Best tank destroyer line?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

PureTanker #1 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 13:15

Private

• -Players-
  • 471 battles

Hey WOT Players,

I'm new to the game (kind of). I've played PC before but I have the most experience on console (XONE). On console I have a tier 6 Russian TD (Obj. 268 line), a tier 5 German TD (waffentrager/grille line), and tier 7 American heavy line (T29; E5 line). I am getting used to PC but I have some experience. With that said, which tank destroyer line is the best? I want a good tier 10 at the end as well. I play like a usual TD; stay back, find enemies, and fire. Are there any lines that are forgiving and at the end have a good tier 10 TD? I was thinking grille 15 or jagdpanzer line for German TD's but I'm not sure. If anyone can help that would be good.

Also if it's possible please tell me a brief description on how to "play" the TD, like which part is strong or weak. Thanks

PureTanker #2 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 13:16

Private

• -Players-
  • 471 battles
Also I'm on PC, I just had experience in the past with console. But I'm playing on PC

ttmm3 #3 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 13:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 16696 battles
  • [TUF] TUF
I'd say the easiest to start with would be the russians or the germans. Swedes are a bit different with their siege mechanics, from what I hear the brits get pretty rough to play, and i haven't talked about the americans a whole lot.

Thijs79 #4 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 13:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 46558 battles
  • [9-PDH] 9-PDH

268 line is good but the tier 10 sucks...

263 line is good to with a nice tier 10 aswell

JpzE-100 is a good overall line now the tier6 has a better gun since the buff.. i would go for that 1!!

Good luck and welcome!!

dagger_blades #5 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 13:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 13018 battles
  • [OM-US] OM-US
the new swede TD tanks are the best snipers in the game and most of the whole line is good with the strv 103b having 2nd highest dpm in the game

Roggg2 #6 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 13:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 17069 battles
  • [H1VOC] H1VOC

IMO, you cant go wrong on the German lines.  The JPanther side of the line is easier than the "glass cannon" side, especially for newer players, although the JPE100 as I understand it, has a lower skill ceiling than the Grille 15.  Tier 8 is very sweet on both lines.  

I'm at tier 7 on the Russian line (Su-152), and it's fine, but I'm not loving it.  The poor accuracy and reload of the derp makes it much more team dependent than the Germans, and if I was going to play it without the derp, I may as well play a german line.

Harkonen_siegetank #7 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 13:44

Major

• Players
  • 27963 battles
  • [_LOL_] _LOL_
Definitely stay away from British TD. AT line is a snoozefest and turreted line is squishy.

Ruestir #8 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 14:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19725 battles
  • [M-I-T] M-I-T
The US turreted TD line going up the the T110 E4 is pretty nice.

Roggg2 #9 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 14:23

Captain

• -Players-
  • 17069 battles
  • [H1VOC] H1VOC

View PostRuestir, on Apr 04 2017 - 08:10, said:

The US turreted TD line going up the the T110 E4 is pretty nice.

I've never heard anything nice said about the t25/2 or the t28 prot, although I've been told the T30 makes it worthwhile.  

Gothraul #10 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 14:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 1526 battles

Go American on both lines the first time around as they make great learning lines due to their ease and comfort then once you are done consider German and Russian lines. Avoid playing the British and Swedish as the skill requirements are inflated for reasons that many do not like even though the tier 8 through 10 Swedish TDs are some of the most broken tanks in the game.

Avoid the Swedish line until much later on because the low and mid tiers are some of the most cancerous grinds in the game hands down.

Avoid the French line because they were over nerfed and have been crap for more than two years now plus you get focused by people wanting a kill for their master tanker.

Avoid the British lines as they are a struggle between low alpha, poor mobility, and gold spam though they the Death Star 183mm hesh.

Still waiting for the Japanese TDs and the yet to be release Chinese TDs will be exclusive (for a while) to the Chinese server. The only complaint about the American TD lines is that there is no proper premium tank so my advice is to get the crews started in something like a T14 (when available cheap) or the Super P then train the crews over once you got at least two full perks. As for the T25/2 and T28 Prot they are not really TDs play wise but they are part of the E4 TD line but I enjoyed them as they offered more freedom of play style wise. T28 Prot onward are really support heavies and for me they are easier to use than the T32 and M103.

84Doc04 #11 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 14:58

Captain

• -Players-
  • 17925 battles
  • [E-T-D] E-T-D

View PostRoggg2, on Apr 04 2017 - 08:23, said:

I've never heard anything nice said about the t25/2 or the t28 prot, although I've been told the T30 makes it worthwhile.  

The T25/2 takes some getting used to.  The T28 Prot. is a beast if played well, especially since it got a speed buff.  The 25/2 isn't as fast or as fun as the Hellcat, but it's not terrible.  It's on the plus side of mediocre.  The Prot is one of my favorite tanks of all time.  I strongly prefer turreted TDs so if you can get hull down, protect your cheeks, and keep shooting, you can do monstrous damage.  The T-95 is also rather troll, with a speed buff and tremendous frontal armor, plus a very good gun.  If you like big, slow, and derpy, the T-95 is a brute.

The tier 10 Americans are all armor monsters when hull down.

Germans, I don't care for the turreted TDs above Tier 8.  The JPE-100 is the pinnacle of German TD badassery.  Huge gun, Troll like armor.  They have a forgiving nature and as long as you can keep your front to the enemy, it's an absolute Pillbox.

I don't have a Brit above Tier 6 (they never grabbed me), and USSR only up to Tier 7.

The Swedish line is very VERY different.  They have tons of speed and laser pointer accurate guns with fairly low alpha, but a fairly high rate of fire.  They also have insane camo ratings.  The price for this is 20-30mm of armor.  They pretty much get overmatched by anything over Tier 6.  And forget about Arty.  SPG rounds were made to eat Swede TDs.  They ARE a ton of fun once you get used to the siege mechanics, however even under the best of circumstances, they are extremely situational.  Large open maps like Sand River or Malinovka, Prokarovka, or Mirovanka are heaven for them.  Himmelsdorf and Kharkov are suicide.

BrassFire #12 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 15:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2842 battles
  • [1_DIV] 1_DIV

View Postdagger_blades, on Apr 04 2017 - 13:29, said:

the new swede TD tanks are the best snipers in the game and most of the whole line is good with the strv 103b having 2nd highest dpm in the game

They're also unholy trollbouncers.

pmdanie96 #13 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 15:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37730 battles

I absolutely love the British TD line but it they are a completely different play style than the other TD lines. 

For a newer player I suggest the German JPE line, American 110E4 line or either of the Soviet TD lines. Swedes are fun but you do have to get used to the Seige mechanic. 

Anakins_Betrayal #14 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 16:43

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19456 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

The easiest TD's to play are the American ones and the jägeroo. The 183 and 4005 are trash, same with Foch, same with 268. The grille is decent but requires a good amount of skill and can be really frustrating - if you're thinking about the grille, it's got good straight line speed, terrible maneuverability and a gun that can't snap for the life of it. After the nerf it's pretty underwhelming IMO. 263 can be really good especially against baddies, but it's not very flexible and the grind is pretty bad. 

The swede TD's are by far the best snipers in the game and probably the best overall Td's (when looking at the classic TD role). They have ridiculous firepower, are exceptionally accurate, have awesome pen, are very quick (forward and backwards), have some of the best camo, and have decent  armor (the tier 10 bounces all 120mm caliber guns and less). Oh yeah they also have great fun depression and power to weight ratios. The ONLY drawback is their relatively small hits oil and the fact that it takes a couple seconds to switch between siege and travel mode where mobility gets greatly reduced. Also when they get tracked their gun is fixed I the hull so you're effectively screwed. HOWEVER, the pros far outweigh the cons, and coming from an experienced player, believe me the swedes are the best.

Edited by Anakins_Betrayal, Apr 04 2017 - 16:44.

Hunk_Ra #15 Posted Apr 04 2017 - 16:51

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5464 battles
  • [CRTBL] CRTBL
I am a NOOB and a TOMATO. Each TD line has a different style of play. US TDs tend to be "fast" and accurate; however, the open-top TDs tend to be VERY vulnerable to artillery. The US turreted TDs are less vulnerable. German TDs tend to be accurate, with decent penetration. French TDs tend to have paper-thin armor, but the CA-35 with the 75mm gun can be a terror on the battlefield. Soviet TDs are perhaps the best armored and the better Soviet TD guns are bruisers; however, Soviet accuracy is somewhat lacking and it has been said that some Soviet guns "could not hit the side of a barn - from inside the barn!" If you wait until the gun is fully aimed, you may not hit the spot you aimed at, but you will very probably hit your target. UK TDs, starting at Tier 5, are ponderously SLOW, maybe 20 kph, going downhill. But beginning at Tier 5, the U.K. AT-2 has 203mm of frontal armor and 103mm of side and rear armor, and like a Timex watch, "It can take a licking and keep on ticking!" after all other Tier 5 TDs are smoking hulks. UK TD guns are under-powered, but they make up for it by being fast-firing, close to 30 rounds per minute for some  (and the carry a LOT of ammo).  The key to the U.K. TDs starting at Tier 5 is to keep moving, keep the front of the TD pointed at your target, and keep firing. The U.K. TD IS NOT an "ambush" TD. It is so slow that by the time you get to a decent hide, the battle is half over, if not completely over. The early Swedish TD is a good one; however, all Swedish TDs are woefully under-armored. The Swedish S-series of TDs are also under-armored, but are so extremely sloped and low-profile, you don't notice it. Swedish TD guns are accurate with goo penetration; however, there is a learning curve with the hydraulic suspension ("travel" vs "siege" modes).

dustbowl #16 Posted Apr 05 2017 - 01:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12007 battles
The Object 704 and JagdTiger lines are both a blast to play.  The others all have some major issues.  They're playable but not anywhere as fun as the original Soviet and German lines.

Zariaah #17 Posted Apr 05 2017 - 02:40

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44867 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ

for new player I always recommend going French. always.

the medium/light/heavy lines all share guns and engines and radios. makes for easy leveling.

the t6 heavy tank has the most diverse selection of guns of ANY tanks in the game. it is best for learning the game. and understanding peneteration, armour and speed.

the medium line should be free exp'd to the elc or the 12t so you can branch to the artillery from there or learn to use what is one of the best t5 light tanks in the game.

in clan wars the batchat 50b and arty are major staples to clan wars play. at 1 point before the nerf or the foch155 it was a staple as well.

there is no other country in the game that can boast that every line was worthy of clan wars play like the French.

alternate between the TD's and the heavies until you have all guns unlocked. then work the light line. I recommend free exp past the 1375 t7 light. (or whatever it will become) then you have the t8 amx1390 with guns unlocked from the t5/t6 heavy line.

PureTanker #18 Posted Apr 05 2017 - 02:46

Private

• -Players-
  • 471 battles
OK thanks guys I am going down the jagdpanzer e100 line

PureTanker #19 Posted Apr 05 2017 - 02:54

Private

• -Players-
  • 471 battles
Also I see that after marder II there's either a choice of marder 38t and then stug III B or hetzer and then straight to tier 5. Which one should I go for?

Zariaah #20 Posted Apr 05 2017 - 03:48

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44867 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ

View PostPureTanker, on Apr 04 2017 - 20:54, said:

Also I see that after marder II there's either a choice of marder 38t and then stug III B or hetzer and then straight to tier 5. Which one should I go for?

neither go French. as I detailed before.

here are further reasons.

you will need them for the end game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users