Making teams aware of their own arty's contribution during the game?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

moon111 #1 Posted Apr 09 2017 - 05:52

Captain

• Players
  • 27727 battles
  • [IXGD] IXGD

'NS'   ...every once in awhile, you'll have a player recognize a well placed arty round.   But for most part, players are not aware of of how much their own arty helps them.   It's support is invisible.  But the opposite is totally not true.  You feel enemy arty when it hits you.  Get a high caliber while dropping shells on the toughest armored tanks in the game?  Players are still complaining about the one hit the enemy arty managed all game.

What I suggest, for whatever changes are or are not made to arty in the game... is some ways that players are made aware of damage their arty has done.  Perhaps players in a certain range from the blast hear a bigger noise?  A comment by the commander?  Have the ground shake?  Bigger explosion?  Pulsating outline on a targeted enemy tank when arty has a clear shot with a round loaded?  Charred blast area?  I know they're coming out with the Press 'T' will put a special marker down.  And I think that's a great idea.  

Target area marking for friendly vehicles
Now arty can alert the team to where they will shoot, so their fellow tankers can ready themselves for an attack and get out of the blast radius. To display a special marker showing the area you are targeting, simply press the Requesting fire/Attacking key (“T” by default). Its radius will be the same as the shell blast arc.

But perhaps this can be expanded on.  None of us like an invisible punch to the face, but realizing that our own arty is always contributing the other way may change the perception.

155mm_Royalty #2 Posted Apr 09 2017 - 07:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29013 battles

Is there a:

Quota for artillery threads have been reached. Please wait 24hr before posting.

Joking aside, or was I?

I aways take the effort to say NS to friendly artillery.

When you're sos and requesting fire at a critical Junction and you see the "attacking.." from arty and shell right after, I appreciate that. 

When arty T a target Im brawling with before firing. I SAY TY.

Sadly in the same sentence just after praising friendly arty I would be using every cuss word known to man to describe enemy artillery.

cloudwalkr #3 Posted Apr 09 2017 - 08:10

Major

• Players
  • 52237 battles
  • [TYPE5] TYPE5

Yeah, honestly i will thank my arty if they pull a big save or do something pretty big time. 

Spoiler

DemitriVritra_US #4 Posted Apr 09 2017 - 08:25

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23936 battles
  • [MSFTR] MSFTR
In all honesty not sure if it will matter, as 9.18 is kind of arty's last stand in WG's eyes it's not that arty is bad or doesn't serve a purpose it's just they are tired of trying to fix something that no matter what they do won't make the idiots happy, and with the upcoming arty changes I can only think it will just make problems for arty players worse as everyone will hate them more.

what people and WG keep forgetting is when Arty is not in Play TD's and Super Heavies run Rampant, till a bunch of people run to the forums and cry for them to be nerfed then Mediums and lights run rampant, and the nerf wars begin again.

Arty serves a Purpose it prevents Nerf wars, gives something for the whiners to hate, and is barely playable save for a few exceptions. It's a Necessary Evil if they want their OP tanks to stay OP.

cloudwalkr #5 Posted Apr 09 2017 - 08:39

Major

• Players
  • 52237 battles
  • [TYPE5] TYPE5

View PostDemitriVritra_US, on Apr 09 2017 - 08:25, said:

what people and WG keep forgetting is when Arty is not in Play TD's and Super Heavies run Rampant, till a bunch of people run to the forums and cry for them to be nerfed then Mediums and lights run rampant, and the nerf wars begin again.

This will only happen if you're completely clueless and have no idea how to problem solve the simplest things. 

I do agree that 9.18 stun mechanics will make people rage at arty even more and most likely cause tk's more so than it does now.   If I'm being blunt, I'd be fine with that because it would force WG to actually remove it from the game, which would make the game so much better.   Super heavy tanks would be tough to deal with in certain situations, but I'd be happy to try a test server where there were no arty and give my feedback on that. 

Lets do it, WG.  Set up a test server with no arty and see how it goes for a month and see how many people come back to the game and watch the general attitude of the playerbase turn a little happier.

You're statement about it being barely playable did make me laugh pretty hard though.  That was cute.

daddeo2 #6 Posted Apr 09 2017 - 08:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 23737 battles

Wait, people will priase the damage nerf on arty, but will rage about being slowed for a few seconds??  Count me in!!!!!! Anything I can do to piss off the enemy arty haters, I will be all in, the more rage, the more I play arty.!

Edited by daddeo2, Apr 09 2017 - 08:45.

cloudwalkr #7 Posted Apr 09 2017 - 09:14

Major

• Players
  • 52237 battles
  • [TYPE5] TYPE5

View Postdaddeo2, on Apr 09 2017 - 08:45, said:

Wait, people will priase the damage nerf on arty, but will rage about being slowed for a few seconds??  Count me in!!!!!! Anything I can do to piss off the enemy arty haters, I will be all in, the more rage, the more I play arty.!

And you just reinforced the main complaint about arty; that it's played solely for a griefing mechanic to harass others.  Good job.

moon111 #8 Posted Apr 09 2017 - 22:01

Captain

• Players
  • 27727 battles
  • [IXGD] IXGD

I wonder how many SPG players XVM snipe?  With arty gone, will games become a dice roll to see who gets a good player on their team?  

If I see Bulba, Relic, -G-, Simp, etc... Especially if they're the only one shining on either XVM list, I as a 50% win-rate noob am going to try

and take them out.  Or more often then not, remove all their support which are usually guaranteed targets that can't play arty safe for the

life of them and then let my team out-number and pounce the superior opponent.  

Top players will beat everyone up like a schoolyard bully without a teacher standing over them with a yardstick.  (Wonder how many 

remember the days of getting hit with yardsticks, straps, stabbed with pencils, etc. from teachers and principles.)

ExplodedChicken #9 Posted Jun 08 2017 - 19:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9818 battles
  • [-CK-] -CK-

View Postmoon111, on Apr 09 2017 - 05:52, said:

'NS'   ...every once in awhile, you'll have a player recognize a well placed arty round.   But for most part, players are not aware of of how much their own arty helps them.   It's support is invisible.  But the opposite is totally not true.  You feel enemy arty when it hits you.  Get a high caliber while dropping shells on the toughest armored tanks in the game?  Players are still complaining about the one hit the enemy arty managed all game.

What I suggest, for whatever changes are or are not made to arty in the game... is some ways that players are made aware of damage their arty has done.  Perhaps players in a certain range from the blast hear a bigger noise?  A comment by the commander?  Have the ground shake?  Bigger explosion?  Pulsating outline on a targeted enemy tank when arty has a clear shot with a round loaded?  Charred blast area?  I know they're coming out with the Press 'T' will put a special marker down.  And I think that's a great idea.  

Now arty can alert the team to where they will shoot, so their fellow tankers can ready themselves for an attack and get out of the blast radius. To display a special marker showing the area you are targeting, simply press the Requesting fire/Attacking key (“T” by default). Its radius will be the same as the shell blast arc.

But perhaps this can be expanded on.  None of us like an invisible punch to the face, but realizing that our own arty is always contributing the other way may change the perception.

9.18 did make it easier to see artie contrubution during the battle.  Seeing stun counters above red tanks lets me know that my artie is having at least some effect on the battle.  Without that, I'd see artillery shells occasionally, but have no idea if they were kicking [edited]and chewing bubble gum, or just trying to clear out as many trees from the board as possible.

V_A_C_A #10 Posted Jun 12 2017 - 20:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 18231 battles
  • [BREJO] BREJO

View Postmoon111, on Apr 09 2017 - 01:52, said:

Well... Last friday night I was TKed because two tier X Light Tanks was angry that me (and other fellow arty player) wasn't shooting on the targets that they were spotting on "magic forest" (Murovanka map). Just to be noticed that were 6 Heavies on the enemy team (and normally HTs go the central area on that map), and both of us were long reload arties (waiting to lower the amount of enemy HP, helping the team effort).

The blacklisting option wasn't working (the bug of the chat and friend list, since the new updates on the game), and they started to bully us two. In less than a minute they came closer and started TKing both of us. On of them got banned after killed me, but the Bat Chat 25 was killed by the fellow arty (an M53/M55 just before the final Bat Chat's final shot on him).

But it's normal to receive TK, as I solely play artillery. The bully is a day-by-day issue. If they knew that I usually help a lot the team, would be really nice.
I don't even bother to send a replay to WG.

Edited by V_A_C_A, Jun 12 2017 - 21:18.

Thornir #11 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 16:42

Major

• Players
  • 26549 battles

View Postdaddeo2, on Apr 09 2017 - 08:45, said:

​^This. I started playing it again just to offset the haters. Arty has been a foundation class in this game since Alpha.  Since long before the newcomer haters started playing. They want the game perfect for THEMSELVES, and never have an answer to the question, "How would you ever fairly compensate those that have and play arty for the hours and in many cases real money invested if it were removed?" They don't care. They just want it right for themselves. F*ck that. THEY can leave the game. I'm staying, and bringing the arty, just about every game now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users