Event Discount St Patricks Day Four Leaf Clover Shamrock Ireland

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

9thDoctorWhooves #1 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 23:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9029 battles
  • [DSCRD] DSCRD

I was checking out the World of Tanks website to see what the news feed had to offer and was excited to see an article about St. Patrick's Day events and discounts. I clicked on the article and scrolled passed the ads for the premium German tanks (Would it have been to much to ask for a separate article?) and came across the Mission cleverly titled "Luck of the Irish". Being of Irish descent I'm always happy to see events for St. Patrick's Day, but my happiness was short lived when I noticed the award for completing the Mission:

That is clearly a Four Leaf Clover, not a Shamrock.

This is a Shamrock:

I know a lot you are thinking, "it's just a clover with four leaves instead of three, it's no big deal". But it is a big deal. I quote an article from IrelandCalling.com to help explain what the Shamrock means to Ireland. Here's a link to the original article: IrelandCalling.com Shamrock – National Flower of Ireland.

IrelandCalling.com

"The shamrock, a small clover which is now the national flower of Ireland, was an important symbol to the ancient Irish Druids as a plant naturally displaying the triad with its three heart-shaped leaves: The Celts believed that everything important in the world came in threes; the three dominions of earth, sky and sea, the three ages of man, and phases of the moon; so a plant with three leaves would have been held in high regard."

"St. Patrick also used the shamrock in his teaching: The shamrock was thought to have mystical properties and the ability to predict the weather; its leaves turn skyward when a storm is brewing.

It is believed that St Patrick, on seeing the importance of this small plant to the Druids, used the shamrock to illustrate the Christian teachings of the Holy Trinity, thus spreading the word of Christianity throughout the land in a way that appealed to its people. Many of the Druid high priests are thought to have converted to Christianity, becoming Bishops following St Patrick’s teachings."

"Ireland’s best known national symbol: The shamrock became a symbol of rebellion against the Crown in the 19th century and anyone caught wearing one, risked the hangman’s noose! Today it is Ireland’s most well know national symbol recognized throughout the world. It is used as a logo by many Irish companies and organisations such as Aer Lingus, and on the 17th of March the shamrock is displayed on anything from beer to bunting to over-large novelty hats as part of the St Patrick’s Day celebrations. In Celtic lore the shamrock has always been a charm against evil which relates to the modern belief in the four leaf clover as a good luck charm. Some believe the shamrock even has the power to break a leprechaun’s curse."

As you can see the Shamrock means a great deal to Ireland. To confuse it with the Four Leaf Clover as the symbol of St. Patrick's Day, or the symbol of Ireland, is a mistake that, frankly, I'm tired of seeing.

I know that most who read this will see this post as a rant, but I'm a quite proud of my heritage and hate to see a major symbol of Irish culture be misrepresented.  

Éirinn go Brách!

Ireland Forever!

Colonel_Chickenator #2 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 23:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 24429 battles
  • [GEMS] GEMS
BOOM! ROASTED.

Cutthroatlemur #3 Posted Mar 16 2017 - 23:50

Major

• Players
  • 17935 battles

All my +1s OP

being Irish by descent as well as a Patrick, this is near and dear to my heart

ShookYang #4 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 00:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8508 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE

Just putting this out there, from your own quote:

In Celtic lore the shamrock has always been a charm against evil which relates to the modern belief in the four leaf clover as a good luck charm.

No, they aren't the same, but modern usage has made them related to one another.

Edited by ShookYang, Mar 17 2017 - 00:03.

Sea_Star #5 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 00:08

Publication Project Manager

• -Players-
  • 655 battles

Our bad. :unsure:

Thank you for the correction and it has now been fixed. 

SenaKashiwazaki #6 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 00:15

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10799 battles
  • [4SAKN] 4SAKN
Hmmm. I learn something new every day...

9thDoctorWhooves #7 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 00:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9029 battles
  • [DSCRD] DSCRD

View PostSea_Star, on Mar 16 2017 - 15:08, said:

Thank you. :)

Cutthroatlemur #8 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 00:49

Major

• Players
  • 17935 battles

View PostSea_Star, on Mar 16 2017 - 15:08, said:

thanks WG!

you weren't the only one :)

ArmorStorm #9 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 01:19

Major

• Players
  • 32929 battles
  • [F__R] F__R
This is the kind of stupid oversight that angers players.  It costs WG nothing to get it right in the first place, just 5 minutes of research.  I'm glad they fixed it promptly.

Mudman24 #10 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 01:21

Major

• Players
  • 36166 battles

View PostCutthroatlemur, on Mar 16 2017 - 17:49, said:

thanks WG!

you weren't the only one:)

There was another incident today with an "Irish Proverb" but I may get banned for just saying that so I won't post it. 

Nonamanadus #11 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 01:34

Major

• Players
  • 24563 battles
  • [HBG] HBG
I'm going to mail some snakes to the island to bugger up St.Paddies work....

stevezaxx #12 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 02:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36228 battles
  • [COD] COD

View PostSea_Star, on Mar 16 2017 - 18:08, said:

The text has been changed to refer to the emblem you are giving away as a Quadrifoil.... that may be technically correct, but it does not really fix the PROBLEM.

The symbol of Ireland, and St Patrick, is a SHAMROCK... Let me put one of those on my tank, and THEN you can call it fixed.

_Gungrave_ #13 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 03:12

Major

• Players
  • 36647 battles
  • [JGRN] JGRN

View PostArmorStorm, on Mar 17 2017 - 01:19, said:

This is the kind of stupid oversight that angers players.  It costs WG nothing to get it right in the first place, just 5 minutes of research.  I'm glad they fixed it promptly.

Kind of sad really if you get angry over a simple oversight like this I mean in the US people grow up thinking any clover leaf can be called a shamrock due to St Patricks Day.

Only people I see getting pissed about this are those who are Irish.

Edited by _Gungrave_, Mar 17 2017 - 03:13.

9thDoctorWhooves #14 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 05:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9029 battles
  • [DSCRD] DSCRD

View Poststevezaxx, on Mar 16 2017 - 17:55, said:

The text has been changed to refer to the emblem you are giving away as a Quadrifoil.... that may be technically correct, but it does not really fix the PROBLEM.

The symbol of Ireland, and St Patrick, is a SHAMROCK... Let me put one of those on my tank, and THEN you can call it fixed.

I agree, the name is now correct, but they are still using it to symbolize St. Patrick's Day. So, they only fixed part of the issue. But, it's a start.   

9thDoctorWhooves #15 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 05:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9029 battles
  • [DSCRD] DSCRD

View Post_Gungrave_, on Mar 16 2017 - 18:12, said:

Um, well, yeah. The only people that will be bothered, in most cases, by the misuse or misrepresentation of a symbol are those that are represented by said symbol. So, I fail to see your point. 

Sturm_Teufel #16 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 05:22

Major

• Players
  • 41273 battles
  • [F0CUS] F0CUS

View Post9thDoctorWhooves, on Mar 16 2017 - 14:30, said:

I was checking out the World of Tanks website to see what the news feed had to offer and was excited to see an article about St. Patrick's Day events and discounts. I clicked on the article and scrolled passed the ads for the premium German tanks (Would it have been to much to ask for a separate article?) and came across the Mission cleverly titled "Luck of the Irish". Being of Irish descent I'm always happy to see events for St. Patrick's Day, but my happiness was short lived when I noticed the award for completing the Mission:

That is clearly a Four Leaf Clover, not a Shamrock.

This is a Shamrock:

I know a lot you are thinking, "it's just a clover with four leaves instead of three, it's no big deal". But it is a big deal. I quote an article from IrelandCalling.com to help explain what the Shamrock means to Ireland. Here's a link to the original article: IrelandCalling.com Shamrock – National Flower of Ireland.

As you can see the Shamrock means a great deal to Ireland. To confuse it with the Four Leaf Clover as the symbol of St. Patrick's Day, or the symbol of Ireland, is a mistake that, frankly, I'm tired of seeing.

I know that most who read this will see this post as a rant, but I'm a quite proud of my heritage and hate to see a major symbol of Irish culture be misrepresented.  

Éirinn go Brách!

Ireland Forever!

Amen brother! My mother's 1st language is Gaelic and she still has an accent.

_Gungrave_ #17 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 05:30

Major

• Players
  • 36647 battles
  • [JGRN] JGRN

View Post9thDoctorWhooves, on Mar 17 2017 - 05:21, said:

Um, well, yeah. The only people that will be bothered, in most cases, by the misuse or misrepresentation of a symbol are those that are represented by said symbol. So, I fail to see your point. 

You fail to see my point yet you actually explain it...logic fail

HI_FIVE #18 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 05:43

Major

• Players
  • 42578 battles
  • [FD_UP] FD_UP

View Post_Gungrave_, on Mar 16 2017 - 21:12, said:

Kind of sad really if you get angry over a simple oversight like this I mean in the US people grow up thinking any clover leaf can be called a shamrock due to St Patricks Day.

and? I am of irish decent as well and as far as i am concerned .... It is a big deal to us.

9thDoctorWhooves #19 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 07:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9029 battles
  • [DSCRD] DSCRD

View Post_Gungrave_, on Mar 16 2017 - 20:30, said:

You fail to see my point yet you actually explain it...logic fail

So, I'm not supposed to speak up when I see my Irish heritage being misrepresented because, only those who are of Irish heritage will care? Is that what you're saying?  

If those that are being misrepresented don't speak up, then who will? 

Blackstone #20 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 14:16

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9354 battles
  • [-AK-] -AK-

Ok, this was solved instantly. Great. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

But the ping spike issue has been going on for a week.

Glad WG priorities are straight.:sceptic:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users