New players should stick to russian tanks?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

GAJohnnie #21 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 18:51

Major

• Players
  • 9046 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 21 2017 - 11:17, said:

This is very good advice. I've been fighting mostly in Tier V, struggling lately, probably from jumping around too much. My best tank is my KV-1. I was above 50 percent winning percentage for a while with it but have fallen back. Are there any Tier III/IV you recommend to fall back to for a while? I do okay in my Matilda.... Or should I just gut it out and focus on my KV1?

Matilda is a great tanks since it is has a good gun but is slow enough to, usually, prevent a player from doing stupid stuff. I like the Matilda but think tier 5 is better tier for learning.

Tier 5 has gotten a lot tougher due to the number of stad padders living down there in their 10,000 game+ T-67s, OI Exp or Church 3s. . A certain % of your games are just going to suck since you are basically the equivalent of a High School football team playing a game against a top line NFL team.

So I would play your KV-1 and get a T-34 Teir 5 Russian with the 57 mm gun and grind up your crew. An average player, with a fully trained T-34 crew, using the 57MM with rammer, vents and optics, can have a lot of fun. 

Cheesehead1964 #22 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 18:57

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3803 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostGAJohnnie, on Mar 21 2017 - 18:51, said:

Matilda is a great tanks since it is has a good gun but is slow enough to, usually, prevent a player from doing stupid stuff. I like the Matilda but think tier 5 is better tier for learning.

Tier 5 has gotten a lot tougher due to the number of stad padders living down there in their 10,000 game+ T-67s, OI Exp or Church 3s. . A certain % of your games are just going to suck since you are basically the equivalent of a High School football team playing a game against a top line NFL team.

So I would play your KV-1 and get a T-34 Teir 5 Russian with the 57 mm gun and grind up your crew. An average player, with a fully trained T-34 crew, using the 57MM with rammer, vents and optics, can have a lot of fun. 

Thanks much, sir.

I've struggled with a the T-34 (been using my Matilda IV as a trainer so it has a fully trained crew, maxed out turret and gun, and is fully equipped with rammer vents and optics. I've always wanted to love it so maybe I'll give it another go. Any suggestions on how to run it?

the_Deadly_Bulb #23 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 19:16

Captain

• Players
  • 17678 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
T-34 has a pretty tough turret and the armour gets big advantages from the angles. The sides are soft and easy to pen so point the T-34 towards the enemy (no armour out back either). Guard the lower glacis, don't come over a hill to your opponent. The T-34 is fast, use that speed. This is not a sniper, its a great support/flanker tank. The 57mm is the best gun. Elite it and you'll get a lot of options for new tanks, but this is one of the biggest grinds to elite a tank in the game with all those vehicles to research. Its worth it though. The T-34 is a fun tank. The Type 34 Chinese is virtually the same tank, but easier to grind to. I find the Chinese gun a bit better handling, but it might be my imagination. I enjoy both of these tanks

GAJohnnie #24 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 19:18

Major

• Players
  • 9046 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 21 2017 - 12:57, said:

Thanks much, sir.

I've struggled with a the T-34 (been using my Matilda IV as a trainer so it has a fully trained crew, maxed out turret and gun, and is fully equipped with rammer vents and optics. I've always wanted to love it so maybe I'll give it another go. Any suggestions on how to run it?

Are you using the 57MM? Best way to play the T-34 is to wolf pack with other mediums. Best to have someone else up front to take the hits since you armor isn't going to bounce much. It is mobile so it excels as an exploitation tank. Either flank unwary heavies, gang tackle TDs/Arty or kill scouts. The skill that you need to develop is how to use terrain to mask your approach or to break contact, maneuver and re-engage. Use your mobility and your fast firing gun. Always bring friends to the fight.

This is a good series on how to play tanks.

https://www.youtube....YQsrX9W-m_E20pn

GAJohnnie #25 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 19:19

Major

• Players
  • 9046 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Mar 21 2017 - 13:16, said:

T-34 has a pretty tough turret and the armour gets big advantages from the angles. The sides are soft and easy to pen so point the T-34 towards the enemy (no armour out back either). Guard the lower glacis, don't come over a hill to your opponent. The T-34 is fast, use that speed. This is not a sniper, its a great support/flanker tank. The 57mm is the best gun. Elite it and you'll get a lot of options for new tanks, but this is one of the biggest grinds to elite a tank in the game with all those vehicles to research. Its worth it though. The T-34 is a fun tank. The Type 34 Chinese is virtually the same tank, but easier to grind to. I find the Chinese gun a bit better handling, but it might be my imagination. I enjoy both of these tanks

^---this.

GAJohnnie #26 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 19:21

Major

• Players
  • 9046 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 21 2017 - 12:57, said:

Thanks much, sir.

Funny thing is I got to love my Matilda IV once I learned to abuse it gun depression. Very odd to have a Russian tank with excellent gun depression!

It is oddly tough and can almost point it's gun straight down :teethhappy:

the_Deadly_Bulb #27 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 19:48

Captain

• Players
  • 17678 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostGAJohnnie, on Mar 21 2017 - 10:21, said:

Funny thing is I got to love my Matilda IV once I learned to abuse it gun depression. Very odd to have a Russian tank with excellent gun depression!

It is oddly tough and can almost point it's gun straight down :teethhappy:

That's because it isn't a Russian tank. It was a British tank they provided to the Soviets once they became allied against the Germans. Part of the Lend/Lease Programme.

What on Earth did the Soviet tank designers have against gun depression? Its like they never thought a tank would fight from the high ground. They also usually have putty for lower glacis, again, what no fighting from high ground!  LOL go Stalin, guide my round toward the capitalist pigs over there!

I quite enjoy the entire Matilda line, slow, somewhat ponderous, but very dangerous to the opponent. The Soviet 'Tilda IV gives up the nasty RoF in favour of higher damage, but it still keeps its decent armour. The BP is OK too, I train my Matilda crew in it. The BP is more like the Tier IV Matilda, with the high RoF, good pen, low alpha gun.

Just don't get flanked, all Matilda's turn almost as slow as they move and they have soft rumps.

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Mar 21 2017 - 19:53.

Cheesehead1964 #28 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 20:14

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3803 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Mar 21 2017 - 19:16, said:

View PostGAJohnnie, on Mar 21 2017 - 19:18, said:

Are you using the 57MM? Best way to play the T-34 is to wolf pack with other mediums. Best to have someone else up front to take the hits since you armor isn't going to bounce much. It is mobile so it excels as an exploitation tank. Either flank unwary heavies, gang tackle TDs/Arty or kill scouts. The skill that you need to develop is how to use terrain to mask your approach or to break contact, maneuver and re-engage. Use your mobility and your fast firing gun. Always bring friends to the fight.

This is a good series on how to play tanks.

https://www.youtube....YQsrX9W-m_E20pn

You guys rule! Yes I use the 57...

Ooh, I like short videos! Not the half-hour long ones! Going to have to check those out!

Edited by Cheesehead1964, Mar 21 2017 - 20:16.

Mikosah #29 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 23:14

Major

• Players
  • 17478 battles

I do strongly believe that everyone's first tank really should be the KV-2 with the 152mm howitzer. Playing that thing is so elegantly simple but still teaches all the lessons that matter. But even though this tank and several others in the Russian tree are easy to understand and use, many others are just the opposite. Don't judge an entire tech tree just because of a few tanks in particular. 

And that applies to the other nations as well. Just because they have a few "idiot-traps" doesn't mean the entire tree has to be avoided. 

Fr33kzilla #30 Posted Mar 23 2017 - 07:53

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15296 battles

View PostGAJohnnie, on Mar 20 2017 - 14:11, said:

The thing about the US Heavy line until at least tier 7  they are all more heavy/medium hybrid. If you play it as a fat medium, you should have good success. Also it gets you to the T29 which is the best tier 7 heavy.

Don't bother with the American heavy line at all. The guns are pure junk. The Tiger 1 is a better example of a heavy/medium hybrid. And yes, there is a serious Russian tank bias in this game. You will hardly see anything but russian and german heavies at T8 and up. Put it this way, most heavies at T8, have a t9 gun option. American heavy T8 isn't one of them. Oh, and the american heavy line, make sure to bring a kit to repair your tracks, because you will get tracked a LOT.

DemonicSothe #31 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 00:26

Captain

• Players
  • 14847 battles

View PostFr33kzilla, on Mar 22 2017 - 22:53, said:

Don't bother with the American heavy line at all. The guns are pure junk. The Tiger 1 is a better example of a heavy/medium hybrid. And yes, there is a serious Russian tank bias in this game. You will hardly see anything but russian and german heavies at T8 and up. Put it this way, most heavies at T8, have a t9 gun option. American heavy T8 isn't one of them. Oh, and the american heavy line, make sure to bring a kit to repair your tracks, because you will get tracked a LOT.

Sure, cuz having td levels of turret traverse and a good gun means its a good heavium hybrid.

GAJohnnie #32 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 13:17

Major

• Players
  • 9046 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

View PostFr33kzilla, on Mar 23 2017 - 01:53, said:

Yeah cause having all those flat surfaces for the bad guys to shoot makes the German tanks "awesome". I will take the US line over the German line up to tier 8. Tier 8 and up you may have a point.

BTW, you do realize you, personally, have a better win rate in your US T14 and M6 then you do in your German Tiger 1 right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users