Sandbox Phase 3 - Frontline Test Info & Feedback
Posted Apr 14 2017 - 02:15
Posted Apr 14 2017 - 03:47
The Sandbox server is now live with Frontline! 30v30 battles with five-man-strong Platoons, all fighting in Tier X vehicles (medium/heavy tanks, TDs and arty) and Tier VIII light tanks. The latter is a temporary restriction caused by the technical nuances of testing. Eventually, the mode will switch to Tier X vehicles of all classes. And there’s no way on earth you could fit them all on a 1 km2 map. So, we’re introducing 9 km2 battlegrounds, divided into nine sectors, with one side playing in attack and the other in defense. Each stage unfolds on a certain territory. In attack, you are fighting for control over it. In defense, you’re tasked with preventing enemies from capturing it.
Please place your feedback in this thread!
It wont let me login to the Sandbox server can anyone help me?
Posted Apr 14 2017 - 03:51
Posted Apr 14 2017 - 12:17
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the game mode. Huge map, re-spawn. Challenging game, enough room for everyone, no where to hide really.
1) Make the mode open to tier8 as well.
2) Make our own tanks as well as rentals be available for Frontline.
3) don't auto equip special rations.
4) mode costs too much silver.
Edited by iDestroya, Apr 14 2017 - 12:18.
Posted Apr 14 2017 - 12:46
Posted Apr 14 2017 - 13:18
I think it would be fun to be able to fire the large guns.
- Once a player reaches Major or General they could use these guns.
- Players could randomly be assigned the guns.
Otherwise I like the mode.
This could also be a way of doing crossover between the two other games. Incorporate WOWS and WOWP.
I know another game has this but..... oh well.
Posted Apr 14 2017 - 17:31
Edited by jester350, Apr 14 2017 - 17:31.
Posted Apr 15 2017 - 17:37
Posted Apr 16 2017 - 14:52
First of all I think this is s great game mode. This will promote team play and organization to play well.
Can you play with a dual monitor setup? I would like to keep the map on one screen and the normal play field on the other. With maps this large and with so much going on you need to keep an eye on the changing battlefield.
Keep up the great work WG.
Posted Apr 16 2017 - 23:09
Edited by signolias, Apr 16 2017 - 23:11.
Posted Apr 17 2017 - 00:37
So far I have played about five games in sandbox. Would have been six if my computer didn't suffer from a massive rush of s**t to the brain meaning I had to ditch one fight because it wouldn't even load in. Anyway aside from the complications of joining a server so far away from North America I have had plenty of fun. Hell my first game made me want to buy the Leopard I back because I could finally use its speed and maneuverability without being spotted every five seconds thanks to the 3km x 3km maps. That and the repair points meant I wasn't doomed if such a thinly armored medium got hit a couple of times. Not to mention with the size of these maps, the Leo I is great for moving on to the next objective. Now my praise for this new mode being said I have some criticisms.
One is that from what I have seen, it does seem like the attackers have the upper hand in this game. Whether that's due to MM or the way the game mode is currently structured I can't tell but I have played as both sides and so far the attackers have won all.
Second is the repair/resupply areas. I think something should be done so that trying to repair isn't such a punishment for the defense. Perhaps maybe these points should be dynamic and re-orient themselves depending on who owns that area. If not that then maybe just put them where we won't be such easy targets since you already have them programmed to be inactive after someone has used them.
Third is obviously the economy for this game mode since it's tier 10 only right now. With the standard WoT currency tracker in place there is even worse chance of making money. I can occasionally make money as a tier 10 in the regular game but something needs to be done here to give us a chance to at least mitigate our losses. I would suggest a currency modifier based on rank achieved in game. That way the higher the rank you achieve in Frontline, the better your payout, unless this is already the case then maybe the modifiers just need to be re-worked to help us out more.
Other than these three criticisms I already can't wait to see this mode in the real game and hopefully will be open to lower tier sets as well so we can enjoy more of our collection in Frontline. Maybe this will help us recoup some of those losses in the tier 10 games. Finally I hope that Frontline doesn't go the way of historical battles and all the other game modes that have come and gone as this one has some real potential.
Edited by Panzer_Brony_126, Apr 17 2017 - 00:40.
Posted Apr 17 2017 - 17:16
Without having read the rest of the postings on this thread, I am going to give my unadulterated opinion of the "Frontline" Mode in World of Tanks.
First, Overall, like the game mode. That is not to say it is perfect or does not need some tweaking.
Second, the primary issue I have with the mode is that the attacker side seems to have a bit of an advantage in game play. It is far to easy to just drive off the beach and start capturing objectives.
Third, I really like the ability to repair in the field. Makes it far easier for players with fewer appropriate tier tanks to stay in the game.
Fourth, it is really simple to win once you have reached the final objectives as the attacker. You can fully ignore defenders and concentrate fire on the emplacements to destroy them in seconds.
Finally, a little more of a "tutorial" for first timers (in game, not sandbox) would be a good thing. That first impression will improve the opinions of those who have never played this new mode before and help lessen the learning curve for them. (not all newer players run to youtube to watch QB or whomever and learn about new modes or features).
Posted Apr 17 2017 - 21:18
Posted Apr 18 2017 - 10:38
Overall Impression :
LOVE the mode. Something for everyone to do. If some of the problems I see are fixed, I will probably only play this mode should it go live.
- You can play to your style. There's a place for nearly every class and play style. Corridors and objectives to hold, open fields to snipe, flanks to flex around. Only light tanks feel like they have little purpose in this mode.
- Adds a strategic level to the game that is missing from regular pubs.
- Respawn feels implemented nearly perfectly. It punishes throwing tanks away enough, while not punishing it so badly that you don't want to try something risky every now and again.
- Repair is implemented well. Again this encourages taking some risks while not making risk taking too easy.
- The size of the maps and the size of the teams means that teams feel better balanced overall. I have had very few matches that were completely dominated by one team. (It still happens, but less than regular pubs)
- Objectives and "unlocking" of the map in phases are done really well. It gives "hot spots" around which fighting takes place while being open enough that you can push a flank if one objective's advance stalls. Similarly, the defenders can force the attackers to deal with a stubborn flank, wasting precious time.
- The ranking system can become something really cool later on if ranks can be given more to do other than just being a mark of honour.
- If you die too often and then have to wait longer for a respawn, the free move overhead mode is REALLY cool. Maybe unlock this mode at-will for higher ranks? This gives a great overview of the battle while you wait to respawn.
The bad (some of these may only be as is set up in the sanbox):
- Currently Only Tier X. Would be nice if it would accommodate at least Tier VIII and up.
- Very expensive. You can only break even with non-prem account if you have an exceptional match. Losses can run to 100k credits (or more) in a bad match. This is probably the single biggest deal breaker of this mode for me and was in rampage too.
- Current balance feels a bit pitched in the favour of the attacking side.
- The time given to evacuate a block when it falls may be a bit short. Even with fast mediums you sometimes cannot make it out in time.
- I came under the impression that turrets can be damaged by Arty in the one match. If this is so, this is a problem in my mind. Turrets should only be damageable by direct penetrating fire in my mind.
- I want to use my own tanks in this mode. Not like Rampage where you get a set of tanks that are not used in the main game. Not sure what the plan is here for final implementation, though.
- Make ranks count for something more than prestige.
- Give a money bonus according to rank.
- Unlock the strategic view for top ranks
- Maybe control respawn points if you are top rank?
- Give defenders a bit more time to get out of a captured zone.
- Turrets should only take damage from penetrating shots (if not already so)
- Unlock the mode for lower tiers (at least to tier 8)
- Make the mode more profitable. PLEASE. This was a big deal breaker in Rampage mode.
- Replace the current regular assault mode with a stripped down version of this mode. Give a 2x2 map and two objectives.
Posted Apr 18 2017 - 11:59
Sorry haven't seen a bunker fall to arty fire and was under the impression that they were impenetrable to spg fire.
My only real issue with this mode so far is the economy. I just won't spend that much time with this if I can't break even on the expense. I've won every time on defense and lost money firing standard rounds. Really need to make this economically viable and at least marginally profitable to play to get it to catch.
Posted Apr 19 2017 - 23:29
It's fun having the big expanse of map to play on (slow tanks need not apply).
It does seem that the attackers have a decided advantage. A big part of this is the airstrike when a sector falls-- all the defenders have to expose their weakest armor to the enemy and run away. The results are predictable. It also benefits the attackers that they don't have to protect their rear areas-- the defenders are forced out for them.
Another problem I see is that people make bad choices about where to re-spawn. I'm not sure how you fix this, but it would be nice to find a way to guide them to better decisions.
The changing "Battle will end in __ minutes" messages are confusing. I think this needs to be explained better and implemented in the game in a way the is less confusing. Perhaps a time remaining gauge that updates as battle conditions change (with notes as to why?). Highlight it with an eye-catching color anytime is getting short. Perhaps flash an update color any time game events change the countdown.
I agree with others that the game economy in this mode is a problem. I certainly won't play it if it is a consistent money suck. I also would like to see it open to more than just tier 10 tanks. Bring it down to tier 5 or 6, give it 1 tier (or even 0 spread) match-making, and make it so decent play can be revenue positive and I think you'll have a winner.
It does seem to be "World of Auto-loaders" in its current incarnation. That's a subject that deserves some thought.
Edited by Ahrtoo, Apr 19 2017 - 23:30.
Posted Apr 20 2017 - 15:01
1. I really like the maps - the vertical space is very long overdue.
2. Please remove the hard cover INSIDE the objective/cap circles. PLEASE.
3. AFK and Team damage penalties must be more severe for this mode.
4. Respawn times are a bit too long. This mode feels odd for a 30v30, sometimes it's action and sometimes you're just staring at the map hoping random people make better choices
5. Change Respawn points based on Tank Class. i.e. Spawn Heavies closer to the action, Lights, Arty and TDs further back, and Mediums somewhere in between.
6. Mode is too expensive (credits) to play for the average player. Especially when battles can last half an hour!
I see a lot of potential in this; it feels like it should be an chaotic PVP mode like a Battlefield/Battlefront game, but there is a lot of downtime and the game mode needs more rewards.
I think there needs to be a balance between personal and overall impact on the battle. I like that every playstyle has a place in Frontline, but the current objective design makes it very easy for one or two players to completely ruin a team's chances.
Edited by phonon, Apr 20 2017 - 15:14.
Posted Apr 21 2017 - 12:08
Posted Apr 23 2017 - 14:45
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users