Skorpion G Help(Needs tips and tricks).

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Ishi_Atomic #1 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 06:22

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4215 battles

Hello everyone!,

I recently purchased the Skorpion G and as you could probably guess by the topic I'm not fairing well with it. I'm having a hard time actually being able to get a feel for the tank. I have a 100% crew as well as a rammer, binocs, and camo net on it. My crew skills consist of sixth sense on my commander, concealment on both my loader and gunner, as well as situational awareness on my radio man. My commander also has his 2nd skill which is camo(training right now). I know this tank has the potential to do massive amounts of damage, however, my average damage with the tank is super low. I normally manage around 800 damage a match and most matches I don't even hit that. I've had maybe 5 matches that I've gotten over that and never exceeded the 2k mark with exception to 1 match. 

I was wondering if I could get some tips and tricks on how to properly play this tank.

Suggestions I'm looking for:

1. General strategy for properly playing this superbeast of a tank

2. What Crew Skills should I be using on my tank

3. Proper equipment, or is what I'm using now the normal setup for a Skorpion G

Anything else outside of those things would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to check out my post! Happy tanking!!

Regards, 

Zet

P.S I've attached to this post a screenshot of my Skorpion G's stats. 

Attached Files

• Attached File   Skorp G.png   266.67K

Scorpiany #2 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 06:24

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 29397 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

Here's a link to the guide I wrote on the Skorpion G upon its release. It should answer all of your questions and more.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/509570-★-rheinmetall-skorpion-g-review-the-venomous-assassin-★/

PanzerGruppenstaffe #3 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 06:46

Captain

• Players
  • 40931 battles

Hey Zet,

What Scorp doesn't cover in his guide and is more pertinent to you, a player with 3300 games, is that you really don't have the experience to play the tank effectively, and T9-T10 games punish mistakes severely. Playing a T8 TD you have really no HP to trade with tanks that have 3-4 times as much that you have to kill (ie Maus).

So, it is gonna come down to map knowledge, map knowledge, map knowledge in that order. You have to be crafty and know where to get your shots and be safe in return. Know the hotspots and the TD positions that overlook them... And basically play the tank like you are one shot from death at all times, but still be aggressive flexing to get shots. And if you aren't getting shots MOVE, the tank has more than enough speed to flex around the battlefield.

Map knowledge (takes time) is gonna allow you to learn positions and recognize new ones to use your gun depression as much as possible to avoid getting shot. Once you know your favorites for early damage and get more familiar with the tank you will immediately gravitate to such positions that hide most of your hull. That is going to be key to staying alive and practice with that tank is going to make all the difference for using gun depression to stay safer.

Rather than rammer for your equip you might also consider a Gun Laying Drive and focus on the gunnery skills for your crew soon. Shorter aim time and improved gun handling also minimizes time exposed.

Watching the better streamers (Zeven in particular) on Twitch will help you with positioning tips on certain maps too.

Edited by PanzerGruppenstaffe, Mar 19 2017 - 07:14.

GrEaSe_WhEeL #4 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 10:19

Sergeant

• Players
  • 39142 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO
Always gld,rammer for any tank and for the 3rd i have binocs for the scorpion.For crew 6th,snap shot,clutch breaking,situational awareness for 2nd skill/perk i'm going for camo.You would be better off watching some video's but i would say here to find a bush and or sit behind a group of tanks further back and use your gun,when enemy is down move to the next spot a.s.a.p and repeat.The tanks speed is very valuable to use.good luck

TankFullOfBourbon #5 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 12:20

Major

• Players
  • 20437 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

It's not the equipment that will make you master this tank. It's how you play it.

The tank has two things going for it. 1) the gun and 2) the speed. The camo is pretty bad, it takes turns badly, the armor is paper. So how do you excel the positives and minimize the negatives?

Race fast like hell to a good bush mid-ways to the front/chokepoint/battleground. Sit in bush, wait for tank to be lit, back off so the bush covers visibility and the tank is outlined in red. Shoot tank. When visibility of tank is lost, move up again to bush to regain view. This requires map knowledge and understanding of how the camo mechanics work. 

Or, if there are no good bushes for you to play the hiding game, play it like a supporting heavy behind the big boys. Take protection behind a wall/rock/building/hill and poke out to peek-a-boom when the enemy tank is busy. Expect to take hits, so always check how much damage you can take to stay plus. Remember, trading damage is only worth it if you are making more damage than you are getting. This requires that you know the tanks you are up against, how long their reload time is and how much damage they pack in a shot.

It's a great tank but you need to play it with its' disadvantages in mind. GL.

PanzerGruppenstaffe #6 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 01:21

Captain

• Players
  • 40931 battles

Also, key ability: There is a game option for you to know your actual view range, max possible view range (spotting range) and draw distance. 

In a perfect world you are sniping at max draw distance (it is impossible for you to be spotted because you are outside max spotting range, but you can see tanks spotted by others inside the max draw range.

Nearly every map has sniping positions that allow you to shoot and never be seen (as well as learning to exploit bushes as above). Exploit this to stay alive longer.

Gothraul #7 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 01:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 1526 battles

Your biggest problem is that overall you are a 44% player so naturally you are going to have some real problems with tier 8s, some tier 8s are not easy at all to play and it does take some level of skill do ok. The good news though that it is still easy to fix that win rate since you only have 3k battles vs the hordes that "play4fun" with similar or worse stats with tens of thousands of battles.

Get someone to help you out and it would be even better if one of those mid level clans took you in and got you up to speed.

murdockwan #8 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 15:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20572 battles

As stated above, equipment, skills is secondary. You don't (yet) know game flow and that's probably what's getting you killed (i.e. being the hunted, instead of the hunter).

IMO best way for you to output your damage greatly is to toon with people who know what they are doing. Ask on this forums, on reddit adoption thread, and even in randoms after battle via direct message and ask for platoon+help. You might get a few insults, many silences, and eventually some helpful tankers that are happy to assist less skilled (and/or) new players. Having someone correct your mistakes in realtime (TS / ingame voice or text chat) is valuable for quick(er) progress.

View PostGrEaSe_WhEeL, on Mar 19 2017 - 09:19, said:

Always gld,rammer for any tank and for the 3rd i have binocs for the scorpion.<snip>

On another note, this one above is bad advice and should be discarded (like most generalizations).

What you should instead do is this: pick a tank, and google for the following keywords (e.g. for T-54):  stats & data site:vbaddict.net t-54

The first link on these search terms will take you to a statistics site, from there, you can see what most players (users of this site) is using. 

Simply copy their setup as your starting point and if necessary, adapt as per additional research.

In this case you will see rammer+vstab+optics is what people use (instead of GLD as suggested in the bad advice above).

---

EDIT: just to be crystal clear, the advice above is in fact accurate in terms of equipment slots for SkorpG - I'm criticizing the "always these two for any tank" bit which is wrong.

Edited by murdockwan, Mar 21 2017 - 16:14.

sansjoy #9 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 16:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17291 battles

I run rammer, net and optics.  With all soft snipers, you need to find a couple bushes to hide BEHIND, not in, and wait.  Patience is the key with most TD.  Watch videos, not necessarily to see what they do, but where they go.  A good sniping spot is the key.  Also, don't wait for 6th sense to go off.  After you shoot, move back behind hard cover.  The Skorpion is a high damage, but soft target for enemy counter snipers.  Once the battle has turned, and most of the enemy team has been spotted, then you can get on the move.

Again, be patient . . .  and hope you don't get a city map.

memegene #10 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 20:06

Captain

• Players
  • 27203 battles
  • [REL2] REL2

The key to this game is team composition vs map knowledge and situational awareness. 

comp vs map:

during to the count down you have to understand what impact each teams composition will have on its deployment and its likely hood of success on each flank. 

situational awareness:

during the game every 30secs reevaluate comp vs map and come to a new conclusion. 

Understand how your tank can impact the match within the confines above and you will have success. If you do not have a basic understanding of these concepts it wont matter whether you have a 50% crew or a 5 skill crew, vstab or gld. 

Four tankers and a dog has a youtube series that compares vents, gld and vstab and real life impact. 

GrEaSe_WhEeL #11 Posted Mar 26 2017 - 19:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 39142 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

View Postmurdockwan, on Mar 21 2017 - 06:49, said:

As stated above, equipment, skills is secondary. You don't (yet) know game flow and that's probably what's getting you killed (i.e. being the hunted, instead of the hunter).

IMO best way for you to output your damage greatly is to toon with people who know what they are doing. Ask on this forums, on reddit adoption thread, and even in randoms after battle via direct message and ask for platoon+help. You might get a few insults, many silences, and eventually some helpful tankers that are happy to assist less skilled (and/or) new players. Having someone correct your mistakes in realtime (TS / ingame voice or text chat) is valuable for quick(er) progress.

On another note, this one above is bad advice and should be discarded (like most generalizations).

What you should instead do is this: pick a tank, and google for the following keywords (e.g. for T-54):  stats & data site:vbaddict.net t-54

The first link on these search terms will take you to a statistics site, from there, you can see what most players (users of this site) is using. 

Simply copy their setup as your starting point and if necessary, adapt as per additional research.

In this case you will see rammer+vstab+optics is what people use (instead of GLD as suggested in the bad advice above).

---

EDIT: just to be crystal clear, the advice above is in fact accurate in terms of equipment slots for SkorpG - I'm criticizing the "always these two for any tank" bit which is wrong.

Ya my fault,i meant for this specific tank other wise i choose v-stabs over gld and you can you don't have to use rammer for a tank with good aim time if other equipment is more viable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users