#skill #randomness #splash

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Flamingbob25 #1 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 06:14

Private

• -Players-
  • 17465 battles
  • [_TNT-] _TNT-
I know a lot of people have said they are looking forward to the new artillery mechanics because they will make the arty gameplay more 'interesting' and maybe for players that don't normally play arty that is true. However as someone that did like to play arty before the change, so far I've found that with the changes my games feel more random, and like I don't really need to aim. I know people didn't like being one shot or missing all the time, but now it just feels like there is not really any skill in aiming, beyond that even hitting doesn't tend to do that much more damage than missing slightly so I don't feel all that much incentive to aim that carefully. Maybe I am unique in these feeling but it's definitely lost something for me. 

Also, ps, if you're going to going to add something about how people who play arty shouldn't like the game or whatever just save it? I don't care?

Brende #2 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 06:20

Private

• Players
  • 9732 battles
  • [-REM-] -REM-

I like the new stun mechanic, but yeah, I get what you are saying.

It feels easier, less actual skill involved, and I miss seeing those big numbers scrolling on my screen.

I think its a good change overall, and that it will attract new players to the type, and maybe bring some of the older ones back.

Sanka_Rea #3 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 06:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10635 battles
  • [AN1ME] AN1ME

i felt arty is more accurate now, and reloads alot faster. But the damage is alot lower... i hit a Dicker Max flush with S-51 (203mm gun), only 490 damage... can you believe that...

Also, i think the stun needs to be nerfed, its just wayyyy too long... it seriously hurt the heavies alot... or maybe heavies have shorter stun effect since their armor is thicker. 8 sec is already long enough, 15 ~ 30 sec stun is just wayyy to long.

Edited by Sanka_Rea, Apr 20 2017 - 06:25.

RamaLamaDingDong2 #4 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 06:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 23282 battles

The arty haters got the reduction in damage so they cant whine about the one shot BS anymore. They now have turned to whining about the 1000 cut shots, stun and splash. Arty is much more fun now that it was balanced. The stun was an over kill but its seems toned down since Sand Box and the renewable consumables makes it more of an annoyance unless you roll out in the open side out. Then you deserve to get owned anyways. I like it a lot more now than testing it. Arty now can support as intended and the whiners will never stop complaining unless its removed which would make the game a hell of lot less fun.

What WG has done to scouts has changed the game a hell of lot more than arty change. Scouts don't even bother to spot now..get nothing it seems for it now..they lose, or seems dont get, spotting for the stun damage. Gimped and buffed to make them like little mediums and they are being played like that. Its really disturbing the balance of matches and making poor deployments even more difficult to overcome.

Basically with the improved accuracy/splash/stun aiming isn't an issue now...but with the loss of scouts basically taking the eyes away from arty its a trade off.

VooDooKobra #5 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 06:37

Major

• Players
  • 8114 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE
I actually disagree that it takes less skill, what I like is each shot isn't like pulling a slot machine arm and hoping to get one of the few rounds you can shoot in that match near the target.  I am actually enjoying arty more now than I did pre patch

Tedster_ #6 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 06:43

Major

• Players
  • 40517 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
I feel if anything, there's even more skill in aiming now to maximize your damage on heavy tanks, and less RNG since it's more accurate.

Flamingbob25 #7 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 07:24

Private

• -Players-
  • 17465 battles
  • [_TNT-] _TNT-
I can see the feeling that it takes more skill if you think about it as maximizing your personal damage, but I feel like if you aim for stunning tanks, it's pretty easy to hit and still affect them. Don't get me wrong, I like being faster and shooting more accurately but it feels like instead of being a big dangerous force that if used right could really be effective and change the tide of battle (of course not nearly to the extent of a super skilled medium or heavy) to sort of more of an annoyance. Then again it may just be I need more time to get used to the new tactics.

UndeadSorrow #8 Posted Apr 20 2017 - 09:26

Private

• -Players-
  • 10094 battles
I think the burst radius, stun duration, and stun effects should be reduced by 10-15%. Some games with arty make it so all three arty focus the top tier players and that gets really annoying being constantly stunned. But the nice thing is the new mechanics make people less likely to camp. Also why the hell is there a difference in premium consumable cooldown that is the most annoying thing. 

5tgb #9 Posted Apr 26 2017 - 22:36

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28014 battles

The new mechanics have changed the way to play arty successfully (ie. earning credits and winning matches).

Where once it was always about direct damage through one-shots and engine deck penetrations, it is now about module damage and secondary damage (either via tracks or stun), especially with the broader splash range.

I am finding that I am as likely to aim for the splash effects as for the direct hits, especially with faster reloading arties (such as the French top tiers and the Obj 261 - a poor tactic for these arties prior to 9.18).

The economics of playing higher tier arties now depends more upon the secondary damage than it does on direct damage.  This has meant that the slower-firing, high alpha one-shot destroyers of old are far less effective, and far more impacted.

I am sure that WG will still tinker with the mechanics and economics in upcoming patches until they feel they have the correct balance (whatever that is...), but the stun mechanics and other changes are a welcome improvement for most.

GRINCH7777 #10 Posted Apr 27 2017 - 05:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 44477 battles
  • [SHUSH] SHUSH
I play a lot of arty and am good at it...the update sucks.

capted77 #11 Posted Apr 27 2017 - 10:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 34404 battles
  • [A-O-D] A-O-D
Arty are trashed

SgtBobCanuck #12 Posted May 01 2017 - 02:38

Corporal

• Players
  • 20752 battles
  • [1STBB] 1STBB

As a long-time SPG player, I can live with most of the changes that 9.18 brought to the game. Not a fan of the stun effect, and miss the higher hit damage that made arty useful in games.

What I DO NOT LIKE is the lack of platooning with arty!

This sucks!

I miss being able to play with fellow clan members, in whatever platoon configuration we used.

I have resolved not to renew my premium account and not spend ANY REAL MONEY on this game until the platooning function is restored!

Biggensak #13 Posted May 01 2017 - 18:18

Private

• Players
  • 3867 battles

I don't get the platoon thing, otherwise I like the trade in aim+reload time & accuracy for a reduction in damage and loss of AP/prem ammo... previous arty mechanics were way too RNG / sit-n-wait before the patch.  It feels a lot more dynamic and interesting to play, though I wish they would roll out a few more mobile/short range SPG's that support a more active battlefield role like the FV304 at higher tiers.

___SirKillsALot___ #14 Posted May 02 2017 - 18:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11733 battles
  • [LVTHN] LVTHN
I think it's still fun but I'm finding myself mostly focusing on lights, mediums, and td's since you get more damage on them and more exp from your direct damage.  It's frustrating barely scratching a heavy and wasting your shot while your allies don't know how to focus a stunned tank.  For instance my last T92 game I did 4.6k damage with 2 kills, I find that more fun than 1k damage and hit-or-miss stun damage from allies.  Sure I'll focus heavies when I see the need for it but if I see a noob camping with low armor, you bet your [edited]I'm going to take out most of his HP first.

GRINCH7777 #15 Posted May 02 2017 - 19:30

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 44477 battles
  • [SHUSH] SHUSH

View PostBiggensak, on May 01 2017 - 11:18, said:

I don't get the platoon thing, otherwise I like the trade in aim+reload time & accuracy for a reduction in damage and loss of AP/prem ammo... previous arty mechanics were way too RNG / sit-n-wait before the patch.  It feels a lot more dynamic and interesting to play, though I wish they would roll out a few more mobile/short range SPG's that support a more active battlefield role like the FV304 at higher tiers.

......your highest arty is a tier 7 with 35 games....how the eff could you possible know what its like to play the high tiers and have top damage go from 1850 to 1000 or average damage hits go from 450+ to less than 300 with many hits lower than 100?......and with the severe reductions you dont get a chance to make a decisive game-winning kill or even defend yourself in TD mode when some tier 8+ comes looking for you because you cannot dish out the big hit to make them even give a poop about running right at you?

........35 games in a tier 7.....lol...you don't know sh&&.

FatherJohn_ #16 Posted May 03 2017 - 00:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 23690 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Arty is completely F'ed....

When a M44 cant kill a scout at point blank range

Remove us from the game refund us our money and let use move on, to a new game.

Thanks for screwing the game up so bad that World of Warcraft is looking fun again....

Poor Thought in this nerf

Edited by FatherJohn_, May 03 2017 - 00:51.

V_A_C_A #17 Posted May 03 2017 - 15:28

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21391 battles
The only thing that really upsets me, with this Patch 9.18, is about that arty can't platoon.
I can overcome all other arty changes. It's just a thing to adapt the gameplay for it.
Lowered numbers of High Calibers, but growing numbers of Confederate's and For Counter-Battery Fire's medals.
Maybe WG could reconsider the old mobility arty nerf (not sure... it was on Patch 8.6?).

nubinator23 #18 Posted May 04 2017 - 08:34

Private

• Players
  • 29659 battles
  • [ACES] ACES
IMHO.. those who just plays arty and think the so called arty nerf is really a nerf might aswell just quit this game period. MORE arty nerfs pls!!!!!!!

GRINCH7777 #19 Posted May 05 2017 - 05:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 44477 battles
  • [SHUSH] SHUSH

View Postnubinator23, on May 04 2017 - 01:34, said:

IMHO.. those who just plays arty and think the so called arty nerf is really a nerf might aswell just quit this game period. MORE arty nerfs pls!!!!!!!

....with less than 1k games in your artys and zero stun damage so far it looks like you havent tried arty since the "update" and really didnt have much experience with it before....you really dont know wthyou're talking about.....

Edited by GRINCH7777, May 05 2017 - 05:09.

foughtwolf #20 Posted May 07 2017 - 01:45

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8503 battles
  • [HCO] HCO

View Postcapted77, on Apr 27 2017 - 10:34, said:

Arty is trash

Fixed that for you.

Stun sucks, knew it would before it came in. Also knew that arty players wouldnt really care about stunning instead of damaging and now go for paper targets so they can pen them. 

Overall just a shift from one game ruiner to another. Oh, and stun trumps spotting/track damage so LT's not only get targetted harder now, they get screwed out of their assisted damage, which is icing on the cake. 

Also tagged with #skill, #randomness, #splash

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users