• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Pipinghot #21 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:05

Major

• Players
  • 25838 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

Well yes, and that makes sense.

We are talking about a Tier VIII here, not a Tier II or III, this is a pretty significant tank. This game has lots of rewards that are available to players of every skill level, it has lots of rewards that you can earn simply by playing with no consideration of skill level or what tier tanks you have. It's only fair that some rewards can only be earned by skilled game play and by having played the game enough that you've progressed to higher tier tanks.

No one can get every reward, no one is entitled to everything that WoT offers. If you want to be eligible for something as significant as a Tier VIII Premium tank then you should expect that you'll have to meet more difficult requirements, nothing wrong with that.

newman8r42 #22 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25344 battles

View PostDoomslinger, on Mar 17 2017 - 15:56, said:

Hmmm. You know, this would be a good way to unlock tanks past tier 5. Have a certain requirement of missions to unlock them so people can't just bot up the tiers. It would force people to actually make some effort to play well instead of yolo bot grinding several tanks lines at the same time.

I think so too, but probably for different reasons. 

I would guess that you would like to see this change so that players who dont know how to play dont hamper their teams at tier 8. To this note i say that some people will never learn, and its not really fair to restrict which tanks they can play (provided they play enough to earn the exp required to get the tank) simply because they cant grasp the skill to be considered good at that tier. There are competitive game modes (basically every one outside of random battles) to fulfill the more skilled players who want better competition, and so let the randoms be for everyone to enjoy. 

I still would like to see this because as a player who was once a tomato, I found the game overwhelming with my first attempt at it and ended up taking a year break. I had bought a tier 8 prem too early (And back when mm was +3-3) and didnt understand the mechanics enough to do well. It was discouraging and I gave up on the game for a while. I think it would be healthier for players who havent yet grasped the mechanics and skills needed to succeed at higher tiers to have more time to learn at the learning tiers.

newman8r42 #23 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25344 battles

View PostDoomslinger, on Mar 17 2017 - 16:00, said:

Well, if you are going to get this done, do it before peak server usage hits so you can avoid the lag fest. I watched Anfield's stream from yesterday when he was on NA east trying to complete his T25 missions and it was super lagotastic. He was trying to get the missions done and it was messing him up so bad. He got them done and immediately transferred back over to the EU servers where there is no lag.

WG needs to fix this ASAP. It seems since the micropatch their servers have been constantly stuttering. I almost never have any real lag (just the occasional ping spike, not legit lag where my gun fires a second or 2 after i click or my shell goes 90 degrees outside the barrel while im turning my turret). 

xrays_ #24 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:09

Major

• Players
  • 43132 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View PostGalbeaza, on Mar 17 2017 - 11:03, said:

I expected this kind of answer: low-status players have to stay in low-tier battles.

I think you misunderstood what newman8r42 was actually saying... To paraphrase, he said that if you can't reasonably complete missions like today's then you probably shouldn't be driving Tier VIII's in the first place. I completely agree with this. And again, this is a free reward, it's not supposed to be "easy". They do want people to pay for a token or two, or just buy the tank outright like some fools have already done.

Also, there's nothing stopping you from completing these missions in Tier VI vehicles, which are totally capable of dealing 2k+ damage.

x.

Galbeaza #25 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:10

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9491 battles

View Postnewman8r42, on Mar 17 2017 - 11:01, said:

If you arent confident in your ability to do this mission, i personally would say this tank isnt for you. The t25 pilot is going to require a certain level of skill to do well in. It wouldnt be as easy to play as for example an is-6 or a kv-1. Its hull design and play style is very unforgiving if you make mistakes. 

I think its good for WG to make it a little difficult to get for players who've yet to grasp the skills required to do well in that tank. It provides incentive for players to get better at the game, and helps to protect players new to the game who may get overwhelmed with the skill cap at higher tiers.

Man, anybody can throws 40 bucks and buy this tank, without having any skill at all. This tank is in the shop, it is not something special only for special players. At least, players like me try to fight for it, doing missions. So, I think i will do better in a tank like this, than one with 200 battles who just bought it.

newman8r42 #26 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25344 battles

View PostGalbeaza, on Mar 17 2017 - 16:03, said:

I expected this kind of answer: low-status players have to stay in low-tier battles.

Look man, I have premium tier 8 tanks in my garage, so nothing stops me to play them, so nothing stops me, or others who bought tier 8 premiums, to be in high tier 8-10 battles. A golden rule in sports is that: to become a better player, you must play with better players than you!

I never once said "low-status players HAVE to stay at low tiers". What im trying to tell you is its not good for you to play against people who constantly stomp you before you have a chance to do anything because there isnt much to learn from this. Its easier to learn the game mechanics around tier 5 where more of the player base is closer to your skill level and you are capable of competing with them.

You do want to play WITH players better than you, that will help you learn. Playing AGAINST players who are a lot better than you however will be detrimental to both your and your teams experience. This is coming from someone who once was a poor player too. I left the game for a year and a half because of frustration with not doing well at the higher tiers. I wasnt able to enjoy the game again until i figured out that the issue was me. 

You're right, nothing stops you from buying a tier 8 prem or losing battles all the way to tier 8-10, but you arent helping yourself get better at the game. If you dont care to get better and just enjoy shooting tanks thats fine. I support players being able to enjoy the game as they see fit. However i still feel its a good move on WG to try to encourage players to learn the game at tier 5-6. Giving them a free tier 8 would not help them.

newman8r42 #27 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25344 battles

View PostPipinghot, on Mar 17 2017 - 16:05, said:

Well yes, and that makes sense.

We are talking about a Tier VIII here, not a Tier II or III, this is a pretty significant tank. This game has lots of rewards that are available to players of every skill level, it has lots of rewards that you can earn simply by playing with no consideration of skill level or what tier tanks you have. It's only fair that some rewards can only be earned by skilled game play and by having played the game enough that you've progressed to higher tier tanks.

No one can get every reward, no one is entitled to everything that WoT offers. If you want to be eligible for something as significant as a Tier VIII Premium tank then you should expect that you'll have to meet more difficult requirements, nothing wrong with that.

1000 upvotes.

CapPhrases #28 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:14

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6327 battles
  • [TXV] TXV
honestly i would have preffered them releasing the whole list at once rather than finding out each day at a time. if the missions keep going like this then i'm not gonna earn this tank with my skill level. which is probably for the best since tier 8 is not a comfortable tier for me and if i'm gonna get an american med trainer i'll be better off waiting for the upcoming thunderbolt VII

HOTA_CHATON #29 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:15

Major

• Players
  • 12199 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View PostGalbeaza, on Mar 17 2017 - 09:34, said:

Play 10 battles having dealt at least 2,000 damage to enemy vehicles in each.

That's it! If the difficulty level of the missions rise exponentially like this, I think here end my "quest" for a free tier 8 American medium tank.

It seems only high-status players have the opportunity to grab a free tier 8 tank. For players like me, this is an impossible dream. If I want it, I have to pay for it.

To do "at least" 2000 damage, I have to play high tier tanks, with high alpha damage or high DPM, which means I have to be the orange player between yellows, greens, blues and purples. In games like this, with my experience level, I very seldom did more then 2000 damage before I was massacred by the high-status players.

If it was 2000 damage in 5 battles, maybe I have sacrificed my day for this, but 10 battles? No way! I have more chances to see an UFO then to do this mission!

So, no free soup for plebs like me!

Just finish the grind to the T20 and viola, you close enough or, you can also choose the T21.  Both of them lead to some good tanks too.

newman8r42 #30 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25344 battles

View PostGalbeaza, on Mar 17 2017 - 16:10, said:

Man, anybody can throws 40 bucks and buy this tank, without having any skill at all. This tank is in the shop, it is not something special only for special players. At least, players like me try to fight for it, doing missions. So, I think i will do better in a tank like this, than one with 200 battles who just bought it.

Doing better and doing well are completely different. WG is a company who wants to make money, so offering to sell it helps them achieve this. You don't seem interested in just buying the tank outright, and WG shouldnt just hand you one of the highest end prem tanks in the game. You either EARN it through missions that actually require some effort, or they'll let you have it for some money like any other prem tank, which then goes to support development of the game. 

Galbeaza #31 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:17

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9491 battles

View Postxrays_, on Mar 17 2017 - 11:09, said:

if you can't reasonably complete missions like today's then you probably shouldn't be driving Tier VIII's in the first place. I completely agree with this. And again, this is a free reward, it's not supposed to be "easy". They do want people to pay for a token or two, or just buy the tank outright like some fools have already done.

I know it is not supposed to be easy, but I didn't expect to become so hard for players like me so early!

And, like I said before, only playing with better players than you, you may become better. For example, I rule in my Churchill III and I can improve my status a lot only playing this tank, but I must play my tier 8 and 9 tanks in tier 8-10 battles to become better in high tier battles.

newman8r42 #32 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25344 battles

View PostCapPhrases, on Mar 17 2017 - 16:14, said:

honestly i would have preffered them releasing the whole list at once rather than finding out each day at a time. if the missions keep going like this then i'm not gonna earn this tank with my skill level. which is probably for the best since tier 8 is not a comfortable tier for me and if i'm gonna get an american med trainer i'll be better off waiting for the upcoming thunderbolt VII

You have a good understanding of your situation. I fully support your healthy attitude towards how your skill level is progressing. 

You're recent wn8 is showing lots of promise and it shouldnt be too long before you're comfortable in tier 8s. 

This is the point i've been trying to make in this post. It is more rewarding both for entertainment and for outcome of exp and creds for a player to play prem tanks that fit their skill level. 

It wouldve been nice to have the full list of missions, but at the same time i do like that WG is making attempts to make each of these events feel a little different.

Zabr0 #33 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24409 battles
  • [CHLLN] CHLLN
More than likely if you cant do these missions you probably should.not have a high tier tank IMO

Galbeaza #34 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:24

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9491 battles

View Postnewman8r42, on Mar 17 2017 - 11:13, said:

You do want to play WITH players better than you, that will help you learn. Playing AGAINST players who are a lot better than you however will be detrimental to both your and your teams experience.

No man, I don't agree. Playing AGAINST make you better, because you will learn from your mistakes and you will see what a better player do to win.

CapPhrases #35 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:24

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6327 battles
  • [TXV] TXV

View Postnewman8r42, on Mar 17 2017 - 11:19, said:

You have a good understanding of your situation. I fully support your healthy attitude towards how your skill level is progressing. 

You're recent wn8 is showing lots of promise and it shouldnt be too long before you're comfortable in tier 8s. 

This is the point i've been trying to make in this post. It is more rewarding both for entertainment and for outcome of exp and creds for a player to play prem tanks that fit their skill level. 

It wouldve been nice to have the full list of missions, but at the same time i do like that WG is making attempts to make each of these events feel a little different.

that was probably one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me.

newman8r42 #36 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25344 battles

View PostGalbeaza, on Mar 17 2017 - 16:24, said:

No man, I don't agree. Playing AGAINST make you better, because you will learn from your mistakes and you will see what a better player do to win.

Maybe if you decide to watch the game after you die. Repeatedly dying early because you are outplayed and then returning to garage to repeat will not be an effective learning strategy. You will learn much faster platooning with a skilled player in tanks of a tier you are more comfortable in and working your way up. Watching a Live streamer or youtuber who is of a higher skill level helps also.

Trust me, as someone who has worked his way up (to some extent) and experienced the frustration of not having the right skills, I have a pretty good idea of what im talking about. 

newman8r42 #37 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25344 battles

View PostCapPhrases, on Mar 17 2017 - 16:24, said:

that was probably one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me.

One of my biggest pet peeves with WoT is the generally toxic player environment. I hate that i have to expect a lot of skilled players to just be jerks to those who arent as good as them. It takes away from the fun of the game.

Just know that there are some of us out there on the battlefield who aren't complete jerks and want to help others to get better in a positive way! :D

RSH427R #38 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42618 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

Play your skorpion G, land 5 shots per game = mission done rather quickly (two hours tops)

You don't need to get all 13 done, heck you can even skip 2 days and still not have to reach for your wallet.  Even if you have to buy a token or 3, you end up getting a solid tier 8 premium for the price of a couple cups of coffee.  For the amount of enjoyment you will get out of the tank, I think that is a very good deal.

Is it fair?  I think so.  Is it fair for everyone?  Nope, and it should not be.

It takes some effort on the player's part and at the end you are rewarded for your effort.

Galbeaza #39 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:39

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9491 battles

View PostRSH427R, on Mar 17 2017 - 11:34, said:

Play your skorpion G, land 5 shots per game = mission done rather quickly (two hours tops)

You don't need to get all 13 done, heck you can even skip 2 days and still not have to reach for your wallet.  Even if you have to buy a token or 3, you end up getting a solid tier 8 premium for the price of a couple cups of coffee.  For the amount of enjoyment you will get out of the tank, I think that is a very good deal.

Is it fair?  I think so.  Is it fair for everyone?  Nope, and it should not be.

It takes some effort on the player's part and at the end you are rewarded for your effort.

That's what I thought to try: playing Skorpion G and/or Defender, shooting gold ammo to be sure it will penetrate.

About doing 13 from 15: if this mission is hard and almost impossible to do for players like me, then the future missions will be harder, not easier.

Edited by Galbeaza, Mar 17 2017 - 17:40.

DBrimstone #40 Posted Mar 17 2017 - 17:40

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 16701 battles

View Postnewman8r42, on Mar 17 2017 - 08:58, said:

good?

As OP said he finds that the higher tiers, where there is a higher concentration of more skilled players, is a large factor of why this would be difficult. Well the reward is a tank that would pit them against the higher skilled opponents. I dont imagine the less skilled player base would enjoy the tank irregardless because it will be very unforgiving with its terrible hull armor. 

The average player (server avg wn8 is like 800 last i looked) would struggle to do well in this tank anyways. Does it not make sense to have the mission difficulty represent the kind of battles that would be considered good in said reward tank, This way proving that you are capable of playing the vehicle well enough for it to be a rewarding tank to drive?

From a player standpoint I agree with you completely. From a business standpoint though you want people to feel like they're getting a good deal but still fork over cash for a mediocre product. Thinking of this from a WG perspective, I thought they'd lead the average player along for another couple days. After this weekend make it impossible to finish so people have like 6-7 tickets and say "well it'll only cost me 17.50 I might as well"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users