How many times must I lose?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Blucraft #41 Posted Mar 22 2017 - 19:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7697 battles

Short answer...a lot.  This is a complicated game with a bunch of moving parts. You're going to have to work at getting better, which will involve playing a lot of matches. I honestly didn't really start to understand how this game works until I was about 2K games in.  

-Blu

TankFullOfBourbon #42 Posted Mar 22 2017 - 21:03

Major

• Players
  • 21073 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostBall_Turret, on Mar 19 2017 - 19:21, said:

Of the recent match loses that keep growing more and more I have to ask when will the game start giving matches I can have a some what higher chance in winning? I'm tired of the +2 tier spread where I'm ALWAYS the bottom tier tank constantly facing more tier 5s and 6s than I would like and worst of all I'm tired of getting worthless team mates who fail to dish enough damage or simply don't know how to use their tank properly especially if their the high tier tanks on my team. This game will never give a chance to improve and learn from my mistakes since I get lemmings and tomatoes as teammates who end up getting clubbed by the enemy it seems the mm always puts me on the losing team more frequently then a winning team depending on team and tank structure how far must I fall to actually start enjoy this so called balanced game?

If you have 22 comments on this forum at 229 games you seem to be more interested in talking about the game than actually play it. My advise to you is: play it. Don't think stats, colors, anything. Kill the red tanks.

Gray_Rider_CSA #43 Posted Mar 23 2017 - 03:21

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2396 battles
I agree with you Ball Turret.....I get creamed quite a lot by experienced seal clubbers. These guys can't hack fighting the higher tier battles, so they drop down to the low tier II,III,IV and V just so they can make themselves feel big. They are going to say some nasty things and rude remarks about this because they know what I say is true. Well let them....Truth is truth and they simply can't handle it !!!! WG needs to rectify the game by not allowing these [edited]from taking advantage of less skilled players. I doubt if WG will do anything because all one has to do is open another account and go about their business. I call these guys COWARDS!!!! So go ahead COWARDS respond to my remarks.....just try to use something original besides crybaby, whiner, loser, wha wha wha. You pathetic dopes!!!

GaiusMaximus010 #44 Posted Mar 23 2017 - 04:11

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1660 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Mar 22 2017 - 07:14, said:

Warning!  Not for the Faint of Heart! To those of more determined minds, I believe you will find this useful.

Honestly, I am playing an MS-1 (T1), AT-1, T-26, SU-18 (T2) and LTP (Prem T3) Russians, the Strv fm/21 (T1) and the L60 (Prem T2) Swedish units.  All of these are sucky to play, imo.  That said, I am determined to do my best and sucky or not, I gotta make them do what I want.

My experience is only really in terms of number of matches.  That said, I had a sort of 'epiphany' on my playing at around 6800 matches, where I was at about 48.23% Steady and Overall WR.  Since then, my Overall WR has steadily trended upwards and my general recents are usually around 56% or so lately.  I think the biggest change was that I decided I was going to focus on playing and not blame anyone else or anything else for my performance.

As I was going through that shift in perspective, I changed the way I play very markedly.  Suddenly I felt like, because I wasn't triggered into 'trying to get' something to occur before I started playing, I was calmer and more alert.  I wish I could have played like that when I first started this game.

So, in any case, I am basically a contrarian player suggesting new players take longer playing their sucky low tier units and get past the desire to rush up to tier 5 'where the game can be learned.'  The truth is all the mechanics work the same way at those tiers as they do at the top tiers.  As I am suggesting a contrary course of action, I know that my advice might be deemed 'unsound,' to put it politely.  I will please ask anyone to examine my stat history and see where I had my "sea change" of attitude and perception at I think it was 6685 matches or so.  You can check it out on VBAddict, WoTLabs in finer detail than here.

I don't claim magic status or 'great player' status, not by a long shot.  That said, if you look at the difference from then till now and see the trend, recognize that it is EXACTLY THIS CONTRARIAN VIEW that got me there.  I think that should speak clearly to any player that would prefer proof over my opinion.

So, if I were to advise beyond spend more time in lower tiers and longer on each unit, even well past 'useful' research points, it would be to look at tiers 1 through 5 as the Beginners to Intermediates on the 'slopes' of WoT.  For a while, learn to get the feel on the Green Circle Bunny Slopes, then move to the Blue Squares.  Once you can verify you can excel at those, then you move on to the Black Diamonds (Tiers 6-8) and then the Double Black Diamonds (tiers 9-10.  )

Crew Training is an overlooked function of time in a tank.  Not just for the crew, for you as well.  Crew training is important over time.  If you think you can do it, try a hundred matches in a single unit.  Then trade up.  A hundred matches should tell you that you know the tank well enough to know if you have it 'figured out' or 'mastered.'

It will also provide your crew enough training to make it worth bringing them along to the next tier if they can apply for the job.  20K retrains to 75% of the new tank OR 90% of the previous value, whichever is greater.  Once your crew hits about 83%, it's worth bringing them along as they are slightly more highly trained than a Regimental 75% crew.

A better crew is a better crew.  If it's the same cost, then what are you having to decide, right?  The first time you change classes (at T2, then again usually at T3 and T4 or T5 (depending on when your Nation Line gets its first heavy tank) you might probably want to just put in a new crew altogether, but again, if you CAN bring a more seasoned tanker up from a lower tier you will no longer play, why not?

Now, if you ARE going to remotely take my advice, don't think it will be easier.  I do believe, however, it will make you a much better player overall.

Focus on not rushing up a line -- instead focus on learning the mechanics of the game and applying them to the tank you are in right now.  If you apply them now, guess what?  They start working now.

Do damage, survive, cooperate and hopefully win.  All you do should be applied to those concepts.  Camo and Vision/Spotting; Angling Armor and Ammo Penetration; Cover and Terrain.  These things will begin to work for you immediately once you learn to apply them to your unit.  Period.

As again, this is a contrary point of view, allow me to relate a small true life tale of how this might work:

Spoiler

I play all units and am attempting to do at least 50% in all of them that I play.  So for me, it's a hundred matches at least or until I hit that mark of 50%.  Longer still if I find I like that particular unit.

I have to admit, I don't think I'm ever going to sell my AT2.  Might always keep my T1 Heavy.  I love the T67, but I don't know, there are way too many times I am rekt before I know what hit me in that, too.  I hate my T5 German Leopard more than my T4 DW2 Hvy and *that* tank made me stop hating the Churchill T5 British Hvy.  I really like my JgPzIV (my only T6) German TD, but I pretty much feel like I can't break that 50% marker at the moment.

Do you see the similarity to what I say at T5 and T6 compared to what you say and hear at tiers 1-4?  I'm telling you, that situation does not change.  You have to see the landscape truthfully and then, instead of wail and moan about it, know that you can adapt to the situation and overcome the obstacles to win -- and still have fun doing it.

That is what I did.  It is why I recommend staying longer in each tier and in each unit.  Treat it as WoT's version of Master Miyagi telling you, "Wax-eh on," [motioning with the right hand], "and wax-eh off!" [motioning with the left hand.]  You are in training and you have your white belts or whatever color it is for the first group. (for those that fail the movie reference, Karate Kid -- the original one.  )

When you get to tier 5, you're going to find that there are still (apparently) Seal Clubbers, too high a tier match and you're "useless" in your Bottom Tier position.  There's still: gold ammo, RNG, crap teams, rofl stomps -- in short all the same crap you complain about now or hear others complain about now don't go away.

What are you going to do now?  They (the issues and complaints) just get more expensive and the salt gets more highly iodized.  It's not the tier, it's the player.

You focus on you playing well and stick with those lower, cheaper, sucky tiers until you do well enough to feel you do know your tanks (I would suggest a 1st Class or Ace Mastery, combined with a WR in the 48-52% range to act as something like a "regimental" certification) and that your crew is ready for more responsibility in upcoming matches -- and more challenge.

Sorry for the long response, this is stuff on my brain lately.  I plan on posting some guides soon, although before I do, I am thinking of asking for a few volunteers to vet my information, which is based primarily on my new way of playing and how it changes the nature of play in the first place.  It's nothing earth shaking, I promise, it's just not 'traditional' peer-gaming thinking when it comes to how to apply your self to the game.

Hope any of that was helpful, useful or remotely entertaining!

GL, HF & HSYBF!

Well said!  Well said indeed.  Lets hear it for learning in the low tiers, where you are supposed to learn.

K_Factor #45 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 17:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 16327 battles
  • [315] 315

View PostBall_Turret, on Mar 19 2017 - 19:21, said:

Of the recent match loses that keep growing more and more I have to ask when will the game start giving matches I can have a some what higher chance in winning? I'm tired of the +2 tier spread where I'm ALWAYS the bottom tier tank constantly facing more tier 5s and 6s than I would like and worst of all I'm tired of getting worthless team mates who fail to dish enough damage or simply don't know how to use their tank properly especially if their the high tier tanks on my team. This game will never give a chance to improve and learn from my mistakes since I get lemmings and tomatoes as teammates who end up getting clubbed by the enemy it seems the mm always puts me on the losing team more frequently then a winning team depending on team and tank structure how far must I fall to actually start enjoy this so called balanced game?

​There is only one way to keep your win rate above 50% and that's too only load gold ammo. Gold ammo has greater penetration then AP ammo, but at a shorter range. So when the developers say the MM is based off range, their actually talking about ammo and not tank guns. This feeds the Russian tank bias as their suited for close in slug fests. I've tested this out. Also don't load a mix of ammo, you have to go all gold to get the MM on your side. If you couple the gold ammo with an already over powered Russian tank designed for close in brawls you'll be a shoe in for the [edited]platoons. those are the Russian tank players who only shoot gold and have no real world accomplishments. Their entire self esteem is centered on video game accomplishments. I refuse to even play a Russian tank over tier 5. In reality Russian tanks store their ammo around the turret and few of them have an ammo rack. Even a non penetrating hit on a Russian tank turret will produce spall that will detonate the ammo. That truth is completely left out of in game mechanics.

Edited by 549th_CLAMS_Eat_Me, Mar 24 2017 - 17:54.

dapuda #46 Posted Mar 25 2017 - 09:18

Corporal

• Players
  • 23755 battles
Just quit the game now and do yourself a favor. Its the old slot machine, some how you can get fair MM for a day then its 3 days of losing thanks to MM. However the good players keep getting placed on good teams and win to pad their stats. The game sucks. Its a money dump, you can pay for of new tanks only to do well for a little while then back to the same pattern of getting your butt handed to you. It seems the more you invest yourself with watching videos learning the mechanics of the game and doing your best wargaming still finds a way to screw you.

Voltzar #47 Posted Mar 26 2017 - 03:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6438 battles

View PostTDRHooRaH, on Mar 19 2017 - 09:36, said:

Some people say this does not happen..

I lose way more and have way worse RNG when using them.

When they run out it's literally like a switch flips and games are "normal" again.

This! Look at my stats. While not great and was slowly improving until deciding to use personal reserves. When using them, its loss after loss. I've seen other people complain in game about this as well. 

Ball_Turret #48 Posted Mar 26 2017 - 18:05

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3723 battles
  • [_GT] _GT

View PostVoltzar, on Mar 26 2017 - 03:47, said:

This! Look at my stats. While not great and was slowly improving until deciding to use personal reserves. When using them, its loss after loss. I've seen other people complain in game about this as well.

This whole talk about using personal reservers triggering massive lose streaks is a bit dumb in some matches when I used reserves rng tends to be the same results either I keep losing or I win a few then back to losing more its all about how the mm decides to treat you.

ArmorStorm #49 Posted Mar 30 2017 - 19:00

Major

• Players
  • 32835 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

View PostToejamit, on Mar 22 2017 - 11:49, said:

Ive been playing for a year and a half..ive come to realize they are all about $$$$..so much that they will make these morons lose till they buy better tanks..not to mention they put any class of tank in with a mix of newbie tanks as long as u buy..ive spent money on this game only to realize in the end they dont give tp shts about players..no chat...nothing added with the the money they make..did my reasearch and its run in the U.S...your right im not happy..not to mention again how ypu have to buy everything.

I know guys who have spent ZERO, NADA, NOTHING, ZILCH on the game and have been running Tier X tanks in Clan Wars.  It takes more work to play without paying, but it is certainly possible.

They aren't guys like YOU though.

the_Deadly_Bulb #50 Posted Mar 30 2017 - 19:38

Captain

• Players
  • 17678 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostToejamit, on Mar 22 2017 - 09:49, said:

Ive been playing for a year and a half..ive come to realize they are all about $$$$..so much that they will make these morons lose till they buy better tanks..not to mention they put any class of tank in with a mix of newbie tanks as long as u buy..ive spent money on this game only to realize in the end they dont give tp shts about players..no chat...nothing added with the the money they make..did my reasearch and its run in the U.S...your right im not happy..not to mention again how ypu have to buy everything.

If you've been playing for over a year then post in that account instead of this chickenexcerement 'dummy account' you're using. What's the matter? Too much shame? Honestly, I have no respect nor will I give any credibility to players (and I use that term 'players' loosely) who post on these forums using zero battle accounts. Until you show a Battle count of any kind I call BS on everything you have to post. Everything.

Toejamit #51 Posted Mar 30 2017 - 19:51

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
You will lose as many times as it takes to bleed your wallet out.

the_Deadly_Bulb #52 Posted Mar 30 2017 - 20:14

Captain

• Players
  • 17678 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostToejamit, on Mar 30 2017 - 10:51, said:

You will lose as many times as it takes to bleed your wallet out.

Only if you insist on being a "Wallet Warrior". Again not a credible post.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users