Mod Suggestions?

mods

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

LexxMontreal #1 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 19:03

Private

• -Players-
  • 7152 battles
Are clown mods legal to use? I saw them on YouTube, but they do not appear to be on Curse, which I figure there must be a reason for. I mean mods which show weak spots on tanks, since I am bouncing easily 99.999% of shots I take, front, back, side, I figure those might help me learn where to shoot to have some effect.

Also open to suggestions of any other mods, among other things I'd prefer female voice for notifications if there is mod for that.

jraptor02 #2 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 19:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 20669 battles
  • [CHAI] CHAI

Who needs mods?

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Aiming

LexxMontreal #3 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 19:23

Private

• -Players-
  • 7152 battles
By that measure who needs Postal Service as you can go deliver anything you like in person. Perhaps you have eagle eye vision and photographic memory and can memorize every possible spot, I do not, and I know literally nothing about tanks, so I'd find mods making getting used to mechanics while playing much more fun then reading about it outside of game.

Nudnick #4 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 19:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 17777 battles
They made those mods illegal.

LexxMontreal #5 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 19:35

Private

• -Players-
  • 7152 battles

View PostNudnick, on Mar 19 2017 - 19:32, said:

They made those mods illegal.

Do you have link from official source backing that statement?

I found this:

http://worldoftanks....forbidden-mods/

And according to it, they would not be illegal.

AudieBoy #6 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 21:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11209 battles
  • [MAR4L] MAR4L

Do yourself a favor and learn to play the game Vanilla, without Mods, and without XVM. If you do, you will never have to worry about any mod being illegal, and you will not be distracted by the color of someone's stats.

sansjoy #7 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 16:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17291 battles

Wouldn't using a hit skin mod be a great learning tool?  Much better than trial and error, and probably quicker than watching hours of youtube.

No, I think using hit skins is a great way to learn weak spots.

the_Deadly_Bulb #8 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 19:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16556 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Hit skins are like coloured keys on a piano. Some find it an easier way to learn to play, others prefer to just learn the KB. Soon the people who learned the KB can play without looking at the keys. The ones who use the colours are still looking for what colours to hit for a while longer while they build muscle memory. I think its the same with tanks. Learn where to hit the opponent, not what colour to shoot at.

I wouldn't recommend hit skins to anyone. Soon enough they may be ruled illegal in the Fair Play Policy (if WG ever gets their version of amour modelling in the garage) so its probably best to not become dependant on this type of in battle mod.

They're also ugly and make the game look like a gong show IMO.

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Mar 21 2017 - 19:28.

Lurus #9 Posted Mar 23 2017 - 04:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 9789 battles
  • [BURNS] BURNS

View Postsansjoy, on Mar 21 2017 - 08:08, said:

Wouldn't using a hit skin mod be a great learning tool?  Much better than trial and error, and probably quicker than watching hours of youtube.

Surely one could figure out weak spots ect... without hours of youtube. There are sites for things like tanks.gg and others for viewing tank armor profiles, stats,  ect... as well as things like the forum here to ask for assistance. There are a lot of more experienced and knowledgeable people here who can advise on how to deal with a situation or tank you might be having trouble dealing with.

Generally some similar weak spots appear on a lot of tanks and some lines also have similar enough profiles so don't need to memorize all the tank profiles. That would be crazy for someone to do though I am sure some people have them all down.

If someone finds themselves having trouble with a specific tank that they have maybe never encountered or just cant seem to penetrate then look at that tanks profile and maybe ask other more knowledgeable players to view the replay as they might be able to identity something like why you might be bouncing that tank so much that would not be noticed by your own eye.

That said I HIGHLY recommend replay recordings for new players because even viewing your own replays you can usually see things in your own replay that you never caught in the heat of battle and it can also be useful when for asking for help/advice.

Everyone has run into situations where they didn't know how to handle it and its to be expected as a new player even if people expect you to be above it. Its how you take that situation and learn from it and to deal with it that certainly helps to separate the skill level of players. 

One might think a hit skin would be beneficial to a beginner but I am in the camp that its better to learn by struggling and asking for help and doing research then applying a skin.

Reasons include: 

Use of a hit skin is a risk as you will be out of luck if they do get banned and you had become reliant on them. 
What about when the new updates come out and you cant use the mod because its not updated even?

Plus learning through not using a hit skin the game becomes more of a muscle memory and can boost your own reaction and confidence next time you run across the situation or tank again.

Rather then trying to look at the hit skin you just know alright this is a [insert tank] and you can face it with more confidence and understanding about how to deal with it and probably faster then relying on needing to see the skin.  

It becomes more instinctual then needing to see the skin for a guide. 

Plus even with the skin its not a guarantee since there are other things that a skin can't take into account like penetration values and angles so its better in my opinion to learn via trial and error and researching then just applying a hit skin and hitting the battlefields. 

Edited by Lurus, Mar 23 2017 - 04:20.

ff8ff8 #10 Posted Mar 23 2017 - 07:39

Captain

• Players
  • 16976 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
Generally weakspots are the same locations on all tanks, with some exceptions that you'll find mainly at higher tiers.

Commander hatches, driver hatches, any vision port on the front of the tank basically, lower front plates, drive wheels.

zed2204 #11 Posted Mar 23 2017 - 08:49

Captain

• -Players-
  • 33451 battles
  • [LIO] LIO

View Postsansjoy, on Mar 21 2017 - 16:08, said:

It is ,that is the problem with it, a big part of being good at this game is knowing where to hit what

I don't think hitskins are illegal on NA ( but check that I am not sure), the dynamic penetration models are very, verry illegal

But they give advantage, knowledge is power in WOT

Patonb #12 Posted Mar 23 2017 - 13:56

Major

• Players
  • 26205 battles

View PostLexxMontreal, on Mar 19 2017 - 13:35, said:

Do you have link from official source backing that statement?

I found this:

http://worldoftanks....forbidden-mods/

And according to it, they would not be illegal.

Hit skins are fine, Hit models are banned. The models change the tank to show internal stuff.

At ~2k games I'd say give them a try. You'll find they do not help much while battling. I found the best use was during count down where I could check out the tanks around me.

After a while you'll see definite patterns of weak points and you'll not need them.

My method now is when I get screwed over I go to tanks.gg and look at the tank I had issues with.

Edited by Patonb, Mar 23 2017 - 13:57.

Also tagged with mods

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users