Graphics problems

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poitou_Donkey #1 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 23:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18567 battles
  • [PGHS] PGHS
just upgraded my graphics card from a Radeon R7 240 to a Radeon RX 480 and the lag I'm getting IN THE GARAGE is unbearable. I clicked Settings and took Graphics from Custom to Medium (a task that took five minutes because of the cursor lag) and that didn't fix the problem. Any thoughts from the community? Is this something I'm going to have to tinker with outside of WoT?

ISNomads #2 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 23:25

Captain

• Players
  • 26591 battles
  • [WHAMO] WHAMO
Latest driver from the manufacturer?

Viper69 #3 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 23:28

Major

• Players
  • 7027 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
What resolution are you playing at and have you updated the drivers? Also for some reason I have to play WoT in borderless windowed  mode with my 390.

Asassian7 #4 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 23:30

Major

• Players
  • 22632 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
Are you running on integrated graphics by any chance? Check the graphics card is installed, recognised, and the drivers are installed. (Go to computer, right click on "computer" in the side bar, click properties, then click device manager on that screen, then find "display adapters and under there it should say "RX 480")

If its not recognised, you might need drivers, from the AMD website. Download and install them, and restart the PC, then check again to see if its recognised.

Also, make sure the Monitor is plugged in to the graphics cards port, and not into the motherboards onboard video, because thats the integrated graphics and not the graphics card.

See if that works

Viper69 #5 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 23:33

Major

• Players
  • 7027 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
^^^what he said too. Integrated graphics cards are notoriously bad.

Eisenriese #6 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 23:40

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7465 battles
Good luck running this game on anything but an Nvidia gpu. Wargaming is "in" Nvidia's pocket so they don't really work with AMD/ATI gpus. I have a custom built system with the RX480 8gig gpu. ONLY WOT has issues. Game crashed to desktop on certain map. Also WOT will crash the crimson driver and throw Wattman errors on regular intervals. I have been working with "support" and they have no clue.

Ndtm #7 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 23:43

Major

• Players
  • 15864 battles

View PostEisenriese, on Mar 19 2017 - 23:40, said:

Good luck running this game on anything but an Nvidia gpu. Wargaming is "in" Nvidia's pocket so they don't really work with AMD/ATI gpus. I have a custom built system with the RX480 8gig gpu. ONLY WOT has issues. Game crashed to desktop on certain map. Also WOT will crash the crimson driver and throw Wattman errors on regular intervals. I have been working with "support" and they have no clue.

Interesting how i'm running a R7 260x overclocked to the max and almost max graphics settings and no issues other than the 40-50fps i'm getting

Eisenriese #8 Posted Mar 19 2017 - 23:59

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7465 battles

View PostNdtm, on Mar 19 2017 - 23:43, said:

Interesting how i'm running a R7 260x overclocked to the max and almost max graphics settings and no issues other than the 40-50fps i'm getting

​Legacy drivers? That's an older card.

The Rx480 is the current flagship AMD based gpu. There has been an issue with WOT and Crimson Drivers since mid 16.x.x.x driver updates. I bet I could run this junk on med/low setting with little issues but WHY? Top of the line GPU (that isn't NVidia) and you have to dumb down a game to make it work. No thanks. My son has the EXACT same build as me other than he has the 1070 NVidia 6g gpu. I couldn't afford a $450 gpu so I "save money([edited]) with a $280 gpu. His game has NO issues what so ever. He pushes the exact same frames as me (120) with exact same in game settings. Difference is my game CTDs on Sacred Valley and Artic Region EVERY TIME! This is a WOT issue that WOT refuses to fix.

Edited by Eisenriese, Mar 20 2017 - 00:01.

Ndtm #9 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 00:22

Major

• Players
  • 15864 battles

View PostEisenriese, on Mar 19 2017 - 23:59, said:

​Legacy drivers? That's an older card.

The Rx480 is the current flagship AMD based gpu. There has been an issue with WOT and Crimson Drivers since mid 16.x.x.x driver updates. I bet I could run this junk on med/low setting with little issues but WHY? Top of the line GPU (that isn't NVidia) and you have to dumb down a game to make it work. No thanks. My son has the EXACT same build as me other than he has the 1070 NVidia 6g gpu. I couldn't afford a $450 gpu so I "save money([edited]) with a $280 gpu. His game has NO issues what so ever. He pushes the exact same frames as me (120) with exact same in game settings. Difference is my game CTDs on Sacred Valley and Artic Region EVERY TIME! This is a WOT issue that WOT refuses to fix.

I'm actually still getting new drivers from time to time, updated to crimson 17.2.1(16.60.2011-170210a-311203C-ATI) on the 14th and the one before that on the 11th of december, etc :hiding:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64 under "Supported devices"

Viper69 #10 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 00:34

Major

• Players
  • 7027 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
I'm running a R9 390 with no issues. Maxed on everything on a 1440 monitor. The only thing I ran into was having to run in borderless window mode.

ArmorStorm #11 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 01:09

Major

• Players
  • 32682 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

No insult implied but check the basics first. I installed a GPU for a guy and he called complaining about the frame rate.  He had plugged the HDMI cable into the integrated gpu instead of the one I installed.  

Gothraul #12 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 01:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 1351 battles

Good for me that I am behind the times with a LGA 2011 V3 build so no IGP to worry about lol.

Check what gpu is in use and update your drivers, if that doesn't solve it get a driver cleaner program from a reputable place and try again. It is rare but it does happen that some people do get very unlucky to get a defective card and be sure to have that covered if you have to RMA.

Asassian7 #13 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 01:21

Major

• Players
  • 22632 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

View PostEisenriese, on Mar 20 2017 - 10:40, said:

Funny. I never had issues running an AMD GPU.

You know it could just be an issue with your system and not the game? Try a fresh install of the drivers or game. 

But please, put down the tinfoil hat. That wont get you anywhere.

Also, you do realise a 1070 makes mincemeat of a 480 right? You cant compare them like that...

reapert #14 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 01:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 19562 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

1st thing is remove mods . and try a different set(newer or run without after a new gpu install).

2nd thing to try is use display driver uninstaller(ddu) in safemode(you will kill windows if you don't use safemode) and reinstall drivers after you've cleaned.

3rd thing to see is if you temps are high. use gpu-z

if that doesn't help msg me in game or here.

Poitou_Donkey #15 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 05:39

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18567 battles
  • [PGHS] PGHS
I've reinstalled the drivers that came with card off the supplied CD, still the computer isn't recognizing the card and only going with onboard VGA. Thanks for everyone who's replied. I'm downloading drivers from AMD as I type as my last hope. Other advice from a Google search is to check BIOS as to why computer doesn't recognize card (it should, there was another PCI card in that slot before). I'm really hoping the card isn't DOA :(

ProximalCross #16 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 06:06

Private

• Players
  • 16531 battles
  • [TDF1] TDF1
Ive been having this problem as well. Only on certain maps mind you and at completely random times but with the same results. The mx480 8gig is running quite smoothly at max settings, also running 8gig ram and FX 6300. then i get to a winter map and bam it just closes the game. play for 5 hours with no winter map no problem load into a winter map and the game just shuts down. It was working fine up until this last large patch. So i don't see why it would be the video cards fault unless they put coding in with the last patch that is conflicting with the graphics card.

Viper69 #17 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 10:51

Major

• Players
  • 7027 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostPoitou_Donkey, on Mar 19 2017 - 23:39, said:

I've reinstalled the drivers that came with card off the supplied CD, still the computer isn't recognizing the card and only going with onboard VGA. Thanks for everyone who's replied. I'm downloading drivers from AMD as I type as my last hope. Other advice from a Google search is to check BIOS as to why computer doesn't recognize card (it should, there was another PCI card in that slot before). I'm really hoping the card isn't DOA :(

should be an option to disable the onboard gpu or at the least set priority over to the pcie slot.

Eisenriese #18 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 16:04

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7465 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Mar 20 2017 - 01:21, said:

Funny. I never had issues running an AMD GPU.

You know it could just be an issue with your system and not the game? Try a fresh install of the drivers or game. 

But please, put down the tinfoil hat. That wont get you anywhere.

Also, you do realise a 1070 makes mincemeat of a 480 right? You cant compare them like that...

​Not for WOT. Max is max. Both cards run just as well. I have been running around with WG support for weeks. Have uninstalled everything 2-3 times(including windows10 one time) and updated everything. Havent even touched a mod in a month. Again both systems are identical other than the GPU. I even bought all the parts on the same day. Its just irritating.

View PostProximalCross, on Mar 20 2017 - 06:06, said:

Ive been having this problem as well. Only on certain maps mind you and at completely random times but with the same results. The mx480 8gig is running quite smoothly at max settings, also running 8gig ram and FX 6300. then i get to a winter map and bam it just closes the game. play for 5 hours with no winter map no problem load into a winter map and the game just shuts down. It was working fine up until this last large patch. So i don't see why it would be the video cards fault unless they put coding in with the last patch that is conflicting with the graphics card.

​And this is the same issue I am having. Sacred Valley and Artic Region = CTD every time. Sometimes with a Wattman error sometimes just nothing. Odd that Winterburg doesn't crash tho. Also The game wont exit when set to full screen. Just black desktop that requires a hard reset. Run it in either windows mode and its fine. This issue is an ongoing discussion over on the RX480 forums. Kinda sad really since I can run everything else I play (even World of Warships) at max setting flawlessly (I run Wildlands on max around 60 fps, nothing over clocked).

Sadly it seems I will just have to jump on the Nvidia fanboy bandwagon and pony up the $450-$600 for a new NVidia GPU. Wife doesn't play WOT so she can have this card for her build.

Asassian7 #19 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 23:27

Major

• Players
  • 22632 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

View PostEisenriese, on Mar 21 2017 - 03:04, said:

​Not for WOT. Max is max. Both cards run just as well. I have been running around with WG support for weeks. Have uninstalled everything 2-3 times(including windows10 one time) and updated everything. Havent even touched a mod in a month. Again both systems are identical other than the GPU. I even bought all the parts on the same day. Its just irritating.

​And this is the same issue I am having. Sacred Valley and Artic Region = CTD every time. Sometimes with a Wattman error sometimes just nothing. Odd that Winterburg doesn't crash tho. Also The game wont exit when set to full screen. Just black desktop that requires a hard reset. Run it in either windows mode and its fine. This issue is an ongoing discussion over on the RX480 forums. Kinda sad really since I can run everything else I play (even World of Warships) at max setting flawlessly (I run Wildlands on max around 60 fps, nothing over clocked).

Sadly it seems I will just have to jump on the Nvidia fanboy bandwagon and pony up the $450-$600 for a new NVidia GPU. Wife doesn't play WOT so she can have this card for her build.

You might have bought a faulty card. 

Heck, I had an Nvidia card that had artifacting issues. But ONLY in WoT, nothing else. I swapped it out for something else and problem was solved.  

Eisenriese #20 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 23:48

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7465 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Mar 20 2017 - 23:27, said:

You might have bought a faulty card. 

Heck, I had an Nvidia card that had artifacting issues. But ONLY in WoT, nothing else. I swapped it out for something else and problem was solved.  

​I wish this was the problem and considered that also. RMA'd the first card thinking this. Second card same issues. (I used an OLD GTX 980 waiting for new card and NEVER a CTD) That's when I started researching this issue. Sadly it seems to be an issue with WOT as many other have the same problem. I even swapped in my sons Nvidia and tried to CTD doing training room after training room on both Sacred Valley and Artic Region. Thinking I might have some bad RAM (unlikely) or a bas PCI slot (again unlikely). I could not cause a crash. Swapped back in my Rx480 and first time in Sacred Valley = CTD. This is clearly a WOT issue.

Edit: This is not some half [edited]knock off card either. I have the ASUS ROG RX 480 Strix 8gb card. SAD SAD SAD! Also considered that it may be a power supply issue. But I would assume that the 1070 wouldn't run flawless if there was a power issue. Also son has same ps (750w 80PLUS Gold EVGA semi modular) which is more than enough to run both setups. Single GPU - No SSD - No water cooling - 125w AMD Vishera 8 core Black Edition - Nothing over clocked.

Edited by Eisenriese, Mar 20 2017 - 23:55.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users