Does Win Rate measure your ability?

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

da_Rock002 #141 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 17:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 7553 battles

View PostWangOnTheLoose, on Jan 12 2018 - 08:43, said:

Your win rate isn't moving even though your average dmg has gone up because you still are not doing enough extra damage to influence the game, this leaves you at the mercy of your team which is never good.

Also from your win rate chart it actually looks like you are moving up in winrate over the last 1000 games.

my "win rate isn't moving"  much at all because as you mentioned, we are all "at the mercy of our teams".

You're spot on about mercy mattering.  It matters more to our WR because that's what WR measures, how one team does against the other. 

Nunya_000 #142 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 17:24

Major

• Players
  • 21033 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View Postda_Rock002, on Jan 12 2018 - 08:05, said:

my "win rate isn't moving"  much at all because as you mentioned, we are all "at the mercy of our teams".

You're spot on about mercy mattering.  It matters more to our WR because that's what WR measures, how one team does against the other. 

Yes, there are battles where we are at the mercy of our teams.  But what separates players that do increase their W/R and those that don't is that some players can and do influence 1, 2 or even 3 battles out of every 100 than they had in the past. Those that can not influence just a couple of more battles will see little change.  It really does not take many battles out of every 100 battles played to increase W/R over time.  It just needs to be done consistently.  If you are resigning yourself to "oh well, my W/R is at the mercy of the teams I get assigned to", then you will probably have an uphill battle in increasing your W/R.

Your average damage is probably increasing because you are playing higher tier tanks than you were previously.  For instance, some tier 6 tanks can do more damage with one hit than a tier 2 tank can do with 5 hits.  Just because your average damage is going up, that does not mean you are necessarily being more productive in your battles.  What is important is that your WN8 is increasing.  Keep it up and you will start seeing an increase in your W/R.  In the past 30 days you have averaged a 49.44% W/R, which is better than your 47.5% W/R overall.  Your past 7 days is 50.7%.  Stay consistent like this and you will see your overall W/R increase, but it will take time.

scharnhorst310 #143 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 17:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 24444 battles

View Postda_Rock002, on Jan 12 2018 - 08:05, said:

You also went from being abysmal, to just not very good (so we aren't talking minutia differences). Now if you went from your previous dreadful ability to say very good, and didn't see a difference wow wouldn't that be something. It is funny though that your winrates in tier 8 and tier 7 tanks are so consistently terrible. I'm sure you sprinkle some games with those tanks in there and voila not hard for a gaming session of not that many games see a drop because you don't know what you are doing. I've also suggested you go to vbaddict. Your dossier file has an inordinate amount of stats hidden in it; I can guarantee you will find something in there you didn't know before. Not sure why so reluctant using tools that only provide extra information... nothing to be afraid of. 

Edited by scharnhorst310, Jan 12 2018 - 17:56.

NeatoMan #144 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 18:10

Major

• Players
  • 25918 battles

View Postda_Rock002, on Jan 12 2018 - 11:05, said:

As far as win rate on an absolute scale (from 0-100%) you are correct.  Server win rates mainly fit within a narrow range of ~40% to 60%.   That shows just how much dependence we have on our teams. 

However, win rate as an individual measure should be interpreted on a relative scale (i.e. how far you are from the average).  That's a completely valid approach for interpreting win rate, because it eliminates the team aspect from consideration.   How far you deviate is a measure of your contribution or lack of contribution to your teams.  Because of the team dependence mentioned above, it takes a long time for this to manifest itself (i.e. for the signal to rise above the noise), which is why it takes many games to become a decent enough measure.

As far as your original point about starting off hot, and then dropping while other stats rise, you completely ignore the concept of sample size, as well as your progression up the tech trees.

da_Rock002 #145 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 18:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 7553 battles

View PostNeatoMan, on Jan 12 2018 - 12:10, said:

As far as win rate on an absolute scale (from 0-100%) you are correct.  Server win rates mainly fit within a narrow range of ~40% to 60%.   That shows just how much dependence we have on our teams.

However, win rate as an individual measure should be interpreted on a relative scale (i.e. how far you are from the average).  That's a completely valid approach for interpreting win rate, because it eliminates the team aspect from consideration.   How far you deviate is a measure of your contribution or lack of contribution to your teams.  Because of the team dependence mentioned above, it takes a long time for this to manifest itself (i.e. for the signal to rise above the noise), which is why it takes many games to become a decent enough measure.

As far as your original point about starting off hot, and then dropping while other stats rise, you completely ignore the concept of sample size, as well as your progression up the tech trees.

lol....  funny thing is I completely ignore sample size for a really good reason.

I'm not sampling.   Not doing guesstimates.   Not looking at a handful to make a prediction.    I counted a number of things after each and every battle was over, but especially recorded the each and every battle.   You can't get a larger sample size than that when your focus is on something like how you are progressing.    Looking at every game as they accumulate isn't taking a sample.   It's looking at the whole "season" as it unfolds.  I'm tracking every instance.   Not trying to predict anything, right.  

lol....  quite humorously, you mention my progression up the trees.   Your insight into me fails yet again.   I've moved up the tiers for sure.   But I've never seriously chosen to grind the trees.   Yeah, I've wanted to stay off trees filled with rotten branches but that's the extent of tree climbing.   But that's just another thing about me you blew.    

WangOnTheLoose #146 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 19:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 25748 battles
  • [TG] TG

View Postda_Rock002, on Jan 12 2018 - 11:05, said:

No your win rate isn't moving much, though it is moving up, because you have 6k battles and your current win rate is only sufficient to move it slowly.

Now you are at the mercy of your teams more than most because you don't do your own health back in damage.  If you improve to a point where you matter in most of your games you will see your win rate increase at a faster pace.

Edited by WangOnTheLoose, Jan 12 2018 - 19:05.

WangOnTheLoose #147 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 19:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 25748 battles
  • [TG] TG

View Postda_Rock002, on Jan 12 2018 - 12:53, said:

lol....  funny thing is I completely ignore sample size for a really good reason.

I'm not sampling.   Not doing guesstimates.   Not looking at a handful to make a prediction.    I counted a number of things after each and every battle was over, but especially recorded the each and every battle.   You can't get a larger sample size than that when your focus is on something like how you are progressing.    Looking at every game as they accumulate isn't taking a sample.   It's looking at the whole "season" as it unfolds.  I'm tracking every instance.   Not trying to predict anything, right. 

lol....  quite humorously, you mention my progression up the trees.   Your insight into me fails yet again.   I've moved up the tiers for sure.   But I've never seriously chosen to grind the trees.   Yeah, I've wanted to stay off trees filled with rotten branches but that's the extent of tree climbing.   But that's just another thing about me you blew.  

You are missing his point about moving up the tech tree.  As multiple people have already tried to explain to you averaging 200 dmg a game in tier II and 300 dmg per game in tier V isn't that much of a difference.  It might actually mean you are doing worse even if the number is bigger.  So it is entirely possible that you are seeing an increase in dmg per game while actually playing worse.  I am not saying that is what is happening but it is possible and that is his point.

NeatoMan #148 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 19:13

Major

• Players
  • 25918 battles

View Postda_Rock002, on Jan 12 2018 - 12:53, said:

yes it is but one game has a much larger impact on your win rate when you've only played 100 battles vs 1000 vs 10,000.  That's just basic math.   The team dependence becomes much more important with smaller sample sizes too.  Random luck plays a much larger role in smaller sample sizes (number of games played), and therefore has a much larger effect on your win rate because, as mentioned earlier,...math.

Block Quote

damage, and XP always go up as you move up the tiers.  There are more HP available on both teams for damage, and therefore more XP to be had.  You are the one who pointed out how they were all going up, yet your win rate wasn't.  If you remained at the same tier and had that happen you may have a point, but since you moved up the tiers, the increase in dmg and xp is to be expected, even if your win rate didn't go up.

LpBronco #149 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 03:40

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 39712 battles
  • [TG] TG
Quit responding to this troll, he isn't listening. He thinks he knows and isn't teachable.

da_Rock002 #150 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 11:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 7553 battles

View PostNeatoMan, on Jan 12 2018 - 13:13, said:

yes it is but one game has a much larger impact on your win rate when you've only played 100 battles vs 1000 vs 10,000.  That's just basic math.   The team dependence becomes much more important with smaller sample sizes too.  Random luck plays a much larger role in smaller sample sizes (number of games played), and therefore has a much larger effect on your win rate because, as mentioned earlier,...math.

damage, and XP always go up as you move up the tiers.  There are more HP available on both teams for damage, and therefore more XP to be had.  You are the one who pointed out how they were all going up, yet your win rate wasn't.  If you remained at the same tier and had that happen you may have a point, but since you moved up the tiers, the increase in dmg and xp is to be expected, even if your win rate didn't go up.

View PostLpBronco, on Jan 12 2018 - 21:40, said:

Quit responding to this troll, he isn't listening. He thinks he knows and isn't teachable.

Better yet, understand what was being said before whipping out irrelevant noise.  

Identifying improving game performance is simple.   It doesn't require factoring in the effect of your battle count.   It doesn't require interpreting stats like WR.

For example, living longer in battles is something worth watching.  Number of shots taken, higher hit counts, and more pens are things that show improvement.   Increased damage is also nice.  Of course, quantifying it would matter if you're moving to different equipment, higher tier or not.    Comparing actual numbers is a real good thing, and really should be done if you're interested in seeing your progress.  

Looking at a developing process (like learning the game) really has little to do with taking samples if you know what to look at.

Taking samples isn't what I'm doing nor is it "math", samples are "statistics".    

And smoke is just smoke. 

LpBronco #151 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 12:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 39712 battles
  • [TG] TG
...and this is just noise. 

dunniteowl #152 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 14:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 22196 battles
It's amazing how much you can make sense and then make it make no sense with detailed explication of your 'application' of said 'sense.'

Nunya_000 #153 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 16:22

Major

• Players
  • 21033 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View Postda_Rock002, on Jan 13 2018 - 02:56, said:

Better yet, understand what was being said before whipping out irrelevant noise.  

Identifying improving game performance is simple.   It doesn't require factoring in the effect of your battle count.   It doesn't require interpreting stats like WR.

For example, living longer in battles is something worth watching.  Number of shots taken, higher hit counts, and more pens are things that show improvement.   Increased damage is also nice.  Of course, quantifying it would matter if you're moving to different equipment, higher tier or not.    Comparing actual numbers is a real good thing, and really should be done if you're interested in seeing your progress.  

Looking at a developing process (like learning the game) really has little to do with taking samples if you know what to look at.

And smoke is just smoke. 

Well certainly a player can have an feeling on whether they are improving or not.  However, things like survivabilty, hit %, and numbers of penetration (while still important) may not tell the whole picture.  What is more important is:  Are you helping your team enough to win?  Are you being productive enough to pull your own weight?  Do you consistently do your own HP in damage?  If you are, then you will win more battles....and will see an increase in your W/R. 

Sure, you need to depend on your team mates to help you win at times, but they are also depending on you.  If you do not do your own HP in damage, somebody has to pick up the slack if your team is going to win.  If you do your own HP in damage consistently enough, you will have more wins......and that is why W/R is a good reflection of a player's skill.  WN8 is a good reflection of a player's consistency.

NeatoMan #154 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 17:10

Major

• Players
  • 25918 battles

View Postda_Rock002, on Jan 13 2018 - 05:56, said:

And smoke is just smoke.

All you provided was graphs showing increasing damage and xp. with decreasing wins, without any other context.   As has been pointed out, simply playing higher tiers will increase both.   It's not a great measure of improvement unless you keep the tiers/tanks consistent.   One of the better statistics to look at is damage done/damage received ratio.   It accounts for increasing tier better than just straight up damage.  Kills per game is the other.  Both of those are more directly related to wins than any other statistic.

Your average kpg was an abysmal 0.4 kpg between 1000 and 1800 games, which, not surprisingly, corresponds to the plummeting win rate seen at the beginning of the graphs in the original post.  Your average damage improved, but your average tier jumped significantly too.  Since your avg damage was low to begin with, the improvement still put you below average dpg.  

http://www.noobmeter...20170207_231431

maybe you misunderstand what is being referred to with "sample size".   In this case it simply refers to the number of games you have played,   With fewer games played early in your career, each win or loss raises/lowers your win rate far more drastically than later in your career.   You are going to get far greater peaks and valleys in your overall win rate earlier in your career, all due to the effects of randomness.   So while you may have started out "hot", eventually it will regress toward a mean the more games you play.  These are basic math and statistical concepts. 

After 800 games you've got a 20% probability of randomly getting a 51.5% win rate, so your initial hot streak could be just luck (again sample size matters).  It certainly wasn't supported by great output on your part.  Your current overall 47.5% win rate is the more appropriate result given your total output, and in line with your kpg.  

Now look at your last 1000 games

http://www.noobmeter...002/1023298918/

your kpg has improved significantly; to just above the server average.  Your 49.9% win rate during that period coincidentally is also just above the server average.  In general you will find for each +0.1 kpg improvement, your win rate will improve by ~1%.   As shown above 1000 games is still subject to luck, but if you continue that output, it becomes less and less a factor, and regresses to the appropriate mean (which for 0.7 kpg is ~49-50%).

With this data from your own stats showing a clear improvement in win rate, corresponding to an improving kpg, I don't know how you come to the conclusion that win rate isn't a measure of your ability.  Is it exact? no.   Is it influenced by teams?  in the short term, yes. In the long run, no.

mattwong #155 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 17:40

Major

• Players
  • 30470 battles

Statistics are not "irrelevant noise".  They are how we separate subjective opinion from empirical fact.  If something is real, it should show up in statistics.

Ever heard of the phrase "show me the money?"  Well, the win-rate is the money, and we want to see those Benjamins.  Without them, all you have is noise.

But if all those things improve without producing an improvement in win-rate, then you're still doing something wrong.  SHOW ME THE MONEY.

I love the way you denigrate statistics but say that people should look at stupid stats like "shots taken".  That is also a statistic, in case you haven't figure it out yet, but it's a stupid statistic.  You could boost your "shots taken" by firing over and over into the sky.

Statistics are how we separate truth from delusion.  If you claim to be improving, but it doesn't show up in the only statistic that matters, then you're just playing games with yourself.

SHOW ME THE MONEY.

Oldcook #156 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 19:41

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13751 battles
  • [W-UNI] W-UNI

What I am doing , is trying to make my own hit points in Damage plus. The plus means I am helping that much more. I am trying to stick to a tier range that is a little more helpful and not jumping between vehicles. Try picking one or two vehicles grinding and improving skills for crews. My win rate has dropped by .20 but  in the long run it will hopefully improve as I get more consistent. 

TankFullOfBourbon #157 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 20:32

Major

• Players
  • 26209 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
Look OP, a lot of people here have been trying to help you. If you like to hear it or not is up to you. Yes, we are all at the mercy of our teams but the win rate reflects how you are able to influence the team winning. You don't always succeed but over 1000 games your impact shows one way or the other in the win rate. Blaming the teams you're in when we are talking about 1000 games is just rubbish. But if you care not to own up to it is your problem.

GunTurret #158 Posted Jan 15 2018 - 16:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16827 battles
  • [USMC-] USMC-

View Postdunniteowl, on Jan 12 2018 - 09:46, said:

The bolded section is the crux of your issue.

As long as you believe that MM determines whether or not you're going to win, then you are truly 'at the mercy' of your teams.  Honestly, if the game is that rigged, why would a sane person even play?  Where's the payoff in terms of perception of fairness or reward for effort expended?  If it's this bad, then you are nothing more than flotsam on the sea of WoT MM Algorithms.

And if you truly believe this, you will have no drive, no impetus to do anything on your own to do what it takes to tell MM, "STFU, Pal, I'm winning anyway!"  Because it's rigged, in your eyes, there's nothing you can do about it, it's all MM, so there's no reason for you to even expend any more effort than you are, which is so marginal at this point that you being on someone's team brings their chances to win DOWN.  In your case, not significantly, though imagine if you simply took a more winning attitude and said, "I'm going to beat this rigged MM if it's the last thing I do..." instead of the current, "OH, I am at the mercy of MM, woe betide and hope my team wins this time..."  

Imagine...

You're this | ----------- | close to crossing the cusp and, honestly, all it takes from you is a teensy, weensy bit more positivity -- with a smidgen of more attention to the flow of the game on purpose and you'd have a recipe for being green instead of red.  Literally, just a little bit further and you'd be there.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Good post, nothing here to argue with...
You said if I or anyone believes the game is rigged then why would a sane person play...?
I think I play because I do win a game every now and again and it is worth it...  if mm puts teams together for specific reasons then in fairness mm is not "Rigging" the game just for me...
Maybe there is a Green or Red player on my team then MM thinks needs to lose just to keep the game interesting for them... I mean if you win EVERY game, what is the point... = boring...
 I play because there is a chance for me to win... a 48.39 % chance.. (as of today)
But I have to tell you after this last game when I shot 2 rounds from my tier 7 at a tier 6 and nothing happened... I believe in rigging... but it's ok, maybe that tier 6 deserved to have a winning game this time...
I mean I shot 2 rounds center mass and in sniper mode watched my rounds vanish into thin air... the 3rd round bounced or didn't pen... can't remember but here is the replay.
I am not pissed I just believe that is the way it is, Some games I do extremely well other games I suck badly... but I enjoy playing more now than when I was sooooo into this winrate thing...

Edited by GunTurret, Jan 17 2018 - 19:02.

scharnhorst310 #159 Posted Jan 15 2018 - 18:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 24444 battles

View PostGunTurret, on Jan 15 2018 - 07:56, said:

Good post, nothing here to argue with...
You said if I or anyone believes the game is rigged then why would a sane person play...?
I think I play because I do win a game every now and again and it is worth it...  if mm puts teams together for specific reasons then in fairness mm is not "Rigging" the game just for me...
Maybe there is a Green or Red player on my team then MM thinks needs to lose just to keep the game interesting for them... I mean if you win EVERY game, what is the point... = boring...
 I play because there is a chance for me to win... a 48.39 % chance.. (as of today)
But I have to tell you after this last game when I shot 2 rounds from my tier 7 at a tier 6 and nothing happened... I believe in rigging... but it's ok, maybe that tier 6 deserved to have a winning game this time...
I mean I shot 2 rounds center mass and in sniper mode watched my rounds vanish into thin air... the 3rd round bounced or didn't pen... can't remember but here is the replay.
I am not pissed I just believe that is the way it is, Some games I do extremely well other games I suck badly... but I enjoy playing more now than when I was sooooo into this winrate thing...
http://wotreplays.eu/site/4094273

Your first shot on the vk simply missed, to the left. It wasn't center mass you had a tiny sliver to shoot at and it missed. Second shot likely got absorbed by the wall (thank you wg for using fat bullets), your next shot bounced on his mantlet because of the extreme angle, when the tier 8 guy came in the picture you aimed at the right spot and did damage plus tracked him (though it took you way to long to shoot him), and your next shot on him bounce (why you just didn't aim at the same spot will forever escape me) because you aimed further back and the angle had become more extreme. Nothing magical. You did so many things poorly (as expected because you aren't a spectacular player) and you left plenty of damage in that game unrecognized. Happy to go over it, but i'm also not going to waste my time if you don't care to learn. 

See good players have good games, more of them sure. But the key to what makes a good player is playing at a high level consistently. I don't get top guns every match, instead I limit my bad games like what you just had, and try to get a bit more damage in on the other matches. It isn't voodoo, it is simple math. Less bad games, and more good games (not amazing games, not epic omg games, just have more regular good games) and the numbers/stats follow. 

You are an average player or maybe a touch below depending on the tier. That means you don't contribute a whole lot all that often. Doesn't mean you don't have good games, but those games only happen when the match unfolds in just the right way, and voila you get a great game. Being average also means these matches feel random because to you in many ways they are. You don't impact matches much one way or the other. So you only win if the team is pretty good, and you lose if it ain't. Makes complete sense as to why you feel at the mercy of MM; but the reality is you just haven't learned to control the things you can control. 

It is also part of the "ego" to come up with all sorts of reasons for why these things happen, external forces at play vs looking inward. You don't get to be good if you never view yourself as bad at some point. One of my favorite little pleasures is to take on those people 1v1, because in 15v15 pub battles these people make excuses for everything under the sun. They delude themselves into thinking they are actually better than they are. That there are these mystical forces holding them back... So when they get a chance for the first time to 1v1, and they get to experience what skill is and looks like, it is a tremendous awakening. Most realize (though others are so dense they still can't comprehend it) that they never stood a chance, that all their beliefs about how things work were wrong... dead wrong. It just takes "a come to jesus" moment for some people. 

I found that 1v1 was better and getting people a jump-start into realizing they were wrong, and to begin the process of learning again. Platooning with a good player can be good; but often times if the skill gap is too great you just don't pick up on everything that person does. When i was bad, my first games with a good player in a platoon, it literally seemed like magic that somehow he got all this damage in during the same games, at the same locations I was at... I couldn't grasp everything that was going on at that time. 

Edited by scharnhorst310, Jan 15 2018 - 18:55.

Peak_Bagger #160 Posted Jan 15 2018 - 19:08

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16273 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

View Postscharnhorst310, on Jan 15 2018 - 18:46, said:

You are an average player or maybe a touch below depending on the tier. That means you don't contribute a whole lot all that often. Doesn't mean you don't have good games, but those games only happen when the match unfolds in just the right way, and voila you get a great game. Being average also means these matches feel random because to you in many ways they are. You don't impact matches much one way or the other. So you only win if the team is pretty good, and you lose if it ain't.

You just described me and my game to a T, Scharnhorst. I do okay, with the occasional great game if things unfold the right way. Somehow, I had a great day in the game yesterday (at least for me) but I need to become much more consistent to get my win rate respectable. I'm getting more and more confident that I can swing occasional games in the middle tiers, but I'm more of a passenger at higher tiers rather than a driver. Gotta change that.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users