mostly hvys....that way you dont end up showing up on hvy tank corner in your T34 medium with a 57mm and suddenly think:

"what the hell am i doing here?"

up to you though..

:)

XxDaNgErOuSxX #18 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 15:54

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19122 battles
  • [SOAPS] SOAPS

play a few thousand games, stick with crap stats, and then reroll like everyone else after you learn the game for great stats.:great:

-I didn't reroll, don't hurt me pls :(

Edited by XxDaNgErOuSxX, Mar 16 2017 - 15:55.

Oolab1 #19 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 16:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 24570 battles
  • [-APCR] -APCR
Everything everyone has said so far is great advice, and is exactly what I thought I should say when I clicked on this post.  Another thing I'll throw in is that you definitely shouldn't get caught up in stats at all.  For example, I have something like 24,000 battles since 2011 when I started.  Back then I wasn't very good, and had MUCH lower than 50% winrate (granted the game was much different, but I digress).  If you look at my stats now, I have only a 49.5% winrate overall.  However, as of last night my winrate over the past month or so was around 57%.  Obviously, this means that I'm actually a much better player than my stats show at first glance.  Because with every battle you play, the impact that a win or loss has on your winrate gets smaller and smaller.  The point is, don't worry about it bro.

ArmorStorm #20 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 16:10

Major

• Players
  • 32830 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

Some basic metrics to look for before going up a tier.  

1.  Are you doing at least your own hit points in damage on average?

2.  Are your kills/deaths and damage done/damage received over 1.0?

3.  How is your crew?  Is it at 100%+ and ready to be moved up to the next tank?  You need to be somewhat above 100% in experience to train up with credits and stay at 100%.

4.  Are you comfortable playing the role that your tank is designed for at this tier?  If you cannot succeed without staying well back in anything but TDs or SPGs then moving up will only lead to less success.

5.  Are you having FUN?  If you think that better tanks will improve your fun level because naturally they will perform better, you are mistaken.  The quality of the opposing tanks rises as well and you will fail more from not knowing the game mechanics and tactics.

Mainly, make sure that you are at least mid-pack in most of your matches and contributing to the team wins if you want to enjoy the game as you progress.

Good luck mate!

edit.  I just looked at your vehicles.  For the love of God, quit running premium tanks and free experiencing to mid-tiers!  You are going to destroy your account by never having decent crews and the experience (RL) of playing them.

Edited by ArmorStorm, Mar 16 2017 - 16:13.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users