Russian Bias: Tinfoil, or Truth?

russia bias rng op

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Russian Bias, is it Tinfoil or Truth? (126 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battles in order to participate this poll.

Is Russian Bias Real?

1. Russian Bias is Truth. (88 votes [69.84%])

Percentage of vote: 69.84%

2. Russian Bias is a Tinfoil excuse for weird RNG and crap players. (38 votes [30.16%])

Percentage of vote: 30.16%

Vote Hide poll

StiffWind #61 Posted Aug 12 2017 - 20:03

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7255 battles

View PostE25_Syndrome_Yuno, on Mar 22 2017 - 21:33, said:

ABSOLUTELY is REAL.

It is only logical as well.

* Belarussian Company

* Most Customers are russian

* Russian vehicle glorifying

* Mocking of Axis powers, and not including

any axis Tanker Ace Hero awards.

* Medals are pained over with destroyed German vehicles,

with russian ones standing on top, Game art in General is like this.

* Finnish material lacking from ' game '

* Russian vehicles get the most ' lucky ' with the hits.

* Corridors in ' game ' favor russian vehicles.

I could continue this list for very long.

But you do see enough already.

Such is the truth.

It is ' understandable ' that Wargaming does this, but it is STILL wrong.

However, I do really like this ' product ' and wish that its future is long.

Such is this, my friend.

I'd go on to add that it's anti-German as much as pro-Russian.  The Panther, Tiger I and Tiger II, chronologically, belong one tier lower than they are in the game.  The Pershing belongs one tier lower as well.  The Panther and Tiger were in the field in '43, but go up against Russian tanks that were introduced much later.  The Pershing and Tiger II show up early in '45, but the IS3 never was in the field during the war...yet that's the tank they go up against (tier 8).  Russians are largely imbued with a hatred of Nazis...it's in all their schools.  So it makes sense.  But as has been said before, it doesn't make it right.

otacon237 #62 Posted Aug 12 2017 - 23:15

Major

• Players
  • 22000 battles

why necro this?

View PostHalonut24, on Mar 24 2017 - 16:14, said:

I guess what I mean by "Russian Bias" is the notion of Russian Vehicles being overall superior in any category, for whatever reason. RNG, armor, guns, etc..(RNG probably the most though) They just have some nutty RNG, and some of the explainations are along the lines of Russian Bias. Case in point: the KV-2 and ISU-152 w/ BL-10.

Both are hillariously fun tanks with horrid gun-handling, but we see them sometimes slaughtering people in matches and making impossible shots, and we see few others do so. What other non-arty tier 6 has a 152mm howitzer? That thing can actually hold it's own in tier X. I suppose that those events are a little inflated due to the guns stats, and when a shot defies the stats, it's crazy. 

Like the "Hand of Stalin" and "Sacrificing political dissidents to the Gulags to let your shots hit." That kind of stuff. 

The definitions you supplied make sense, but are more serious than what I normally think of it as.

I immigrated from former USSR (Ukraine) and speak Russian and watch Russian youtubers.

Yes there is Russian bias, but not in the way you describe. the bias is that they will listen to their Russian community first, so whatever tanks they like are the ones that usually get attention. a lot of times those are Russian, sometimes they are not. look at the Maus for instance. This is one of the most commonly owned tanks on the Russian server, and why it go so overbuffed. a lot of Russians are wehraboos. don't forget Russia has half of the world's neo-Nazi population. it is ironic considering events that occurred during WW2, but they love german tanks. it is also the reason the batchat nerfs were halted, a lot of Russian players stood up against it.

so yes, there is bias. it is not necessarily because "the tank is Russian so we can't have it look bad". it is more "this is what our Russian players want so we will give it to them". a lot of Russian players do start off on Russian tanks but they play other nations as well.

for the most part, they are smart enough to recognize that having Russian tanks stronger than everything else will ruin the game balance. don't forget that according to WOTLABS, the Russian servers statistically have the best players of any server. http://www.wotlabs.net/ru So most of them are not stupid enough to think all Russian tanks need to be good out of some weird national pride. but the game is very much designed around the Russian preferences and playstyles, which may or may not agree with players from other servers.

rest assured however a lot of Russian players are just as angry as NA and EU players at WG for some of the decisions they are making. 

RU                                                       

Average Win Rate: 54.44%
Average WN8: 1810
Recent Win Rate: 54.82%
Recent WN8: 2018
Average Tier: 7.46

NA average active player stats

Active Players

Average Win Rate: 49.8%
Average WN8: 1049
Recent Win Rate: 50.67%
Recent WN8: 1235
Average Tier:

lukzomg1 #63 Posted Aug 12 2017 - 23:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38132 battles

View PostNudnick, on Mar 22 2017 - 20:30, said:

It's a Russian game, made by and for Russians. Of course it's biased towards Russian tanks.

Bielorussian.....and they are NOT russian.  As a matter of fact they are not too fond of russia because it conquered and occupied them for centuries.

StiffWind #64 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 00:54

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7255 battles

View Postlukzomg1, on Aug 12 2017 - 23:42, said:

Bielorussian.....and they are NOT russian.  As a matter of fact they are not too fond of russia because it conquered and occupied them for centuries.

No they are not Russian by decent.  But they are very much so in current population.  Remember, this was the Soviet Union days...and borders between Soviet block countries were wide open.  Ukraine is also very much Russian...hence the civil war that's been going on there for awhile now...between traditional Ukrainians in the west, and the largely Russian population in the east.  Short version...it's not as simple as you've made it out to be.  But the Russian tanks are certainly given a leg up in this game...especially when compared with the German tanks of the same time period.

EmperorJuliusCaesar #65 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 03:15

Captain

• Players
  • 18284 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostNudnick, on Mar 22 2017 - 12:30, said:

It's a Russian game, made by and for Russians. Of course it's biased towards Russian tanks.

The game is from Belarus, NOT Russia.  Wow people...

StiffWind #66 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 03:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7255 battles

View PostEmperorJuliusCaesar, on Aug 13 2017 - 03:15, said:

Which, under the circumstances (read my above post), means nothing.

BeanHoleBandit #67 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 03:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12473 battles
  • [M0B] M0B

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Mar 22 2017 - 21:31, said:

There are good and bad tanks from every tier, nation and class, so I don't care if there is Russky tank stats bias or not.

There is no "weird" RNG, though... there is only RNG, all RNG originates at the firing of the gun and is the same for every tank, player, team and battle.

Although this is true Bloom of the onion can make it feel like extra RNG.. 

Zombie_Snuggles #68 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 07:26

Private

• -Players-
  • 15629 battles
  • [BWSO] BWSO

View PostDockmaster, on Mar 22 2017 - 21:33, said:

So funny.

When Fighter Ace was Russian everyone said the Russian planes were UBER.

When we got bought by a Japanese company it was Japanese planes that were OP.

When it was brought back to American shores all the US planes were superior.

This poll makes me laugh...and laughing is a good thing.

I miss that game! Played it for 10 years.

lionheart1118 #69 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 17:11

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11853 battles
Considering they are buffing Russian meds and heavy to be better than everything else once again I'd say it's pretty damn bias.

Drseckzytime #70 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 21:29

Major

• Players
  • 16085 battles
  • [PBLRD] PBLRD
The thing that gets me is how the "soft stats" have become far more valuable than the "hard stats" in that Rambo-on-the-go-scoot-and-shoot is more accurate than the German "sniper" tanks with superior accuracy stats shown.  Which tanks feature this?  Well, many Russian tanks.  Which they're buffing.  Instead of not buffing something like the Leopard 1 which is in dire-need of buffs.

lukzomg1 #71 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 01:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38132 battles

View PostStiffWind, on Aug 12 2017 - 23:54, said:

No they are not Russian by decent.  But they are very much so in current population.  Remember, this was the Soviet Union days...and borders between Soviet block countries were wide open.  Ukraine is also very much Russian...hence the civil war that's been going on there for awhile now...between traditional Ukrainians in the west, and the largely Russian population in the east.  Short version...it's not as simple as you've made it out to be.  But the Russian tanks are certainly given a leg up in this game...especially when compared with the German tanks of the same time period.

And you have definite information of WG employees ancestry for sure....ya ok.

lukzomg1 #72 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 01:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38132 battles

View PostEmperorJuliusCaesar, on Aug 13 2017 - 02:15, said:

Your circumstances are really just baseless assumptions...

lukzomg1 #73 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 01:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38132 battles

View PostStiffWind, on Aug 12 2017 - 19:03, said:

I'd go on to add that it's anti-German as much as pro-Russian.  The Panther, Tiger I and Tiger II, chronologically, belong one tier lower than they are in the game.  The Pershing belongs one tier lower as well.  The Panther and Tiger were in the field in '43, but go up against Russian tanks that were introduced much later.  The Pershing and Tiger II show up early in '45, but the IS3 never was in the field during the war...yet that's the tank they go up against (tier 8).  Russians are largely imbued with a hatred of Nazis...it's in all their schools.  So it makes sense.  But as has been said before, it doesn't make it right.

E75 and maus line laughs at you silliness, oh and ru too

the_Deadly_Bulb #74 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 04:06

Captain

• Players
  • 17379 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostHalonut24, on Mar 22 2017 - 12:25, said:

I guess I'm just in a Russian mood, but I want to know from you, do you think that Russian Bias is a real thing? Is it a joke? An excuse for bad gameplay?

You decide. Feel free to discuss in the comments.

I sure hope so! :honoring:

slavjur #75 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 06:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 31511 battles
  • [UFTS] UFTS

View Postotacon237, on Aug 12 2017 - 22:15, said:

don't forget Russia has half of the world's neo-Nazi population. it is ironic considering events that occurred during WW2, but they love german tanks. it is also the reason the batchat nerfs were halted, a lot of Russian players stood up against it.

Any prove of above? It is really ironic to read above yours and see news about riot at Charlottesville (with neo-Nazi slogans and salutes)...

I would suggest to discuss only game related topics at forum and do not fall to discuss nations/politics. Keep your phobia with yourself in your new motherland...

Edited by slavjur, Aug 14 2017 - 06:45.

slavjur #76 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 06:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 31511 battles
  • [UFTS] UFTS

View Postlukzomg1, on Aug 14 2017 - 00:50, said:

All high level german TDs are doing the same. As well as Japanese HTs...

German/Japanese bias????

Think the simple answer about assumption on presence any bias in game would be providing average win rate for particular tier and type of tanks. Don't think tanks of USSR will be too far from others. 

Edited by slavjur, Aug 14 2017 - 08:35.

I_QQ_4_U #77 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 07:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11956 battles
Russian tanks, particularly their heavies and mediums, generally suit the game playstyle better than most on average, I doubt there's any bias at all especially considering there's no 'side', it not like an MMO where the whiners can at least point to one side getting better treatment than the other(s) because some dev plays that side. If this were more of a simulator it would be a lot more balanced.

teamoldmill #78 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 16:20

Major

• Players
  • 13879 battles

View Postdeathsheads, on Mar 22 2017 - 23:50, said:

SO here is the thing.there once was soviet bias, if only because of a MASSIVE series of unfortunate cicrumstances and design choices that cumulatively gave that impression, but now today it only exists in the realm of top tier medium (and maybe soon scout...) balance.

Long ago, in a client version long forgotten in history, when only the Ruskies and Wehraboos fought it out

In a time when tanks warped around, meaning you COULD NOT snipe at range because the engine LITERALLY required autoaim because the tanks warped around till they got closer (hence the small city maps...)

When there were no consumables, not even repair kits, med kits OR FIRE EXTINGUISHERS, you get racked, tough cookies.

When soviet tanks being much smaller wouldn't be spotted until they had already fired due to even WORSE camo system than today where size was more heavily weighted into calculations.

When german tanks got set on fire from front because transmission equals engine fire...and since lower plate WAS transmission...AND the weakspot...well you can imagine how that went.

In a time when a bug caused the Tiger 1 H to have 10% module health, and thus literally BREAK if it got hit by something and then set on fire and then burn to near death due to LACK OF CONSUMABLES

When there were no tier 10s besides the IS7 and Maus, and the Maus had a model error that meant if the mudguards on the FRONT of the tank got penned the tank took damage (40mm of armor btw...on a maus...this is why it had 3600 hp for a time)

When the IS4 had 9 degrees of gun depression and the IS7 gun, got to fight against the Ausf Bacon (it burned A LOT) with thinner sides, smaller engine, and lower top speed

When german mantlets had a bug which made them LITERALLY 0 armor holes where shells could do damage AND break the gun (no fixing gun)

When the ferdi shot slower than now, had smaller engine, could only go 20 not 30, and had worse camo than now versus the ISU152 we have in game now

When the panther 1 had the Panther 2 turret and fought the T44

When Panther 2 had to fight T54 which had bugged hitbox giving it IS4 level armor...and better mobility than it has today, versus tanks without gold rounds and with lower average pen guns than today...

When the KV was just the KV, the KV1 and KV2 were both tier 5s...so yeah 152mm at TIER 5...(I used 107 frankly, more reliable and faster ttk)

When the VK3601H fought KV3s at tier 6...(yep...122mm KV3 versus L56 Vk.  Till people gold spammed 75mm konisch till they nerfed it)

When arty stopped at tier 5 hummel for germans, and tier 6 for soviets...but the tier 6 SU-14 or S51 could 2 shot tier 10s 95/100 times....and the HE went MUCH MUCH MUCH faster such that arty LITERALLY hit or high splashed 90% of time if the player was good.  (Seriously I miss these days, counterbattery was an AMAZING skill and watching high level arty play a true snipers duel was amazing.  Do I shoot tanks or kill the enemy arty?  If he knows where I am I WILL die if I fire, do I move to odd location?  You had to move after every shot to avoid being hunted.  Hummel was fast enough to dodge but did less damage, the soviets did huge damage but were much more likely to be countered, a good rock paper scissors balance.  I am quite sad what arty has now become, they kept the annoyance and lost the few good aspects)

But worst of all...

WHEN THERE WAS a fricken +-4 MM that meant tier 5s had to fight tier 9s...the german tanks went for DPM and rof instead of Pen and Alpha, the soviets went for Pen and Alpha.  KV at tier 5 could fight against tier 7s, 8s and could hold its own damage wise on tier 9 flanks....but the Darth Vader Pz4 was absolutely screwed.  Gold rounds were ACTUALLY gold rounds then, and as such you couldn't just spam APCR like now, what pen you had you had.  JP4 with 88 or long 75 versus IS3s, IS4s, IS7s, and the WARPING made it so you couldnt even try to outsnipe them...it was horror to be low tier.  Every second you were one second removed from death. 

I miss these days honestly, at least being hopelessly outgunned was blatant. HE worked differently too.

Sgt__Guffy #79 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 16:51

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1402 battles

If there is a Russian bias, I put it down to the general popularity the vehicles have with the players!

I can only go on experience, but for beginners Russian tanks are better, as they actually have armour. You can often make a mistake and get away with it, unlike other nations trees! This learning process goes up the tiers as well. If you are playing a new tier for the first time then the Russian vehicle may be the one of choice. To me accuracy matters, but many players seem to prefer powerful guns. With the standard of play such as it is accuracy doesn't come into it. Point and shoot! With Russian firepower you are likely to get a good result, because the player doesn't know, or care , whether a miss is a result if their lack of ability or RNG and a less accurate gun!

I observe what players choose to play in team battles. The IS3 is usually the tank of choice by far. Some of my clan mates found it inconceivable I did not have one! I tended to go for the American vehicles at the time. 

I don't play any Russian tanks now. I started with a little MS1 and how I loved that little tank. Pity that I was a disaster with Russian tanks. I did try but, with the exception of the KV1, I couldn't get on with them at all. So if there is a bias it wasn't something that was an advantage to me.

Have fun.

Guffy. 

StiffWind #80 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 21:45

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7255 battles

View Postlukzomg1, on Aug 14 2017 - 01:50, said:

Blueprint tanks that never existed in real life.  Take a look at the chronology of real tanks like the Panther, Tiger I and Tiger II...when they were actually in the field.  For example, a Tiger II never went up against an IS3 in reality, yet they're both Tier VIII.  The bias is real.

Also tagged with russia, bias, rng, op

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users