• [PBS] PBS

Nu bulli..

TanksR_Epic2 #22 Posted Apr 25 2017 - 20:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11112 battles
safe space
noun
  1. a place or environment in which a person or category of people can feel confident that they will not be exposed to discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm.
    "school must be a safe space for LGBT students"

What's wrong with that?

120mm_he #23 Posted Apr 25 2017 - 20:43

Major

• Players
  • 16494 battles
  • [PBS] PBS

View PostTanksR_Epic2, on Apr 25 2017 - 14:27, said:

safe space
noun
  1. a place or environment in which a person or category of people can feel confident that they will not be exposed to discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm.

What's wrong with that?

Rena_Dyne #24 Posted Apr 26 2017 - 02:43

Major

• Players
  • 9151 battles
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA

View PostTanksR_Epic2, on Apr 25 2017 - 11:27, said:

safe space
noun

What's wrong with that?

The fact that's not really how reality works. People are always going to judge you and criticize you.  Criticism is a foundation of human thoughts and how we evolve and change, what you consider "Bullying" can be just people telling you the truth, if you haven't showered for a week and someone tells you you stink, thats not bullying, but your "Safe spaces" Demand people not tell you that you reek. Safe spaces are a cancerous tumor on societies [edited], people need to learn how to grow a pair again.

_Tsavo_ #25 Posted Apr 26 2017 - 02:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46824 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

safe space
noun

What's wrong with that?

The problem there is they've lumped criticism in with discrimination and harassment.  They are not the same.  Being critical of a view, mindset, law, etc, is not directly harmful.  The world challenges opinions and theories every day.  You'll encounter people and ideals that you won't like every day.  Your own ideals will be criticized.  If an idea cannot/theory/opinion cannot survive criticism, it probably isn't a very good one to begin with.

Safe spaces, at least as mentioned here, are places where one can express one particular opinion without any differing opinions being heard or even permitted to be said aloud.  Frankly, safe spaces are pretty close to a dictatorship in terms of how one can freely express opinions.  Only certain opinions are allowed in these areas.  

If an opinion, idea, or ideology can only survive in a place where it, by force, will receive no challenge, criticism, or opposing view, then why hold it in the first place?

zarg12 #26 Posted Apr 26 2017 - 18:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23028 battles
SJWs? In MY World of tanks? It's more likely than you think.

120mm_he #27 Posted Apr 29 2017 - 18:48

Major

• Players
  • 16494 battles
  • [PBS] PBS

View Postzarg12, on Apr 26 2017 - 12:13, said:

Eh they mostly hang out on the forums where they are easily dealt with. No one cares in game though general chat can get heated since there is no moderation there anymore but that's more trolls being trolls.

Sciobaryota #28 Posted May 01 2017 - 21:56

Private

• -Players-
  • 1470 battles

@TanksR_Epic2 Life is a b*tch, plain and simple. There's a$$hole$ everywhere you look. You CAN avoid them, and avoid

drawing attention to them by not acting like a fool, and not bein so overly sweet to the point of acting like a loser. Lear to

defend yourself aswell. Mentally, physically, and emotionally.

Edited by Sciobaryota, May 01 2017 - 21:57.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #29 Posted May 03 2017 - 00:57

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

Well this thread is certainly entertaining...:coin:

But would you like to know what I find even more entertaining..?

*It's the dumb look on peoples' faces once they finally realize that their online digital footprint is forever...and every single word they ever typed over the internet is being saved and archived, and absolutely can, and... eventually will be traced back to them. Yep, and it's no longer a question of "if" this will happen...it's simply a matter of when.

Yes, I can certainly see a typical job interview {in the not too distant future} where an applicants name is 'googled' by an interviewer, and then... "lo and behold"...POOF! Every mean-spirited, cowardly, and hateful word and comment that person has ever typed over the "anonymous" internet will be immediately brought up onto a big screen for everyone in the room to see. Yep, I find the digital-footprint-karma very entertaining.

So remember, people...

*The online digital footprint you leave behind is forever. Tread wisely.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #30 Posted May 04 2017 - 06:25

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View Postzarg12, on Apr 26 2017 - 12:13, said:

View Post120mm_he, on Apr 29 2017 - 12:48, said:

Eh they mostly hang out on the forums where they are easily dealt with. No one cares in game though general chat can get heated since there is no moderation there anymore but that's more trolls being trolls.

Why do you say that..? And what do you mean by "easily dealt with"..? Do you have a problem with decent honest folks calling others out on their mean, hateful and vitriolic online behaviour..? Do they make you feel uncomfortable..? If so, good. It's all a part of that free speech thing. It works both ways, remember. Get used to it.

safe space
noun

What's wrong with that?

Honestly OP, I believe the fundamental problem we are currently experiencing with the internet community, is that we have a significant group of highly influential online-people that still perceive the internet as being strangely separate from "the real world". Therefore, all that hateful, cowardly, mean-spirited, and vitriolic content they spew on a daily basis "doesn't really matter", because "it's just the internet". This is absolute nonsense. Of course it matters. And whether we like it , or not... the internet is NOT "separate" from our real lives, it is now an integral part of it...especially now. *We all affect the internet, and the internet affects us all.

*Millions of people all over the world are not only using and relying on the internet every day, but they are even building and shaping their real lives around the internet. So, if you ever see someone online claiming that "nothing ever affects them over the internet", they are either flat out lying, or they belong to that group that is spewing out the vitriol...and they're just trying to justify their disturbing behaviour because they obviously have something to hide. 

Lastly, regarding these "internet safe spaces"..? ...I don't even know what that is supposed to mean..? We shouldn't even be making a distinction between online behaviour, and the acceptable behaviour out on your local street. In other words, if we see someone spewing out hateful vitriol garbage, it shouldn't matter to us whether it's online, or in our favourite ball park, we need to stand up and call them out on it. Whether it's spewed online, or directly to a persons face, hate-garbage is garbage... and the people spewing it need to be held accountable for it.

120mm_he #31 Posted May 04 2017 - 07:19

Major

• Players
  • 16494 battles
  • [PBS] PBS

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on May 04 2017 - 00:25, said:

Why do you say that..? And what do you mean by "easily dealt with"..? Do you have a problem with decent honest folks calling others out on their mean, hateful and vitriolic online behaviour..? Do they make you feel uncomfortable..? If so, good. It's all a part of that free speech thing. It works both ways, remember. Get used to it.

Free speech means you have the right to state your position. It however does nothing to protect that position from opposition views. It's called discussion. SJW would have you not allowed to speak at all in any form if they feel your opinion isn't the same as theirs. This is the disconnect with the movement. If you disagree with someone either refute their argument or don't invite them to your tea parties. SJW would rather dress up in black and beat you with a stick and pepper spray you because you don't agree with them. Not very democratic eh?

Iron_Soul_Stealer #32 Posted May 04 2017 - 08:08

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View Post120mm_he, on May 04 2017 - 01:19, said:

Free speech means you have the right to state your position. It however does nothing to protect that position from opposition views. It's called discussion. SJW would have you not allowed to speak at all in any form if they feel your opinion isn't the same as theirs. This is the disconnect with the movement. If you disagree with someone either refute their argument or don't invite them to your tea parties. SJW would rather dress up in black and beat you with a stick and pepper spray you because you don't agree with them. Not very democratic eh?

Ok, then why are honest and decent folks around here {including myself} often labelled "SJWs", {as an obvious derogatory slur} when all these folks are doing is calling others out on their vitriol-infested-hate-mongering..?  

Again, I have absolutely no problem with respectful discussion, differing opinions, and civil discourse, and I absolutely support a free and democratic society. What I don't support however, is hate speech and mean-spirited-online vitriol. And I will stand up and call people out on that, whether it's online, or on the streets. There is no argument to refute there, and there's absolutely nothing to learn from them that I don't already know. It's not hard to figure out mean-spirited hate. So, yes...of course they are free to spew their hate-garbage, but I am also free to call them out on it. Does that make me a social justice warrior..? Or a just a decent human being..?

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/541971-so-when-did-it-become-okay-to-be-a-racist/page__st__60__pid__10960513#entry10960513

Furthermore, racism is NOT an "opinion"...:facepalm: No matter how much someone wants to "dress it up" and put lipstick on it:

Spoiler

^..Yes, sadly, that's what it has come to. I fear for the future of this world...I really do.

PUNISHER989 #33 Posted May 04 2017 - 08:11

Major

• Players
  • 26501 battles

You taking things personal from another person that you will probably never ever see is your problem. 

Iron_Soul_Stealer #34 Posted May 04 2017 - 08:26

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostPUNISHER989, on May 04 2017 - 02:11, said:

You taking things personal from another person that you will probably never ever see is your problem. 

Are you addressing this to me, or the OP..?

If you're directing this to me...

As I stated before, I'm not "taking things personally", I'm standing up for what I believe...and for my values. Whether it's online, or on the street, I will call someone out for their vitriolic hate mongering. Yep, online, or on the street face to face, I make no distinction. They are both an integral part of our real world now. And you're a real person for typing what you did, even if I never see your real face. Lastly, let's not spin this around and play "blame the victim", here...and say it's my problem. C'mon, the problem are the people spewing/typing the vitriol garbage in the first place.

PUNISHER989 #35 Posted May 04 2017 - 11:29

Major

• Players
  • 26501 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on May 04 2017 - 09:26, said:

Are you addressing this to me, or the OP..?

If you're directing this to me...

As I stated before, I'm not "taking things personally", I'm standing up for what I believe...and for my values. Whether it's online, or on the street, I will call someone out for their vitriolic hate mongering. Yep, online, or on the street face to face, I make no distinction. They are both an integral part of our real world now. And you're a real person for typing what you did, even if I never see your real face. Lastly, let's not spin this around and play "blame the victim", here...and say it's my problem. C'mon, the problem are the people spewing/typing the vitriol garbage in the first place.

To the OP to clarify.

I personally couldn't careless what some 12 year old or some hate spewing "person" says. 

Iron_Soul_Stealer #36 Posted May 14 2017 - 20:43

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostPUNISHER989, on May 04 2017 - 05:29, said:

To the OP to clarify.

I personally couldn't careless what some 12 year old or some hate spewing "person" says. 

^..You really should care, regardless of who you are addressing this comment to.

*Because that online-hate-spewing 12-year-old is going to grow up some day...and when they do, they will, quite possibly, be running the 'global-show'. And if no one has the time or courage to stand up and call them out on their hate-spewing-vitriolic-online-garbage, right now, then it's just going to get worse, and worse in real life. Especially if it's not kept in check when they're still young and impressionable enough to change their ways.

*On that note... 

Have you ever watched this film?: American History X

If not, I highly recommend it. Keep an open mind, and pay close attention to the story. You, and some others here, might find it very interesting.

Spoiler

Again...

*Hate speech is NOT free speech.

It always comes at a terrible cost to society. And, in the end, we ALL pay the price.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #37 Posted May 15 2017 - 01:52

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostGeek_Verve, on May 02 2017 - 23:31, said:

People like to behave however and say whatever they want online and claim it's just internet chatter, yet when they [edited]about arty or MM, we're supposed to hang on their every word.

I remember a time when people were held immediately and personally accountable for what came out of their mouths.

^..Yep, I remember those times, too. Good times.

And as history has shown us, words and language are humanitys' most powerful tools...but can also be our most destructive weapons. Use them wisely. 

Again people...

*The online digital footprint you leave behind is forever. Tread wisely.

PUNISHER989 #38 Posted May 15 2017 - 06:47

Major

• Players
  • 26501 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on May 14 2017 - 21:43, said:

Spoiler

Ok I really need to use full sentences. I just meant I don't let it get to like some individuals do on the internet and that's how internet bully started as people took it personally what others thought or said on the internet. 

Of course they should and must be held accountable. It's the parents behavior that most kids emulate or their peers, which is why a parent should educate their child and not let them have internet in their bedrooms giving them free rein to mix with what ever sort of people the internet can pump out without the parents first preparing them for it or just monitoring it.

I do support in what you are saying and yes I have seen that movie, great one in deed. I will remember to point to that in future arguments. 

The days of when respect was high on the order of things and you were held very much accountable are dwindling. 

I know you or I cant change the whole world on this perspective. but I say "If you are not helping to fix the issue, you are apart of the issue."

Cheerz

Iron_Soul_Stealer #39 Posted May 21 2017 - 01:15

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostPUNISHER989, on May 15 2017 - 00:47, said:

Ok I really need to use full sentences. I just meant I don't let it get to like some individuals do on the internet and that's how internet bully started as people took it personally what others thought or said on the internet. 

Of course they should and must be held accountable. It's the parents behavior that most kids emulate or their peers, which is why a parent should educate their child and not let them have internet in their bedrooms giving them free rein to mix with what ever sort of people the internet can pump out without the parents first preparing them for it or just monitoring it.

I do support in what you are saying and yes I have seen that movie, great one in deed. I will remember to point to that in future arguments. 

The days of when respect was high on the order of things and you were held very much accountable are dwindling. 

I know you or I cant change the whole world on this perspective. but I say "If you are not helping to fix the issue, you are apart of the issue."

Cheerz

^..Some good points there. And I'm glad you liked the movie.

*Personally, I think each and every person in this world {especially young people} should have to watch that movie [American History X] as part of their required school curriculum...and then write an essay on what they've learned. Consequently, if some of the hate-spewing vitriolic people here in our forum had to "eat" their own toxic-online words, they would surely be poisoned to death. 

Lastly, my point is NOT about having "internet safe spaces", or "taking things personally over the internet", {that's irrelevant}. My point is about having the courage and common decency to stand up for what you believe in regardless of where you happen to see it. So again, whether it's online, or face-to-face at my local ball park, when I see someone spewing out hateful vitriol garbage, I will call them on it.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #40 Posted May 26 2017 - 00:34

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostPanzer2_2013, on Apr 24 2017 - 18:21, said:

If you're being bullied, stand up to whoever is berating you. Also it's never too early or too late to practice standing up for yourself. 

Outstanding, Dude! :)

*And remember everyone, the online digital footprint we all leave behind is FOREVER!

Tread wisely....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users