• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

simba90 #21 Posted Apr 27 2017 - 06:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11442 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Apr 26 2017 - 16:46, said:

In Australia, it is prohibited to use "ANZAC" in anything like a commercial setting as it takes away from the solemn, commemorative nature of the holiday, yet come next month, your radio and TV will be replete with adverts Memorial Day Sales for car dealerships and department stores. Tell me I'm wrong. This does not down-grade anyone's memorial commemoration/celebration. It observes that as a nation, we in the US no longer greatly consider memorial commemorations/celebrations as a solemn event in the first place.

In NZ it is against the law to even trade(essential services excepted) on Anzac day before 1300hrs. One of the few days of the year that shops caught trading will be fined for doing so.

madxbrad13 #22 Posted Apr 27 2017 - 08:54

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19939 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD

View PostNL_Celt, on Apr 25 2017 - 19:40, said:

Hey Chieftain. You should note that my province in Canada, Newfoundland, formerly it's own country is one of the few places outside Aus and NZ that commemorates ANZAC Day. The Newfoundland Regiment had its first action at Gallipoli. They didn't suffer near the casualties as they were a later unit and were basically trained in by the ANZAC forces. They were our buddies. They also were one of the last regiments to leave as they covered the final retreat. There is a hill called Caribou Hill at Gallipoli, the caribou being our symbol and has statues at 4 places, like Beaumont-Hamel, but not Turkey so far.

The Nfld Regiment was the only unit that was given the title Royal during the war due to our continued efforts at so many battles and our contribution of troops which per capita was higher than anywhere I believe. The level of our casualties is considered one of the reasons why we fell into economic problems and were eventually to join Canada. Only nation that was forced to repay its war debt to the UK!

As a fellow newfie its always sad that people forget that we did much during the war and even then most people dont know of the place but you know its life

Just glad to see someone teaching people our history 

Ie_Shima #23 Posted Apr 27 2017 - 18:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1497 battles
  • [NIN-] NIN-

View Postmadxbrad13, on Apr 27 2017 - 08:54, said:

As a fellow newfie its always sad that people forget that we did much during the war and even then most people dont know of the place but you know its life

​Unfortunately, the general consensus of American military history buffs regarding Commonwealth efforts during the war are lackluster at best.  It is agreed upon that you led the way in North Africa, and during the start of the Italian campaign, but were then overtaken by US forces in Europe, where you were bogged down in the low countries (Belgium, Netherlands) by a combination of bad terrain, bad supplies and bad leadership.  It is also agreed upon that Montgomery was a pompous as*hole who demanded massive concessions on the part of the other allied forces, and never delivered when he was granted what he demanded, and generally made a mess of everything that he touched, and only remained in command of any forces as a concession to the British people. 

Regarding the Pacific/Asia theaters (correct me if I am wrong) the majority of combat that was seen by Commonwealth forces was Burma, Thailand and India. I am aware that you did have naval forces in the Pacific, but their efforts are not as known as those of your American counterparts. 

Beyond that, Britain was an unquestioned boon for the Allied forces as a staging area for any operations regarding the ETO, be it Overlord, Husky, or the Murmansk Convoys. 

ToothDecay #24 Posted Apr 28 2017 - 00:54

Major

• Players
  • 24955 battles
  • [NARC] NARC

Late to the party, as always I am.

I am tired of the "Memorial Day Mattress Sales" and other BS that sucks blood out of every Veteran's sacrifice to make a buck.

Thank you Chieftain for your honest thoughts.

NL_Celt #25 Posted Apr 28 2017 - 03:27

Major

• Players
  • 24240 battles

View Postmadxbrad13, on Apr 27 2017 - 04:24, said:

if you don't teach it, it gets forgotten.

NL_Celt #26 Posted Apr 28 2017 - 03:42

Major

• Players
  • 24240 battles

View PostIe_Shima, on Apr 27 2017 - 14:02, said:

​Unfortunately, the general consensus of American military history buffs regarding Commonwealth efforts during the war are lackluster at best.  It is agreed upon that you led the way in North Africa, and during the start of the Italian campaign, but were then overtaken by US forces in Europe, where you were bogged down in the low countries (Belgium, Netherlands) by a combination of bad terrain, bad supplies and bad leadership.  It is also agreed upon that Montgomery was a pompous as*hole who demanded massive concessions on the part of the other allied forces, and never delivered when he was granted what he demanded, and generally made a mess of everything that he touched, and only remained in command of any forces as a concession to the British people. 

Regarding the Pacific/Asia theaters (correct me if I am wrong) the majority of combat that was seen by Commonwealth forces was Burma, Thailand and India. I am aware that you did have naval forces in the Pacific, but their efforts are not as known as those of your American counterparts. 

Beyond that, Britain was an unquestioned boon for the Allied forces as a staging area for any operations regarding the ETO, be it Overlord, Husky, or the Murmansk Convoys. 

Talking mainly of WWI so far. In that war Nfld was in from the start as was Canada pretty quick. The USA did help tip the balance late on, but in the last 100 days, basically the only time the USA was really in action, the Canada Corps led every attack, and never failed, whilst facing much more than the USA did, advancing more, creating more casualties, etc, etc, etc. As for Nfld we had some notable encounters like when 10 Newfs held off a full German division, IIRC, at Monchy-Le-Preux, which saved the line. Basically our little nation was on the front lines the entire war pretty much.

In WWII Canada certainly did more than its share. Battle of the Atlantic. Taking on real resistance in Normandy from 12th SS Panzer and fanatical Hitler Youth, liberating Holland. Basically the Germans really hated to see the Canadians in both wars, as they always accomplished their mission. But despite doing most of the hard stuff in Italy, the USA leads the parade into Rome. The Canadian troops had opened the door, but politics had its say. The Canadians wouldn't attend.

And Canadian contributions continued in Korea and more recently in Afghanistan where the USA troops loved having the Canadians around, on the front lines, not guarding rear areas. Mind you some 35% of the Canadian army comes from Nfld.

But I will never put down the USA for its amazing and war winning effort on all fronts once they got involved in WWII. From production to commitment of manpower, and commitment to win, they had to be there to get the win.

Jarms48 #27 Posted Apr 28 2017 - 04:24

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 107 battles

I try and attend ANZAC day in whatever city I'm in, last year I attended the Port Macquarie ANZAC day whilst I was on holidays at the time, this year I attended the usual Dawn Service in the Gold Coast. Woke up at 4am to head out for Dawn Service, marched with the families medals at 5am (which I was surprised and honoured when my Grandmother gave them to me years ago), and stayed for the entire session listening to the hymns, commemorative addresses, and silently paying my respects for the entire duration. Here's an example itinerary if you're interested.

https://www.awm.gov....17_08F_lr_0.pdf

I'm not trying to knock anyone, my respects to anyone who has served or is still serving. Just giving you an idea of what at least one Australian might do on ANZAC day. :)

Edited by Jarms48, Apr 28 2017 - 04:29.

Ie_Shima #28 Posted Apr 28 2017 - 16:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1497 battles
  • [NIN-] NIN-

View PostNL_Celt, on Apr 28 2017 - 03:42, said:

Talking mainly of WWI so far. In that war Nfld was in from the start as was Canada pretty quick. The USA did help tip the balance late on, but in the last 100 days, basically the only time the USA was really in action, the Canada Corps led every attack, and never failed, whilst facing much more than the USA did, advancing more, creating more casualties, etc, etc, etc. As for Nfld we had some notable encounters like when 10 Newfs held off a full German division, IIRC, at Monchy-Le-Preux, which saved the line. Basically our little nation was on the front lines the entire war pretty much.

In WWII Canada certainly did more than its share. Battle of the Atlantic. Taking on real resistance in Normandy from 12th SS Panzer and fanatical Hitler Youth, liberating Holland. Basically the Germans really hated to see the Canadians in both wars, as they always accomplished their mission. But despite doing most of the hard stuff in Italy, the USA leads the parade into Rome. The Canadian troops had opened the door, but politics had its say. The Canadians wouldn't attend.

And Canadian contributions continued in Korea and more recently in Afghanistan where the USA troops loved having the Canadians around, on the front lines, not guarding rear areas. Mind you some 35% of the Canadian army comes from Nfld.

But I will never put down the USA for its amazing and war winning effort on all fronts once they got involved in WWII. From production to commitment of manpower, and commitment to win, they had to be there to get the win.

​Oops, thought you were talking WWII, not WWI.  There is no way the US could compete with the Commonwealth forces in WWI, we just got there to late.  The only location that the US could claim as its own achievement would have to be Belleau Wood. 

You forgot the Australian coast watchers.  That took guts and skill, and if you didn't have either, you died.  Also, the Owen Stanleys, most of the fighting to get over those was by ANZAC troops while MacArthur led troops up the coast. 

I have to contend with your claim on the Italian theater, I thought Polish troops fighting under the Union Jack did most of the work, especially in the mountains. 

KarlvonC #29 Posted Apr 30 2017 - 12:50

Sergeant

• Players
  • 65329 battles

View PostIe_Shima, on Apr 28 2017 - 03:32, said:

Does everyone realise that Australia WAS invaded by the japanese.Papua New Guinea was a Australian Colony(Part of Australia) and it didn't gain Independence until the 1970s.After the Japanese Started invading...   All Australian Troops were shipped back home.Including those in North Africa To defend our Country. The Majority of our troops were sent to Papua New Guinea to fight the Japanese where Australian troops inflicted the first ever defeat on the Japanese(I know you Americans say it was Guadalcanal but it wasnt)  Look up Kokoda and the Battles on the owen Stanley Ranges..    And Buna and Buik

Edited by KarlvonC, Apr 30 2017 - 12:52.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users