Let the roll stompings continue until morale improves...

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

XxDaNgErOuSxX #21 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 16:12

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19542 battles
  • [SOAPS] SOAPS

OP tanks and seal clubber tanks. tier 5...Churchill 3(prem),any td with good camo, and your kv-1. at tier 6 you'll want to go with faster tanks since matchmaker hates tier 6's and throws you into a lot of tier 8 games, so camo and speed. tanks that dominate tier 7 if you haven't seen are the t29s and IS. t29 has an inpenetrable turret unless the  enemy is firing gold and penning your cupola *cough*(skorp g)*cough*. the IS is an all around good soviet heavy with decent armor. I can only speak for heavies because I was terrible in meds at that tier. Tier 8 and up, the balance between speed, armor, and and cannon. Russian mediums, Chinese mediums, both have speed and armor if you can angle, the turrets on those bastards at tier 9-10 have troll armor. if you want a good gun on a fast tank with decent armor you might want to look into the  crusader-Cromwell line. they recently gave the centurion(tier 8) and the centurion7/1(tier 9) a speed buff. they also get good gun depression, which makes it easy to use your turret to harass ridgelines. but at tier 9-10 Russian meds is the best bet. heavies at tier 10 get shat on  by arty unless its a fast sleek Russian, and the tds are slow with huge guns. If you want the truth, high tier is total [edited]and I would try to avoid it unless your statpadding damage etc. GL with my reply XD I'm bored

OldFrog75 #22 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 16:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8109 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I've got about  the same number of battles as you and I am encouraged that you have done well in the KV-1 since that's the Russian line I'm pursuing.  I still haven't gotten out of Tier III yet - this is the first keyboard video game I've ever played in my life so learning how to manipulate the tank in battle at my age has been a real challenge for me, even with extra time in the Provisional play room.

I started off pretty well (I think my Personal Record was over 2000 at about 200-300 battles) then everything went to crap.  My low point was at about 600 battles while I was playing Tier I/II and I couldn't get a win or a kill or survive to save my life.  My Personal Record (is that the same as Wn8?) got down to 666.  I've since clawed my way back to a little over 1100 so I know I must be getting better. (I think my new computer with a much larger screen and full sized keyboard is helping).

My next goal is to get a headset, download teamspeak, and start working with a mentor and maybe a clan.

Hang in there.  :great: 

Edited by OldFrog75, Mar 16 2017 - 16:31.

Cheesehead1964 #23 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 17:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4645 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostArmorStorm, on Mar 16 2017 - 16:10, said:

Some basic metrics to look for before going up a tier. 

1.  Are you doing at least your own hit points in damage on average?

Good goal. Been working on it. That last several  dozen horses&%t games, haven't been near it.

2.  Are your kills/deaths and damage done/damage received over 1.0?

Again good goal.

3.  How is your crew?  Is it at 100%+ and ready to be moved up to the next tank?  You need to be somewhat above 100% in experience to train up with credits and stay at 100%.

Over 100 percent on everything I drive, plus working on one skill per crew member. Every tank is maxed out and geared up with equipment.

4.  Are you comfortable playing the role that your tank is designed for at this tier?  If you cannot succeed without staying well back in anything but TDs or SPGs then moving up will only lead to less success.

I feel pretty good in Tier V heavies right now. Suck at mediums (especially T-34 not sure why) but want to get better. Little experience in TDs but want to get better. Like the SU85.

5.  Are you having FUN?  If you think that better tanks will improve your fun level because naturally they will perform better, you are mistaken.  The quality of the opposing tanks rises as well and you will fail more from not knowing the game mechanics and tactics.

I was having fun when I was seeing improvement for those few hundred games. Not having fun the last several dozen games as the wheels have come off.

Mainly, make sure that you are at least mid-pack in most of your matches and contributing to the team wins if you want to enjoy the game as you progress.

I shoot for being in top 5 or 6 as top tier, and mid pack when I'm lower than top tier. Succeed a decent amount at this goal. Enough to keep wanting to play.

Good luck mate!

edit.  I just looked at your vehicles.  For the love of God, quit running premium tanks and free experiencing to mid-tiers!  You are going to destroy your account by never having decent crews and the experience (RL) of playing them.

Well I've been using the Churchill III and Matilda IV as trainers for the KV1 and T-34, and the T25 as trainer for PzIV, so swapping crews back and forth. That's a good idea, no? But yes free experiencing to mid tiers to acquire tanks quickly - I'm not interested in playing Tiers I-IV. Is that a bad thing?

GAJohnnie #24 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 17:04

Major

• Players
  • 9132 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 16 2017 - 08:47, said:

Good advice all!

Can anyone recommend either:

(a) staying in KV1 and really learning it?

(b) recommend a good tank to focus on for my level, Tier Vish? Switch to medium?

© jump around? (I feel like this is killing me, but I kind of enjoy the Chaffee and SU85 - might be too much frustration though)

Stay with the KV1 and really learn it. I made the mistake of playing a bunch of different tanks when I started. I wish I had started with heavies and really learned the game before branching out.

Order of difficulty in this game is

Heavies

Mediums

TDs

Scouts/Lights

GAJohnnie #25 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 17:06

Major

• Players
  • 9132 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_
Oh and be aware tier 5 is the new seal clubber zone. You going to run into guys with 15,000 plus games playing T67 or other OP tanks that are going to just wreck everything. Don't let the games where you get clubbed get to you. Just shake it off and move on.

Cheesehead1964 #26 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 17:21

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4645 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostXxDaNgErOuSxX, on Mar 16 2017 - 16:12, said:

OP tanks and seal clubber tanks. tier 5...Churchill 3(prem),any td with good camo, and your kv-1. at tier 6 you'll want to go with faster tanks since matchmaker hates tier 6's and throws you into a lot of tier 8 games, so camo and speed. tanks that dominate tier 7 if you haven't seen are the t29s and IS. t29 has an inpenetrable turret unless the  enemy is firing gold and penning your cupola *cough*(skorp g)*cough*. the IS is an all around good soviet heavy with decent armor. I can only speak for heavies because I was terrible in meds at that tier. Tier 8 and up, the balance between speed, armor, and and cannon. Russian mediums, Chinese mediums, both have speed and armor if you can angle, the turrets on those bastards at tier 9-10 have troll armor. if you want a good gun on a fast tank with decent armor you might want to look into the  crusader-Cromwell line. they recently gave the centurion(tier 8) and the centurion7/1(tier 9) a speed buff. they also get good gun depression, which makes it easy to use your turret to harass ridgelines. but at tier 9-10 Russian meds is the best bet. heavies at tier 10 get shat on  by arty unless its a fast sleek Russian, and the tds are slow with huge guns. If you want the truth, high tier is total [edited]and I would try to avoid it unless your statpadding damage etc. GL with my reply XD I'm bored

Um, what is an "OP" tank?

Cheesehead1964 #27 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 17:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4645 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostOldFrog75, on Mar 16 2017 - 16:27, said:

I've got about  the same number of battles as you and I am encouraged that you have done well in the KV-1 since that's the Russian line I'm pursuing.  I still haven't gotten out of Tier III yet - this is the first keyboard video game I've ever played in my life so learning how to manipulate the tank in battle at my age has been a real challenge for me, even with extra time in the Provisional play room.

I started off pretty well (I think my Personal Record was over 2000 at about 200-300 battles) then everything went to crap.  My low point was at about 600 battles while I was playing Tier I/II and I couldn't get a win or a kill or survive to save my life.  My Personal Record (is that the same as Wn8?) got down to 666.  I've since clawed my way back to a little over 1100 so I know I must be getting better. (I think my new computer with a much larger screen and full sized keyboard is helping).

My next goal is to get a headset, download teamspeak, and start working with a mentor and maybe a clan.

Hang in there.  :great: 

Yeah, I really like the KV1 and have been hanging around 50% win rate. Damage inflicted has gone way up. You might be the smart one for progressing up the Tiers more slowly. I've just heard that Tier V is a good level that isn't maybe as chaotic as the lower levels. I wish I had a lower tier tank I really loved - well I did really well in the PzII...

Cheesehead1964 #28 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 17:30

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4645 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostGAJohnnie, on Mar 16 2017 - 17:04, said:

Stay with the KV1 and really learn it. I made the mistake of playing a bunch of different tanks when I started. I wish I had started with heavies and really learned the game before branching out.

Order of difficulty in this game is

Heavies

Mediums

TDs

Scouts/Lights

Good advice. That said, is there another good Tier V heavy you can recommend to play also? I do okay in my Churchills - not as great as my KV1, but then again I started earlier with it when I sucked more.

GAJohnnie #29 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 17:43

Major

• Players
  • 9132 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 16 2017 - 11:30, said:

Good advice. That said, is there another good Tier V heavy you can recommend to play also? I do okay in my Churchills - not as great as my KV1, but then again I started earlier with it when I sucked more.

I love all my Russian Heavies so it hard to beat the KV-1 at tier 5.

If you like big heavy tanks with big guns the OI Exp is just a monster at tier 5.

If you like a more Heavy/Medium style play, the T1 Heavy is a great tank. I love my T1 Heavy but then I like more mobile tanks. T1 Heavy is really a fat medium, not  a heavy tank and it leads to the M6. I love the US M6 at tier 6 best of all my tanks

I went back and played tanks I sucked at coming up and found some I liked better now. If you did OK in your Churchill, you might want to give that another try.  Those fast firing British guns are the one shiny spot in the British heavy line. I love my Matilda but not sure I know how to play the big slow heavy game style. I been kind of leery of trying the Churchill line.

Sunserrae #30 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 17:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 14932 battles

I find that the game gets to be the most frustrating when you are grinding a single line or tank. 

For example, there are some tanks I have gotten that no matter what you do, you lose. You can have top gun, high caliber, be in the top 3 for a number of games and still get loss after loss because 50% of your team is scoring ZERO DAMAGE OF ANY KIND in the match. Your frustration builds, and you start raging. To combat this, I will bounce around between different tanks and tiers, including old favorites I like to play. This keeps the game enjoyable, after all, I am here for entertainment not stats, nor am I getting paid. 

:trollface:

GAJohnnie #31 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 17:57

Major

• Players
  • 9132 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostSunserrae, on Mar 16 2017 - 11:53, said:

I find that the game gets to be the most frustrating when you are grinding a single line or tank. 

For example, there are some tanks I have gotten that no matter what you do, you lose. You can have top gun, high caliber, be in the top 3 for a number of games and still get loss after loss because 50% of your team is scoring ZERO DAMAGE OF ANY KIND in the match. Your frustration builds, and you start raging. To combat this, I will bounce around between different tanks and tiers, including old favorites I like to play. This keeps the game enjoyable, after all, I am here for entertainment not stats, nor am I getting paid. 

Good advice, when all else fails. Check you stats in game, look for your top 3 win rate tanks with more then 100 battles and play only them for a while.

Cheesehead1964 #32 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 18:11

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4645 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostSunserrae, on Mar 16 2017 - 17:53, said:

I HATE when that happens! But absolutely, focus on the fun!

Cheesehead1964 #33 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 18:11

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4645 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostGAJohnnie, on Mar 16 2017 - 17:43, said:

I love all my Russian Heavies so it hard to beat the KV-1 at tier 5.

If you like big heavy tanks with big guns the OI Exp is just a monster at tier 5.

If you like a more Heavy/Medium style play, the T1 Heavy is a great tank. I love my T1 Heavy but then I like more mobile tanks. T1 Heavy is really a fat medium, not  a heavy tank and it leads to the M6. I love the US M6 at tier 6 best of all my tanks

I went back and played tanks I sucked at coming up and found some I liked better now. If you did OK in your Churchill, you might want to give that another try.  Those fast firing British guns are the one shiny spot in the British heavy line. I love my Matilda but not sure I know how to play the big slow heavy game style. I been kind of leery of trying the Churchill line.

I love my Matildas too. They are like a small heavy but yeah slow as molasses!

Patonb #34 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 18:17

Major

• Players
  • 26306 battles

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 16 2017 - 09:02, said:

Will do. Yeah our average damage rate and experience are about the same. Wonder why my win rate is so much lower? Frustrating, though I know I'm not supposed to fixate on that right now.

Truthfully, he's being carried.

Your straight up problem is not doing damage. You played 9 games last night and averaged 103 dmg. KV-1 low rolls that per shot.

Do as Tsavo has said, 75% damage, so 4 shots, per game. You need to learn where the soft parts to shot are if you really wish to get better.

Cheesehead1964 #35 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 18:24

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4645 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostPatonb, on Mar 16 2017 - 18:17, said:

Truthfully, he's being carried.

Your straight up problem is not doing damage. You played 9 games last night and averaged 103 dmg. KV-1 low rolls that per shot.

Do as Tsavo has said, 75% damage, so 4 shots, per game. You need to learn where the soft parts to shot are if you really wish to get better.

Yeah I get that. My goal every game is to finish top third in damage delivered and/or experience. When I was on a roll I was doing that. Last several dozen games I've not been delivering any where near as much damage. Frustrating.

Any good resources on learning where to shoot? I have researched that a little, just not enough...

Edited by Cheesehead1964, Mar 16 2017 - 18:31.

_Tsavo #36 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 18:43

Major

• Players
  • 38398 battles

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 16 2017 - 12:24, said:

Yeah I get that. My goal every game is to finish top third in damage delivered and/or experience. When I was on a roll I was doing that. Last several dozen games I've not been delivering any where near as much damage. Frustrating.

Any good resources on learning where to shoot? I have researched that a little, just not enough...

Tanks.gg is a fantastic website for armor models, look there for good models and weakspots

GAJohnnie #37 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 19:02

Major

• Players
  • 9132 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 16 2017 - 12:24, said:

http://tanks.gg/list

If you keep running into tanks that give your problems, this is a good website for tank weakspots. Use the 3d Model and you can move the tank around and see how angling, height etc effect your ability to pen

Cheesehead1964 #38 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 00:24

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4645 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Won 1 out of 13 today. Getting really bad. Not really doing anything different.

In fact played many games as lower tier KV1 and got roll stomped. In several games upper tier heavies didn't move or went to stupid parts of the map. I can't lead the way.

Hard to be successful when that's happening.

OldFrog75 #39 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 01:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8109 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 17 2017 - 00:24, said:

Won 1 out of 13 today. Getting really bad. Not really doing anything different.

In fact played many games as lower tier KV1 and got roll stomped. In several games upper tier heavies didn't move or went to stupid parts of the map. I can't lead the way.

Hard to be successful when that's happening.

I posted a similar problem once and someone pointed out the game can appear streaky at times.  He suggested: changing tiers, changing tanks, or taking a break when the roll stomps get out of hand.  Don't know if it's valid but could be - kind of like playing red/black on a roulette wheel.  Expect it to be balanced but long streaks do occur and it's best not to try to Martingale your way out of it because you can go broke if the streak continues. 

Cheesehead1964 #40 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 02:00

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4645 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostOldFrog75, on Mar 17 2017 - 01:07, said:

I posted a similar problem once and someone pointed out the game can appear streaky at times.  He suggested: changing tiers, changing tanks, or taking a break when the roll stomps get out of hand.  Don't know if it's valid but could be - kind of like playing red/black on a roulette wheel.  Expect it to be balanced but long streaks do occur and it's best not to try to Martingale your way out of it because you can go broke if the streak continues. 

Yeah I was just reading your thread. I would actually advise you to move out of Tier III for many of the same reasons people are mentioning, but man, lately Tier V has been rough. I was kicking but for a while but the last 80 games have been horses&%t. I seriously wonder if something has changed with MM or something!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users