WoT 9.19 Common Test: Ranked Battle Feedback Thread

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

core101 #41 Posted May 08 2017 - 15:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 44886 battles

View PostUnknown0ne, on May 06 2017 - 08:18, said:

Improved equipment and directives is something I doubt very many people want added: Conferring on the best players (or more generally, a limited subset of players) non-skill-based advantages adds nothing of value to the game. 

As a "good" player who can likely do relatively well in ranked battles, getting improved equipment and directives isn't a reward. Instead, improved equipment and directives being added to the game is a punishment. Their addition makes them almost a requirement for high level competitive play. This turns a game mode I would play for fun and the chance to win some nice prizes into something I am expected to grind so I can outfit all of my competitive tier Xs for clan wars (in my personal case, clan wars campaigns specifically). 

Further, I don't want a greater advantage in random battles that would come with this system; that doesn't make the game better, and it certainly doesn't make it more fair. New(er) players are already at a significant disadvantage in terms of what they have available to them; with more limited access to tank modules (e.g. stock versus fully upgraded), crews, premium rounds, equipment, and consumables all playing a part in how well they perform. Not to mention the players who suffer most from these are also often the players who are the least experienced at the game, effectively compounding their lack of experience.

The addition of improved equipment and directives will not only further the gap between new players and highly skilled veterans though, it will also create gaps that didn't exist before, between players who play (and do well in) ranked battles and those who do not. Again, I don't see how this improves the game (or makes WG more money): How is creating more artificial disparities beneficial to the majority of players in the game?

In addition, for "high level" competitive play there's already a long and hard path to reach a point where one's account has the resources to be truly competitive at tier X. The requirement for a number of specific tier X tanks (especially with tank locking), highly skilled crews for each of those tanks. Along with simpler things like equipment and consumables. Adding another barrier on that path in the form of improved equipment and directives is detrimental to the game: A strong competitive scene is good for the game; people who are apart of communities (clans or tournament teams) are far more likely to stick around and invest more time (and money) into the game. A strong competitive scene with good rewards encourages such communities to form, grow, and improve: it creates goals players can work towards after they have a garage full of tier X tanks. However, if the barrier of entry is too high; the goal too far, it will discourage players who otherwise would have become far more engaged in the game. To this end, it needs to be easier for new players to reach competitive parity in terms of their accounts versus long-time players, not harder.

Please, don't add improved equipment and directives. There is plenty of other ways to reward players who do well in ranked battles without giving them an advantage over everyone else.

I can't agree with more. This new bonds thing will make those newbies more frustrated. they may end up quitting this game sooner. If WG really want to reward those good players, they can reward them a special badge based on their performance in the rank battle. WG shouldn't let good players dominate the game ALL THE TIME. By giving the other players a chance to stand out is the key to keeping  more players joining this game. 

MMI_SPI #42 Posted May 08 2017 - 15:18

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15678 battles
  • [SNS-A] SNS-A

Improved equipement and directives shouldn't be allowed in random battles. Hell, it shouldn't be a thing. Gap in crew skills already brings a gap of performance between a long time player vs noob.

Also, the seasons should last a little longer. It's not every one who plays 5 day/week, and getting up the ranks means ppl playing less will struggle between playing ranked battles and grinding credits in random battle. It's stupid, makes it a time consuming run-against-the-clock to gain some kind of reward from that mode.

Hellsfog #43 Posted May 08 2017 - 15:39

Major

• Players
  • 30515 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA
Since both new game modes are tier 10 exclusive, will Ranked battles kill Frontline mode or vice versa?  I recognize this may be a NA server only problem but it's still a fair question.

Vampiresbane #44 Posted May 08 2017 - 19:30

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23105 battles
  • [MEDIC] MEDIC

View PostUnknown0ne, on May 06 2017 - 07:18, said:

Improved equipment and directives is something I doubt very many people want added: Conferring on the best players (or more generally, a limited subset of players) non-skill-based advantages adds nothing of value to the game.

As a "good" player who can likely do relatively well in ranked battles, getting improved equipment and directives isn't a reward. Instead, improved equipment and directives being added to the game is a punishment. Their addition makes them almost a requirement for high level competitive play. This turns a game mode I would play for fun and the chance to win some nice prizes into something I am expected to grind so I can outfit all of my competitive tier Xs for clan wars (in my personal case, clan wars campaigns specifically).

Further, I don't want a greater advantage in random battles that would come with this system; that doesn't make the game better, and it certainly doesn't make it more fair. New(er) players are already at a significant disadvantage in terms of what they have available to them; with more limited access to tank modules (e.g. stock versus fully upgraded), crews, premium rounds, equipment, and consumables all playing a part in how well they perform. Not to mention the players who suffer most from these are also often the players who are the least experienced at the game, effectively compounding their lack of experience.

The addition of improved equipment and directives will not only further the gap between new players and highly skilled veterans though, it will also create gaps that didn't exist before, between players who play (and do well in) ranked battles and those who do not. Again, I don't see how this improves the game (or makes WG more money): How is creating more artificial disparities beneficial to the majority of players in the game?

In addition, for "high level" competitive play there's already a long and hard path to reach a point where one's account has the resources to be truly competitive at tier X. The requirement for a number of specific tier X tanks (especially with tank locking), highly skilled crews for each of those tanks. Along with simpler things like equipment and consumables. Adding another barrier on that path in the form of improved equipment and directives is detrimental to the game: A strong competitive scene is good for the game; people who are apart of communities (clans or tournament teams) are far more likely to stick around and invest more time (and money) into the game. A strong competitive scene with good rewards encourages such communities to form, grow, and improve: it creates goals players can work towards after they have a garage full of tier X tanks. However, if the barrier of entry is too high; the goal too far, it will discourage players who otherwise would have become far more engaged in the game. To this end, it needs to be easier for new players to reach competitive parity in terms of their accounts versus long-time players, not harder.

Please, don't add improved equipment and directives. There is plenty of other ways to reward players who do well in ranked battles without giving them an advantage over everyone else.

So much this.  I'll gladly play Ranked Battles over and over till my fingers bleed if I can outfit my tanks with Ranked Battle Exclusive Camos.  For an extra 2.5% reload or view range?  Yeah, no thanks.  I've done that grind before (World of Warcraft or ANY other tedious endgame content grind for a single 1% increase in performance....yeah no thanks.)

Besides good/great players don't need more advantages over poor to average players.  Don't increase the "skill" gap by adding gear that newer players can't access;  just reeks off World of Warcraft gear requirements before Raids.  If the average WoT player doesn't know what gear checks are, WoW actually had a system that assigned points to players based on their gear layout; the better the gear, the higher the player was scored--> skill wasn't one iota or a part of the equation.  It pushed a lot of casual players out of the game and only allowed the jobless or the sleep deprived the advantages--it was and still is a mess imo.

SparkleFunHorse #45 Posted May 09 2017 - 00:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 24667 battles

Restrict the upgraded equipment and directives to Ranked battles only - do not allow these upgrades into pub games.

I have a tier X tank, and am on my way to obtain a few more... but this does not mean that I would relish upgrading lower tier'd tanks with these improvements - can you imagine an E 25 or Skorp G (or any OP premium tank, for that matter) with these upgrades? Seal-clubbing at tier 8, and all other tiers for sure.

Make Ranked Battles available for tier 6 & 8, allowing less experienced players that don't have tier X tanks to participate.

Edited by SparkleFunHorse, May 09 2017 - 00:17.

YourLieInApril #46 Posted May 09 2017 - 00:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 804 battles

What times are Ranked Battles available? because it will not work for me

Error:
This event is currently unavailable. Follow the latest news on the game portal.

Edited by YourLieInApril, May 09 2017 - 00:58.

Steel_Warrior63 #47 Posted May 09 2017 - 01:44

Private

• -Players-
  • 2675 battles

don't play it especially if you are NA player been stuck in query for 3 days now and no answer from anyone at WG what so ever

they need to just dump this because it DON'T WORK!!!!

Edited by Steel_Warrior63, May 09 2017 - 01:47.

KingofDragons #48 Posted May 09 2017 - 05:48

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16349 battles
i agree.. the improved equipment should not be transferable to random battles.. My Type 5 is running at 4290 dpm with new 12.5% rammer and 2.5% orderly ammo rack.. Will shoot even faster with the new improved ventilation ..

MountainGoatNoName #49 Posted May 09 2017 - 06:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE

View PostUnknown0ne, on May 06 2017 - 21:42, said:

Basically, improved equipment and directives have no benefit (to the game) beyond being a reward for ranked battles, while being detrimental to the game balance and making it even harder for newer players to get into the high level competitive scene. Further, improved equipment and directives are completely unnecessary; there are plenty of other ways to incentivise players to play the game mode. Gold, credits, unique/rare premium tanks, boosters, camouflages, etc... or even just making it a profitable mode to play.

This is the most accessible competitive mode.  It's best way for new player to get into the competitive scene. No need to join a clan with a list of requirements. No need to follow others' call. Just a tierX tank. 

This is the most balanced game mode. No platoon. No different tiers. Skill based matchmaking.

Unknown0ne #50 Posted May 09 2017 - 06:32

Captain

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 27381 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA

View PostMountainGoatNoName, on May 09 2017 - 00:05, said:

This is the most accessible competitive mode.  It's best way for new player to get into the competitive scene. No need to join a clan with a list of requirements. No need to follow others' call. Just a tierX tank. 

This is the most balanced game mode. No platoon. No different tiers. Skill based matchmaking.

My complaints have nothing to do with the mode and everything to do with the rewards.

But, to my view, this game mode is no more a competitive mode than random battles are; two randomly assigned teams facing off is not a competitive mode, it's a random mode. 

MountainGoatNoName #51 Posted May 09 2017 - 06:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE

View PostUnknown0ne, on May 09 2017 - 06:32, said:

But, to my view, this game mode is no more a competitive mode than random battles are; two randomly assigned teams facing off is not a competitive mode, it's a random mode. 

Well. It's the individual competition to see who can be the top of  leader board.

Edited by MountainGoatNoName, May 09 2017 - 06:50.

Aahz_Fess #52 Posted May 12 2017 - 18:14

Private

• Players
  • 13365 battles

- Ranking system looks fine. If difficulty need to be increased then it can be added after rank 5 (or may be have more permanent ranks in between), until that looks fair.

- Animation about receiving/losing rank looks to annoying. The first time it nice, but to see it every time - too much. May be option to disable it.

- New mission system UI does not looks good, too complicated and very hard to go to end of it.

- Not sure if it is a bug or new feature: after track repair tank does not move immediately. Extremely annoying. Now in many cases track hit will be resulted in death.

Edited by Aahz_Fess, May 12 2017 - 18:24.

scoutsout7 #53 Posted May 12 2017 - 23:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 50560 battles
  • [TCDBD] TCDBD

There is a major problem with the test sever I have logged in twice once when it first went online and second after the small patch and I still get stuck in joining battle something is not right and this should be addressed please. 

I_DIE_ALOT_2 #54 Posted May 14 2017 - 06:01

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 15130 battles
  • [MCHNR] MCHNR

Scenario 1:  Person A who has the time to sit and play all day long on a Saturday (and for the sake of numbers let's say plays 300 matches in a day) will rocket up the rank list really fast.  This same player A who plays 300 matches may win only 100 or 33%.  But will still log 100 wins and possibly will log over 80-85 top 12's and will earn 80-85 Chevrons in 1 day.

Scenario 2:  Person B who plays on the same Saturday who only logs 100 games on that Saturday...but wins at a 60% rate will log 60 wins and possibly at a 100% top 12 rate will earn 60 Chevrons.

Ultimately the less skilled Player A who does nothing but BOT or Spam games in the scenario I have listed above will be placed higher on the RANKED list over the clearly superior skilled Player B.  In IMHO this is terrible and is not how a "TOP RANKED" player should be defined.  A BOT or player who plays like a BOT doing very little for the team but enough to earn a top 12 should not even be in consideration for a top rank position.

As i read it if you only won 33% you would loose more chevrons than you gain so would never get past rank 1 but i think it should get progressively harder to rank up like top 12 get a chevron from rank 1 to 2 then only top 10 from rank 2 to 3 then only the top 8 from rank 3 to 4 ect.. 

Edited by I_DIE_ALOT_2, May 14 2017 - 06:04.

simba90 #55 Posted May 14 2017 - 21:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12592 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE

View PostI_DIE_ALOT_2, on May 14 2017 - 06:01, said:

Scenario 1:  Person A who has the time to sit and play all day long on a Saturday (and for the sake of numbers let's say plays 300 matches in a day) will rocket up the rank list really fast.  This same player A who plays 300 matches may win only 100 or 33%.  But will still log 100 wins and possibly will log over 80-85 top 12's and will earn 80-85 Chevrons in 1 day.

Scenario 2:  Person B who plays on the same Saturday who only logs 100 games on that Saturday...but wins at a 60% rate will log 60 wins and possibly at a 100% top 12 rate will earn 60 Chevrons.

Ultimately the less skilled Player A who does nothing but BOT or Spam games in the scenario I have listed above will be placed higher on the RANKED list over the clearly superior skilled Player B.  In IMHO this is terrible and is not how a "TOP RANKED" player should be defined.  A BOT or player who plays like a BOT doing very little for the team but enough to earn a top 12 should not even be in consideration for a top rank position.

As i read it if you only won 33% you would loose more chevrons than you gain so would never get past rank 1 but i think it should get progressively harder to rank up like top 12 get a chevron from rank 1 to 2 then only top 10 from rank 2 to 3 then only the top 8 from rank 3 to 4 ect..

What the current system does is that it puts the rewards within reach of anyone that is willing to spend the time playing for them.

The net effect of the advanced equipment is being completely overblown currently. And the real game changers currently are the crew directives.

These are going to help new players/crew much much more than experienced players.

New players can suddenly have 6th sense on their crew without having to grind for it. or suddenly their heavy tank has full repairs or some other crewskill.

Lets put down the pitchforks for a moment and take an objective look at what this is rather than just parroting the call that this will just reward the top echelon of players.

Granted, the top players will get more rewards. but the rewards for the lower skilled players are actually going to have a bigger effect than they realise.

And anyone willing to put in the effort will be able to earn rewards.

Go have a look at the current leaderboard on the test server. 90% of the people in the top 100 have a PR of less the 8k and lot have a RP of less than 7k. Sure they have to play more games but they still get the rewards that they so want.

Old_Bastard #56 Posted May 15 2017 - 02:00

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4319 battles
  • [L-N-L] L-N-L

View Postcore101, on May 08 2017 - 15:05, said:

I can't agree with more. This new bonds thing will make those newbies more frustrated. thlike myself ey may end up quitting this game sooner. If WG really want to reward those good players, they can reward them a special badge based on their performance in the rank battle. WG shouldn't let good players dominate the game ALL THE TIME. By giving the other players a chance to stand out is the key to keeping  more players joining this game. 

I agree on newer players like myself getting very frustrated,  maybe they could come up with a ranking system based on games played vs win-rate in the tier 4-6 area for example. Some players just don't have as much time, because of work/family but still enjoy the game. What do you think?

LordOfFish #57 Posted May 15 2017 - 23:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 14782 battles
  • [LDSH] LDSH

I think what's going to settle this is how the ranked battle economy is set.  If bonds are set that the best players who play ranked battles can only have maybe 10-12 pieces of improved equipment over a playing career, then I can live with it.  If it's set so that everybody who plays at least decently well can get at least one piece of equipment per season, then I can live with that as well.   I'm sure everybody has at least one favourite tank they would love to buff up even more.  What I'm worried about is the situation where a quarter of the player base is drowning in improved equipment, and the rest of the player base gets nothing.

Of course, we might all be worried about nothing - are there really a lot of situations where that extra 2.5% actually makes the difference between a win and a loss?  Like sure, I can think of games where having that faster quarter second reload (for example) would be the difference between kill and be killed -- but that's maybe a dozen games?  Maybe 2 dozen?  Let's be generous and say even a hundred games, where that reload was significant and would have resulted in loss turning into a win.   Over the around 14,000 games I've played so far, that's statistically insignificant.

As well, to amplify something somebody said earlier, the difference between a 50% crew and a 100% 5 skill crew is much more significant than the difference improved equipment makes.   So all of this might just get lost in the noise of regular game play. 

WANTATAC0 #58 Posted May 19 2017 - 00:19

Private

• Players
  • 17257 battles

I would first like to point out that I think the Ranked game concept would be a wonderful addition to the game, however this can only be said under the right circumstances. This is highly hypothetical, but it is a concern none-the-less. As it stands, solo queing in random battle tier 10 nets you a relative quick wait time to go into game, about up to a minute usually. Whereas platooning with two to three people generally ends up between 3 to 12 minutes with varying tank type compositions. If players choose not to play ranked against the masses or even vice versa, you are splitting the usual 100-180 players in a que (at peak hours) into two game modes. While ranked will only have one tier to play and will likely not suffer the wait times the random que does, you have now ruined the random battles population and it will likely suffer unplayable wait times. This now reinforces people to play solo in your new game mode, which is again, likely what you want, but unfair to the players who don't want to be forced to play a game mode just to play tanks.

My next point is enhanced equipment you can receive. I am under the impression once obtained, you can mount them on any tier vehicle able to mount its type. Not only this, but then play in random battles with it. Why would you give players even more advantages against unskilled players for them to 'pubstomp'? In order to keep the game remotely fair, all players should have equal access to all types of usable rounds (remember how you let people pay credits for 'gold' rounds? This allowed more balance to the game.), equipment, and consumables. These are all readily available with credits to purchase, whereas you must spend time HOPING that you get the needed amount of bonds each season in order to get such equipment. My counter to this would be to not allow usage of these bond equipments in random battles or CW(CW especially) And instead add a separate row above the equipment you have that will be used over the original. This way you still must pay to demount or destroy the bond equipment but not the need to switch out your normal equipment and bond equipment each time(or pay for it).

With this method, hypothetically speaking, players of the same 'skill rank' as you in ranked will likely have the same odds as you for having the bond equipment that you do, thus a more fair match.

I hope you will take each segment of my feedback into consideration, while the new game mode (in my opinion) will be fun to play because I will have (and be pitted again) closely skilled players, I strongly believe the random battles will suffer when queing tier 9 & 10 tanks. Not only this, but what game modes you allow players to use the bond equipment in will determine the public's opinion of 'fairness' in your game. And as it stands, I don't think NA World of Tanks can take another hit in that department.

P.S. I would like to see the ability to platoon with one other person in ranked, I get a little lonely playing by myself. I need a friend to know I can count on. Because let's be real, everyone is going to be focused on getting their bonds rather than helping a teammate in need, even in ranked.

KOS762 #59 Posted May 19 2017 - 01:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 25909 battles
  • [MOWR] MOWR
Ok so I have read most of this post, seems we dont want the ranked battle perks.... it would be helpful  to many players, against those who dont play, very very true...almost makes me laugh inside a bit.  What if you collected uses, like consumables? so if you had "earned" a ranked battle perk,  it could either 1. Be used only once, outside of ranked battles, then its gone.  or... 2. exclusive to the tank, that earned the perk... so if i used a Mutz to get the perk,  then its stuck on the mutz, only.       ...   Just a thought.

KingofDragons #60 Posted May 19 2017 - 11:17

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16349 battles

They need to make it 10 from winning team and 5 from losing team because the 4th and 5th players on losing side are way better than the 11 and 12th place players on the winning side.. The 4th and 5th have also spent way more money for those spots than the 11th and 12th .. You can be in 11th and 12th position by doing only 600 to 700 damage compared to the 4th and 5th which can be anywheres from 1700 to 2500 damage..

Makes no sense to reward players that don't even damage their own HP's worth and riding others coat tails ..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users