Jump to content


Type 4 Heavy, how should it be played?

Type 4 Heavy

  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

RLBell #1 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 05:34

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 15693 battles
  • 611
  • [DHO] DHO
  • Member since:
    12-20-2014

I want to like the Type 4 Heavy.  It is the first tier IX that I unlocked and the japanese heavy tank line is the first tank line that might be able to finish.

 

However it is not an easy tank to play, and the maps with wide open sight lines limit its options.  I am about average for doing damage with the Type 4 Heavy and I would like to improve.

 

Which of the 14cm and 15cm tier X guns is better?

 

How do I make the best use of better gun?



SuperTankDriver #2 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 05:37

    Major

  • Players
  • 19935 battles
  • 3,615
  • [HAX] HAX
  • Member since:
    03-26-2012

15cm. Load full gold. Press RR, auto aim, click. profit.

 

 

 

 

 

Spoiler

 



Never_Lose_Hope #3 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 05:48

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 14122 battles
  • 431
  • [-HOPE] -HOPE
  • Member since:
    06-10-2014

I have xp in it, I got all the way to the type 5.

To me, it is kind of a meh tank, it has flat spots on the front of it, but if you try to angle it, you risk getting ammo racked on the hull cheeks now, cause those are the spots where the ammo is at, but if you keep it straight out in front, it makes the whole front somewhat easy for same tier tanks to pen if they know the weak spots. I do not recommend using the howitzer on it, low dmg and long reload make it worse, and you don't get that many opportunities at that high of a tier to one shot tanks, I just stick to the regular gun and use normal rounds in it. Learning enemy tanks weak spots are key to using the regular ammo. Just kind of hang back with ur allies cause of the long reload, and when the team pushes, you should try to be out there in front taking hits for the team and attracting fire. Map awareness is key in it also, because of arty and being flanked. It is very vulnerable alone against other tanks, but if the need arises, it helps to push them against walls and flip enemy tanks on their sides, I've don't it a lot in the past with it. I have mine still, but I have moved the crew to the type 5 since I got it, and haven't played it that much lately...

They're good tanks, and it just takes practice on when and who to angle your armor at, and making choices on what targets to eliminate first...

 

 

 

 



Never_Lose_Hope #4 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 05:54

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 14122 battles
  • 431
  • [-HOPE] -HOPE
  • Member since:
    06-10-2014

But speaking from experience, when you are in the Type 4 say in a tier X round, it is wise to hang back a bit more, cause the armor on that tank is nothing against the tier X tank destroyers, and the artillery at that tier. You more want to support the top tier heavies, and again, if using the regular ammo, cause that's all I ever use in mine, it's very important to choose your shots and aim for weak spots on tanks. In my opinion, the gun is a bit underpowered, but it is still a solid gun against same tiered tanks and lower. Also, the fronts of the turrets are weak spots for enemy tanks too, it helps to slightly angle your turret while you reload to the left or right to help make it angled more, that's what I do a lot and has helped me a lot in situations.



Rocketmandb #5 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 05:56

    Captain

  • Players
  • 45556 battles
  • 1,842
  • [CARTE] CARTE
  • Member since:
    12-29-2011

The Type 4 is fun because of its derpiness, but it isn't exactly what I would call a great tier 9 heavy - especially in a field of very good tier 9 heavies. However, it is great at a few things when using the 15cm:

 

First off, it is the anti-Maus - or fill in any other super heavy you want there. By virtue of the fact that it can do 400-600 damage per shot when hitting armor and more when using other tactics (see below), it is something no heavily armored tank wants to run up against. It is good at this, not only because it does damage when it hits an armored opponent, but because you can splash and damage lightly armored areas for even more damage.

 

Examples:

 

1) Hitting the Maus on the underside of its turret will splash down on its lightly armored engine deck. Not all tanks have the layout of the Maus, but many have things you can hit that will cause splash into more vulnerable areas. 

 

2) When someone is sidescraping, you can splash off the tracks, or just next to the tracks. Not only do you do the splash damage in that 400-600 range, but you also tend to track them. Time this correctly, and you can do so before they can back up enough to get their gun on you, thus spoiling their shot and giving you time to get back into cover. 

 

3) When going against more heavily armored foes from the front where you will tend to do less damage, you can shoot underneath the tank and splash up into the very lightly armored underbelly. 



Never_Lose_Hope #6 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 06:01

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 14122 battles
  • 431
  • [-HOPE] -HOPE
  • Member since:
    06-10-2014

View PostRocketmandb, on Mar 19 2017 - 20:56, said:

The Type 4 is fun because of its derpiness, but it isn't exactly what I would call a great tier 9 heavy - especially in a field of very good tier 9 heavies. However, it is great at a few things when using the 15cm:

 

First off, it is the anti-Maus - or fill in any other super heavy you want there. By virtue of the fact that it can do 400-600 damage per shot when hitting armor and more when using other tactics (see below), it is something no heavily armored tank wants to run up against. It is good at this, not only because it does damage when it hits an armored opponent, but because you can splash and damage lightly armored areas for even more damage.

 

Examples:

 

1) Hitting the Maus on the underside of its turret will splash down on its lightly armored engine deck. Not all tanks have the layout of the Maus, but many have things you can hit that will cause splash into more vulnerable areas. 

 

2) When someone is sidescraping, you can splash off the tracks, or just next to the tracks. Not only do you do the splash damage in that 400-600 range, but you also tend to track them. Time this correctly, and you can do so before they can back up enough to get their gun on you, thus spoiling their shot and giving you time to get back into cover. 

 

3) When going against more heavily armored foes from the front where you will tend to do less damage, you can shoot underneath the tank and splash up into the very lightly armored underbelly. 

 

​That too, when going against a Maus, in my opinion, whether in the Type 4 or 5, its a matter of you making wise shots and working a bit harder, you have more flat spots and weak spots, you just have to make each shot count and do not fire until you are sure you will pen the weak spots on it.

Faster_Blaster #7 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 06:04

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 20330 battles
  • 176
  • [RO-TD] RO-TD
  • Member since:
    04-20-2015
Type 4 is slow and can't fit on many maps. Always is a pain to cross the field on Lakeville, a butthurt to do some damage on Steppes and so on... It can work well on city maps if you have a decent team.
I couldn't ace it so far, and it was a struggle to rise WR for it above 50%. I will sell it as soon I will get Type 5.

Kevlar1972 #8 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 12:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 17763 battles
  • 2,066
  • [941ST] 941ST
  • Member since:
    12-26-2012
You need to get your damage up. Easy way to do so is use the new derp.  

First get yourself to an arty safe spot.  

Most heavy corners or large buildings will do.

Wait for enemies to show up but don't really expose yourself.  This is a tank that can knock 500+ health off anyone showing even the tiniest sliver of their tank. So no need to trade shots.  

Never go anywhere alone.  A single light or medium tank will ruin your day.  If no one is pushing heavy corner with you hang back and defend but stay arty safe!

Always go for side armor even if its an extreme angle.  Your HE won't bounce and can do massive damage to even heavy tanks in the side.  You will penetrate and take out multiple modules and crew.

If you don't have side armor shots take out their gun/gunner.  They won't be able to hit squat with a reticle bloom the size of their screen!

Arclyte #9 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 23:38

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 13423 battles
  • 522
  • [RWDS] RWDS
  • Member since:
    06-07-2011

This thing takes WAY more module damage than it should

 

I just got this thing, and im getting ammo racked via front cheek weak spot more than I did in my Leopard PTA. And half the shots to the LFP take out the engine.

 

One or the other would be fine, but both cripples this thing



Yu86 #10 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 06:13

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 17055 battles
  • 274
  • [VILIN] VILIN
  • Member since:
    09-18-2012

1.Right click "Sell"

2.Type in some number

3.????????

4.Profit



WhatsThisBoxFor #11 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 12:10

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 9 battles
  • 944
  • Member since:
    09-20-2015
Take your face and roll it around in your keyboard vigorously, perhaps even lift your head up and bang it down repeatedly. And that's all it takes to play the Type 4.

RLBell #12 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 06:46

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 15693 battles
  • 611
  • [DHO] DHO
  • Member since:
    12-20-2014

My experience is that the 14cm gun with half and half AP and HE, plus some APCR for situations when it might be useful is better than the new 15cm derp gun which has less DPM than the tier VII derp gun on the tier VIII O-Ho and adds insult to injury of standard shells that are twice as expensive as the tier VII gun.

 

What the 14cm gun lacks in alpha, it more than makes up for with DPM and accuracy.  In tier IX matches, the AP round can be devastating.

 

The worst drawback of the Type 4 is its utter lack of concealment rating (0.17 when stationary) which means that every enemy within render range of it can see it and you should not expect to be concealed by anything less than blocking terrain.

 

I thank everyone, so far, that has offered useful advice.



otacon237 #13 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 07:57

    Major

  • Players
  • 21636 battles
  • 3,994
  • Member since:
    01-08-2012

don't see the point of getting it if you're not going to run the derp, you might as well get the maus or the tech tree failowe.

 

if you come across heavily armored tanks shoot their tracks under them, it gives the best chance of detonating at the right distance and doing a lot of damage to them.

 

Amway921wot did a recent video on it, he's a Russian streamer so you might not understand what he's saying but you can watch the gameplay. he's a unicum player and one of the biggest Russian streamers

 



gfunk4life #14 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 10:23

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 30483 battles
  • 82
  • Member since:
    10-22-2011
I love it with the derp, the joy i get with 500 damage on side scraping heavy's is unmatched. a few days ago i did about 1700 damage to another type 4 until he ran. 

Kevlar1972 #15 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 13:38

    Major

  • Players
  • 17763 battles
  • 2,066
  • [941ST] 941ST
  • Member since:
    12-26-2012

View Postgfunk4life, on Mar 24 2017 - 04:23, said:

I love it with the derp, the joy i get with 500 damage on side scraping heavy's is unmatched. a few days ago i did about 1700 damage to another type 4 until he ran. 

 

Ayyy yesterday I traded shot with a unicum in a batchat.  400 vs 1300.  I'm sure he was pissed!  He prob thought I had the regular gun and he could clip me.



Kliphie #16 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 14:25

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25997 battles
  • 988
  • [IOC] IOC
  • Member since:
    07-20-2012

View Postotacon237, on Mar 24 2017 - 01:57, said:

if you come across heavily armored tanks shoot their tracks under them, it gives the best chance of detonating at the right distance and doing a lot of damage to them.

 

 

That's some solid advice I never think of till too late :)



otacon237 #17 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 18:28

    Major

  • Players
  • 21636 battles
  • 3,994
  • Member since:
    01-08-2012

View PostKliphie, on Mar 24 2017 - 13:25, said:

 

That's some solid advice I never think of till too late :)

 

​I had heard of people doing it but didn't think to shoot the tracks and force the shell to detonate. I tried to shoot the ground but that wasn't as reliable so I stopped doing it. will have to try it in my KV-2 lol

Gothraul #18 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 18:35

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 1262 battles
  • 2,143
  • Member since:
    11-17-2014
Had it since since September of 2015 and even grinded the tracks in Rampage mode because I was cheap lol which was long before the buffs. The 14cm isn't bad if you gold spam but 282 pen is horrendous for tier 9 gold. The derp is basically point and click without needing to actually aim so in the long run just use that plus it will have a fear factor that no matter what someone is going to lose some modules and crew. 

Kevlar1972 #19 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 20:35

    Major

  • Players
  • 17763 battles
  • 2,066
  • [941ST] 941ST
  • Member since:
    12-26-2012

View Postotacon237, on Mar 24 2017 - 12:28, said:

 

​I had heard of people doing it but didn't think to shoot the tracks and force the shell to detonate. I tried to shoot the ground but that wasn't as reliable so I stopped doing it. will have to try it in my KV-2 lol

 

The accuracy really isn't that great. Even watching that pro he misses a lot of shots for no dmg vs guaranteed dmg hitting the hull or turret. 



Grasschopper #20 Posted Mar 24 2017 - 21:04

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 33056 battles
  • 3,924
  • [TEMPL] TEMPL
  • Member since:
    08-24-2014
I feel like I'm the only one that thinks the 14cm is the better gun to use on this tank.  I'm not willing to go full prem HE spam though.  I get MUCH more consistent damage playing the 14cm than I do in games running the 15 cm.  And honestly the Type 4 HT has a place in my garage for good.  You can really bully tier 9 matches and be effective in tier 10s with the improved armor.  Yes Firey/Prok with arty just plain sucks [edited]...but most maps aren't like that.





Also tagged with Type 4 Heavy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users