Did you know this about the actor Dale Robertson?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

NiteDog #1 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 15:56

Major

• Players
  • 25223 battles
  • [CRTL2] CRTL2

I could not post a biographical video of Dale Robertson, so the picture image will have to do:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/11/de/a4/11dea4e9e10d3055148012538dce8f46.jpg

In 1942, Dale Robertson entered as a Private in the Horse Cavalry where he served until 1945. He also joined the military as a tank commander in the 777th Battalion in North Africa and he was promoted to first Lieutenant with 332ng Combat Engineers in the third Army of Patton. As an actor, he is best known for his roles in the television series entitled Dynasty & Dallas.

Robertson entered the U.S. Army during World War II. After stateside training he served as a tank commander in the 777th Tank Battalion in the North African campaign. He was standing in the hatch when his tank was hit by enemy fire. His tank crew were killed, but he was blown out of the hatch and survived with shrapnel wounds to his lower legs, the scars of which he still bears. Fully recovered, he went on to serve with the 322nd Combat Engineer Battalion during the European campaign. He was wounded a second time, this one in the right knee during a mortar attack. Again he made a complete recovery.

He was awarded the Bronze and Silver stars and a Purple Heart

Lethalhavoc #2 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 16:10

Major

• Players
  • 37927 battles

No I didn't know anything about him until you made this post.

It seems to be a trait of the greatest generation, that they did things like that, and didn't make a big deal out of it.

I was really surprised to find out Russell Johnson (the professor from Gilligan's island) served in WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Johnson

After graduating from high school, Johnson enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces as an aviation cadet. On completing his training, he was commissioned a second lieutenant. He flew 44 combat missions in the Pacific Theater during World War II as a bombardier in B-25 twin-engined medium bombers.

On March 4, 1945, while flying as a navigator in a B-25 with the 100th Bombardment Squadron, 42nd Bombardment Group, 13th Air Force, his B-25 and two others were shot down during a low-level bombing and strafing run against Japanese military targets in the Philippine Islands. The B-25s encountered heavy anti-aircraft fire and all three had to ditch in the sea off Zamboanga. Johnson broke both ankles in the landing, and his bomber's co-pilot was killed. Johnson received a Purple Heart for his injuries. He was also awarded the Air Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with three campaign stars, the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one campaign star, and the World War II Victory Medal.

After Japan's surrender, Johnson was honorably discharged as a first lieutenant on November 22, 1945. He joined the United States Air Force Reserve and used the G.I. Bill to pay for his acting studies at the Actors' Lab in Hollywood.[1] While there, he met actress Kay Cousins (1923-1980), whom he married in 1949.

NiteDog #3 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 16:16

Major

• Players
  • 25223 battles
  • [CRTL2] CRTL2

View PostLethalhavoc, on Mar 18 2017 - 07:10, said:

No I didn't know anything about him until you made this post.

It seems to be a trait of the greatest generation, that they did things like that, and didn't make a big deal out of it.

I was really surprised to find out Russell Johnson (the professor from Gilligan's island) served in WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Johnson

After graduating from high school, Johnson enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces as an aviation cadet. On completing his training, he was commissioned a second lieutenant. He flew 44 combat missions in the Pacific Theater during World War II as a bombardier in B-25 twin-engined medium bombers.

On March 4, 1945, while flying as a navigator in a B-25 with the 100th Bombardment Squadron, 42nd Bombardment Group, 13th Air Force, his B-25 and two others were shot down during a low-level bombing and strafing run against Japanese military targets in the Philippine Islands. The B-25s encountered heavy anti-aircraft fire and all three had to ditch in the sea off Zamboanga. Johnson broke both ankles in the landing, and his bomber's co-pilot was killed. Johnson received a Purple Heart for his injuries. He was also awarded the Air Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with three campaign stars, the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one campaign star, and the World War II Victory Medal.

After Japan's surrender, Johnson was honorably discharged as a first lieutenant on November 22, 1945. He joined the United States Air Force Reserve and used the G.I. Bill to pay for his acting studies at the Actors' Lab in Hollywood.[1] While there, he met actress Kay Cousins (1923-1980), whom he married in 1949.

Like my previous thread about Steve McQueen, Dale Robertson was somewhat of a Hot-Head, although more predictable than McQueen, especially on the movie set. And, his military service is distinguishable from McQueens, in that he served in combat and was awarded medals for his service. Glad you liked it Lethal.

455_hero #4 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 16:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18620 battles
  • [RAJ] RAJ

View PostNiteDog, on Mar 18 2017 - 09:56, said:

I could not post a biographical video of Dale Robertson, so the picture image will have to do:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/11/de/a4/11dea4e9e10d3055148012538dce8f46.jpg

In 1942, Dale Robertson entered as a Private in the Horse Cavalry where he served until 1945. He also joined the military as a tank commander in the 777th Battalion in North Africa and he was promoted to first Lieutenant with 332ng Combat Engineers in the third Army of Patton. As an actor, he is best known for his roles in the television series entitled Dynasty & Dallas.

Robertson entered the U.S. Army during World War II. After stateside training he served as a tank commander in the 777th Tank Battalion in the North African campaign. He was standing in the hatch when his tank was hit by enemy fire. His tank crew were killed, but he was blown out of the hatch and survived with shrapnel wounds to his lower legs, the scars of which he still bears. Fully recovered, he went on to serve with the 322nd Combat Engineer Battalion during the European campaign. He was wounded a second time, this one in the right knee during a mortar attack. Again he made a complete recovery.

He was awarded the Bronze and Silver stars and a Purple Heart

​Still watch "Tales of Wells Fargo" every day.

NiteDog #5 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 16:38

Major

• Players
  • 25223 battles
  • [CRTL2] CRTL2

View Post455_hero, on Mar 18 2017 - 07:32, said:

​Still watch "Tales of Wells Fargo" every day.

Yeah, I grew up watching all those Westerns. It was one of my favorite western TV series.

455_hero #6 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 16:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18620 battles
  • [RAJ] RAJ

View PostNiteDog, on Mar 18 2017 - 10:38, said:

Yeah, I grew up watching all those Westerns. It was one of my favorite western TV series.

​Me too. We're dating ourselves Nitedog! But those old westerns are still on every day on Starz encore westerns.

NiteDog #7 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 16:45

Major

• Players
  • 25223 battles
  • [CRTL2] CRTL2

View Post455_hero, on Mar 18 2017 - 07:40, said:

​Me too. We're dating ourselves Nitedog! But those old westerns are still on every day on Starz encore westerns.

I have a HD filled with Westerns. :confused:

moon111 #8 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 17:22

Captain

• Players
  • 25373 battles

The late Sir Christopher Lee volunteered to help Finland in the Winter War.  Joined the Royal Air Force, but was eliminated as a pilot when an optic nerve issue was discovered.  Tracked down Nazi war criminals.

Ended up being in the precursors of the SAS.  Etc.

dmckay #9 Posted Mar 18 2017 - 17:35

Major

• Players
  • 12124 battles

View PostNiteDog, on Mar 18 2017 - 10:38, said:

I don't know a lot about it but Gun Smoke's James Arness was badly wounded in the leg.  I believe it was in Italy. If you watch reruns of that series you can detect he walked with a slight limp. Of course most know that James Stewart was a B-24 pilot in Europe and completed 25 missions. I believe it was 25.  Not far from where I live is the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio.  They have his A-2 leather Army Air Corps flight jacket.  He is right at the top of my favorite actors list.

Edited by dmckay, Mar 18 2017 - 17:39.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users