Matchmaker Changes

0.9.18 Feedback

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

EtherealDragon #61 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 00:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 25140 battles
I would honestly like the old MM back. It might not have been perfect but at least I was able to play tier 8's with 9's and 9's with 10's, and so on. Also I liked to play my arty in platoons. I don't see why you couldn't have just done what World of Warships did. They made it so only one aircraft carrier was allowed in a squad, so make it so only one arty is allowed per platoon. That would have been a lot better then making it so you can only play arty alone. The fact you limited these things makes it so me and my friends don't play in a platoon nearly as much anymore. We used to roll in a platoon for hours now maybe we platoon occasionally and it is far less then enjoyable since we are all forced to play the same tier. My friends liked rolling their tier 8 premiums to earn cash while I ran all my tier 9's I'm working on, which we can no longer do. I really hope you take the time to look on this matter and see you're actually hurting some of your players that loved to platoon with friends and enjoyed running different tiers at times by forcing this terribly limited platooning system on us, please bring the old system back or make changes to improve upon the new one so all of your players can fully enjoy playing in platoons again.

Tahllol #62 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 00:25

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10826 battles

Edited by Tahllol, Apr 20 2017 - 05:27.

krapio #63 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 01:05

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9115 battles
I RARELY get top teir

Logos #64 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 01:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 62818 battles
  • [CAVY] CAVY

MM is good? My answer:

Posted Image

Of course we lost, no one can win with that HP gap in that kind of map.

Edited by Logos, Apr 20 2017 - 01:17.

__Badfinger__ #65 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 02:53

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 29488 battles

Still getting regular 0-15, 2-15 matches. With the dynamics this game uses, I see no real patch to the MM issue other then by players skill level. Your pen engine is extremely biased based on skill level, or at least it sure feels like it.

thandiflight #66 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 03:13

Major

• Players
  • 82041 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
Play Tier X arty and find out that MM is beyond f*cked up. Exactly what has been predicted has occured - sides are not balanced. 2 Tier X arty and a Tier X light against 3 Tier X Heavies. GG Wartgaming. Might I suggest a patch to fix things? Patch 0.9.17.1 maybe?

Inquisitive_Spaniard #67 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 03:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 35422 battles
  • [SPED] SPED
It's all fun and games until the blue and purple toons start rolling with 3 man Maus platoons.  Hi ho. Hi ho back to garage i go......

1lt_wert #68 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 04:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28692 battles
  • [KGR] KGR
OK I played 48 battles, I was top tier 2 times, mid tier 15 times (this includes tanks with preferential MM so is inflated) and bottom tier 31 times. Also games with overwhelming heavy advantage are quite common.

Tahllol #69 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 05:26

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10826 battles
  • How is matchmaking compared to before the patch? Still complete and utter junk, and won't be worth a damn until it gets balanced for tank type/amount and player skill level.
  • How well do you feel the matches are balanced in general? Lights are even more OP as the Pen needs adjusted down by 50% so they are required to actually scout. Arty is fine.
  • Have you seen any technical issues with the new matchmaker? Not actually balancing the teams. I.E. multiple times today 1 team 4 heavies, other team 0 heavies but tons and tons of lights. The team with the lights slaughtered everything.
  • How have queue times been impacted? Haven't noticed any difference.

BrightlyWrought #70 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 07:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 29091 battles
  • [DBLTG] DBLTG
I thought this MM was supposed to "age" you if you kept getting stuck in bottom tiers.  I am quite literally bottom tier in non scouts 90% of the time since the patch.

Limaoscarcharlibravo #71 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 08:37

Private

• Players
  • 21001 battles
  • [-DON-] -DON-

This is the real match making :facepalm:

leechtime #72 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 09:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 13782 battles
  • [7-7-7] 7-7-7

How is matchmaking compared to before the patch?

The tiers are more evenly distributed. But light tanks can, and often are top of the tiers because they are popular now. There are also between 6-12 light tanks per game when I last played which is ridiculous. 

How well do you feel the matches are balanced in general?

The matches I experienced were not balanced. It was not uncommon for one team to lose all tanks and the other team to lose zero. This happened to me on both sides of the equation. From 2-3 hours of play since the patch, I was involved in 3 games that were remotely "close" games.

Have you seen any technical issues with the new matchmaker?

None

How have queue times been impacted?

Slight improvement overall, but one instance where trying to platoon in Tier 10 heavy tanks had a wait time of over 3 minutes and we had to give up. This was when there were over 3k players online too, so not a quiet period.

SgtRock52 #73 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 09:51

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 20406 battles
  • [BTB] BTB
You MM fix did NOT resolve the issue most were complaining about...too many heavies on one side...so WG you fail as usual.

BrightlyWrought #74 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 11:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 29091 battles
  • [DBLTG] DBLTG

I'd like to see it maybe down to 2 arties and let arty platoon with outer types.

If there are ever too many arties waiting, pool them in an all arty match.  You can really be flexible in the matchmaking, with up to a +4 tier difference.  

john_snow_2016 #75 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 13:06

Private

• -Players-
  • 5610 battles
new MM still allows to 2-3 OP tanks like e25, t67, bc25, t50\51, Kranvagn to platoon. it is very toxic bug and should be fixed ASAP.

delabusch #76 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 13:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 22916 battles
  • How is matchmaking compared to before the patch?
  • A: Much, much better

• How well do you feel the matches are balanced in general?
  • A: Tier wise, great.  All three tier templates are excellent.
  • A: Class wise not always so good: sometimes some odd matchups eg. all top arty one side vs all top heavy on the other.  Why not just swap around the top slots after teams are chosen before starting the match to make this slightly better?  Odd matchup at the top tier has a more sever effect than lower down.

• Have you seen any technical issues with the new matchmaker?
  • A: Not really.  Some small (5v5, 13v13) matches - but not really a bug, probably MM giving up that moment

• How have queue times been impacted?
  • A: Not really noticeable for me.

xxBigbacon #77 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 14:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 8514 battles
  • [GNZX1] GNZX1

Here is what I think needs to be updated with the new one. I was excited about the template system but I knew it wouldn't be 'fun'

1. Make the base template 3/9/3 or 4/7/4. Make us be mid tier more often than top or bottom. Being bottom almost all the time isn't fun. Being fodder isn't fun. Least if there is only 3 low tier tanks then you kind of suffer a tiny bit. 

2. Limit lights to 3.

3. Limit SPGs to 2.

4. Balance out TDs, mediums, and heavies the best you can. Get rid of the imbalance of one team having 8 heavies and the other having 2. 

Some tiers seem to place you low almost all the time. Tier 5 and 6 come to mind. I had 12 or 13 low tier rounds in a row in tier 6. It sucks. it really sucks. Again if I was 12 or 13 rounds as mid tier I would have been much happier.

Changes to how SPGs play really makes it so less on the battlefield are needed. 3 is definitely one too many. 2 could at least cover the battlefield and not as easily just permastun tanks. I like the SPG changes

Torn on platoon changes as well. 3 man platoons as top tier can wreak teams quickly depending. Either a balance issue or something  Idon't know how you solve. don't allow 3 of the same tank or tank class maybe? 3 man platoons can take up all the spots sometimes.

I think the template system can work well but changes are needed.

Edited by xxBigbacon, Apr 20 2017 - 14:23.

Widowmaker789 #78 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 16:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 15096 battles

How is matchmaking compared to before the patch?

While it seems like it would be better, it really isn't. The type and skill of the top tier tanks really shows and can cause the game to spiral downward. I have seen 3 Top tier heavies- O-HO's versus a top tier light, arty and TD and they just mopped the floor with us. I have also been bottom tier alot (T6-8). Tier 3 & 4 tanks will will never be top tier and those are the tiers most played by WOT.  The biggest thing has been seeing Light tanks DOMINATE at their tier and below. T64's are just whooping on low tiers and doing very well against even T8's. In a game where armor can be countered with Gold ammo, light tanks with great view range, speed and loaded with gold can dominate Meds and Heavies- especially at lower tiers. Last night a Chaffee loaded with gold took out 6 enemy tanks- 4 of them heavies on the Hill in Himmelssdorf just by juking and moving around so quickly that the turret speed of the Churchill, etc.. could not keep up. Crazy when a Chaffee is taking out heavies- face to face.....

Surprisingly, I feel like games were actually closer on the old system over the past few months. This week, it has been blow out after blow out- either as the winning side or the losing one.

Have you seen any technical issues with the new matchmaker?

Nope

Not really. Depends on the tier. Lower tiers seem to wait a bit longer. Higher ones, no problem.

Bavor #79 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 16:30

Major

• Players
  • 32641 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

How is matchmaking compared to before the patch?

You still get battles with imbalanced numbers of types tanks.  I had one battle where the enemy team had tier 10 heavy tanks and my team didn't.  The enemy team also had a tier 9 heavy tank.  We only had a pair of tier 8 heavy tanks.  Our tier 8 heavies weren't that effective against the recently buffed Maus and their other higher tier heavy tanks.  In addition to that, we had mostly light and medium tanks which weren't a match for the enemy team's tier 9 and 10 heavy tanks on a corridor map where its difficult for them to flank the enemy heavies.

Both before and after the changes the matches aren't balanced.  You still get teams that have significantly more of one type of tank.  Also, getting a top tier platoon of 44% win rate players firing only HE out of their E100's while they camp near cap and having them be your only tier 10 tanks really hurts your team even more than it did before the changes.

Have you seen any technical issues with the new matchmaker?

In the video about upcoming changes, it was stated that if you are bottom tier twice in a row you would be more likely to be top tier next battle.  Was that feature removed or does it not work on the NA server because of the low player population?

For example, today I played 10 tier 8 battles and one tier 5 battle.  My tier 5 battle was tier 6 and in my tier 8 tanks I've only had one tier 8 battle.  I've had several tier 10 battles in a row and that wasn't followed by a tier 8 battle.  Instead I got a tier 9 battle, then another tier 10 battle after several tier 10 battles in tier 8 tanks.

I haven't noticed a significant increase in time waiting for battle.

JohnnyO7 #80 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 17:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 12835 battles
  • [11BAT] 11BAT

How is matchmaking compared to before the patch?
It looks to me that WG is a victim of its own changes. The well-known MM flaws were based on tanks as designed pre-9.18 patch. Now that there are more lights and artys per battle and that those tanks now play totally differently, it has introduced new MM flaws that need fixing ASAP. These changes should have been rolled out one at a time with consideration for tweaking in between patches.

I'd say no change from 9.17. Most of the battles I fought so far ended very one-sided in the other team's favor unfortunately. Many battles "on paper" look better balanced but as the battle unfolds, it becomes clear WG hasn't fixed anything. As a matter of fact, I seem to be slotted in the bottom tier MOST of the time, even my Premuim tanks. My RamII which used to be my cash cow is now a total flop as I keep losing battles in it and even losing coins! Since I play mostly Meds and TDs, I have noticed the very same trend in all my tanks. My win rate has drastically dropped, my revenue has drastically dropped and my interest in the game has drastically dropped.

Have you seen any technical issues with the new matchmaker?
No

Longer but tolerable

Also tagged with 0.9.18 Feedback

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users