Spall Liner on the T29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

TELEFORCE #1 Posted Aug 14 2011 - 13:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10325 battles
I have one equipment slot left on the T29, and I'm trying to decide whether I should get vents or the spall liner.  Currently I have a vertical stabilizer and a rammer, with a 100% crew trained 70% on the repair skill.

Based on a video demonstration I saw on YouTube, I saw that the spall liner gives an average damage reduction of 10.8% (http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8jhAlZTXlWA).  I'm not quite sure if this would be worth it in a fully-upgraded T29, as there is plenty of armor and HP to neglect HE spam at the front turret armor.  At the same time, there is the threat of artillery.  In addition to lowering damage of HE explosions, will the spall liner reduce critical hits from them as well?

The vents look like they can be useful, but a 5% increase in all stats doesn't seem like a lot.  At the same time (according to the wiki), 100% crew w/o vents maintains 87% of their stats, while a 100% crew with vents maintains 92% of their stats.

So I'm not sure where to go here.  I tend to like to sit hull-down and snipe, then move to cover, and find a different position to snipe from.  On more open maps (like "Campinovka" and Steppes) I feel like I'm more artillery bait.

I_am_the_OwNz #2 Posted Aug 14 2011 - 14:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2447 battles
I find that the spall liner is most useful on any tank with a very difficult hull to pen, unlike the T29 in your case, most tanks can pen it and if possible wont fire at your hull, which is why when your in a hull down notice arty seems to rain doom on you?  your immobile and easy to hit.

tanks that are reknowned for bounces tend to run spall liners because players will HE them, like a maus for example.

so in short you should continue with your rammer and VS, and for third add the vent, or atleast that is what I would do.

Kyoji #3 Posted Aug 14 2011 - 18:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6488 battles
I like and run spall liner on my T29 and T32 and every other end game US tank. You shouldn't be in a position where you are getting regularly penetrated from the front. Most times you are hiding behind a rock sniping away against the other team behind their rock. In these situations they will HE your turret and try to take out your gun.

Also, the front of the T29 isn't anything to sneeze at and many low tier tanks will bounce everything on you if you angle properly.

mmike87 #4 Posted Aug 15 2011 - 03:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11027 battles
I went the route you're thinking about. Vert, Ram, and Spall. Does it help? Hard to say. But I have taken some serious punishment from arty at times and lived to tell about it.

ItsGonRain #5 Posted Aug 17 2011 - 02:32

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 28243 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
You will however face a lot of noobs that don't know the hull weakness and simply spam HE shells. This isn't just for low tier noobs though. I've had a VK3601 with the short 88 spam HE shells at the front of my turret of all places. Plus when you are at the top you will be a prime target for arty. Spall liner is very useful for this tank.

Gyarados #6 Posted Aug 17 2011 - 03:58

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 12818 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Run rammer, vent, and I would personally say either vertical stabilizer or gun laying drive. Essentially, just make your damage output as high as possible, because your attack is your strong point, not your defense.

ledhed14 #7 Posted Aug 19 2011 - 14:24

Major

• Players
  • 12165 battles
  • [GH0ST] GH0ST
Spall liner saved every tank I have it on from arty except at higher tiers where they rain shells from hell,  and get more accurate or experience or both so that you need move or die,  I got into a priest just to find spots I can safely duck into on maps as not every hull down position is remotely safe from death from above especially when insanity prevails and one side gets four arty to pound you to goo with.

Mow_Mow #8 Posted Aug 19 2011 - 18:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 11515 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
I run NO spall liner on most of my tanks. The extra weight isn't worth it and the T29 has a large number of weak spots that can be taken advantage of by good players. Your roof armor is weak so it will not help against direct artillery strikes, and splash damage is calculated by your hull armor which is weak as well.

potsak #9 Posted Aug 19 2011 - 18:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 12616 battles
  • [ATOM] ATOM
You definitely want the Rammer and Vent. They allow for the fastest firing, not to mention vent helps everything 6%.  Vertical stabilizer versus spall liner is a personal choice.  If you enjoy peek-a-boom then vertical stabilizer to reduce aim time.  If you prefer hull down scenarios then spall liner.  

I go with spall liner for the American heavies.  Peek-a-boom exposes the hull, good way to die.  Not every scenario allows for hull down.  But when in one, spall liner gets you extra time for more shots.    

Another point would be, how often are you hit by arty?   If this is where you are taking most of your punishment, then spall liner all the way.  Though the best way to reduce arty hits is to play arty.  You'll find out what manuvers a tank can do that absolutely enrage an arty player.  Moving isn't the key.  It's moving unpredicatbly that causes more misses.  Stopping and starting will cause more misses than not stopping at all.

TheRonmasteh #10 Posted Aug 20 2011 - 01:39

Major

• Players
  • 32424 battles
  • [CAZA] CAZA

View PostGyarados, on Aug 17 2011 - 03:58, said:

because your attack is your strong point, not your defense.

Pretty much this.

US Heavies are just a mobile gun with a thin lol paperarmour. Your hull will be penned anyways. So its not really needed a Spall Liner on them.

As the T29 is practically a "just gun" tank, fill it entirely with offensive equipment. IDK: Vents, GLD and VS?

Arzoo #11 Posted Aug 20 2011 - 02:34

Captain

• Players
  • 6061 battles
What? The T29 has amazing armor for tier 7. Spall liner is a great idea, since you'll be facing people who resort to HE spam quite often, and arty is one of your main threats when you're at the top of the list.