Perceiving very near changes to SPGs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Dirizon #1 Posted Apr 18 2017 - 04:45

Major

• Players
  • 27926 battles

I'm not going to have this thread go on about whether SPGs are getting buffs or nerfs. Because that is really up to the player and how he/she plays. But l really want to shed some light on how artillery currently acts and how it will very soon act.

1)  As of now, and soon to be formerly, artillery is a damage dealing class. lt is actually labeled as such by in-game WoT tips and pointers, pre-game. Essentially, the easiest way to describe SPGs are a concealed man far away with a high powered rifle. N0T a sniper rifle, just a high powered rifle, it has the potential to hit and massacre targets, but at 1km with just a gun sight won't do it often. And instead of firing a streamlined armour piercing projectile, it fires an HE beanbag that is hit or miss, dealing O damage or  over 2K damage. The slots, right?

2)  So, the direction of artillery coming 9.18 soon, is vastly different. Rather than being this clubber of a guy with a single shot of doom rifle that can hit anywhere randomly, and do even more random effects with the hit, SPGs are turning into a secondary support class. Think of SPGs as an indirect fire team, made to assist frontline units in tackling enemies. Which is a very reasonable, logical, historic, and realistic way of doing things for artillery, its what these sort of weapons do. In game, actually changes will resemble light tank class quite a bit in support role. SPGs will be able to finally rackup EXP per game, rather than humpbacking off its team, due to the sheer potential in assistance damage they will soon be capable of. With the very large burst effect radius, these SPGs will be able to more reliably damage nil armour tracks and immobilize enemies. Even a Maus, still has exterior tracks which offer what, 4Omm? This will also leave these outer modules vulnerable to HE, even if the tank itself is protected well. This racks up EXP if your team takes advantage of a tracked enemy. With caused stun effects, you will rack up EXP too. Even a spall for 1OO~ HP damage, by large caliber, can cause crucial stuns. All of this, rather than just being a damage dealer having your EXP siphoned away by allies spotting your targets. Some people dig this, and that is fine. 

Now, without a doubt, this is an overall buff to artillery. Without a doubt, especially considering lower aim-time and higher accuracy allows for more team oriented contribution, reliability, and support. The average player will generate a T0NNE more EXP per game, the average player will still rely on the team yes but not nearly as much as in 9.18, as the vehicle itself can cause leaps and  bounds of assist damage of its own. Rather than just humpbacking the team for damage dealt on those spotted. 

But things aren't all peachy. Remember 1) ? There are players that play and like their artillery for damage. And this is the sad part everyone has to contend with and it is coming, let me tell you. l'm not talking about one-shots, the lethality of artillery in general is taking a massive hit. A Type 5 hits harder than a T92,  a KV2 hits harder thank 0bj 261. A SU1OO using 12.2cm HE ammo does the same damage M44 does. And faster, more accurately.....And though yes l'm seeing plenty of test server results with higher EXP gains, higher earnings, happy campers and all thrilled about their new arty.....but l see lower damage done. l see frighteningly LAUGHABLE damage done. A huge nerf,  and a HUGE buff for Superheavy tanks. Which have been a very odd move for WG WoT, as concentrated and lethal SPG fire has been an age-long counter for large heavies. This is very important too, because superheavy tanks were recently extraordinarily buffed in 9.17.1.  l see light tanks getting hit for 1OO-2OO damage with direct hits. l see Maus tanks bouncing HE shells from  SPGs  such as Bat-Chat and 0bj 261. That splash is great, yes for targeting track links and immobilizing foes - but with the HUGE damage slash, with the games awful and unpredictable HE mechanics, HE power drop off will just be terrible, especially with many superheavy tanks receiving side armour/underneath hull armour buffs to lessen splash damage.  So you see an E1OO hiding behind short rocks or corners, and want to 'dig' him out and splash him by using blast? Well, yes you can certainly immobilize him, and make it an easy target for flanker teammates, but expect like 5O damage. Increased radius doesn't cover like 5O% damage slash.....If you are an avid SPG grinder, be prepared to start hearing a lot more of,  :"  That one didn't go through, or We didn't penetrate their armour,  or We just Dinged them. ":  Because with the new ammunition, thats what you'll get with the damage cuts. which may lead people to shift their aim to lighter enemies they can more reliably damage, and avoiding heavy tanks which are their crucial targets now..... For people that like doing damage in artillery, well your arty is being nerfed not buffed. 

So where do you sit, what kind of an Arty player are you?  Are you a 1) or 2)? You like these buffs coming, or do you fear these nerfs coming?

sixgun #2 Posted Apr 18 2017 - 05:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 58385 battles
  • [FC-SV] FC-SV
I see it as a nerf, the hvy tanks will be able to sit stationary and blast away all the smaller tanks without fear. Teams that get few or no hvy tanks will be doomed to lose as match maker currently makes up teams. Arty will become useless and unplayable and players will quit buying them.

scHnuuudle_bop #3 Posted Apr 18 2017 - 08:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 21699 battles

Naw, this is a huge improvement.

It adds to the game, greatly reduces the lone killer aspect. The reduction in damage is significant, but does not mean arty throws pillows either. 

It will ensure that those who wish to gain points while driving one, will have to play team style. Yes arty can still do its own thing, but it will sacrifice the best change made, an increase in splash and the stun.

I regularly bounced a clip off the buffed Maus, but each hit stunned the crew, and there was some critical damage each shot. A couple of thousand assist points when the monster was dealt with.

My assist points were 4 times what I am used to in the live server. 

Arty drivers are just going to have to start thinking like a Bishop or Bert driver, Fast accurate HE, damaging enemies so they are easier prey for the team. WIth the Bert now, I have no problem with multiple hits on a big heavy at 50HP per shot, my goal is to keep him in place, red faced and beating up his keyboard as my allies feed on him. So making the rest of my arty conduct business in the same fashion is great. I like the team play idea.

I just hope they didn't cut the power of my Bishop too much, they actually said the tier 5-6 and 7 Brit arty would be left alone as they already had lower damage. But I see in the notes pen has been cut by almost 1/2.

I don't think the stun is available for the smaller howitzers, but hopefully with more accuracy, faster load and the new aiming system, it will more effective rather than less

zed2204 #4 Posted Apr 18 2017 - 08:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 44271 battles
  • [LIO] LIO
Bishop and Bert are pretty much the same loosing pen as everything and view range but otherwise no difference

Dirizon #5 Posted Apr 18 2017 - 18:46

Major

• Players
  • 27926 battles

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Apr 18 2017 - 08:07, said:

but does not mean arty throws pillows either. 

I have no problem with multiple hits on a big heavy at 50HP per shot

But they will throw pillows.  Bouncing the relative low damage HE means a pillow. Striking any tank with over 8Omm~  armour for 2OO damage, is a pillow. You are doing less damage than a light tank penetration,  and fire 1/4 the R0F. Without the accuracy.

Except,  FV3O4 spends -25O- silver per shot,  on a 6OO~m range pinpoint even circled shot, as the inaccurate arty modifier does not really effect stuff like FV or SU5 because it does not bloom over a distance of 1Km+ like other arty.... And it fires faster.  lt can AFF0RD to do 5O~ damage on a T29 or T15O. 

A 0bj 261 and Bat Chat pay 5.2K,  7.2K silver respectively. Per shot. They fire inaccurately over longer bloom distance. They cannot AFF0RD to do O damage on hit against a E1OO or Maus. They cannot afford it at all,  and neither can the team.

What is going to happen,  is artillery will only attack things they can effect. Racing for Mines hill, rather than shooting the plodding heavies seeking to contest hill,  arty will wildly shoot the 4Okm/hr+ med tanks racing up hill. Rather than the T95 in prokhorovka forest road,  they will shoot at secondary units behind it. ln T X games,  SPGs will shoot T Vllls.  And this is bad for game health,  as arty will no longer focus the things teams NEEDS focus on. Because they know they'd be wasting their time.  But....if you are one of those players,  that thinks immobilizing enemies and causing stun is all you need to do,  and 5O~ damage per hit is alright, so long as you gain assistance dmg/EXP - whatever suits you.

otacon237 #6 Posted Apr 18 2017 - 19:44

Major

• Players
  • 25222 battles
Problem is, people like superheavies, especially the Russians, no one gets into the game so they can play conc GC. If that means this has to be world of superheavies and not world of hide behind a rock, I'm fine with that

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users