New player friendly tank lines

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Wrex_Hammerhead #1 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 18:16

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4830 battles

So I have heard multiple times that the IS-3 heavy tank line is the go-to new player line. 

But it what about new players who want to play light tanks or meds? Or say after they already earned the IS-3 or IS-7 and they are looking for a different tank line. 

Basically what I'm asking, what tank lines, based on tank class (HT, MT, LT, TD, Arty) would you suggest to newbies?

EDIT: if possible, please list off why you suggested that line. 

Edited by Wrex_Hammerhead, Mar 20 2017 - 18:38.

Jager_Gunner #2 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 18:36

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 884 battles
  • [HCK] HCK

View PostWrex_Hammerhead, on Mar 20 2017 - 18:16, said:

So I have heard multiple times that the IS-3 heavy tank line is the go-to new player line. 

But it what about new players who want to play light tanks or meds? Or say after they already earned the IS-3 or IS-7 and they are looking for a different tank line. 

Basically what I'm asking, what tank lines, based on tank class (HT, MT, LT, TD, Arty) would you suggest to newbies?

I have had a lot of luck with the American Light tanks, lots of fun as well. I am fairly new to the game and those heavies were reccomended to me as well. 

SACEUR #3 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 18:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 38540 battles
German heavy or td

trent3296 #4 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 18:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 22292 battles
  • [-W-W-] -W-W-
If you want mediums. The Russian ones are forgiving but it takes time to get used to the gun depression. My personal favourite medium line is the British. The only bad tank in that line is the centurion 1. Most or all of the others are either good like the crusader and the comet, or great like the Cromwell and the centurion 7/1. Plus they get -10 gun depression so are very forgiving on ridgelines and allow you to play a lot more good positions. Plus you don't have to fire as much gold in those. I would not recommend light tanks for any new player. You really have to know what you are doing to do well. Otherwise you will just get frustrated and bleed your WN8 and win rate. 

BattleField_JM #5 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 18:41

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13464 battles
  • [TEMPL] TEMPL
The two German medium tank/heavy tank lines that both start from the VK 30.01 H are now really chill for new players after the buffs. The VK P leads to the tiger p which then leads to a plethora of lol armor German superheavies, while the VK M leads to the WWII iconic panthers and the forgiving and borderline OP E50 and E50 M

BattleField_JM #6 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 18:43

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13464 battles
  • [TEMPL] TEMPL
Btw op you're the best non reroll I've ever seen for that number of battles

Wrex_Hammerhead #7 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 18:49

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4830 battles

View PostBattleField_JM, on Mar 20 2017 - 18:43, said:

Btw op you're the best non reroll I've ever seen for that number of battles

Thanks. I rage quit the game within my first hundred battles then ended up watching a bunch of you tubers and streamers for like a year or so. Tanks.gg helped a lot as well. If I did rage out my stats would probably be trash. 

Reason I ask this though, I've ran into a few players in-game who are in their first thousand games or so and want my suggestions. Since in my opinion I'm an inexperienced scrub, I don't have that much to suggest. 

Lord_Hiney #8 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 18:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 11770 battles
Any of the medium lines are pretty good. The American line is pretty good for new players, as is the RU line.

SenaKashiwazaki #9 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 19:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7229 battles
  • [4SAKN] 4SAKN

Any tank is good. It's how the player plays the tank that makes it good or bad.

Nailer_Bob #10 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 19:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 9594 battles

View Posttrent3296, on Mar 20 2017 - 09:39, said:

I would not recommend light tanks for any new player. You really have to know what you are doing to do well. Otherwise you will just get frustrated and bleed your WN8 and win rate. 

Not to mention the constant hazing you'll get for not scouting enough.

Spanktankk #11 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 19:13

Major

• Players
  • 32077 battles
  • [KFB] KFB

LIGHTS:  American, Russian

MEDS:  Amercian, Russan

HEAVY:   American, Russian, German

TD:  dont play enough to tell

ARTY: 

1mp0ster #12 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 19:23

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 31112 battles
American, Russian, German. Don't go down a more special line to start like I did. I started with the British lines and my stats will never recover.

84Doc04 #13 Posted Mar 20 2017 - 19:37

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13929 battles
  • [E-T-D] E-T-D

View Posttrent3296, on Mar 20 2017 - 12:39, said:

If you want mediums. The Russian ones are forgiving but it takes time to get used to the gun depression. My personal favourite medium line is the British. The only bad tank in that line is the centurion 1. Most or all of the others are either good like the crusader and the comet, or great like the Cromwell and the centurion 7/1. Plus they get -10 gun depression so are very forgiving on ridgelines and allow you to play a lot more good positions. Plus you don't have to fire as much gold in those. I would not recommend light tanks for any new player. You really have to know what you are doing to do well. Otherwise you will just get frustrated and bleed your WN8 and win rate. 

I would agree with you.  Russian tanks are a more straight forward play style, with heavy armor, shorter range derpy guns.  

Mediums, the Brits are flexible with light armor but have good guns, speed, and DPM.  You need to learn to not engage head on in them.  

I like American and German TD's (especially turreted ones).  

Scouts challenge me, so I can't recommend a good line, but I like the Chinese Type 64 and German M41/90.  (but they're Premiums)  I do poorly in the other LT's I've played.

Arty, I like US and British up to Tier 7 (that's as high as I've gone)

1mp0ster #14 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 07:12

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 31112 battles
I suggest playing as much as you want on the American, German, and Russian lines. These are the easiest and most noob-friendly You will notice that one nation is advancing faster than the others. This is either because you are better at it or you enjoy playing it. I was stubborn and went down the Brits as my first. That is not a very noob friendly nation.

Ikanator #15 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 11:49

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5540 battles

I have focused mainly on TDs. The ones I am playing are the American, British (turreted) and German  (casemate) lines.

The casemate mounted guns take some getting used to, and regardless of which line of TDs you pick you're going to have to play at least a couple of casemate gun TDs before you get to the turreted ones.

The British turreted TDs have to be played with care as they tend to be glass canons. You will also have to play the Archer at tier V which is a quirky casemate mounted TD before you get to the turreted variants at tier VI and up.

American turreted TDs run through a couple of different lines before they settle down to one line being casemate mounted and the other being turreted. My preferences were for the M8A1, the Wolverine, and the Jackson though that required skipping back and forth between different lines. Some people think that the T67 and the Hellcat are the greatest things since sliced bread, but I didn't like them that much. The T25/2 has a relatively underpowered gun that doesn't penetrate that well. Be prepared to spam lots of premium ammo.

As far as German TDs go, the Hetzer is a good little tank, the StuG III G is a gem, I think that the JagdPanzer IV with the 75mmL70 gun is underappreciated, and the JagdPanther with the 10.5cm gun is my go to tank on tier VII.

The British have a line of casemate mounted TDs that are slow, heavily armored barely mobile fortresses. Not my cup of tea but other people like them.

The Germans have a line of turreted TDs. It was.my impression that while they had good guns and good stealth capabilities, they tended to be relatively slow glass cannons. At least the British turreted TDs were fast glass canons.

I haven't played Russian TDs. Lots of people like them and recommend them. They do have their strong points. You will be limited to casemate mounted guns though. Compared to other TDs they have the reputation of being somewhat blind with guns that aren't as accurate as those used by other nations, though they usually pack one heck of a punch.

I haven't done anything with French TDs. The Mighty Jingles has a well regarded YouTube channel where he has a lot of WoT specific content. He reviewed the JagdPanzer IV and trashed it (something I would disagree with him on). Then he reviewed the French tier equivalent TD. Part of that review consisted of The Mighty Jingles publicly apologizing to the JagdPanzer IV. Need I.say more?

Swedish TDs are the ultimate glass canons. I do not recommend them.

Final notes: 

All TDs are vulnerable to being circle strafed, so be careful operating on your own.

With the exception of assault gun variant TDs your armor is going to be relatively light for your tier. Avoid getting into short range brawls unless you have no other alternative.

You should arguably always equip binoculars. Granted they only work when you're stationary, but TDs are almost always primarily intended to hide and snipe. You can't snipe if you can't see and towards the end of the game there may be no friendly scouts available.

Roggg2 #16 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 13:15

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14283 battles
  • [H1VOC] H1VOC

Light tanks are really just not noob friendly.  Scout MM is brutal for inexperienced players.  I played through to the chaffee before I had many clues about the game, and I was ridiculously bad at it.  There are no "noob friendly" light tank lines.

Mediums:  t-34 (via the T80 so you avoid scout MM) is probably the easiest medium grind I've done yet.  

TDs:  I think the German are the easiest, although I haven't played the french.  For the german line, you want to go to the Stug IIIG, and through to the JP side of the tech tree.  The American are pretty good too, although the lighter armor makes them more vulnerable for newer players.

HT:  KV1 through the IS side of the tree obviously.  

SPG: my experience is limited.  The low-mid tier germans are actually pretty good, but the high tiers are near useless, so while I believe it's noob friendly, it's also a bad investment in end-game content.  I'm told the American are the "all-arounders", so that's probably the right answer. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users