POLL: End Mountain Goating?

Mountain Goat BAAAA

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: End mountain goating yay or NAYYYY (181 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battles in order to participate this poll.

End mountain goating?

1. Yay (73 votes [40.33%])

Percentage of vote: 40.33%

2. Nayyyyy (108 votes [59.67%])

Percentage of vote: 59.67%

Vote Hide poll

Nebu_f13 #61 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 00:31

Major

• Players
  • 22699 battles
Why not just make tier 8-10 maps bigger... then we won't need 'creative play' like this. 

TRU_voodoo #62 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 00:37

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19093 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
It's currently my favorite thing about the game. The only people I see crying about it are typically 45% baddies who only play heavies and think you should never be able to pen them. How dare people practice something that gives them an advantage. 

madogthefirst #63 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 00:42

Major

• Players
  • 20816 battles
  • [CSA-1] CSA-1

View PostTRU_voodoo, on Mar 20 2017 - 15:37, said:

It's currently my favorite thing about the game. The only people I see crying about it are typically 45% baddies who only play heavies and think you should never be able to pen them. How dare people practice something that gives them an advantage. 

It is almost like it is a PvP game and map exploits are game breaking.

Avalon304 #64 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 00:45

Major

• Players
  • 15443 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
I say remove it. Its pretty clear that, based on the minimaps it is not an intended mechanic.

LpBronco #65 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 00:48

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 35153 battles
  • [_F_] _F_

So what, you need roads and map markers showing you where to go. There's a reason these things have TREADS and not pneumatic wheels.

... and it's the game mechanics that allow you to get into these positions so just give it a rest.

Edited by LpBronco, Mar 21 2017 - 01:00.

24cups #66 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 00:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20094 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostLpBronco, on Mar 20 2017 - 18:48, said:

So what, you need roads and map markers showing you where to go. There's a reason these things have THREADS and not pneumatic wheels.

... and it's the game mechanics that allow you to get into these positions so just give it a rest.

+1. If you can go there, why do people think you shouldn't be allowed ? With that logic, you shouldn't be able to camp behind bushes, that's abusing the vision mechanics and unfair to noobs.

Avalon304 #67 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 00:55

Major

• Players
  • 15443 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostLpBronco, on Mar 20 2017 - 15:48, said:

So what, you need roads and map markers showing you where to go. There's a reason these things have THREADS and not pneumatic wheels.

So... theres a reason the minimaps are very clearly marked as to what areas should allow tanks, and what areas shouldnt. This is especially visable on the new updated minimaps that have been rolling out over the last few patches. There are areas intended for playing on and areas where player shouldnt be allowed to go.

Just because the game mechanics allow it doesnt mean its intended for players to be there.

EDIT: Also tanks have TREADS not THREADS

Edited by Avalon304, Mar 21 2017 - 00:55.

madogthefirst #68 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 00:55

Major

• Players
  • 20816 battles
  • [CSA-1] CSA-1

View Post24cups, on Mar 20 2017 - 15:53, said:

+1. If you can go there, why do people think you shouldn't be allowed ? With that logic, you shouldn't be able to camp behind bushes, that's abusing the vision mechanics and unfair to noobs.

Ever notice how those areas are blacked out on the mini-map? That tells you right away those were never intended, if they were all tanks would be able to make it up there with little effort.

LpBronco #69 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 01:10

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 35153 battles
  • [_F_] _F_

So again you need road markers and permission. If you weren't given the option then there would be invisible walls blocking your access or visible rocks as in other areas to deny access at certain spots.

It allows for fresh and innovative gameplay from a collection of tired and overplayed maps so you don't like it, we get it now go play the other game and leave us alone but stop with second guessing the game design or come up with the 2 billion it would take to be the "Boss".

Avalon304 #70 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 01:21

Major

• Players
  • 15443 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Post24cups, on Mar 20 2017 - 15:53, said:

+1. If you can go there, why do people think you shouldn't be allowed ?

Ok... so here's the minimap of Sacred Valley: (as taken, unedited, from the games files)

The two most common climbs I'm aware of on this map involve the mountains behind the northern base, and the mountains that run along the east end of the map. Do you notice something different about the  colour and markings of the mountains in those two positions? They are darkened, and hashed out. This is clearly to designate them as off limits to players. You can very clearly see the intended play area of this map.

Here's the minimap of Mines: (again taken unedited from the game files)

The two most common climbs I've seen on this map involve the mountains in the northeast corner, and the mountains that run along the eastern edge of the map. Again, they are very clearly marked as non-playable areas by being bother darkened and hashed out.

Here's the minimap of Arctic Region: (as before, unedited, directly from the game files)

I know of two climbs on this map, the mountains in the north-east behind the northern spawn, and the mountain in the south, next to the southern spawn. As before, these areas are clearly marked as off limits to players, by being darkened and hashed out.

Are you seeing the pattern yet? Should I continue telling you how, despite the mechanics allowing it, it isn't actually intended? Should I also point out that your comparison to using a bush as concealment is flawed because bush camouflage is clearly an intended mechanic by the developers?

Maps have areas designated as playable for a reason. Remember a few patches ago, when tank had 0 terrain resistance when underwater? You could get to so many places. The game mechanics allowed it. But clearly it was unintended and removed. This is no different.

madogthefirst #71 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 02:28

Major

• Players
  • 20816 battles
  • [CSA-1] CSA-1

View PostLpBronco, on Mar 20 2017 - 16:10, said:

So again you need road markers and permission. If you weren't given the option then there would be invisible walls blocking your access or visible rocks as in other areas to deny access at certain spots.

It allows for fresh and innovative gameplay from a collection of tired and overplayed maps so you don't like it, we get it now go play the other game and leave us alone but stop with second guessing the game design or come up with the 2 billion it would take to be the "Boss".

Who else remembers the fresh innovative play of T-22 mission rigging? 

LpBronco #72 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 04:21

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 35153 battles
  • [_F_] _F_

apples and frogs

your comparison is junk logic at its worst

muscles1 #73 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 10:36

Captain

• Players
  • 31979 battles
  • [4HIMK] 4HIMK

Hi there muscles1,

Thank you for contacting us here at Wargaming support.

We see that you want to know if climbing mountains or terrains in the game is illegal.

We apologize for any confusion about the game rules.

As long as your tank is in the map, you are not violating the EULA terms.

This means that mountain goating or climbing is LEGAL and as long as you are inside the map, you can be there.

The only illegal move is glitching INSIDE mountains, terrains, and other obstacles in the maps of the game.

We hope this clears your query about the EULA terms.

Please stop complaining now.

Avalon304 #74 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 11:13

Major

• Players
  • 15443 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Postmuscles1, on Mar 21 2017 - 01:36, said:

Hi there muscles1,

Thank you for contacting us here at Wargaming support.

We see that you want to know if climbing mountains or terrains in the game is illegal.

We apologize for any confusion about the game rules.

As long as your tank is in the map, you are not violating the EULA terms.

This means that mountain goating or climbing is LEGAL and as long as you are inside the map, you can be there.

The only illegal move is glitching INSIDE mountains, terrains, and other obstacles in the maps of the game.

We hope this clears your query about the EULA terms.

How much you want to bet support doesnt even know what youre talking about? There are VERY CLEARLY areas designated as unplayable on the minimaps.

MacDaddyMatty #75 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 12:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 13712 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostHelmz, on Mar 20 2017 - 17:52, said:

I haven't had much time to play the game :(.  But when I do,  first thing is to join the goat group as i see it as the perfect way to really learn the maps.  As an active tramper/hunter in RL, mountain goating and knowing the lay of the land is very appealing to me :).  Long live the Goat!.

Hey, we do training most Friday nights and often will do some mountain-goating in the team training rooms.

It is a lot of fun (details in my sig if interested).

Another fun thing SanguTik taught us is where everyone turns off their HUD and plays hide and seek, Usually the hiders have low tier and the seeker has a higher tier.

:D

FrozenKemp #76 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 12:47

Major

• Players
  • 40446 battles
  • [27PZR] 27PZR

View PostLpBronco, on Mar 20 2017 - 18:48, said:

So what, you need roads and map markers showing you where to go. There's a reason these things have TREADS and not pneumatic wheels.

Bwahahahah... the game's physics only bear a remote resemblance to reality.  For instance, even tracked tanks do not DRIVE DOWN CLIFFS and take no damage to the vehicle or the crew.  

Roggg2 #77 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 13:06

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15088 battles
  • [H1VOC] H1VOC

Yes, end mountain goating.  And hull-down.  And double-bush.  and all other abuses of terrain.

But seriously... players should be doing everything they can to make every use of the terrain to improve their chances to win.  Map designers should not be surprised when players make creative use of features.  They should be inspired and impressed.   

_Juris #78 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 15:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14989 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View Postmuscles1, on Mar 21 2017 - 04:36, said:

Is it legal?  Yes.  Is it legal because WG does not have any effective way to police it, as opposed to legal because it is viewed as a perfectly intended part of gameplay?  I think you will have a hard time making a convincing argument against that, especially because most of these spots only became "available" with the addition of "realistic physics."

I'm kind of ambivalent about goating - it's not something I feel like spending the time to learn to do, but I don't think it's "cheating."  I'm 100% okay with those climbs that allow to you to reach an ordinarily-accessible spot by a different route.  I do not like (and yes, I wish WG would remove) the climbs that allow tanks to reach spots that were clearly not intended to be accessible, but as long as WG removes those climbs that really are game-breaking, I suppose I don't care if they leave the others in the game.

TodSoldat #79 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 15:46

Major

• Players
  • 32239 battles
  • [-M4-] -M4-

View Postmadogthefirst, on Mar 20 2017 - 14:48, said:

They need to be made easily accessible or they need to be blocked off. Makes no sense that a jerk can hide in the back of the map the entire game and be able to defend thier cap while no one can reach them or worse light them. Map exploiters should be blacklisted and reported by everyone in the battle they partake in.

This is the worst argument I've seen to remove it. I'm tired of this new mentality of making things so everyone can do it. I don't want easy mode, when I do something great I wanna earn it when someone else does something equally great I want them to earn it. Rarely have I seen "mountain goats" make an honest difference in the game, when they do happen to be in a viable position I love the challenge of figuring a way to get past their defenses. Easy mode is for goobers

TRU_voodoo #80 Posted Mar 21 2017 - 20:31

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19093 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

View Postmadogthefirst, on Mar 21 2017 - 00:42, said:

It is almost like it is a PvP game and map exploits are game breaking.

Game breaking for bad players who are not willing to put the time in. It's the same as BXR, BXB, and double shot in Halo 2 (may you live forever in our memories Halo 2).

I have won games where enemy players went to climbs that are considered 'game breaking' and I have also lost games where I have done climbs that are being claimed as 'game breaking. Instead of a post about whether or not climbs should be removed from the game, it should be asking 'what can be done to make this game less linear?'. I mentioned that climbs are my favorite thing about this game...I should mention that late game fights are also very enjoyable to me. I love when the map opens up and I have the ability to play mind games with the enemy by using space and misdirection because the standard lane is opened up. 

The mountain goat meta is just another way of opening up maps that are often very restrictive...

Edit: This was my first game after posting this, lol... http://wotreplays.com/site/3447649#tundra-tru_voodoo-bat_-ch_tillon_25_t

Edited by TRU_voodoo, Mar 21 2017 - 20:48.

Also tagged with Mountain Goat, BAAAA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users