New players should stick to russian tanks?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Bro_Relax #1 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 04:10

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2929 battles

So I read up a lot on the different Tier 10 tanks to find the first one I want to grind for, and after checking out hundreds of youtube vids, forum posts and doing some comparisons I'm really led to believe:

• ​There's a Russian tank bias to this game (as per multiple posts / comments / youtube commentary)
  • Other nations are nerfed before Russian tanks are considered
  • Referral codes give you a free Churchill III

My history with this game so far:

1. I started with the French heavy line, gave up at tier 5 after reading everyone saying **DO NOT START WITH THIS LINE**
  2. then went the USA heavy line, then reading **DO NOT GET THE T1105E IT WAS NERFED**,
  3. Then viewing that the FV215b is bad, along with the 113 (China) and Sweden for Tier 10 heavies (for new players)
  4. Not interested in playing the Maus and the other german tank suffers the same issue as the UK Tier 10

I feel like this leaves me with no choice to play the Russian Heavy tank line for the first tier 10 tank.

Would like to know your guys comments, if there is any other Tier X heavy line that's "newb" friendly

Edited by Bro_Relax, Mar 20 2017 - 04:13.

Gasai__Yuno #2 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 04:21

Major

• Players
  • 53363 battles
  • [2-ND] 2-ND

Well then, this ' product ' is Belarussian as it turns out,

Most of its ' customers ' are russian as well.

Naturally Wargaming gives bit ' extra ' hidden or not so hidden performance,

for their dear soviet russia vehicles. ( Russian Bias, as it is called )

Also the ' corridor ' meta favors all the russian heavies,

very well this WG has implemented.

( The ' Game ' used to be so much more ' strategical '

with more possibilities and more open areas years ago )

If you are not willing to play the ' Overpowered ' IS-series line.

Then I really suggest you to play the ' Maus ' line, this got recently buffed

( believe it or not, something else than ' nerfing ' German vehicles )

And the Maus is considered rather strong now, as it should be.

These vehicles are rather strong from Tier 8+,

that much I can say as a TD Expert myself,

I do not play anything else than TD's,

but I know a lot from them ( heavies ),

just from fighting against them with my dearest TD's.

But the Russian IS line is overpowered from the whole tree.

Such is this and such are my thoughts.

As the ' new player ' you are, I suggest you to use the IS line,

you do not have to ' think ' much as these allow you to do,

more mistakes than you can count.

Good Luck, my friend.

( Remember, there is no need to ' hurry '

to the ' Tier 10 ' , it is not rule set to stone )

BucephalusRider #3 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 04:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13028 battles
  • [2HARM] 2HARM

First thing first, Everyone who is saying the E5 is terrible now is straight up wrong. They only made the left side of the cupola just as weak as the right side.

As for a line to go down, it depends on your personal play style. If you like to get in people's faces and brawl a ton, the soviet heavies are a great place to be. If, however, you prefer to not charge everything in an instant, the american heavies are very powerful as hulled-down tanks and are often considered more versatile in combat. In general, russian tanks are easier and more forgiving to play, but some people would prefer more armor (Germans) or mabye a good hulled-down tank(Americans).

Realistically, you're not going to have the slightest clue what's going on for your first tier X grind, so pick whichever one looks the prettiest and then actually think about what you want for your second.

CrashAndBurn #4 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 04:23

Captain

• Players
  • 21912 battles
  • [AKAGI] AKAGI

E5 is still a solid tier X and very comfortable. All the tanks are great along that line.

The tumor nerf isn't that bad, you make it seem like the tank is no longer usable.

Go for the E5, that was my first Tier X.

Bro_Relax #5 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 04:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2929 battles
Thanks for the great and quick reply! Really appreciate the thoughtful feedback!

Redwave11 #6 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 04:28

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14840 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD

Both russian heavy lines are very forgiving for new players. I would still say that the US heavy line is good for new players, maybe not as forgiving as USSR due to the weaker hull armour, but still a consistent play style that new players can master easily.

The 113 line is very similar to the USSR heavies but you just play mediums up till tier 7 rather than tier 5 with USSR. 

Grasschopper #7 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 04:29

Major

• -Players-
  • 32313 battles
  • [TEMPL] TEMPL
Why limit yourself to HTs?  It's actually a MT game...but yeah...go RU.  I'd go up the RU MT line to the T-54 and then unlock both the T-62A and Obj 140.  With these tanks you can be a power on any map and have the ability to carry matches.  RU HTs are very good...don't get me wrong.  But MT play is what's really fun in this game.

KingAuthur #8 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 04:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 2181 battles
russain tanks line is for beginners they shoulded be any awards

KingAuthur #9 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 04:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 2181 battles

the russain devs lied about rebalanceing the game

they didn't tell the players they were rebalanceing to favor the Russain tanks at the expaence of everyone else

they let the players figure it out for themselves,like the *** they are

they lost a lot of customers and they more than deserved it

_Katyusha___ #10 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 04:53

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6457 battles

Well i believe you should take a different approach to the game

Dont rush the lines. Take your time finding what is the playstyle you like more. Also, for participating in the game events (to get prizes) you will often need to have differents tanks in different roles.

Each nation has its weakness, but also its strenghts. But sure russian are more user friendly. Reaching tier V trough the T-50 (very good light tank) will get you into both T-34 and Su-85, great medium tank and tankdestroyer.

For the heavy line, T-28 is very tricky, i started it with all improvements, ventilation, rammer and well trained crew (from t-34, but even without retraining far better than stock 75%) yet can't get to Kv-1 atm, so i could not tell you about russian heavies, but i got an IS-6 for rent, a very strong tank.

But, as you said before, Churchill III is a great starter. I love that tank. Really worth each cent, it is a blessing to have it on invitation codes. 

I suggest you to take some time to learn the basics on tier II, III, IV. While some people dislike those tiers for "unbalance", there is some jewels there. H35 tier II french is a very stable platform for learning the basics, tier III Chi-Ha (japanese or chinese) has an excellent punch able to take out tier V heavies, tier IV lago is very well rounded medium tank, tier IV T-50 is very good for learning higher tiers (as scout), tier IV matilda has great armor, accuracy, penetration and RoF

Keep your crews and dont spam tanks. Having few tanks but well trained crews on them will make it easier to control your tank in battle. For lower tiers (that you will not keep), retraining same type crew could be a lose (tier I 100% crews), rather keep them building up ther skills till you hit tier V, then retraining makes sense because the harder opponents and more EXP to collect for improvements/research next tank.

BTW, always keep some free exp to improve the new tanks before using them, and use vent and rammer equiments in most tanks, it is really worth (and very cheap for light tanks)

I hope you enjoy the game. Good luck

uMadXD #11 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 05:11

Major

• Players
  • 19850 battles

Object 268 - trash

Object 263 - trash, only decent for skilled players, and even then all it takes is 1 arty shell to completely ruin your game

IS-7 - trash

IS-4 - mediocre

Object 430 - Decent (?)

Object T-62A - Good

Object 140 - Good

There's definitely some Russian bias, but it's not really noticeable at tier 10.

Edited by uMadXD, Mar 20 2017 - 05:12.

Captain_Rownd #12 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 08:42

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1614 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostBro_Relax, on Mar 20 2017 - 04:10, said:

I feel like this leaves me with no choice to play the Russian Heavy tank line for the first tier 10 tank.

Would like to know your guys comments, if there is any other Tier X heavy line that's "newb" friendly

At 700 battles you need to be far more worried about how Tiers III-V play than Tier X which you won't see for a long time.

TankFullOfBourbon #13 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 10:47

Major

• Players
  • 19464 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

New players should stick to Soviet and US tanks because they are the newb friendliest, jack of all trades type of tanks. 

British and french tanks will frustrate you. Swedish and czech tanks are pretty specilized. And the German tanks are more difficult.

da_Rock002 #14 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 11:30

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3445 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on Mar 20 2017 - 02:42, said:

At 700 battles you need to be far more worried about how Tiers III-V play than Tier X which you won't see for a long time.

that and.....

Cutting the time to get to tier X by buying a Premium isn't a shortcut that works either.

It's not always a bad idea to pick up a premium 'to learn on' in the bottom tiers however.   For most, that'd be the tier 3s.   And most would discover how that worked and not do the same thing for tier 5 or above.

Bro_Relax #15 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 12:28

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2929 battles

Right now at ~700 battles i have:

• Tier V USA Heavy (T1 Heavy) fully upgraded
  • Tier V France Heavy (BDR G1 B) fully upgraded
  • Tier V France TD (S35 CA) fully upgraded
  • Tier IV France Artillery (AMX 105)

Things finally clicked after game 650 where I'm finally getting at least 1 kill per battle with my heavies - it's a work in progress but i just hope I don't run into a dead-end tank line.

Thanks again everyone for your input - ill stick to the US Heavy line and then graduate to Mediums or Lights as I get more comfortable with shooting weak spots and get more familiar with tanks. 

Edited by Bro_Relax, Mar 20 2017 - 12:29.

Roggg2 #16 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 13:47

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14303 battles
  • [H1VOC] H1VOC

View PostBro_Relax, on Mar 20 2017 - 06:28, said:

Things finally clicked after game 650 where I'm finally getting at least 1 kill per battle with my heavies - it's a work in progress but i just hope I don't run into a dead-end tank line.

Thanks again everyone for your input - ill stick to the US Heavy line and then graduate to Mediums or Lights as I get more comfortable with shooting weak spots and get more familiar with tanks. 

The BDR G1B is an awesome tank.  If you can learn not to rely too heavily on your armor for survival, the gun on that thing is ferocious.  

GAJohnnie #17 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 14:11

Major

• Players
  • 8765 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostBro_Relax, on Mar 20 2017 - 06:28, said:

The thing about the US Heavy line until at least tier 7  they are all more heavy/medium hybrid. If you play it as a fat medium, you should have good success. Also it gets you to the T29 which is the best tier 7 heavy.

murdockwan #18 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 15:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20569 battles

View PostBro_Relax, on Mar 20 2017 - 03:10, said:

So I read up a lot on the different Tier 10 tanks to find the first one I want to grind for, and after checking out hundreds of youtube vids, forum posts and doing some comparisons I'm really led to believe:

• ​There's a Russian tank bias to this game (as per multiple posts / comments / youtube commentary)

1. I started with the French heavy line, gave up at tier 5 after reading everyone saying **DO NOT START WITH THIS LINE**
  2. then went the USA heavy line, then reading **DO NOT GET THE T1105E IT WAS NERFED**,
  3. Then viewing that the FV215b is bad, along with the 113 (China) and Sweden for Tier 10 heavies (for new players)
  4. Not interested in playing the Maus and the other german tank suffers the same issue as the UK Tier 10

Russian

Going Russian HT as your first tier X is a good advice, unless you have a special/personal reason, no need to avoid it just because it's a classic advice. If I were you, I would do this as my main grind.

American

T110E5 nerf isn't cause to drop the line: it was absurdly OP, now it is not. That's it. It doesn't mean it is "bad and must be avoided". IMO you would do a good thing to resume your American HT line grind, at least do your dailies.

Chinese

I can't advise about Chinese HT grind tiers 1 to 8, however tiers 9 and 10 are good tanks and you should get those if you like HTs. At least do your dailies perhaps. This should be the least priority for a new player IMO.

Cheesehead1964 #19 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 17:17

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1965 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Post_Katyusha___, on Mar 20 2017 - 04:53, said:

Well i believe you should take a different approach to the game

Dont rush the lines. Take your time finding what is the playstyle you like more. Also, for participating in the game events (to get prizes) you will often need to have differents tanks in different roles.

Each nation has its weakness, but also its strenghts. But sure russian are more user friendly. Reaching tier V trough the T-50 (very good light tank) will get you into both T-34 and Su-85, great medium tank and tankdestroyer.

For the heavy line, T-28 is very tricky, i started it with all improvements, ventilation, rammer and well trained crew (from t-34, but even without retraining far better than stock 75%) yet can't get to Kv-1 atm, so i could not tell you about russian heavies, but i got an IS-6 for rent, a very strong tank.

But, as you said before, Churchill III is a great starter. I love that tank. Really worth each cent, it is a blessing to have it on invitation codes. 

I suggest you to take some time to learn the basics on tier II, III, IV. While some people dislike those tiers for "unbalance", there is some jewels there. H35 tier II french is a very stable platform for learning the basics, tier III Chi-Ha (japanese or chinese) has an excellent punch able to take out tier V heavies, tier IV lago is very well rounded medium tank, tier IV T-50 is very good for learning higher tiers (as scout), tier IV matilda has great armor, accuracy, penetration and RoF

Keep your crews and dont spam tanks. Having few tanks but well trained crews on them will make it easier to control your tank in battle. For lower tiers (that you will not keep), retraining same type crew could be a lose (tier I 100% crews), rather keep them building up ther skills till you hit tier V, then retraining makes sense because the harder opponents and more EXP to collect for improvements/research next tank.

BTW, always keep some free exp to improve the new tanks before using them, and use vent and rammer equiments in most tanks, it is really worth (and very cheap for light tanks)

I hope you enjoy the game. Good luck

This is very good advice. I've been fighting mostly in Tier V, struggling lately, probably from jumping around too much. My best tank is my KV-1. I was above 50 percent winning percentage for a while with it but have fallen back. Are there any Tier III/IV you recommend to fall back to for a while? I do okay in my Matilda.... Or should I just gut it out and focus on my KV1?

Zakume #20 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 18:19

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 29911 battles

View PostBro_Relax, on Mar 20 2017 - 03:10, said:

Russian or American are good lines to begin with. Chinese are similar to Russian and are fine if you like that style of tank. German and British are a little tougher to play but are still fine(German especially since they just got buffed), and I'd stay away from Swedish and French tanks until you are more experienced with the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users