This is what happens when United Airlines needs your seat & you refuse

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

Wailwulf #21 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 07:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 24720 battles
  • [FXXIV] FXXIV

The thing is, United could have rented a car for their employees and let them drive to their destination in 5 -5 1/2 hours.

In the land of the free, one should not have lose their seat for no one, or dragged off or not leaving it, especially for having paid for it.

SacherMasoc #22 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 07:14

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8772 battles

HowitzerBlitzer #23 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 07:21

Major

• Players
  • 15428 battles

Pray to RNGesus before you board your flight next time, he was one of 4 lucky people.

Anyways, he was asked to leave, and at that point when he refused it became trespassing. The security/police forces can use force to remove trespassers as far as I know, so I see nothing wrong here. 

The $800 in airline credit that was offered is the only thing that I see unfair in this case. They are obligated to provide a payment equal to the flight ticket's cost, and then some extra for every hour up to a certain point (I'm a bit rusty here, don't remember exactly about the hours).

120mm_he #24 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 07:26

Major

• Players
  • 16104 battles
  • [PBS] PBS
United had a right to do everything they did up to and including calling the airport police to remove him. It's literally in the contract if anyone bothered to read it which this guy apparently did not. No one volunteered so they drew four names and those were the ones who had to go. So instead of taking his vouchers and leaving peacefully he made a scene and when it escalated to the police he made an even bigger scene by screaming like a petulant child then going limp and forcing the officers to drag him out of the plane which of course made the bleeding hearts all cry. Bullcrap. He got what he deserved and I hope he loses his case.

cloudwalkr #25 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 07:36

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56253 battles

The fact that some people are insinuating it's that poor guys fault or that he somehow "asked" for that to happen are truly sad individuals. 

Nobody should be treated that way when they are a paying customer that hasn't done anything wrong except refuse to give up his payed seat. He should have never been forced off for the reason shown in the video.  The airline should have done a better job at organization.  

The airline should have started an auction.  Start offering money at $1k and start moving up until a few people went for it.  I bet there would have been someone willing to jump at $1400.  I bet the airline spend a lot more money, now, in lost customers and the sure to be lawsuit against the security agency, the airport, and the airline.   I hope he gets paid big money. 

Now, if he was a doctor and really did have patients waiting for him, that should have been an immediate factor.  That's not a bluff i would want to call and have on my conscience. 

I'm also a little ashamed at the other passengers.  Surely there was someone there that could have switched with the guy.  I know that's asking a lot but if the guys claiming to be a doctor and needing to get to patients and the airline has already offered compensation + a little extra and it's looking like an older guy is about to get physically assaulted, I'm surprised nobody jumped in and said they'd switch. 

I've had family and friends in hospitals that had doctors come from out of town to look at them, so i may be a little biased when i hear the guys trying to fly in to see patients.  Take that for what it's worth.

Bottom line, in my opinion, I'm with the idea of f* that airline and will never use them again.  That whole situation could have, and should have, been handled better. 

120mm_he #26 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 07:48

Major

• Players
  • 16104 battles
  • [PBS] PBS

View Postcloudwalkr, on Apr 11 2017 - 01:36, said:

The fact that some people are insinuating it's that poor guys fault or that he somehow "asked" for that to happen are truly sad individuals. 

Nobody should be treated that way when they are a paying customer that hasn't done anything wrong except refuse to give up his payed seat. He should have never been forced off for the reason shown in the video.  The airline should have done a better job at organization.  

The only reason this made the news is because he acted like a petulant screaming child and got recorded. Regardless of the 'morality' of the situation when you buy a ticket for a united flight(and many others) you agree that the airline can summarily remove you from the plane and offer you a seat on another plane using vouchers which are nearly always to your benefit. No one volunteered so they picked four names. Three of them collected their vouchers and left with no issue and one refused to honor the contract he signed when he purchased his ticket. He is the sole person to blame here and if you disagree with united's policy then don't fly united.

bilzbobaggins #27 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 08:07

Captain

• Players
  • 48301 battles
  • [-SSS-] -SSS-
He prolly was on the east server.  He tried to get up, but he just sat there.  Couldnt move, then rubber banded his head.......

Kaa1el #28 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 08:12

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 64239 battles
United Airline = Wot Arty = Cancer

DESRON10 #29 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 08:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32046 battles

View PostKaa1el, on Apr 11 2017 - 02:12, said:

United Airline = Wot Arty = Cancer

Arty tears have hit a new low.

Helmz #30 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 08:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7377 battles
I guess United will be having a few less customers in the future.

WileyCat #31 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 10:27

Major

• Players
  • 31136 battles
  • [ALL] ALL

View PostLOL_i_CLICKED_u, on Apr 10 2017 - 22:41, said:

So apparently United Airlines overbooked & needed 4 seats for non-paying Airline employees. They offered some extra money incentive to leave but no one wanted to give up their seat. So United told the customers they would choose 4 random people & make them leave. One flier refused to leave(apparently he was a 60 something year old doctor & had patients he had to get to?), and this is how the police that were called by United Airlines treated him(a paying customer) - NOTE: the actual video starts at about 1:00 I believe. Take special note of the forceful head slam into the handrest next to him which causes him to bleed profusely from the mouth/nose & ear & knocks him out. Somehow he makes it back onto the plane apparently dazed & confused(who wouldn't be after that?) not knowing where he is or what to do & just wanting to get home. This could have been your loved one. There are many many videos of this circulating now, this is just 1 I picked:

Edit: Just realized this is in Gameplay forum. Could have sworn I was still in Off-Topic when I posted this. :amazed:

Content moderated by JayStark02

Edited by JayStark02, Apr 11 2017 - 22:40.

FrozenKemp #32 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 13:08

Major

• Players
  • 52940 battles

View PostWileyCat, on Apr 11 2017 - 04:27, said:

Content moderated by JayStark02

What is wrong with you? 

Edited by JayStark02, Apr 11 2017 - 22:40.

SickSix #33 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 13:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11594 battles
I do agree that once facing law enforcement officials he should have complied.

But oh boy is it going to be fun watching United try to survive this.

spud_tuber #34 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 15:09

Major

• Players
  • 58432 battles
This is a classic case of two, or perhaps 3, wrongs don't make a right.  

He was technically obligated to give up his seat if the airline demanded it.  He should have just done so.  

At the same time, overbooking should be illegal.  You might say this isn't technically overbooking since the extra passengers were employees, but the airline should have known that they needed to transport those employees as well as passengers, and should have accounted for the employees when selling tickets.

I've also seen sporting events, concerts, etc overbooked, and all it does is create problems and annoy those who paid for tickets.

As for the possible thrid wrong, namely the amount of force used to remove him, I won't comment as I've neither watched the video nor seen an unedited version of it.

The_Golden_Falcon #35 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 15:32

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14672 battles

View Postcloudwalkr, on Apr 11 2017 - 00:36, said:

The airline should have started an auction.  Start offering money at $1k and start moving up until a few people went for it.  I bet there would have been someone willing to jump at $1400.  I bet the airline spend a lot more money, now, in lost customers and the sure to be lawsuit against the security agency, the airport, and the airline.   I hope he gets paid big money. 

Now, if he was a doctor and really did have patients waiting for him, that should have been an immediate factor.  That's not a bluff i would want to call and have on my conscience. 

I'm also a little ashamed at the other passengers.  Surely there was someone there that could have switched with the guy.  I know that's asking a lot but if the guys claiming to be a doctor and needing to get to patients and the airline has already offered compensation + a little extra and it's looking like an older guy is about to get physically assaulted, I'm surprised nobody jumped in and said they'd switch. 

I've had family and friends in hospitals that had doctors come from out of town to look at them, so i may be a little biased when i hear the guys trying to fly in to see patients.  Take that for what it's worth.

Bottom line, in my opinion, I'm with the idea of f* that airline and will never use them again.  That whole situation could have, and should have, been handled better. 

Hope you know that priorities come first if you read their guidelines idiots. Oh and that "doctor" has drug abuse, and anger management issues, and more. United had every right for what they did, the passenger was in the wrong.

120mm_he #36 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 15:41

Major

• Players
  • 16104 battles
  • [PBS] PBS

View Postspud_tuber, on Apr 11 2017 - 09:09, said:

As for the possible thrid wrong, namely the amount of force used to remove him, I won't comment as I've neither watched the video nor seen an unedited version of it.

I've watched the unedited video and he acts like a petulant child the entire time. By the time the cops were called it had already escalated and they still took the time to try to talk him into leaving peacefully. So when they tried to get him out of his chair he went limp and started with the primal screaming and you can even hear the cops commenting "oh come on man.... seriously??". The guy obviously has some mental issues. No sane adult is going to scream and go limp and force law enforcement to literally drag them out by the arms. Hope he gets a nice room with padding.

UR_TANK_SPLODED #37 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 15:51

Captain

• Players
  • 7865 battles
Apparently, when you get a boarding pass, take your assigned seat, you are still not guaranteed to fly. And this is perfectly legal.  FAA regulations are at fault imo.  Still, I will never fly United after this.

Qualm #38 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 15:55

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 19184 battles
Hindsight is 20-20, and United now know that they will lose far, far more money over this than they would have if they had offered escalating bounties for volunteers.  Which every other airline will now instruct their staff to do in similar situations.

Matross #39 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 15:56

Captain

• Players
  • 32740 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

Bad judgment call on on United, for sure. Should have just waited until someone volunteered to take the next flight (assuming there was one). Someones going to get sued, big time.

On the flip side, supposedly the guy wasn't a doctor (had his license revoked), either way... we're people, not just "passengers". It's pretty bad right now for UNITED, they're getting roasted on Facebook. So much for "Friendlier Skies" aka. FIGHT CLUB.

Nunya_000 #40 Posted Apr 11 2017 - 16:20

Major

• Players
  • 21138 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW
After this video hit the internet, the Government has gotten involved and has been in contact with the airline.  The Government has now contracted with the airline to remove Assad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users