in-battle platoon question

platoon

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

DrMrEd #1 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 15:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16317 battles

So tankrewards.com gives you 1 point if you platoon 5 times in a day. I play only random pubs during the day between work meetings, so typical clan platooning isn't an option (besides that my clan died during my year+ break). 

I often receive platoon invites during the countdown, and while I used to ignore these, I've recently been accepting them to get that point. However, I have no microphone configured on this system, and thus have the chat stuff turned off in the game. So when I accept the invite, my icon has a little red 'no speaker' icon on it. That's all fine and nobody has complained. At the end of the match, win or lose, the platoon always disbands and we all move on.

Q: is this a common thing for those dynamically platooning or am I missing something?

Often the platoon requester is a deep red player with only a couple thousand battles. Are they platooning to get help/advice (while I'm average at best, because I grind some low tiers, it's not uncommon that I'm one of the few yellows on the team)? Are they actually using the in-game chat? Is it worthwhile setting up a mic to chat in game? Or is everyone just 'tooning to get the points and don't care? 

(As an aside, I've had several end-of-game invites to platoon so we get Brothers in Arms. This, to me, is very sketchy. Seems like they shouldn't allow dynamic platoons after like 3 minutes into the match. But I always accept these because, hey it's another badge, and it's another point on tankrewards!)

TIA!

ImaKillYou #2 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 15:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22924 battles
  • [-GENT] -GENT
it's common for 99% of toons created in a match disband afterwards

TodSoldat #3 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 15:27

Major

• Players
  • 32734 battles
  • [-M4-] -M4-
I accept platoon invites and then leave as soon as I get back to the garage. I don't speak to them and unless they're wanting to say thanks I don't want them to speak to me. Figure they're doing missions but really don't care

GaussDeath #4 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 15:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 49371 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

A: Yes, that is common for dynamic platoons. 

I primarily use them for completing missions and do not really talk to the players during the game (unless of course I found a friend/clanmate in the game). 

MacDaddyMatty #5 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 15:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 14364 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Yes, in-game dynamic platoons rarely chat (thank God!) and usually disband once the match is over - or sooner if a platoon mate dies.

Most do it simply for a mission, or sometimes if you have the same or complementary tank.

Sometimes as a scout I'll send an invite to TDs or Arty so I'm highlighted on their mini-map in hopes that they will more readily shoot what I spot.

NL_Celt #6 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 15:30

Major

• Players
  • 24758 battles
Only ever had one guy guy come on the speaker. I didn't have a mike set up so just mentioned that in chat. A lot of players just want a platoon for a mission and possibly get the benefit of being tied to a better player in that regard, or just go with them to see what they are doing. Most times i just join and do my own thing.

Winterpeger #7 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 15:33

Captain

• Players
  • 48166 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View PostDrMrEd, on Apr 21 2017 - 08:21, said:

So tankrewards.com gives you 1 point if you platoon 5 times in a day. I play only random pubs during the day between work meetings, so typical clan platooning isn't an option (besides that my clan died during my year+ break). 

To be clear..   its not just platoon 5 times... you have to win 5 times in a platoon for the daily mission

joelmomma #8 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 15:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32614 battles
This is common, but I wouldn't call it considerate.  The reality is that people die earlier than others in the platoon, so rather than waiting around for the match to finish they leave the platoon to start another match.  Yes this is being done to record "platoon" battles that are required for missions.  I always have my microphone off and never use the in game chat for a good reason.  That being many times a very loud person will yell in game chat or do plosives with the intent to blow your speakers.  Trust me they can do it.  I have lost a small set of speakers before.  As far as the merits behind end of match platoon invitations to get Brothers in Arms, well they are following the mission rule and code of conduct, so I say be the good person and accept the invitation.  Otherwise, you are just adding more angst to the already angry world.

DrMrEd #9 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 15:40

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16317 battles

Thanks for the feedback folks -- I sometimes feel like I'm not holding up my end because of not chatting, but if nobody's doing it, I'll let that go. A little nagging piece of my mind thought that even in wins when all 3 of us survive in a rofltstomp, the platoon disbands without comment, I thought maybe they didn't like me because I had no mic. Glad to know it's not personal!

And good point Winterpeger -- only counts if you win -- but I rarely see the results screen if we lose ;-)

Dragvertbane #10 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 16:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 36136 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

View PostDrMrEd, on Apr 21 2017 - 15:21, said

Often the platoon requester is a deep red player with only a couple thousand battles. 

I suspect, that at least some of these are Bots.

Alectrick #11 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 16:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9198 battles
  • [GSKYO] GSKYO
Its either for personal gain = Easy missions or mutual benefits = easy crucial contributions

Altwar #12 Posted Apr 21 2017 - 16:41

Captain

• Players
  • 47875 battles
  • [A-F] A-F

I accept most dynamic platoon invites or send some out for missions, but I don't verbal chat as I don't have a headset on.  I've a 5.1 speaker system around me so I can be semi-immersive in the game and I don't really care to hear someone talking over it.

In addition, I once accepted an invite from some would-be pubbie general who was a lemon and who got all salty on the verbal chat when the team refused to do a valley rush on Lakeville as he was demanding they should so. That was a less than enjoyable experience and the type of experience that frankly, I don't have time for.

So yes, dynamic platoons are cool for that one battle and I have no expectations from the other person and don't care a wit about what they do in battke unless they communicate something like "need blah-blah spotting damage" in which case I will track them on the battlefield and see if I can do some damage to what he lights for a mutual gain.  And after that battle, buh-bye.

Also tagged with platoon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users