Why do Airstrikes and Artillery Strikes exist?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Mortals #1 Posted Mar 28 2017 - 07:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 29230 battles
Streamable Video of Artillery and Airstrikes in action.

cloudwalkr #2 Posted Mar 28 2017 - 07:49

Major

• Players
  • 51437 battles
  • [FUSON] FUSON
What is "Dynamic Gameplay" for 2000, Alex.

Hans_von_Twitchy #3 Posted Mar 28 2017 - 08:19

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 38822 battles
  • [-R-O-] -R-O-

I can think of only two explanations:

1) WG is dumbing the game down, to turn it into a luck-based video game that they can market to a much wider audience, or

2) WG's management is even stupider than I thought.

RushingJaws #4 Posted Mar 28 2017 - 10:13

Captain

• Players
  • 12686 battles
  • [NICO] NICO

To speed up the game and/or discourage holding static positions with heavy armor.

Oh and to make more boxes. :teethhappy:

Tilith #5 Posted Mar 28 2017 - 10:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23504 battles
  • [ANVIL] ANVIL

To stop camping,

To punish players who dont spread out

To stop noobs that only know cap tactics

Its a good gameplay aspect

Mortals #6 Posted Mar 28 2017 - 11:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 29230 battles

View PostTilith, on Mar 28 2017 - 04:21, said:

To stop camping,

To punish players who dont spread out

To stop noobs that only know cap tactics

Its a good gameplay aspect

None of that is how it works in practice.  Most effective camps on most maps are spread out.   Most attacks are a concentrated force of tanks.  Airstrikes and Arty strikes are generally more effective for punishing an attack than punishing a camp.

Why should cap tactics be punished?  In the first clip one team parks all their tanks in the middle of the map spaced out enough to only let one be hit by airstrikes at a time.  The other team takes map control, maintains vision, defends their cap, and has the ability to flex around and attack from multiple angles.  

Your opinion is that discouraging the team who takes map control, maintains vision and attacks the objective is "good gameplay"?

Why isn't this "good gameplay aspect" included in things like Clan League or Pro League?  The answer is because it is NOT a good gameplay aspect.  Artillery and Airstrike does not encourage dynamic nor interesting play.  Artillery and Airstrike do not require positioning nor sacrificing a tank like regular Artillery does in an organized match.  Artillery and Airstrikes, most often, randomly does 0 to multiple tanks Hitpoints worth of damage to tanks who take standard positions at the start of battles.

Edited by Mortals, Mar 28 2017 - 11:07.

Aquatic_Poi #7 Posted Mar 28 2017 - 11:48

Staff sergeant

• WGLNA Bronze League Player
  • 28159 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

Dont stay static.

Dont group closely.

An arty or air strike is just as avoidable as normal arty, just keep moving and dont spread out. Also, even if you say it's a bad mechanic, both teams have them. Yeah, it took out one of your key guys, just use yours to do the same and we're back at square one. Learn to use them effectively and you will never be at a disadvantage because of them.

If you ever lose a tank to a strike it should only be 1, maybe 2. Lose/dmg 3 and its your own fault tbh. Even though it can be a pain sometimes, I kinda like the mechanic, as it keeps teams on their feet and helps prevent some dumb camps. Mountain Pass north spawn in an advance? nah fam, arty strikes. Ive never seen Mountain Pass be so dynamic, and I dont mean that sarcastically. Also capping is a little more risky, and deciding when is the right time to use your strike and knowing when the enemy has can be a game of its own.

Edited by Aquatic_Poi, Mar 28 2017 - 11:50.

Black_Stealth_Badger41 #8 Posted Mar 28 2017 - 12:06

Captain

• Players
  • 35655 battles
  • [POSHY] POSHY

Arty as a class in this game is Broken. At least in Strongholds for the Arty strike it's directed at a Coordinated point on the map. Like Arty was intended though not Surgical laser guided munition strikes from space. It should be a wider circle the shells fall into. I Honestly Don't think they need the Airstike one though.

I do like the stun factor on the Sandbox but i think it needs to be shorter in Duration.

But there are serious improvements that need to be done with that class or it needs to be removed entirely from the game and have more of a map coordinate arty strike .

Each team has 2 players in that are randomly assigned the Arty call (s) per game. Your team know who they are, The Enemy team doesn't.

Or even better increase the value of light tanks by giving that privilege only to Light tanks (Or certain Mediums tanks if lights aren't in a match)  to make the call but only 2-3 per team Max. with  4-5 minute reload on it.

It would Increase the number of Light tank players as they get the damage from the strike. Also it would stop light players from yoloing into death as they could take a passive spotting position and have indirect fire command through what they are doing SPOTTING for the tanks and indirect fire support.

Extraordinaire #9 Posted Mar 28 2017 - 12:36

Captain

• Players
  • 24579 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
I think WG should get us naval support on maps with water. 

spacecubicnub #10 Posted Mar 28 2017 - 12:43

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 19780 battles
  • [TBOOM] TBOOM

cause it is fun blowing up camping crapfrom space

and no I don't mean "outer space" i mean me... space... blowing up that camping oi :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users