Let the roll stompings continue until morale improves...

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

ephemeral_beast #41 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 02:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9764 battles

It is a safe bet that you are trying too hard. Most new players do.  Rush out aggressively, guns blazing, getting blown-up before they even spot the guy shooting them. Totally normal.

Keep the KV-1 because derping some guy face to face is one of the true joys in this game.  I also recommend getting the Chi Ha and concentrate on learning how to not be seen while still getting shots at the enemy.  Watch youtube videos on how to best use the tanks you like.  Watch Tsavo's live stream and pay attention to what he does.

Don't try to be the hero.  Don't worry about your stats (maybe around 3000 games).  Don't give up.

Cheesehead1964 #42 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 02:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1216 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postephemeral_beast, on Mar 17 2017 - 02:11, said:

It is a safe bet that you are trying too hard. Most new players do.  Rush out aggressively, guns blazing, getting blown-up before they even spot the guy shooting them. Totally normal.

Keep the KV-1 because derping some guy face to face is one of the true joys in this game.  I also recommend getting the Chi Ha and concentrate on learning how to not be seen while still getting shots at the enemy.  Watch youtube videos on how to best use the tanks you like.  Watch Tsavo's live stream and pay attention to what he does.

Don't try to be the hero.  Don't worry about your stats (maybe around 3000 games).  Don't give up.

TOTALLY agree. It's hard not to try too hard when the upper tier heavies are hanging back and not going to the right places on the map (not all the time of course but thinking of some recent games)... But yeah I've definitely had games where I knew I wasn't being cautious enough. I seem to get whacked a lot by TDs who are out of sight or artillery. That's just going to come with game experience I suppose.

GREAT advice.

Any suggestions on KV1 equipment? I currently use gun rammer, vents, and EGLV. Would coated optics or binocs be better to see stuff better?

Patonb #43 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 02:35

Major

• Players
  • 26178 battles

If you're a bottom, expect to get bent over by the upper tiers.

But do not rush out in a bottom tier heavy. Park back by the top campers and let them light and suck up hits.

ephemeral_beast #44 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 05:35

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9764 battles

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 17 2017 - 02:24, said:

TOTALLY agree. It's hard not to try too hard when the upper tier heavies are hanging back and not going to the right places on the map (not all the time of course but thinking of some recent games)... But yeah I've definitely had games where I knew I wasn't being cautious enough. I seem to get whacked a lot by TDs who are out of sight or artillery. That's just going to come with game experience I suppose.

GREAT advice.

Any suggestions on KV1 equipment? I currently use gun rammer, vents, and EGLV. Would coated optics or binocs be better to see stuff better?

On the KV-1 I use gun rammer, vents and tool box.  The tool box is because I got sick of being tracked. I'm certainly no expert on this, so try different things until you find what you like. I also trained my crew for repairs.  In most games you will have mediums and lights who will light up targets. Remember that big rocks, buildings and dead tanks make good cover.

I recommended the chi ha, but now I think about it, that might train you to be too cautious. 

Patonb #45 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 14:44

Major

• Players
  • 26178 battles

View Postephemeral_beast, on Mar 16 2017 - 23:35, said:

On the KV-1 I use gun rammer, vents and tool box.  The tool box is because I got sick of being tracked. I'm certainly no expert on this, so try different things until you find what you like. I also trained my crew for repairs.  In most games you will have mediums and lights who will light up targets. Remember that big rocks, buildings and dead tanks make good cover.

I recommended the chi ha, but now I think about it, that might train you to be too cautious.

Toolbox works till full repairs, then drop for Vert or GLD.

Cheesehead1964 #46 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 14:54

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1216 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postephemeral_beast, on Mar 17 2017 - 05:35, said:

What's the "Chi Ha"? I see a light but not a heavy.

What about the American T1 tier V heavy?

ephemeral_beast #47 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 15:28

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9764 battles

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 17 2017 - 14:54, said:

What's the "Chi Ha"? I see a light but not a heavy.

What about the American T1 tier V heavy?

It's the tier 3 Japanese medium.  Fragile little thing but I like it.

The T1 heavy is big and slow.  I see it as a stepping stone on the way to the T29.  I am not good in mine yet. Need to watch some videos to see what I'm doing wrong with it.

dunniteowl #48 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 16:25

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14823 battles

On my Heavy tanks, my loader and radio operator were trained first in Repairs. Driver gets Off Road Driving always first (you're going to be spending about 70-85% of your movement in this environment.)  Gunner got Snapshot, because -- better aim is more hit efficiency which equates to more damage.  Commander Recon.  In pretty much all other classes most of these first skills would probably be Concealment.  Hvy tanks have the worst concealment and you get the least bang for your XP buck by taking concealment for a Hvy right away.

For 2nd skills, those that didn't take Repairs will take -- you guessed it, Repairs.  So now Driver and Gunner take Repairs, Loader takes Firefighting, Radio takes either Firefighting or Situational Awareness (if I am in a slow tank, Firefighting -- a fast one SA) and Commander takes Repairs.

In Hvy tanks you end up getting pounded on a lot from just about anyone who can hit you.  Even those "useless" bottom tier tanks are busy tracking you and keeping you spotted, sometimes popping an evil round into your engine compartment.  Repairs on your crew is a more useful skill than Concealment for a Hvy tank in most cases (there will be that one or two exception units in most every class) as you will be expected to brawl and if you don't they will hunt your butt down.  You need to get damaged/destroyed modules/components back up rapido, rapido!

I haven't changed my consumeables load yet, but I think I may dump my small repair kit for a toolbox (speeds up repairs and stacks with crew skills, which are cumulative across entire crew with them, similar to BIA, except that it works all the time) and see what kind of difference that makes.  As I can unmount it once I get it, like nets and binocs getting one wouldn't be a big deal as a test.  Once I jump I'll report back and see what kind of difference it seems to make.

I also recommend you carry an Automatic Fire Extinguisher.  Not only does it automatically put out a fire when it happens, it reduces the overall percent chance to even HAVE a fire by 20% just being on your unit.  Combined with Firefighting on your crew (another Cumulative Skill across the entire crew that stacks with fire extinguishers and improved engines to reduce chance of fire) this can pretty much reduce your chance of fire to something like -- well, I caught fire three times in the last hundred or so matches maybe?  Maybe less.  This is inclusive of not catching fire with an ammo rack explosion once.  Firefighting and Fire extinguishers are worth it.

This is all hindsight selection.  When I first started selecting skills I chose a few that didn't really make sense -- such as concealment at first for my heavy tanks.  Not useful, because it just didn't make enough of a difference to be a factor in my survival.  So when I managed to get a third skill going on my first Hvy crew (still in my US T1 Heavy Tier V) that I brought up from the M3 Lee Medium, I switched to BIA 1st for all and then the selections above.  Any of you who have yet to get that far, now would be a good time to think about your most useful crew skills for the types and classes of tanks you want to play the most and focus on those.

Definitely you should go to the wiki at the very least and read up on the whole Crew Skills outside of the client where you can do comparisons without a tank crew with a + sign urging you to CHOOSE NOW flashing at you.  Think about what you expect to do and what you will attempt to accomplish in your tanks and outfit your Crew Skills accordingly.  Remember, you can reset your Skills and Perks, either with gold or silver (the silver option takes a 10% or such bite per skill reset I believe, so resetting 3 skills would cost you 30% off your 3rd skill, keeping the first two entirely intact) and select new Skills and Perks.  This is when you take your 1st Skill in your crew and switch it to the Perk: Brothers In Arms, which only works at 100% and is required to be on ALL CREW to work.

The BIA bonus is very notable right away.  It's worth the hit even if you can only retrain or reset with silver like myself.  In such cases, just make sure that the last skill you are resetting is at least 50% before you do.  That way the hit doesn't suck the last skill down to nothing.  You probably will only completely reset a crews skills in this manner once ever.  By then you'll know what you're doing from there on out and your reset will reflect that knowledge at that time.

Hope that's useful and relevant, I'm too tired to play and so am haunting the forums for my 'entertainment.'  Pretend I'm like a documentary.

GL, HF & HSYBF

WangOnTheLoose #49 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 16:37

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18710 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View PostNudnick, on Mar 16 2017 - 09:29, said:

My goal in the game has become knocking down trees and buildings, and running over little foreign cars. If I manage to damage an enemy tank before I'm killed it's a bonus. I'm thinking of changing my name to "Back to Garage".

I go out of my way to run over cars too.  I am convinced that the team that destroys the most cars wins more often..... bonus points for killing the airplanes on that airfield map.

Edited by WangOnTheLoose, Mar 17 2017 - 16:37.

Boxhawk #50 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 13:45

Major

• Players
  • 20331 battles
Your stats suggest you die very early and often.  The KV-1 is a forgiving tank, but the armor really is useless to tier 6 and 7 guns.  Be more cautious.  Let the top tiers slug it out and be a support player, not the hero.  TDs are very good in teaching that

Cheesehead1964 #51 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 14:13

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1216 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostBoxhawk, on Mar 18 2017 - 13:45, said:

Your stats suggest you die very early and often.  The KV-1 is a forgiving tank, but the armor really is useless to tier 6 and 7 guns.  Be more cautious.  Let the top tiers slug it out and be a support player, not the hero.  TDs are very good in teaching that

Lately that seems to be more the case. I had a run where I felt like I was improving a lot but maybe BECAUSE I was getting better I started taking more chances. And because I'm getting better map knowledge, I'm getting frustrated when it seems like the other heavies are hanging back and camping at the base or whatever. So I get that but need to practice it more.

Good idea about TDs. Been working with SU-85 and enjoying it lately.

Patonb #52 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 14:29

Major

• Players
  • 26178 battles

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 18 2017 - 08:13, said:

Lately that seems to be more the case. I had a run where I felt like I was improving a lot but maybe BECAUSE I was getting better I started taking more chances. And because I'm getting better map knowledge, I'm getting frustrated when it seems like the other heavies are hanging back and camping at the base or whatever. So I get that but need to practice it more.

Good idea about TDs. Been working with SU-85 and enjoying it lately.

Yha, this game is a lot mental and part physical.

Knowing your tank, map and player base, you formulate the way you proceed.

Being bottom tier heavy, feel free to hang back behind the top tiers.

The SU-85/100 are stealthy buggers but can't take hits, so they need to hide. I think I have a 58% w/r in my SU-100 with 500+ games. My best tank.

You're at 1000 games so screwing up now means nothing.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users